What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (4 Viewers)

I used to question the Giants trading him for Eli. This year, Rivers is leaving no doubt that they did the right thing.

Not really his fault tonight. O - line SUCKED. Should have kept 2 TE set with McMichael helping the pathetic "lineman" known as Dumbrowski.
I agree with this. Rivers has looked a shell of himself this year, but that's in addition to the o-line issues and the play calling. Rivers had every right to complain every other play.

Not really his fault tonight. O - line SUCKED.
While I don't disagree with this comment by itself, it irritates me only because year after year I've had to read people tell me that Rivers is a better quarterback than Ben Roethlisberger. Apparently those who made this argument were not paying attention to what Big Ben's offensive line has been like for the last few years.Philip Rivers is a good quarterback, sometimes very good. He usually will not perform well when his offensive line is porous. Ben Roethlisberger is an elite quarterback, and when his offensive line is bad, he finds a way to work through it. That's what the elite ones do. This should really settle the argument once and for all.

Not really his fault tonight. O - line SUCKED.
While I don't disagree with this comment by itself, it irritates me only because year after year I've had to read people tell me that Rivers is a better quarterback than Ben Roethlisberger. Apparently those who made this argument were not paying attention to what Big Ben's offensive line has been like for the last few years.Philip Rivers is a good quarterback, sometimes very good. He usually will not perform well when his offensive line is porous. Ben Roethlisberger is an elite quarterback, and when his offensive line is bad, he finds a way to work through it. That's what the elite ones do. This should really settle the argument once and for all.
Somehow I doubt that. :D

Philip Rivers is a good quarterback, sometimes very good. He usually will not perform well when his offensive line is porous. Ben Roethlisberger is an elite quarterback, and when his offensive line is bad, he finds a way to work through it. That's what the elite ones do. This should really settle the argument once and for all.
Career QB rating through week 9 of this season:Roethlisberger 92.6Rivers 95

I used to question the Giants trading him for Eli. This year, Rivers is leaving no doubt that they did the right thing.
They gave up a heck of a lot more than Rivers, and I think it's still VERY questionable which I'd rather have.
Yes they did and the Chargers used those picks for Merriman and Kaeding. I'll take Eli & a Super Bowl win over those two and Rivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Philip Rivers is a good quarterback, sometimes very good. He usually will not perform well when his offensive line is porous. Ben Roethlisberger is an elite quarterback, and when his offensive line is bad, he finds a way to work through it. That's what the elite ones do. This should really settle the argument once and for all.
Career QB rating through week 9 of this season:Roethlisberger 92.6Rivers 95
And Tony Romo's is higher than both.

They gave up a heck of a lot more than Rivers, and I think it's still VERY questionable which I'd rather have.
Yes they did and the Chargers used those picks for Merriman and Kaeding. I'll take Eli & a Super Bowl win over those two and Rivers.
They also got a 5th round pick, which they traded for Oben.I understand the whole "a bird in the hand" thing with the SB, and I don't fault Giants fans for feeling that way, but on paper, that deal favored SD big time. I wouldn't want to go back and give up the trophy either, but you can't say the Giants wouldn't have won one (or more) championships if they hadn't made the trade. You also shouldn't only consider the players they drafted with those picks because they may not have made the same decisions (guys like A. Rodgers and Roddy White were drafted after Merriman).It worked out for the Giants, but I don't think one bad 1/2 season by Rivers should leave no doubt that they did the right thing.

They also got a 5th round pick, which they traded for Oben.I understand the whole "a bird in the hand" thing with the SB, and I don't fault Giants fans for feeling that way, but on paper, that deal favored SD big time. I wouldn't want to go back and give up the trophy either, but you can't say the Giants wouldn't have won one (or more) championships if they hadn't made the trade. You also shouldn't only consider the players they drafted with those picks because they may not have made the same decisions (guys like A. Rodgers and Roddy White were drafted after Merriman).It worked out for the Giants, but I don't think one bad 1/2 season by Rivers should leave no doubt that they did the right thing.
Yeah, its hard to play the what if game. for all we know, the giants, had they not made the trade, MIGHT have stuck with Kurt Warner longer, drafted Roddy White, developed Rivers for a few seasons and won a couple of Super Bowls. I mean, once the wheels are in motion, all bets are off on what might have been.

A tough day at the office.

Thursday was an in-his-face illustration that the Chargers quarterback would literally need to be a magician to be more effective.

Rivers was sacked six times, hit hard on another seven passes and heavily pressured (and often hit) on at least 30 other passes in the 24-17 loss to the Oakland Raiders.

That leaves about 10 times that Rivers was able to make a throw without being fettered in some way.

Thursday was an in-his-face illustration that the Chargers quarterback would literally need to be a magician to be more effective.

Rivers was sacked six times, hit hard on another seven passes and heavily pressured (and often hit) on at least 30 other passes in the 24-17 loss to the Oakland Raiders.

That leaves about 10 times that Rivers was able to make a throw without being fettered in some way.
I guess Rivers finally knows how Jay Cutler feels, eh? It's tough to produce at a high level at QB when your line does a crappy job of protecting you.

'Ghost Rider said:

I guess Rivers finally knows how Jay Cutler feels, eh? It's tough to produce at a high level at QB when your line does a crappy job of protecting you.
Rivers has never had a good OL. In the past he's produced despite that fact.That's one reason I thought it was pretty hilarious so many non-Charger fans were wringing their hands last year when McNeil and VJax weren't with the team. EVERY loss was supposed to be because those two guys weren't with the team. Those people look pretty idiotic right now(yes michael silver I'm talking to you). McNeil had a very good rookie season and has been average since then. If there's a silver lining to this season, and it's pretty difficult to find one, it's in the fact that SD didn't hand out the big signing bonus to McNeil and VJax that so many people were crying they should last year.

I thought this make shift line did alright. The rivers int where he threw it to vjax had no chance. Rivers was upset cuz he didn't keep going but there were 4 bears in the vicinity. On the last drive he was trying to throw it away but didn't put it in the ground or out of bounds. No excuses this time. I don't know what's wrong with this guy. From probowl to last in AFC west . Gulp. :unsure:

Got to say that Rivers is a tough SOB. He showed me alot when he played against NE with a bad knee awhile back. That being said, he still has the most punchable face in the NFL, IMO.

Rivers has never had a good OL. In the past he's produced despite that fact.That's one reason I thought it was pretty hilarious so many non-Charger fans were wringing their hands last year when McNeil and VJax weren't with the team. EVERY loss was supposed to be because those two guys weren't with the team. Those people look pretty idiotic right now(yes michael silver I'm talking to you). McNeil had a very good rookie season and has been average since then. If there's a silver lining to this season, and it's pretty difficult to find one, it's in the fact that SD didn't hand out the big signing bonus to McNeil and VJax that so many people were crying they should last year.
V-Jax still deserves to get paid.. Deserved it last season... Funny how they were willing to pay him the money attached to the franchise tag this season, yet he wasn't worth that much per game last season.. Proof he was getting screwed..

V-Jax still deserves to get paid.. Deserved it last season... Funny how they were willing to pay him the money attached to the franchise tag this season, yet he wasn't worth that much per game last season.. Proof he was getting screwed..
Do you not understand the difference between a 1 yr, ~ $10M contract, and a 5 yr, $50M contract?

Do you not understand the difference between a 1 yr, ~ $10M contract, and a 5 yr, $50M contract?
1 is for 1 year and one is for 5? lolIf he were signed to a 5 year contract, does that promise him 5 years?

Is he getting more to play this year then he was offered to play last year? Some how he's worth more to them this year then last... They could have had him playing both this season and last if they weren't trying to F him over last season.

/highjack...

Eli is better. The Super Bowl win is just a bonus. The Ginats made a great choice trading for the "other" Manning.
An even better choice would have been to sit tight at #4 and take Roethlisberger. Thank God they didn't.
Agreed. Pitt would have 3-4 Rings with Rivers at the helm, and San Diego would be a laughingstock.
Rivers would be dead right now.
Wow, As a Steeler's Fan there is no way I would rather have Rivers over Ben. It's funny how people continue to underrate him. Playoff Record:

Ben 10-3

Rivers 3-4

Come from behind playoff victories

Ben 3

Rivers 1

T

Record as a starter:

Ben 76-32 as a starter

Rivers 59-31 as a starter

It's pretty clear to me looking at the numbers above... Rivers has played on good teams as well.. Weren't they number one on offense and defense last year?

Eli is better. The Super Bowl win is just a bonus. The Ginats made a great choice trading for the "other" Manning.
An even better choice would have been to sit tight at #4 and take Roethlisberger. Thank God they didn't.
Agreed. Pitt would have 3-4 Rings with Rivers at the helm, and San Diego would be a laughingstock.
Wow, As a Steeler's Fan there is no way I would rather have Rivers over Ben. It's funny how people continue to underrate him. Playoff Record:

Ben 10-3

Rivers 3-4

Ben 3

Rivers 1

Taken team to the Playoffs

Ben 6 (missed once)

Rivers 4 (4made 3 missed)

Record as a starter:

Ben 76-32 as a starter

It's pretty clear to me looking at the numbers above... Rivers has played on good teams as well.. Weren't they number one on offense and defense last year?
With re: to the bold, last year was the first year Rivers didn't take SD to the playoffs since becoming the starter. Are you really counting the 2 seasons he spent backing up Drew Brees as seasons that Rivers "didn't take team to the Playoffs"?I won't hate on fragile lil Ben, but at least get your facts straight.

1 is for 1 year and one is for 5? lolIf he were signed to a 5 year contract, does that promise him 5 years?Is he getting more to play this year then he was offered to play last year? Some how he's worth more to them this year then last... They could have had him playing both this season and last if they weren't trying to F him over last season./highjack...
Of coure VJax is getting more to play this year than last year. Last year he was a restricted FA. This year he was an unrestricted FA who was franchise tagged.

Pretty much nothing, since contracts aren't guaranteed.
This is a disappointing response, b/c even though I've often disagreed with your posts, I always thought you were well informed. Brandon Marshall got the contract that VJax wanted (and still wants) - 5/$50M. $24M of that was guaranteed. Do you think guaranteeing $24M carries more risk than guaranteeing $10M?

This is a disappointing response, b/c even though I've often disagreed with your posts, I always thought you were well informed. Brandon Marshall got the contract that VJax wanted (and still wants) - 5/$50M. $24M of that was guaranteed. Do you think guaranteeing $24M carries more risk than guaranteeing $10M?
If he's worth 10 this season, then he was worth 10 for last season... There's 20m right there.. Maybe they could have gotten it done for 20m guaranteed..So now there is risk? Risk of what? I think they were more intent on treating V-jax like a yard sale patron then they were anything else.. That backfired...

If he's worth 10 this season, then he was worth 10 for last season
Good point. If DeAngelo Williams is worth all the money he's making this season then he was worth more than that the day he was drafted and was younger/faster/better. CAR are complete IDIOTS for not giving that paycheck while he was standing on the podium!I've never seen anyone misread a situation as badly as you did last year with regard to Jackson(He'll never play for that $, sure the offense is going great but just imagine how fantastical the offense would be with Jackson in it, If only Jackson was on the roster they'd be winning all these close games, well if he does play for that $ then he walks at the end of the year, there's no way they would franchise him even if they could). Keep spinning though, it's amusing to see you someone get this worked up over a good(not a great) WR. People thought LHUCKS was poor at guessing the future.

If he's worth 10 this season, then he was worth 10 for last season... There's 20m right there.. Maybe they could have gotten it done for 20m guaranteed..So now there is risk? Risk of what? I think they were more intent on treating V-jax like a yard sale patron then they were anything else.. That backfired...
Your head's really going to explode when the Chargers let him walk after this season.

Do you think letting a talented player you think is worth the franchise tag sit out because of a crappy contract carries more risk than paying him to play?

Do you think letting a talented player you think is worth the franchise tag sit out because of a crappy contract carries more risk than paying him to play?
They didn't need to franchise him last year to own the rights to his services, so they didn't. I don't know why you're bringing the franchise tag concept into the discussion of what happened last year.

They didn't need to franchise him last year to own the rights to his services, so they didn't. I don't know why you're bringing the franchise tag concept into the discussion of what happened last year.
They could have given him a contract last year, which would have resulted in him playing in 10 more games than he did. It might have meant they won another game and made the playoffs. What's the cost of missing the playoffs? More than $14 million?

They could have given him a contract last year, which would have resulted in him playing in 10 more games than he did. It might have meant they won another game and made the playoffs. What's the cost of missing the playoffs? More than $14 million?
He could have contributed to SD beating CIN last season and making the playoffs. He could have. But he didn't.He could have decided to earn $3+ million last year. But he didn't. He chose to make $300k instead. Lots of could haves.

So he's getting $10M this year - how're the Chargers doing now that they have this supposed lynchpin of success on the roster all year? He really came up huge in that last Raider game for instance. I mean they paid him, so the playoffs are now guaranteed, right? The team is going to recoup that amount by not missing the playoffs, right?Your reasoning is faulty.

