What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (4 Viewers)

Moe Green

Footballguy
Had high hopes for this guy this season -- waited late to draft a QB and he was the best one available. Oh woe is me. He seems to make poor decisions, particularly in the red zone, and he has no one to throw to but Gates and occassionally LT. Rivers may be dropped for Harrington this week. :screwed:

Last edited by a moderator:
Had high hopes for this guy this season -- waited late to draft a QB and he was the best one available. Oh woe is me. He seems to make poor decisions, particularly in the red zone, and he has no one to throw to but Gates and occassionally LT. Rivers may be dropped for Harrington this week. :goodposting: :screwed:
I normally don't do this, but I dropped him after week two. Very brutal schedule.

I don't totally agree with this. Outside of Gates, his RECEIVERS suck. Vincent Jackson has to be the worst #1WR for any team in the league. He's dropping sure touchdown passes right in his mitts. That one yesterday on the sideline was laughable.

Not sure what your scoring system is but Eli has scored 37, 14, 11, and 10 in ours. Never good whena QB goes down each week. Just be happy that you dont have Brees :lmao:

And I thought I overdrafted at the QB position when I took Rivers, Losman, and Harrington late. Chose Rivers over Romo. :lmao: If I knew then that Harrington was going to be my most promising QB going into week 5 .... :lmao:

I don't totally agree with this. Outside of Gates, his RECEIVERS suck. Vincent Jackson has to be the worst #1WR for any team in the league. He's dropping sure touchdown passes right in his mitts. That one yesterday on the sideline was laughable.
True, but he isn't playing well, making poor, hurried decisions. He is not in sync with LT on their swing passes and decided not to throw it to him because there was a defender within 15 yards of LT and he would've had to beat someone for a TD. Oh no, don't leave it up to LT to beat someone. He could never do that!Here's something Rivers and Turner should learn. When the game is on the line, the man you want the ball to be carried by is #21.

Bet they wish they had Eli right about now.
Would rather have Carr, Joey, or even Grossman rather than She-li......
Combined, those losers have as many wins as starters this year as Eli, and 5 more losses. Whatever you say because you really are showing a lack of football knowledge with that ridiculous statement.
I doubt you find any Charger fan that would take She-Li back.......you apparently don't know much about the Chargers with that ridiculous comment.Rivers has been bad this year, but there is a lot to the poor line play, poor offense calling, and horrible horrible receiving corps....

looks like I might be the only one to say this.....but I am actually thinking about trying to aquire Rivers on the cheap right now......Eli is my number #1 backed by Garcia, Garrad....

I think SD will turn it around soon and Rivers could have some nice games down the road.....

I think now is the time to buy low on Rivers for those looking to add some depth to their QB position...

I think Jeff Pasq. called it right in the preseason - Between his schedule & not being that good he ranked him in the 20s (& took a bunch of heat for it)...So far he definitely looks right.

looks like I might be the only one to say this.....but I am actually thinking about trying to aquire Rivers on the cheap right now......Eli is my number #1 backed by Garcia, Garrad....I think SD will turn it around soon and Rivers could have some nice games down the road.....I think now is the time to buy low on Rivers for those looking to add some depth to their QB position...
You're not the only one, I agree. Of course, I am the biggest Rivers fan on the board, so I suppose that is a given for me.

I think Jeff Pasq. called it right in the preseason - Between his schedule & not being that good he ranked him in the 20s (& took a bunch of heat for it)...So far he definitely looks right.
Thanks to absolutely HORRIBLE play by both the Charger OL and Vincent Jackson, Jeff Pasq's ranking looks good after 4 games. I will be shocked if the OL and VJax don't improve their play immediately, and Rivers will rightfully take his place ~ QB8-QB10.

Rivers looks pretty bad to me right now. You can only blame the offensive line and receivers so much. He's making bad reads, bad decisions and bad throws - I'm talking moon balls and ducks even when he's not getting pressured.

MOP was right, he's a must sit - though I wouldn't drop him, yet.

drafted Rivers as my #1 late ... took Hasselbeck even later .. have not started Rivers all season.,,TG

I thought he would be "decent" Fantasy wise ... but he has been anything but.

