What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (5 Viewers)

This really stood out to me:
When you look closer at his stats, you see that Rivers even has the chance to improve upon his average of 8.75 yards per attempt as now he doesn’t have to throw those 6-yard out routes to Chris Chambers just to keep his morale up. Thru the first half of the season (with Chambers), Rivers averaged 8.19 yards YPA but during the last half of the season (without Chambers), Rivers averaged 9.48 YPA. If he can maintain that 9.48 average over an entire season, then Rivers will have the third highest YPA in a single season since 1954. Chambers’ mere presence in the lineup seemed to negatively affect Rivers; here’s how Rivers’ stats improved once Chambers was released:

With Chambers (7 games):

Sacks 16

Passing TDs 11

Completion Percentage 59.7%

QB Rating 95.9

Without Chambers (9 games):

Sacks 9

Passing TDs 17

Completion Percentage 70.6%

QB Rating 111.6
I'm sure there was more to his hot second half than just Chambers' departure, but regardless those closing numbers are really impressive.

The Chambers argument is not really a good one considering Chambers in the 9 games he played with KC had 36 catches for 608 yards 16.9 avg and added 4 TD's.

The Chambers argument is not really a good one considering Chambers in the 9 games he played with KC had 36 catches for 608 yards 16.9 avg and added 4 TD's.
So because Chambers did well after he left, you can't argue that Rivers improved after Chambers' departure?

So because Chambers did well after he left, you can't argue that Rivers improved after because of Chambers' departure?
It makes it a tough argument, yes. More likely, it's just an instance of splits happen.

So because Chambers did well after he left, you can't argue that Rivers improved after Chambers' departure?
Wasn't Rivers' completion percentage on passes to Chambers something like 40%? IIRC it was completely awful.
Even worse (35%). Chambers caught just 9 of 26 passes while with SD but caught 36 of 59 (61%) while with KC. He also dropped 4 passes in SD but dropped only 1 in KC.

Wasn't Rivers' completion percentage on passes to Chambers something like 40%? IIRC it was completely awful.
Even worse (35%). Chambers caught just 9 of 26 passes while with SD but caught 36 of 59 (61%) while with KC. He also dropped 4 passes in SD but dropped only 1 in KC.
Amazing how a need to keep an NFL job inspires better performances. Saw this with Larry Johnson in his start in Cincinnati as well.

I think it's safe to say that Rivers is already the best NFL QB to ever wear #17. His only reasonable rivals are Jim Hart and Brian Sipe. He seems to be well on his way to being the best NFL player to ever wear that number, which I would currently have to give to HoFer. It would be interesting to see if he could eclipse John Havlicek as the greatest #17 in American sports history.

I think it's safe to say that Rivers is already the best NFL QB to ever wear #17. His only reasonable rivals are Jim Hart and Brian Sipe. He seems to be well on his way to being the best NFL player to ever wear that number, which I would currently have to give to HoFer. It would be interesting to see if he could eclipse John Havlicek as the greatest #17 in American sports history.
Sorry by the time they are both done This Guy will be considered the greatest #17.This has nothing to do with the post but there's all kinds of cool stuff about the #17 here

-QG

So because Chambers did well after he left, you can't argue that Rivers improved after because of Chambers' departure?
It makes it a tough argument, yes. More likely, it's just an instance of splits happen.
this is my favorite article ever

I've been saying this for over a year. :unsure:
You've also been saying over a year how great Matt Leinart is, and how Vince Young is overrated.
A) Matt Leinart will be great and I'm genuinely stunned at his early season performance, although it's not as bad as some are making out.B) VY will be decent until he can't win with his legs...and then he will suck.
Great thread on how Rivers sucks...whoops on whoever started this one.Whoops on this quote as well.

Rivers' historic season obscured by Chargers' stormy start

By Clark Judge

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Nov. 1, 2010

I don't care where blame is placed for San Diego's underwhelming start -- special teams, the running game, turnovers, injuries, coaching, holdouts, management, whatever -- but don't include quarterback Philip Rivers. The guy's game has been elevated to such a high level that he's on course to break virtually every single-season club passing record.

Yards, completions, attempts, you name it. Rivers is threatening to put his name to it.

In fact, he's already gotten started. With another 305 yards Sunday, Rivers passed Dan Fouts for the Chargers and league passing record through the first eight games. Fouts had 2,580 yards in 1982; Rivers has 2,649.

But he also has 21 straight games with a touchdown pass. That breaks Fouts' team record of 20. He threw for 455 yards against Seattle earlier this season, breaking Fouts' single-game record of 444. And he just produced his fifth 300-yard game of the year. He had five all of last season.

I guess what I'm saying is that when you look at everything that's wrong with San Diego you start by omitting what is right. And that's Philip Rivers. He's not only having another strong season; he's having a season worthy of league MVP consideration, and if the Chargers weren't 3-5 he'd be among the frontrunners.

But MVPs generally don't play for losing teams, and that's unfortunate because the Chargers rely more on Rivers than most teams rely on individuals.

Look at San Diego's total yardage. Rivers is responsible for 73.8 percent of it. Look at their touchdowns. Rivers is responsible for 60 percent of that, too. The Chargers throw 60.3 percent of the time, and part of that is because they trailed by 12 or more points in six of their eight games. But most of it is because their most reliable playmaker is their quarterback.

I was at the Oct. 24 loss to New England when San Diego fell behind by 17 in the fourth quarter, mostly because the Chargers couldn't hold on to the football. There was only one thing that could rescue the Bolts, and it was their passing game. So they turned to Rivers in the fourth quarter, and he responded by throwing for 143 yards and a touchdown, running twice for 8 yards and putting the Chargers in position to tie the score with a last-minute field goal.

Moreover, he was responsible for all of the team's fourth-quarter yardage except for one play.

So the Chargers lost. Don't blame Rivers. He carried the club to the finish line, only to watch a tying field goal ricochet off the right upright.

He threw for 336 yards that afternoon, and look how he got there: Without his top two wide receivers, Legedu Naanee and Malcom Floyd, and with tight end Antonio Gates hurt so badly he didn't have a catch until midway through the fourth quarter. Nothing changed a week later, except that the Chargers added veteran Buster Davis to the discard pile because of a rib injury.

That meant the wide receivers Rivers had as targets had a combined 21 catches with the club. No sweat, Rivers pushed on, playing so well in the second half that the Bolts converted five of eight third downs against a Tennessee Titans' defense that a week earlier suffocated Philadelphia.

Anyone who follows Rivers should not be surprised. He's one of the game's elite quarterbacks, and if you don't believe me you haven't paid attention the past couple of years. Rivers not only led the league in passer rating in 2008, he had the best combined passer rating the past two seasons (104.97) and more touchdown passes (62) the past two seasons than everyone except Drew Brees.

But that's not all. Since taking over for Brees he's four-for-four in division titles and 49-23 as a starter. He led the team to a 14-2 season in his first season as the club's quarterback. He rallied it from a 4-8 hole two years later to win the division championship. Then, he won his final 11 regular-season starts a year ago.

Now he's knocking down individual records because, well, because he must if the Chargers are going to climb to the top of the AFC West again. The Bolts were supposed to balance their attack around rookie running back Ryan Mathews, but Mathews has been hobbled by a high-ankle sprain, and the running game has fizzled.

So Rivers has been asked to step front and center again to put the Chargers back on the map, and Sunday's game was a start.

There were the usual signals of another loss waiting to happen -- special-teams gaffes, blown coverages and another 12-point deficit -- but Rivers wouldn't allow it. With the Chargers clinging to a two-point lead midway in the fourth quarter he led the team on an eight-play drive where he hit all four of his passes, including a clinching 13-yard TD to Darren Sproles.

Philip Rivers is special. In fact, he's so special that when I talked this summer to the team's general manager, A.J. Smith, I asked why his quarterback didn't gain more nationwide attention.

"I think it's championships or being in the championship game," he said. "I think that is what everybody is measured on, including organizations."

OK, so Rivers hasn't won a Super Bowl. He hasn't even been to one, and he played in one conference championship game. But so what? Peyton Manning didn't win a playoff game until his sixth pro season and didn't make it to a Super Bowl until his ninth. This is Rivers' fifth year as a starter and already he has three playoff wins, including two over Manning's Colts.

Philip Rivers is an outstanding quarterback, and he is in the middle of another superb season. Unfortunately, the San Diego Chargers are not. But don't confuse the two. There is plenty wrong with the Chargers. There is little wrong with their quarterback. Philip Rivers is one of the best in the business, and he just reminded us why.

As awesome as Rivers is this year, he was just as (if not more awesome) each of the past two years. He's been the best QB in the league for 2.5 years now.

If the Chargers somehow manage to make the playoffs this year, PR wins the MVP hands down. That's a big IF though.

Wow, the two minute drill he ran today was maybe the saddest thing I have ever seen
No kidding. I think I could have run a more effective 2 minute drill today. Something is up with Rivers, he is not playing like his normal self, but I'm not sure why.

There are still a lot of delusional fans that think the Chargers are actually going to win something with this guy.

Something looks wrong watching him throw. I wonder if there is an undisclosed injury here?
What injury caused him to run off 70 seconds of time to throw two four yard dump offs with 81 seconds left?Or to throw away a fourth down pass? Was he avoiding a sack? Were his receivers covered too well to risk an interception?

Last edited by a moderator:
Something looks wrong watching him throw. I wonder if there is an undisclosed injury here?
What injury caused him to run off 70 seconds of time to throw two four yard dump offs with 81 seconds left?Or to throw away a fourth down pass? Was he avoiding a sack? Were his receivers covered too well to risk an interception?
I don't think he threw it away. I think he just missed by a mile.

dude sucks...let's stop this nonsense of including him in conversations involving Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc.

He's going to be incredible draft value next year in redrafts. He's injured. We've watched Rivers his whole career. Something is wrong and SD knows it. Just look at all the running plays.

Giants fan here. Natural bias for a while against Rivers (with the whole Eli / draft issue). I got over it as Rivers has propelled me to a couple great fantasy seasons - including last year.

Lets rewind a year - he was on a record breaking path first half of last year, had V Jax back this year, I could swear he was primed for a ridiculous season. Had him just ahead of Brady at the beginning of the year with a chance at being the #1 overall QB.

Fast forward to today. The guy is a shell of his former self. Thought after the bye he might be on track, but something is seriously off. Hard to explain, but it is just not clicking, at all.

dude sucks...let's stop this nonsense of including him in conversations involving Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc.
He's been just s good or better the 2 seasons prior.He's earned every bit of his reputation. Unfortunately FF can make people over emotional and irrational.

Eli is better in every way. Better fantasy QB, better at winning games in the regular season, better in the post season. Looks like the Giants and JR were RIGHT!

Eli is better in every way. Better fantasy QB, better at winning games in the regular season, better in the post season. Looks like the Giants and JR were RIGHT!
You're off your rocker. Eli single handedly loses games his entire career at a very poor ratio. No NFL team would choose Manning over Rivers. I can say that without any hesitation.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're off your rocker. Eli single handedly loses games his entire career at a very poor ratio. No NFL team would choose Manning over Rivers. I can say that without any hesitation.
The Giants did and beat a team that was 18-0 in the Super Bowl.

Not sure what you are basing this upon. Eli was hugely instrumental in one of the more amazing Super Bowl runs ever. Guy can have terrible stretches, but finds a way to win, and has done so throughout his career. Even if he looks dorky doing it. :shrug:Now, as to taking Rivers over Eli, Id think 2-1 at least would take Rivers until this year - something is just off with Rivers right now and don't know what. Either way, only one has demonstrated ability to win the truly big game.

Not producing top 5 QB #s let alone even top 10

what gives?

buy low value or let someone else have him??

roll with Tebow and Schaub???

thoughts

. Either way, only one has demonstrated ability to win the truly big game.
Rivers has done everything or more than you can ask out of a QB to win those games. Norv Turner gets the L.

Not sure what you are basing this upon. Eli was hugely instrumental in one of the more amazing Super Bowl runs ever. Guy can have terrible stretches, but finds a way to win, and has done so throughout his career. Even if he looks dorky doing it. :shrug:Now, as to taking Rivers over Eli, Id think 2-1 at least would take Rivers until this year - something is just off with Rivers right now and don't know what. Either way, only one has demonstrated ability to win the truly big game.
You and a few others are insinuating that Rivers is soley responsible for not winning playoff games yet give Eli 100% credit for winning a superbowl. Fact is that Steve Spagnolu and the Giants D won that superbowl. If not for a rediculous, NFL Films worthy catch that will go down in history Eli loses that game. He was nothing special in that game and has been average at best his entire career.

Super Bowl win > Philip's O-faceSCOREBOARD

This post is mostly wrong.Rivers has been the better fantasy QB. In the 5 full seasons both have been starters (2006-2010), Rivers was better in 4 of them (all but 2007). Rivers has averaged 18.8 fantasy points per game over that span, compared to 17.2 fppg for Eli. It hasn't been particularly close.Rivers has been better at winning regular season games. Rivers is 59-26 (.694) in the regular season. Eli is 64-45 (.587) in the regular season.Yes, Eli has a better postseason record - Eli is 4-3 and Rivers is 3-4. Although Rivers has a slightly better postseason QB rating.

You and a few others are insinuating that Rivers is soley responsible for not winning playoff games yet give Eli 100% credit for winning a superbowl. Fact is that Steve Spagnolu and the Giants D won that superbowl. If not for a rediculous, NFL Films worthy catch that will go down in history Eli loses that game. He was nothing special in that game and has been average at best his entire career.
I am not insinuating Eli was THE reason, but he was a big part of that superbowl run. I saw the key throws, the clutch plays. Again, Eli is flawed, and it has not been Rivers' fault that they havent won it all. But, he hasn't.FWIW, as a Giants fan (and understanadbly biased as such), Eli has killed them plenty, but he has won games consistently when it counted. That super bowl run being the best example, but not the only one.

Users who are viewing this thread