So he's getting $10M this year - how're the Chargers doing now that they have this supposed lynchpin of success on the roster all year? He really came up huge in that last Raider game for instance. I mean they paid him, so the playoffs are now guaranteed, right? The team is going to recoup that amount by not missing the playoffs, right?

Your reasoning is faulty.
What's faulty is looking at the risk involved in giving someone $24M in guaranteed money, and not looking at the risk involved in not giving him that money. Jackson is on pace for 1300 yards and 11 TDs; if San Diego had a wideout who could have put up 1300/11 last year (instead of the 717/6 which their top wideout put up) it is totally reasonable to think that they might have made the playoffs. Certainly it's likely that those kind of numbers would have helped the team more than 780/2 that $7M Darren Sproles put up.

Ben 10-3

Rivers 3-4

Ben 3

Rivers 1

Taken team to the Playoffs

Ben 6 (missed once)

Rivers 4 (4made 3 missed)

Record as a starter:

Ben 76-32 as a starter

With re: to the bold, last year was the first year Rivers didn't take SD to the playoffs since becoming the starter. Are you really counting the 2 seasons he spent backing up Drew Brees as seasons that Rivers "didn't take team to the Playoffs"?I won't hate on fragile lil Ben, but at least get your facts straight.
Yeah, I was wrong, I'll correct that.. The records for the regular season and playoffs should be accurate. I was just countering the person that said Rivers would have more rings in Pitt... I don't think Rivers would have done much with that line.. Probably would put up similar numbers to what he is doing now with the SD o-line struggling.

So he's getting $10M this year - how're the Chargers doing now that they have this supposed lynchpin of success on the roster all year? He really came up huge in that last Raider game for instance. I mean they paid him, so the playoffs are now guaranteed, right? The team is going to recoup that amount by not missing the playoffs, right?

What's faulty is looking at the risk involved in giving someone $24M in guaranteed money, and not looking at the risk involved in not giving him that money. Jackson is on pace for 1300 yards and 11 TDs; if San Diego had a wideout who could have put up 1300/11 last year (instead of the 717/6 which their top wideout put up) it is totally reasonable to think that they might have made the playoffs. Certainly it's likely that those kind of numbers would have helped the team more than 780/2 that $7M Darren Sproles put up.
What does Darren Sproles have to do with this? It wasn't an either or thing. Through 10 games in 2010 - 3065 passing yards, 23 passing TDs. Through 10 games in 2011 - 2878 passing yards, 15 passing tds. Thanks Vincent!

What does Darren Sproles have to do with this? It wasn't an either or thing.
Last year's team with Jackson for 16 games and without Sproles would have been better. (At least, the way Sproles was used).

What does Darren Sproles have to do with this? It wasn't an either or thing.
Last year's team with Jackson for 16 games and without Sproles would have been better. (At least, the way Sproles was used).
The numbers say otherwise.

You're wrong.But is it really relevant anyway? After a solid season, San Diego will be in the position of tagging Jackson again or re-signing him. They're not going to let him walk. So now what, pay another $13M, or sign that 5-year contract that they didn't want to sign two years ago, so they can have him locked up through age 34? There's no way in which failing to give Vincent Jackson a contract can be viewed as contributing to the success of the Chargers.

You're wrong.But is it really relevant anyway? After a solid season, San Diego will be in the position of tagging Jackson again or re-signing him. They're not going to let him walk. So now what, pay another $13M, or sign that 5-year contract that they didn't want to sign two years ago, so they can have him locked up through age 34? There's no way in which failing to give Vincent Jackson a contract can be viewed as contributing to the success of the Chargers.
I tried having this discussion with these same guys last year and the year before.. They are blind.. better to move on and end the highjack..You know how parents told us when we were young, not to look directly at the sun or you'll go blind? I think looking directly into AJ's eye's has the same effect for Chargers fans.. These guys are completely blind to anything AJ doesn't handle just right..

Well, that settles it.Here all this time I was thinking that the object was to win games. But now that I see the point of being a GM is owning the rights to a player's services it all makes sense to me.

You're wrong.But is it really relevant anyway? After a solid season, San Diego will be in the position of tagging Jackson again or re-signing him. They're not going to let him walk. So now what, pay another $13M, or sign that 5-year contract that they didn't want to sign two years ago, so they can have him locked up through age 34?

There's no way in which failing to give Vincent Jackson a contract can be viewed as contributing to the success of the Chargers.
That's false. You have absolutely no idea how those funds would be used otherwise. And we have no idea if VJax tears an ACL tomorrow in practice and all that guaranteed $ goes down the tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread