What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Philip Rivers, RET (3 Viewers)

Rivers is really good.He may not be a top five fantasy QB every year (although he certainly may be). But he's definitely a top 5 NFL QB, IMO.
I disagree. He's good but not great. But love him or hate him, I think he has one of the ugliest throws in the league. A ball thrown from Rivers looks like Rosie O'Donnell in flight.
My first react to "Top 5" was "no way", but I struggled with finding 5 better. I checked my Dynasty Rankings and I have Rivers at #9, but I can easily see him anywhere from 5 - 10. After Brees, Peyton, Cutler and a healthy Brady the debate begins. Not sure what that says more - that Rivers belongs at 5, or that the league needs better QB play. Romo, Rodgers, Ryan and Big Ben along with McNabb are on par with Rivers at this point IMHO - all of them have gaps in their game.For Rivers to be in that top tier he needs another season like this and then he'll belong in the Top 5.
I assume you are talking NFL (not fantasy here). It kind of hard to not talk about the other Qb who he was drafted with. While Rivers may have the stats, Eli has won the big games.
He said dynasty, not NFL. Easy to see as Cutler is clearly not NFL top 5 given his tendency to not show up / throw balls into triple coverage.NFL Tiers:1. Manning and Brady2. Roethlisburger3. Brees, McNabb4. Romo, Cutler, Rivers5. Half a dozen guysNext year, valuating Romo, Cutler and Rivers will come down to risk / reward, in roughly that order....
I don't see Roethlisberger being above Brees and McNabb. McNabb doesn't get the credit he deserves IMO and I am a Giant (and Dolphin) fan. Eli is in that 4th tier as well that rounds out around 10th.

Neil Beaufort Zod said:
SeniorVBDStudent said:
Just Win Baby said:
Rivers is really good.He may not be a top five fantasy QB every year (although he certainly may be). But he's definitely a top 5 NFL QB, IMO.
I disagree. He's good but not great. But love him or hate him, I think he has one of the ugliest throws in the league. A ball thrown from Rivers looks like Rosie O'Donnell in flight.
My first react to "Top 5" was "no way", but I struggled with finding 5 better. I checked my Dynasty Rankings and I have Rivers at #9, but I can easily see him anywhere from 5 - 10. After Brees, Peyton, Cutler and a healthy Brady the debate begins. Not sure what that says more - that Rivers belongs at 5, or that the league needs better QB play. Romo, Rodgers, Ryan and Big Ben along with McNabb are on par with Rivers at this point IMHO - all of them have gaps in their game.For Rivers to be in that top tier he needs another season like this and then he'll belong in the Top 5.
I assume you are talking NFL (not fantasy here). It kind of hard to not talk about the other Qb who he was drafted with. While Rivers may have the stats, Eli has won the big games.
He said dynasty, not NFL. Easy to see as Cutler is clearly not NFL top 5 given his tendency to not show up / throw balls into triple coverage.NFL Tiers:1. Manning and Brady2. Roethlisburger3. Brees, McNabb4. Romo, Cutler, Rivers5. Half a dozen guysNext year, valuating Romo, Cutler and Rivers will come down to risk / reward, in roughly that order....
From an NFL perspective, what is the basis for putting Cutler in the same tier as Romo and Rivers? His record as a starter is 17-20, and he has never played in a playoff game. His career QB rating is 87.1, and it has gone down each season. And going forward, he has lost Shanahan... hard to believe that will be a positive for him.Please elaborate.
Upside.
Do you mean that a guy with a losing record who lost his biggest fan in the organization after the team surrendered a big division lead to miss the playoffs has nowhere to go but up? I guess that's upside.
Cutler did not finish the year playing well, but he clearly has some very good tools (and I am not just talking about strong arm). Answering the how do you rank QB's if you don't look at QB rating is a long post in itself, but Chase is correct; why would you judge how good a player is when 85% of the reason why you get wins is out of his control? The QB is the single most important position on the field, but still makes up 15% of the outcome in most games. How many times did we hear that Peyton couldn't win the big game; then his defense won the game for him and he is a winner? BS.People say Roethlisberger is a winner, but he has the worst performance of any winning QB in the history of the SB; if anything they won in spite of him. Football is the ultimate team sport!

I admit I don't get to see a lot of the Chargers, but is Philip Rivers always that horrible a passer when on the run? Every single time I saw him on the run, he wasn't even close. Now I know he threw a lot of balls away to avoid a sack, but every time he attempted to pass the ball to a receiver, he wasn't within 10 ft of the guy.

Is this always the case?

why would you judge how good a player is when 85% of the reason why you get wins is out of his control?
seemed to be a good enough criteria for the probowl and mvp voters
:unsure:
Doesn't that underscore why it is a bad measurement? Are you going to tell me that Flacco and T. Jackson are better QB's than (fill in the blank) because they won a lot of games and are still alive in the playoffs?C'mon, this is the shark pool.

why would you judge how good a player is when 85% of the reason why you get wins is out of his control?
:popcorn:
Doesn't that underscore why it is a bad measurement? Are you going to tell me that Flacco and T. Jackson are better QB's than (fill in the blank) because they won a lot of games and are still alive in the playoffs?C'mon, this is the shark pool.
T. Jackson isn't still alive in the playoffs.

I admit I don't get to see a lot of the Chargers, but is Philip Rivers always that horrible a passer when on the run? Every single time I saw him on the run, he wasn't even close. Now I know he threw a lot of balls away to avoid a sack, but every time he attempted to pass the ball to a receiver, he wasn't within 10 ft of the guy.Is this always the case?
He did complete a 25 yarder to Chambers on the run in the Colts game, but it is true that he didn't look good on most of his other throws on the run. He usually is better than he was in that game, though this is definitely not a strength for him. He has never been particularly mobile, and I'm sure the fact that he had ACL surgery about a year ago hasn't helped him in that regard. But like some others, he is usually pretty good at moving in the pocket. The Colts got a lot of pressure on him the other day, and forced him out of his comfort zone a lot.

I admit I don't get to see a lot of the Chargers, but is Philip Rivers always that horrible a passer when on the run? Every single time I saw him on the run, he wasn't even close. Now I know he threw a lot of balls away to avoid a sack, but every time he attempted to pass the ball to a receiver, he wasn't within 10 ft of the guy.Is this always the case?
He is not great on the run, and most of the time does not run. That said he did lead the league in passer rating and bested Manning in yards, tds, and ratings. He was under some severe pressure Sat Night, alot of those throw aways were broken screens though. Throwing cross body on the run agains the Colts secondary is not a recipe to win the game. Most pocket type Qbs are not great on the run.

:popcorn:
T. Jackson isn't still alive in the playoffs.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: & :own3d:

He did complete a 25 yarder to Chambers on the run in the Colts game
The Colts allowed 6 passing TDs this year. 6. That's the fewest since like 1973 (Dolphins, I think), and that was without Bob Sanders alot of the year. They are a very good pass DEF and most teams elected to run on them with pounders. Michael Freaking Bennett got some decent numbers in limited duty. Sproles is not a pounder (but sure sealed the deal with the 23 yard TD rushing).He was without Malcolm Floyd and a fully healthy Gates. He had no power running game.I think Rivers was very impressive most of the year (only 1 or two clunkers) and after skipping on a trade for him, I would consider him over someone like Cutler to build a Dyansty Team around.

The Colts allowed 6 passing TDs this year. 6. That's the fewest since like 1973 (Dolphins, I think), and that was without Bob Sanders alot of the year. They are a very good pass DEF and most teams elected to run on them with pounders. Michael Freaking Bennett got some decent numbers in limited duty. Sproles is not a pounder (but sure sealed the deal with the 23 yard TD rushing).He was without Malcolm Floyd and a fully healthy Gates. He had no power running game.
And in their first meeting this season, Rivers threw 2 of those 6 TDs allowed by the Colts this year. :bag:

Not sure if people around here will see this as positive or negative...

Rivers runs a faith-first play always

Philip Rivers is best known to Triangle residents for his achievements on the football field, but on Saturday, the former N.C. State University star headlined an event about faith.

At the seventh annual Ignited by Truth Catholic Conference, Rivers told the crowd of 2,500 that he believes in faith, family and then football -- in that order.

Now the starting quarterback for the San Diego Chargers, Rivers started 51 games in his years at N.C. State -- an NCAA record. He also shattered several other school and conference records while he was there.

Addressing a cavernous room at the new Raleigh Convention Center, Rivers said football and faith intertwine in his life.

He recalled stories of being an altar boy as a child in Alabama, catching cabs to go to Mass before bowl games in college and making sure to attend the team Mass each Sunday once he reached the NFL.

"I always felt like I had an edge on the opponent," he joked.

Rivers also offered more serious advice for young people in the audience, primarily encouraging them to choose their friends wisely and control impulses.

"I always felt the hardest word to say is, 'no,' " he said. "But when you learn to say it, you gain a lot of respect."

And, Rivers offered advice for the fathers in the audience, too, drawing on his experience with his four children.

"The thing our kids hunger and thirst for is our time," he said. "And believe me, I have to fake it real hard that I care about those Barbie dolls."

Finally, Rivers touched on recent history, addressing the Chargers' 2008 football season, when the team started 4-8 but won its final four games to make it into the playoffs before being eliminated by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"Of course I didn't want to be 4-8," he said. "But it's in times of adversity that you find out the most about how you're going to execute the game plan. It's when you find out about your teammates and yourself."

Jim Shaughnessy, the registration coordinator for the conference, introduced Rivers and called him a "fine Catholic gentleman."

"He's a father image to many teenagers," he said. "We are delighted to have him here."

Not sure if people around here will see this as positive or negative...

Rivers runs a faith-first play always

Philip Rivers is best known to Triangle residents for his achievements on the football field, but on Saturday, the former N.C. State University star headlined an event about faith.

At the seventh annual Ignited by Truth Catholic Conference, Rivers told the crowd of 2,500 that he believes in faith, family and then football -- in that order.

Now the starting quarterback for the San Diego Chargers, Rivers started 51 games in his years at N.C. State -- an NCAA record. He also shattered several other school and conference records while he was there.

Addressing a cavernous room at the new Raleigh Convention Center, Rivers said football and faith intertwine in his life.

He recalled stories of being an altar boy as a child in Alabama, catching cabs to go to Mass before bowl games in college and making sure to attend the team Mass each Sunday once he reached the NFL.

"I always felt like I had an edge on the opponent," he joked.

Rivers also offered more serious advice for young people in the audience, primarily encouraging them to choose their friends wisely and control impulses.

"I always felt the hardest word to say is, 'no,' " he said. "But when you learn to say it, you gain a lot of respect."

And, Rivers offered advice for the fathers in the audience, too, drawing on his experience with his four children.

"The thing our kids hunger and thirst for is our time," he said. "And believe me, I have to fake it real hard that I care about those Barbie dolls."

Finally, Rivers touched on recent history, addressing the Chargers' 2008 football season, when the team started 4-8 but won its final four games to make it into the playoffs before being eliminated by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"Of course I didn't want to be 4-8," he said. "But it's in times of adversity that you find out the most about how you're going to execute the game plan. It's when you find out about your teammates and yourself."

Jim Shaughnessy, the registration coordinator for the conference, introduced Rivers and called him a "fine Catholic gentleman."

"He's a father image to many teenagers," he said. "We are delighted to have him here."
You would think if someone had so much "faith" they wouldn't come across as a jerk. Besides, I don't care to mix religion and football, just like I don't care to hear from players like Warner thanking God for scoring touchdowns. Somehow I don't think God cares that much about football.

You would think if someone had so much "faith" they wouldn't come across as a jerk. Besides, I don't care to mix religion and football, just like I don't care to hear from players like Warner thanking God for scoring touchdowns. Somehow I don't think God cares that much about football.
Mixing religion or not, Rivers is a great guy, and he is the most miscast player in the NFL. My best friend in highschool was battling cancer at the time when Rivers was a star at NC State. My friend was a diehard State fan and his family never missed a game. Phillip visited Tom once or twice a week when he was at Duke hospital before he passed, not because he had to, but because he cared. I spent time with Phillip during this period as he went with Tom and I bowling, to the movies, whatever the case may be. I've been around many professional athletes and I can safely say Phillip is a rare breed.

Mixing religion or not, Rivers is a great guy, and he is the most miscast player in the NFL. My best friend in highschool was battling cancer at the time when Rivers was a star at NC State. My friend was a diehard State fan and his family never missed a game. Phillip visited Tom once or twice a week when he was at Duke hospital before he passed, not because he had to, but because he cared. I spent time with Phillip during this period as he went with Tom and I bowling, to the movies, whatever the case may be. I've been around many professional athletes and I can safely say Phillip is a rare breed.
I'm sold, but I still don't want to hear Kurt Warner thanking God for his touchdowns :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sold, but I still don't want to hear Kurt Warner thanking God for his touchdowns ;)
Kurt Warner has never thanked God for touchdowns :rolleyes: Tough for some to understand. I get it.

I'm sold, but I still don't want to hear Kurt Warner thanking God for his touchdowns :thumbup:
Kurt Warner has never thanked God for touchdowns :thumbup: Tough for some to understand. I get it.
He did thank God for his abilities after a vicotry, and that does translate to thanking God for TDs.

I'm sold, but I still don't want to hear Kurt Warner thanking God for his touchdowns :nerd:
Kurt Warner has never thanked God for touchdowns :confused: Tough for some to understand. I get it.
He did thank God for his abilities after a vicotry, and that does translate to thanking God for TDs.
What's wrong with that?

I'm sold, but I still don't want to hear Kurt Warner thanking God for his touchdowns ;)
Kurt Warner has never thanked God for touchdowns :blush: Tough for some to understand. I get it.
What's wrong with that?
Not much I guess. I just think it's silly. If there is a God, I don't think he gives a crap about football. Unless of course he has some coin on a game ;)

Sporting News Conversation: Philip Rivers

What does San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers' in-game yapping at opposing players and fans alike really say about him? What does it mean to him that he outlasted Jay Cutler in the AFC West? And can he own a division for an extended period of time like some of his heroes -- Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady -- have done in their careers?

Rivers, 27, discussed those matters, as well as his devout Catholic faith and his unique family life, in a wide-ranging Sporting News Conversation with Steve Greenberg. Here are some excerpts and outtakes from the magazine interview that is on newsstands now:

Q: You say you're going to tone down talking to opposing fans. Why would you do that? It seems like fun for both sides.

A: It is fun. There hasn't been profanity on either side; it hasn't been vulgar. In Indianapolis (in a January '08 playoff game), every completion Peyton threw: "That's how a real quarterback does it!" And then we scored and I said, "Yeah, what now?" But the reasons for toning it down are, 1) so it's not a distraction for any of us, and then 2) it wasn't explained on the SportsCenter reel like I've explained it to you. People watched it and said, "This guy's out of his mind." Not that I always worry about the perception, but I'm not going win that battle by saying I'm just having a good time.

Q: Cameras caught you gesturing to Jay Cutler during a win against the Broncos a couple of seasons ago. It sure looked like you were taunting him. Did you go too far?

A: There are obviously two sides to every story. I've seen the clip over and over. They're a division rival, our guys got a big defensive stop, they'd been going at it all day with Jay, and I was kind of congratulating Matt Wilhelm and Shaun Phillips. I had a little smirk on my face, had a little, "Atta baby, nice play!" with my eyes directed toward Jay. Is it something I regret? No, because it was clean. But I understand some of the feedback and the perception it created. Maybe it wasn't the best thing. But I can repeat everything that was said and how it went. If it doesn't get caught on TV, I don't think either one of us would have ever thought about it.

Q: How great was it for this team to hang in there last season and win the division the way you did, especially after that nutty call in Denver in Week 2?

A: It was unreal. I was talking to my wife about last season, the 4-8 (start) and how we came back. She said, "Isn't it funny how you just remember how it ended?" It's hard to put yourself back to how hard it really was and how rough and sick we felt coming in here at 4-8 and going to Wednesday practice. It was rough. ... And it was super rewarding, and a lot of people deserve a lot of credit. Norv (Turner) did a heck of a job. Maybe he doesn't get the credit he deserves for never flinching. To stand in front of the team and it looks like it's slipping away from you, it's not easy. What do you say? "Hang in there, we're almost there, keep playing hard." But he did that; he never flinched.

Q: Did you know you were going to win that final game, at home vs. the Broncos for the division title?

A: Oh, yeah. We did. And I think the whole world knew it and everybody picked us. We said, "Guys, let's do it. Don't get caught up in it." But we walked into the locker room after that crazy loss to Denver in Week 2 and Norv said, "Hey guys, Week 17 is going to be for the whole division, at our place." And it turned out that way. That was awesome.

Q: Was there a big difference between the undefeated Patriots team you lost to in the '07 playoffs and the Steelers team you lost to last postseason?

A: The records were different, but the Steelers have a disciplined, tough, nasty defense with an offense that gets it done. The atmosphere is a lot tougher in Pittsburgh. We'd already been there once, and we went right back six weeks later. That's as good and tough and nasty of a defense as I've played. They've got the great players -- (Troy) Polamalu, (James) Harrison -- but they've got so many guys who know their roles and play them to a T. We hung in there, but that third quarter was so crazy. It's hard to win a game when you run one play in a quarter.

Q: Who's the best player from your 2004 draft class?

A: I think, right now, it's Larry Fitzgerald. The things he does and how consistent he is and what he can do in one play, one catch, to change the game, is really unmatched.

Q: Here's an impossible question. If you were on a team with Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, who would start?

A: That is pretty impossible. I imagine you'd get three "I woulds" if you asked all three guys that question. I think I'd have to say I would.

Q: It's pretty neat, isn't it, how things have really worked out for you, Manning and Roethlisberger, but also for Drew Brees, whom you replaced here?

A: All four guys have continued to improve and have good careers. The one thing I really appreciated was the relationship with Drew here my first two years, what I learned from him about pushing myself and competing. He's meant a lot to this organization. Eli and Ben have a handful of Super Bowls and obviously have played great, and here in San Diego we've won a lot of football games. Since 2004, we're in the top four in games won in that span. New England, Indianapolis and the Steelers are the only teams that have won more.

Q: What was it like to play high school ball for your father in Athens, Ala.?

A: Some of the greatest memories that I've ever had. It was awesome. Ever since I was old enough to think about it, I couldn't wait to play for him. It was something both of us couldn't wait for. And then it just flies by. I'll never forget both of us literally crying our eyes out after the last game we were together. We lost in the playoffs in the quarterfinals. We were the last two in the locker room; we sat there and had a big hug. God, it was over. It was the end of it. I remember that like yesterday.

Sporting News Conversation: Philip Rivers

What does San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers' in-game yapping at opposing players and fans alike really say about him? What does it mean to him that he outlasted Jay Cutler in the AFC West? And can he own a division for an extended period of time like some of his heroes -- Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady -- have done in their careers?

Rivers, 27, discussed those matters, as well as his devout Catholic faith and his unique family life, in a wide-ranging Sporting News Conversation with Steve Greenberg. Here are some excerpts and outtakes from the magazine interview that is on newsstands now:

Q: You say you're going to tone down talking to opposing fans. Why would you do that? It seems like fun for both sides.

A: It is fun. There hasn't been profanity on either side; it hasn't been vulgar. In Indianapolis (in a January '08 playoff game), every completion Peyton threw: "That's how a real quarterback does it!" And then we scored and I said, "Yeah, what now?" But the reasons for toning it down are, 1) so it's not a distraction for any of us, and then 2) it wasn't explained on the SportsCenter reel like I've explained it to you. People watched it and said, "This guy's out of his mind." Not that I always worry about the perception, but I'm not going win that battle by saying I'm just having a good time.

Q: Cameras caught you gesturing to Jay Cutler during a win against the Broncos a couple of seasons ago. It sure looked like you were taunting him. Did you go too far?

A: There are obviously two sides to every story. I've seen the clip over and over. They're a division rival, our guys got a big defensive stop, they'd been going at it all day with Jay, and I was kind of congratulating Matt Wilhelm and Shaun Phillips. I had a little smirk on my face, had a little, "Atta baby, nice play!" with my eyes directed toward Jay. Is it something I regret? No, because it was clean. But I understand some of the feedback and the perception it created. Maybe it wasn't the best thing. But I can repeat everything that was said and how it went. If it doesn't get caught on TV, I don't think either one of us would have ever thought about it.

Q: How great was it for this team to hang in there last season and win the division the way you did, especially after that nutty call in Denver in Week 2?

A: It was unreal. I was talking to my wife about last season, the 4-8 (start) and how we came back. She said, "Isn't it funny how you just remember how it ended?" It's hard to put yourself back to how hard it really was and how rough and sick we felt coming in here at 4-8 and going to Wednesday practice. It was rough. ... And it was super rewarding, and a lot of people deserve a lot of credit. Norv (Turner) did a heck of a job. Maybe he doesn't get the credit he deserves for never flinching. To stand in front of the team and it looks like it's slipping away from you, it's not easy. What do you say? "Hang in there, we're almost there, keep playing hard." But he did that; he never flinched.

Q: Did you know you were going to win that final game, at home vs. the Broncos for the division title?

A: Oh, yeah. We did. And I think the whole world knew it and everybody picked us. We said, "Guys, let's do it. Don't get caught up in it." But we walked into the locker room after that crazy loss to Denver in Week 2 and Norv said, "Hey guys, Week 17 is going to be for the whole division, at our place." And it turned out that way. That was awesome.

Q: Was there a big difference between the undefeated Patriots team you lost to in the '07 playoffs and the Steelers team you lost to last postseason?

A: The records were different, but the Steelers have a disciplined, tough, nasty defense with an offense that gets it done. The atmosphere is a lot tougher in Pittsburgh. We'd already been there once, and we went right back six weeks later. That's as good and tough and nasty of a defense as I've played. They've got the great players -- (Troy) Polamalu, (James) Harrison -- but they've got so many guys who know their roles and play them to a T. We hung in there, but that third quarter was so crazy. It's hard to win a game when you run one play in a quarter.

Q: Who's the best player from your 2004 draft class?

A: I think, right now, it's Larry Fitzgerald. The things he does and how consistent he is and what he can do in one play, one catch, to change the game, is really unmatched.

Q: Here's an impossible question. If you were on a team with Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, who would start?

A: That is pretty impossible. I imagine you'd get three "I woulds" if you asked all three guys that question. I think I'd have to say I would.

Q: It's pretty neat, isn't it, how things have really worked out for you, Manning and Roethlisberger, but also for Drew Brees, whom you replaced here?

A: All four guys have continued to improve and have good careers. The one thing I really appreciated was the relationship with Drew here my first two years, what I learned from him about pushing myself and competing. He's meant a lot to this organization. Eli and Ben have a handful of Super Bowls and obviously have played great, and here in San Diego we've won a lot of football games. Since 2004, we're in the top four in games won in that span. New England, Indianapolis and the Steelers are the only teams that have won more.

Q: What was it like to play high school ball for your father in Athens, Ala.?

A: Some of the greatest memories that I've ever had. It was awesome. Ever since I was old enough to think about it, I couldn't wait to play for him. It was something both of us couldn't wait for. And then it just flies by. I'll never forget both of us literally crying our eyes out after the last game we were together. We lost in the playoffs in the quarterfinals. We were the last two in the locker room; we sat there and had a big hug. God, it was over. It was the end of it. I remember that like yesterday.
Are you a Chargers fan because of Phillip Rivers, or were you a Chargers fan before Phillip Rivers? Are you Phillip Rivers?

Are you a Chargers fan because of Phillip Rivers, or were you a Chargers fan before Phillip Rivers? Are you Phillip Rivers?
Yes, I am Philip Rivers.No, actually, I became a Chargers fan when they drafted him. I posted that earlier in the thread. I grew up in North Carolina, and there was no local team there (Panthers didn't exist)... the Redskins were the closest regional team, and I never liked them. So I was more of a general NFL fan and a big college football fan, particularly N.C. State of course. Rivers is the best player in N.C. State history, so it was easy to start rooting for his team when he was drafted.

Just Win Baby said:
JohnnyU said:
Yes, I am Philip Rivers.No, actually, I became a Chargers fan when they drafted him. I posted that earlier in the thread. I grew up in North Carolina, and there was no local team there (Panthers didn't exist)... the Redskins were the closest regional team, and I never liked them. So I was more of a general NFL fan and a big college football fan, particularly N.C. State of course. Rivers is the best player in N.C. State history, so it was easy to start rooting for his team when he was drafted.
Will you still be a Chargers fan when Rivers retires, or gets traded?

Great story Jpeso, should mention it at the Fever sometime.

Just Win Baby said:
No, actually, I became a Chargers fan when they drafted him. I posted that earlier in the thread. I grew up in North Carolina, and there was no local team there (Panthers didn't exist)... the Redskins were the closest regional team, and I never liked them. So I was more of a general NFL fan and a big college football fan, particularly N.C. State of course. Rivers is the best player in N.C. State history, so it was easy to start rooting for his team when he was drafted.
The Panthers existed a few years before Rivers became QB at NC State. As for him being the best player in NC State history, you must be talking strictly football (although Roman Gabriel was darn good), because David Thompson is the best player in NC State history in general.

Just Win Baby said:
No, actually, I became a Chargers fan when they drafted him. I posted that earlier in the thread. I grew up in North Carolina, and there was no local team there (Panthers didn't exist)... the Redskins were the closest regional team, and I never liked them. So I was more of a general NFL fan and a big college football fan, particularly N.C. State of course. Rivers is the best player in N.C. State history, so it was easy to start rooting for his team when he was drafted.
The Panthers existed a few years before Rivers became QB at NC State. As for him being the best player in NC State history, you must be talking strictly football (although Roman Gabriel was darn good), because David Thompson is the best player in NC State history in general.
And the point of your post is?That the guy is lying, and he isn't a big Rivers fan?The lives in NC, he likes NC State, he likes Rivers. We don't need fact checking on that point, but thanks for doing the homework.

Just Win Baby said:
And the point of your post is?That the guy is lying, and he isn't a big Rivers fan?The lives in NC, he likes NC State, he likes Rivers. We don't need fact checking on that point, but thanks for doing the homework.
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. JWB lives in Virginia, and I know that he is a huge Rivers fan, and I also like NC State, and I am also a fan of Rivers. I was merely stating that the Panthers did exist a few years before Rivers ever became QB for State.

Arguably the most impressive performance of Rivers was the loss in the playoffs to the Steelers last year. A lot of players were missing tackles and the gameplan seemed poor, but Rivers didn't have a meltdown like a lot of other highly praised QBs tend to do. When the team was overmatched and playing at their worst, he still threw for 308 / 3 / 1. That was when I began to really believe in this guy. He didn't wilt.

He proved to me in that game that he has the heart of a champ.

Arguably the most impressive performance of Rivers was the loss in the playoffs to the Steelers last year. A lot of players were missing tackles and the gameplan seemed poor, but Rivers didn't have a meltdown like a lot of other highly praised QBs tend to do. When the team was overmatched and playing at their worst, he still threw for 308 / 3 / 1. That was when I began to really believe in this guy. He didn't wilt.He proved to me in that game that he has the heart of a champ.
You are kidding, right? Rivers put up the bulk of those stats in the 4th quarter when they were losing by a lot. He hit V. Jackson for a long TD on their first drive and then didn't do much else until well into the 4th quarter when they were losing 28-10. And heck, 62 of those yards came when Sproles took a screen for a TD with under two minutes to go and the team losing 35-17. I wouldn't say a QB producing very little offense for most of the game is impressive, especially when the Steelers offense was asleep for most of the first half, yet the Chargers were unable to take advantage of it. Yes, his overall numbers for the game looked good, but this is a good example of why you sometimes have to look at the game, how it was played, and how it went, to see how a player really played. Many would argue that he put up a lot of those yards and two of those touchdowns in garbage time. There are many, many other games that are much better examples of how good Rivers is now.

I've become a fan this year, and maybe really after the playoffs last year as someone above points out. He's been shown to be more than tough.

I think the infuriating thing for me is the Turner offense. I never liked Turner's style of play and I still don't. I liked Schottenheimer/Martyball too, so it's not just the running emphasis. I just find the playcalling baffling.

Last night vs TEN was a perfect example, Rivers should have had more TD's. Now they did win the game, by a lot, but that was that game. It just seems like most games are an exercise in reigning Rivers in to the Chargers' detriment. There also seems to be a consistent lack of ability by the front office to get better WR's beyond Vince Jackson (or use them when they do have them like Chris Chambers).

And I think the Chargers got the better end of the deal in the Eli Manning trade. Rivers just seems like a better, smarter QB to me.

I've been saying this for over a year. :shrug:
You've also been saying over a year how great Matt Leinart is, and how Vince Young is overrated.
A) Matt Leinart will be great and I'm genuinely stunned at his early season performance, although it's not as bad as some are making out.B) VY will be decent until he can't win with his legs...and then he will suck.
There are some serious gems in here but LHucks sporting the trifecta may be the best.

Rivers is a top 5 QB hands down. The way hes been progressing you can even argue top 3.

I still laugh at the way he throws the ball though.

Arguably the most impressive performance of Rivers was the loss in the playoffs to the Steelers last year. A lot of players were missing tackles and the gameplan seemed poor, but Rivers didn't have a meltdown like a lot of other highly praised QBs tend to do. When the team was overmatched and playing at their worst, he still threw for 308 / 3 / 1. That was when I began to really believe in this guy. He didn't wilt.He proved to me in that game that he has the heart of a champ.
You are kidding, right? Rivers put up the bulk of those stats in the 4th quarter when they were losing by a lot. He hit V. Jackson for a long TD on their first drive and then didn't do much else until well into the 4th quarter when they were losing 28-10. And heck, 62 of those yards came when Sproles took a screen for a TD with under two minutes to go and the team losing 35-17. I wouldn't say a QB producing very little offense for most of the game is impressive, especially when the Steelers offense was asleep for most of the first half, yet the Chargers were unable to take advantage of it. Yes, his overall numbers for the game looked good, but this is a good example of why you sometimes have to look at the game, how it was played, and how it went, to see how a player really played. Many would argue that he put up a lot of those yards and two of those touchdowns in garbage time. There are many, many other games that are much better examples of how good Rivers is now.
What I remember from that game, was it was close at half, and then PIT held SD to something like 5 plays in the 3rd quarter and up until around 9 minutes left in the 4th when it was a blowout. Rivers DID have an INT in there, BUT SD's defense just let the team down.PIT offense won that game by keeping Rivers off the field.

What I remember from that game, was it was close at half, and then PIT held SD to something like 5 plays in the 3rd quarter and up until around 9 minutes left in the 4th when it was a blowout. Rivers DID have an INT in there, BUT SD's defense just let the team down.PIT offense won that game by keeping Rivers off the field.
Yes, the Steelers had the ball for more around 13 more minutes, but each team had 11 real drives (I am not counting the Chargers kneeling down the kill the clock at the end of the 2nd quarter, or the Steelers doing the same at the end of the game); the Steelers simply did more with their drives than the Chargers did with theirs. On drives 2-8, the Chargers offense got 3 points (that resulted from SD getting great field position following a failed fake punt by the Steelers) and gained 44 total yards, in almost three full quarters of play (from 9:25 left in the 1st quarter till 12:52 left in the 4th quarter). Like I said, sure, Rivers played well in the last 10 minutes of the game, when the Chargers were losing by almost 20 points, but when the game was close for most of the way, he did very little. Rivers is a great QB, but that game is not one I would use to illustrate how great he is.

I've been saying this for over a year. :goodposting:
You've also been saying over a year how great Matt Leinart is, and how Vince Young is overrated.
A) Matt Leinart will be great and I'm genuinely stunned at his early season performance, although it's not as bad as some are making out.B) VY will be decent until he can't win with his legs...and then he will suck.
There are some serious gems in here but LHucks sporting the trifecta may be the best.
Seriously has there ever been a guy that is kore consistently wrong about everything he predicts? I don't just mean here on these boards, or even in fantasy football. Just anyone, about anything?

I think the infuriating thing for me is the Turner offense. I never liked Turner's style of play and I still don't. I liked Schottenheimer/Martyball too, so it's not just the running emphasis. I just find the playcalling baffling.Last night vs TEN was a perfect example, Rivers should have had more TD's. Now they did win the game, by a lot, but that was that game. It just seems like most games are an exercise in reigning Rivers in to the Chargers' detriment. There also seems to be a consistent lack of ability by the front office to get better WR's beyond Vince Jackson (or use them when they do have them like Chris Chambers).
This is horrible posting. Possibly :goodposting: . They scored 42 points on offense, did basically whatever they wanted, scored from all over the field. There were several big plays that almost happened downfield to the WR's, and either penalties or the throws being slightly off made them miss. Norv's playcalling has been pretty close to brilliant for the last few games. When guys are going into the endzone untouched down around the goalline you know things are working right on offense. As for the receivers, just last night Floyd and Naanee showed that they're more than adequate receivers. I like how you also neglect to mention Gates.

Arguably the most impressive performance of Rivers was the loss in the playoffs to the Steelers last year. A lot of players were missing tackles and the gameplan seemed poor, but Rivers didn't have a meltdown like a lot of other highly praised QBs tend to do. When the team was overmatched and playing at their worst, he still threw for 308 / 3 / 1. That was when I began to really believe in this guy. He didn't wilt.

He proved to me in that game that he has the heart of a champ.
You need to reread what I posted. I didn't say Rivers was godly. I said Rivers didn't have a meltdown. If John Elway was quarterbacking the Chargers in that game, he'd probably throw 3-4 INTs, trying to force the ball too much, trying to make too much happen, and the final score would have been 50-10. Unlike Elway, Rivers didn't wilt. Rivers is a guy with a tremendous amount of heart. He's going to hold it together and compete all the way.

I think the infuriating thing for me is the Turner offense. I never liked Turner's style of play and I still don't. I liked Schottenheimer/Martyball too, so it's not just the running emphasis. I just find the playcalling baffling.Last night vs TEN was a perfect example, Rivers should have had more TD's. Now they did win the game, by a lot, but that was that game. It just seems like most games are an exercise in reigning Rivers in to the Chargers' detriment. There also seems to be a consistent lack of ability by the front office to get better WR's beyond Vince Jackson (or use them when they do have them like Chris Chambers).
This is horrible posting. Possibly :excited: . They scored 42 points on offense, did basically whatever they wanted, scored from all over the field. There were several big plays that almost happened downfield to the WR's, and either penalties or the throws being slightly off made them miss. Norv's playcalling has been pretty close to brilliant for the last few games. When guys are going into the endzone untouched down around the goalline you know things are working right on offense. As for the receivers, just last night Floyd and Naanee showed that they're more than adequate receivers. I like how you also neglect to mention Gates.
Hey, I post partly because I'm interested in the comments of others. Not just to read myself think aloud.Thanks for the reply.

17 wins 0 losses in the month of December as a starter. The 17 December win streak is an NFL record. Pretty cool stat.

I think the infuriating thing for me is the Turner offense. I never liked Turner's style of play and I still don't. I liked Schottenheimer/Martyball too, so it's not just the running emphasis. I just find the playcalling baffling.

Last night vs TEN was a perfect example, Rivers should have had more TD's. Now they did win the game, by a lot, but that was that game. It just seems like most games are an exercise in reigning Rivers in to the Chargers' detriment. There also seems to be a consistent lack of ability by the front office to get better WR's beyond Vince Jackson (or use them when they do have them like Chris Chambers).
This is horrible posting. Possibly :shrug: . They scored 42 points on offense, did basically whatever they wanted, scored from all over the field. There were several big plays that almost happened downfield to the WR's, and either penalties or the throws being slightly off made them miss. Norv's playcalling has been pretty close to brilliant for the last few games. When guys are going into the endzone untouched down around the goalline you know things are working right on offense. As for the receivers, just last night Floyd and Naanee showed that they're more than adequate receivers. I like how you also neglect to mention Gates.
Hey, I post partly because I'm interested in the comments of others. Not just to read myself think aloud.Thanks for the reply.
I agree completely with the bolded above and was just thinking this earlier today. As far as the NFL goes, the approach is working great. But for fantasy football, it limits Rivers upside. A big first half for Rivers generally equals a paltry (fantasy) second half for Rivers.

Users who are viewing this thread