Combined, those losers have as many wins as starters this year as Eli, and 5 more losses. Whatever you say because you really are showing a lack of football knowledge with that ridiculous statement.
I doubt you find any Charger fan that would take She-Li back.......you apparently don't know much about the Chargers with that ridiculous comment.Rivers has been bad this year, but there is a lot to the poor line play, poor offense calling, and horrible horrible receiving corps....
Fouts, I disagree. If I am a SD fan, I woudl much rather have Eli than Rivers. The Giants have a VERY poor pass blocking line and Eli gets hurried and battered. they do have a good run blocking line, but now think of the weapons at each of their disposal. Just having LT should make the case. Outside of that you really have only 3 guys worth taling about in Plax, Shockey and Gates. But there is NO question I take Gates and LT over Shockey (always hurt) and Plax. The thing that has really surprised me is how weak Rivers arm is. He looks like Pennington when he throws.

Just Win Baby said:
Stinkin Ref said:
looks like I might be the only one to say this.....but I am actually thinking about trying to aquire Rivers on the cheap right now......Eli is my number #1 backed by Garcia, Garrad....I think SD will turn it around soon and Rivers could have some nice games down the road.....I think now is the time to buy low on Rivers for those looking to add some depth to their QB position...
You're not the only one, I agree. Of course, I am the biggest Rivers fan on the board, so I suppose that is a given for me.
I know you have stated before that you are a Chargers fan, and I'm assuming you became a Chargers fan because Philip Rivers plays for them. Who did you pull for (in the NFL) before Rivers became a Charger?

Liquid Tension said:
DanFouts said:
FavreCo said:
DanFouts said:
FavreCo said:
Fouts, I disagree. If I am a SD fan, I woudl much rather have Eli than Rivers. The Giants have a VERY poor pass blocking line and Eli gets hurried and battered. they do have a good run blocking line, but now think of the weapons at each of their disposal. Just having LT should make the case. Outside of that you really have only 3 guys worth taling about in Plax, Shockey and Gates. But there is NO question I take Gates and LT over Shockey (always hurt) and Plax. The thing that has really surprised me is how weak Rivers arm is. He looks like Pennington when he throws.
Are you? My point was that Eli and the Chargers will always have a link and a negative one at that. Based on his behavior, I don't like the guy. Most Charger fans don't like him. I'd go with any other QB (better or worse) then She-li.....would be curious to see what MT and Gunz thought....

Liquid Tension said:
DanFouts said:
FavreCo said:
DanFouts said:
FavreCo said:
Are you? My point was that Eli and the Chargers will always have a link and a negative one at that. Based on his behavior, I don't like the guy. Most Charger fans don't like him. I'd go with any other QB (better or worse) then She-li.....would be curious to see what MT and Gunz thought....
I would rather have Rivers. A couple subpar games with the OL and WRs struggling does not mean I'm ready to ignore River's Pro Bowl performance and 14-3 record last year. NE and Chicago are excellent defensively, and Rivers played well against GB. So really, yesterday was the first poor game I've seen from Philip when he really could have made a difference. And in his defense, VJax dropped that TD that was a perfect strike, and Rivers was hit as soon as the ball was thrown on that long wobbly duck that was picked off. Not sure who was at fault on the INT that went right by LT's head when he wasn't looking.River's career record as a starter is now 15-6.

I've never been a River fan. I did eat my crow last year though, up until the *Patriot game.

He has some real problems in his reading and throwing deep after the snap. No doubt about. (At least no doubts for me)

And his leadership value seems to be taking some serious blows currently. ugh Not who I want at QB. He can still improve though.

I've never been a River fan. I did eat my crow last year though, up until the *Patriot game.He has some real problems in his reading and throwing deep after the snap. No doubt about. (At least no doubts for me)And his leadership value seems to be taking some serious blows currently. ugh Not who I want at QB. He cant still improve though.
Wow. Rivers' accuracy, ability to make the correct reads, and his leadership are widely considered his strongest attributes. Amazing how perception changes after a couple of subpar games. I repeat: Rivers is 15-6 as an NFL starter. His losses are: NE (2), Balt, GB, KC (2). Yesterday was his first regular season home loss.

I've never been a River fan. I did eat my crow last year though, up until the *Patriot game.He has some real problems in his reading and throwing deep after the snap. No doubt about. (At least no doubts for me)And his leadership value seems to be taking some serious blows currently. ugh Not who I want at QB. He cant still improve though.
Wow. Rivers' accuracy, ability to make the correct reads, and his leadership are widely considered his strongest attributes. Amazing how perception changes after a couple of subpar games. I repeat: Rivers is 15-6 as an NFL starter. His losses are: NE (2), Balt, GB, KC (2). Yesterday was his first regular season home loss.
He hasn't looked great since about week 14 last year. And this year he's looked awful except for flashes in the GB game. He's regressing, sharply. If you can't admit that, you're WAAAAAYYYYY more of a homer than I thought.

He hasn't looked great since about week 14 last year. And this year he's looked awful except for flashes in the GB game. He's regressing, sharply. If you can't admit that, you're WAAAAAYYYYY more of a homer than I thought.
What else is new.

"flashes" in the GB game? His QB rating was like 116, he hit his first 15 passes, and end up with > 300 yards. I thought he looked good yesterday in the first half, and how can you blame him for that drop by VJax, which would have pulled the Chargers to within 7. No doubt that he's struggling, but a lot of the blame must be shared, IMO.

Fighting Noles said:
:mellow:but I don't revel in having players suck. It isn't good for fans, but I just really read the tea leaves on both Rivers and his circumstances and called it like I saw it. While not the "Perfect Storm", it hasn't been very good at all for Rivers so far.I still think he has a decent playoff schedule in December, if you dare go and get him and stash him away as your backup, but there remain lots of better options out there.

Tommy I am speaking on specifically deep passes where he has to make a decision and read after the snap. Before the snap he is fine. When he throws deep to his main target he is fine. --But many times he has already made up his mind where he throwing deep when he leaves the huddle... and if that person is covered, here comes a bad bad decision and throw when he tries to make a read during the play and change off to the next receiver. He does dump the ball off very well and even got into some issues over his continuance to dump. Not that it s bad thing and not that the Chargers dont use it a ton anyway. But he was not finding his second and third options on deeper routes when they needed large amount of yardage and his primary was covered.Im talking about football and particularly the quarterback... not a w/l record of the chargers as a team.My perception has never changed on him. Ive been constant and last year he made me eat crow because what he was doing worked. But he still has a problem with the area I pointed to once again.[edit]Sorry for all the typos.

Tommy I am speaking on specifically deep passes where he has to make a decision and read after the snap. Before the snap he is fine. When he throws deep to his main target he is fine. --But many times he has already made up his mind where he throwing deep when he leaves the huddle... and if that person is covered, here comes a bad bad decision and throw when he tries to make a read during the play and change off to the next receiver. He does dump the ball off very well and even got into some issues over his continuance to dump. Not tahts it s abd thing and not that the Chargers dont use it a ton anyway. But he was not find his second and third options on deeper routes when they needed large amount of yardage and his primary was covered.Im talking about football and particularly the quarterback... not a w/l record of the chargers as a team.My perception has never changed on him. Ive been constant and last year he made me eat crow because what he was doing worked. But he still has a probnlem with the area I pointed to once again.
Fair enough. I agree that he hasn't looked special this season. I put a lot of that blame on the OL and his WRs, but Rivers hasn't played extremely well either. I expect that to change, but may be wrong. Perhaps last year was an illusion, and we should judge Rivers on 4 games in '07 compared to 17 games in '06.

I've been saying this for over a year. :shrug:
You've also been saying over a year how great Matt Leinart is, and how Vince Young is overrated.
A) Matt Leinart will be great and I'm genuinely stunned at his early season performance, although it's not as bad as some are making out.B) VY will be decent until he can't win with his legs...and then he will suck.

I've been saying this for over a year. :lol:
You and I were alone on that island for quite some time, IIRC.
I thought it virtually impossible to suck with LT in the backfield. Norv has made it happen.
Rivers is the same. Most of the players are the same. The coaching is different. Rivers sucks for ffl, but I don't think we can say he sucks as a player. I blame the coaching. That being said, D. Anderson is looking better all the time.

I don't know if he'll come around or not. I am sick of waiting for it.

What I do know is that Schaub or Culpepper will be my starting QB going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread