What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Philip Rivers, RET (4 Viewers)

I have to agree with CalBear here. I am a Chargers fan who felt last year they should have either traded him or worked out a contract with him. I definitely think if they had VJax all season last year, the Chargers would have made the playoffs. I know many Chargers fans around here disagree, and, frankly, I think they react that way from a biased perspective. :shrug:

I posted last season that I felt that A.J.'s stance implied that they should not franchise him. I felt all along that if he was worth paying big dollars on a franchise tag this year, he was worth signing to a contract to have him on the roster last year, this year, and beyond, regardless of his contract/rights situation. And IMO that view has been proven correct. IMO A.J. should have either signed him or traded him in preseason 2010. It might not change anything about this year, but IMO it would have changed last year.

Last year's team with Jackson for 16 games and without Sproles would have been better. (At least, the way Sproles was used).
The numbers say otherwise.
You're wrong.But is it really relevant anyway? After a solid season, San Diego will be in the position of tagging Jackson again or re-signing him. They're not going to let him walk. So now what, pay another $13M, or sign that 5-year contract that they didn't want to sign two years ago, so they can have him locked up through age 34?

There's no way in which failing to give Vincent Jackson a contract can be viewed as contributing to the success of the Chargers.
That's false. You have absolutely no idea how those funds would be used otherwise. And we have no idea if VJax tears an ACL tomorrow in practice and all that guaranteed $ goes down the tubes.
We have no idea how those funds would be used otherwise? Ummm.. They didn't give V-Jax the contract, and here we are... Good thing the Chargers saved all that money huh?Aren't you the same guy that said V-Jax wasn't sitting out to avoid the risk of getting hurt last season?

Point is, any player could get hurt at any time, so based on your reasoning, none of them should get paid...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with CalBear here. I am a Chargers fan who felt last year they should have either traded him or worked out a contract with him. I definitely think if they had VJax all season last year, the Chargers would have made the playoffs. I know many Chargers fans around here disagree, and, frankly, I think they react that way from a biased perspective. :shrug:I posted last season that I felt that A.J.'s stance implied that they should not franchise him. I felt all along that if he was worth paying big dollars on a franchise tag this year, he was worth signing to a contract to have him on the roster last year, this year, and beyond, regardless of his contract/rights situation. And IMO that view has been proven correct. IMO A.J. should have either signed him or traded him in preseason 2010. It might not change anything about this year, but IMO it would have changed last year.
Hard for me to remember which SD fans were saying what last season. Seemed like no one would admit there was fault on AJ's side. Here is some objective thought that a couple of these other folks should follow a little closer..

Is Philip Rivers playing hurt?

Through 10 games this season, Philip Rivers has thrown 17 interceptions. His previous high in five seasons as the Chargers starting quarterback: 15 in 2007, and that was over 16 games. Annually considered one of the league's best quarterbacks, Rivers' sudden plunge into mediocrity has been, well, baffling.

Offensively, the names are virtually unchanged, although Vincent Jackson and Rivers seem to find themselves on different pages of the playbook on a weekly basis, and tight end Antonio Gates doesn't yet appear to be fully healthy. Ryan Matthews occasionally flashes first-round talent, but he still lacks consistency. Then there's the offensive line which, due to injuries, is currently held together with duct tape and chicken wire. And let's not forget head coach Norv Turner, who could be out of a job come January.

While all of these issues play some role in Rivers' Season of Forgettable Football, there might be a simpler answer: he's hurt.

You'd never know it to ask him (he's denied it every time the question comes up), but there's a growing belief in league circles that Rivers' unexplained slide can actually be explained pretty easily: he's not 100 percent.

"Rivers repeatedly says nothing is wrong, but numerous NFL executives and coaches around the league disagree," ESPN's Adam Schefter wrote Friday. "What has happened many times in the past is that a quarterback who struggles during the season will acknowledge afterward that he was hurt. It wouldn't be stunning if the same happened with Rivers. Based on the opinion of people around the league, Rivers has to be playing hurt, no matter how much he denies it."

Sports Illustrated's Peter King echoed those sentiments during a Friday appearance on NBC SportsTalk, suggesting that we'll learn after the season that Rivers was playing hurt.

It sure would explain a lot, though we suspect such a revelation won't do much for Turner's job security.

Boy I guess Rivers does suck.

He's thrown for only 63 yards and is below 50% completions at halftime vs the #31 ranked defense vs a QB.

Let's see what he does the 2nd half. :shrug:

Is Philip Rivers playing hurt?

Through 10 games this season, Philip Rivers has thrown 17 interceptions. His previous high in five seasons as the Chargers starting quarterback: 15 in 2007, and that was over 16 games. Annually considered one of the league's best quarterbacks, Rivers' sudden plunge into mediocrity has been, well, baffling.

Offensively, the names are virtually unchanged, although Vincent Jackson and Rivers seem to find themselves on different pages of the playbook on a weekly basis, and tight end Antonio Gates doesn't yet appear to be fully healthy. Ryan Matthews occasionally flashes first-round talent, but he still lacks consistency. Then there's the offensive line which, due to injuries, is currently held together with duct tape and chicken wire. And let's not forget head coach Norv Turner, who could be out of a job come January.

While all of these issues play some role in Rivers' Season of Forgettable Football, there might be a simpler answer: he's hurt.

You'd never know it to ask him (he's denied it every time the question comes up), but there's a growing belief in league circles that Rivers' unexplained slide can actually be explained pretty easily: he's not 100 percent.

"Rivers repeatedly says nothing is wrong, but numerous NFL executives and coaches around the league disagree," ESPN's Adam Schefter wrote Friday. "What has happened many times in the past is that a quarterback who struggles during the season will acknowledge afterward that he was hurt. It wouldn't be stunning if the same happened with Rivers. Based on the opinion of people around the league, Rivers has to be playing hurt, no matter how much he denies it."

Sports Illustrated's Peter King echoed those sentiments during a Friday appearance on NBC SportsTalk, suggesting that we'll learn after the season that Rivers was playing hurt.

It sure would explain a lot, though we suspect such a revelation won't do much for Turner's job security.
Find a new favorite player. Mine is still Peyton Manning, with Andrew Luck waiting in the wings :)

I am starting to think that his success had a lot more to do with Gates than we may have thought. I know Gates is playing now, but he is not the same player he was in the past.

I am starting to think that his success had a lot more to do with Gates than we may have thought. I know Gates is playing now, but he is not the same player he was in the past.
I think it is is 3 things. 1. The Prime Gates factor you mention above. 2. Sproles3. Offensive Line play

I think OL too. It had to be better last year. The pocket is collapsing immendiately every pass and the statue can't get away. At this point in time he is Dan Marino at age 38. He can't do anything on the run. As soon as he starts running there is no way he is going to complete the pass.

I think OL too. It had to be better last year. The pocket is collapsing immendiately every pass and the statue can't get away. At this point in time he is Dan Marino at age 38. He can't do anything on the run. As soon as he starts running there is no way he is going to complete the pass.
I agree. He was under a lot of pressure today. And there are not too many QBs who can be good consistently when they are under heavy pressure.

I agree. He was under a lot of pressure today. And there are not too many QBs who can be good consistently when they are under heavy pressure.
They have the definition of a patchwork OL right now, picked up an FA off the street last week and a PS guy. From watching the games, these guys may actually be doing a slightly better job than the starters. Not a good showing from Rivers today, but against Von Miller and Dumervil and the limited time he was given, I think he managed ok. Chargers really need to pick solidify the O-line this next draft. Luckily, with their current trajectory, they may have a good shot at an impact player for the OL. Right now they're not doing him any favors.

They have the definition of a patchwork OL right now, picked up an FA off the street last week and a PS guy. From watching the games, these guys may actually be doing a slightly better job than the starters. Not a good showing from Rivers today, but against Von Miller and Dumervil and the limited time he was given, I think he managed ok. Chargers really need to pick solidify the O-line this next draft. Luckily, with their current trajectory, they may have a good shot at an impact player for the OL. Right now they're not doing him any favors.
Funny how quiet the pro-Rivers, anti-Cutler guys ( :hey: Maurile) have been of late. Makes a big difference when there's no line there to protect him, nowhere near as good as Jay when on the run.

There are a lot of quarterbacks I'd rather have than Rivers right now, for this season, but Cutler isn't one of them.
Hopefully that's just tongue-in-cheek due to Cutler's injury, otherwise a statement that biased/stupid would make it very hard to take any of your rankings or articles seriously.

There are a lot of quarterbacks I'd rather have than Rivers right now, for this season, but Cutler isn't one of them.
Hopefully that's just tongue-in-cheek due to Cutler's injury, otherwise a statement that biased/stupid would make it very hard to take any of your rankings or articles seriously.
Wouldnt go that far. He is a homer for the Chargers with bias for Rivers... understand that, adjust for that and don't let it affect the rest.

Anyone notice the (late in the career) Dan Marino attitude on every failed drive. Comes off screaming at anyone who looks at him and if no one is looking, just screams into the air.

'FavreCo said:
Anyone notice the (late in the career) Dan Marino attitude on every failed drive. Comes off screaming at anyone who looks at him and if no one is looking, just screams into the air.
Very funny and apropos comparison. Rivers has an inflated sense of self.

I've trotted Rivers out each and every week, but I just don't know if I can do it this week. Last time Jacksonville was on prime time they played very inspired defense against Baltimore. This Jags teams hasn't allowed more than 24 points to be scored against them since week 5......and......they rank 4th in the NFL verse the pass. Smells like 190 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and possibly a fumble for Rivers.

Rivers seems to have lost some zip on his passes..........and certainly isn't throwing the ball down field much. Yes, I get that the O-line isn't giving him time, but.....if you need to keep a RB and a TE in to let him air it out once in a while then DO IT!

Put Cutler on SD this season and he might have doubled River's numbers.
Yeah, he'd probably have twice the INTs. I'm sure he'd do worse in every other category though.
Bull####. Cutler was exceptional before the injury. Bears couldn't even get past KC at home without him.There were definitely times this year when the Chargers looked as though they would be better off with Rivers riding the pine.

Yeah, he'd probably have twice the INTs. I'm sure he'd do worse in every other category though.
Bull####. Cutler was exceptional before the injury. Bears couldn't even get past KC at home without him.There were definitely times this year when the Chargers looked as though they would be better off with Rivers riding the pine.
Rivers63.4% comp8.0 y/a+6 TD/INTCutler58% comp7.4 y/a+6 TD/INT Keep in mind this was a better than average season for Cutler and one of Rivers worst seasons.

Rivers63.4% comp8.0 y/a+6 TD/INTCutler58% comp7.4 y/a+6 TD/INT Keep in mind this was a better than average season for Cutler and one of Rivers worst seasons.
I can't even begin to think how well Cutler would be with those targets to throw to. You only have to look how quickly the Bears have turned into a bottom five team without him to see he's had to make lemonade out of lemons every week he's been a Bear.

'chook said:
'BoltBacker said:
I can't even begin to think how well Cutler would be with those targets to throw to. You only have to look how quickly the Bears have turned into a bottom five team without him to see he's had to make lemonade out of lemons every week he's been a Bear.
:lmao:The numbers don't back me up so I'll just make stuff up. Awesome. You sound like calbear here.

'chook said:
'BoltBacker said:
:lmao:The numbers don't back me up so I'll just make stuff up. Awesome. You sound like calbear here.
Not to mention the entire reason this thread got dredged back up was because Rivers was making mistakes in the red zone, turning the ball over, forcing the ball, making poor reads. In other words the whole reason think he's playing "terrible" this year is because he was playing like Cutler has over the course of his career.

'chook said:
'BoltBacker said:
Not to mention the entire reason this thread got dredged back up was because Rivers was making mistakes in the red zone, turning the ball over, forcing the ball, making poor reads. In other words the whole reason think he's playing "terrible" this year is because he was playing like Cutler has over the course of his career.
:thumbup: Cutler had one good season a few years back. Rivers has been exceptional for a while now.

He seemed to be getting things together, but then decided to revert back to the Rivers of the first 10 games of the season. I understand taking a chance with 5 minutes to go, down by 3 TD's for a quick score, but he threw to a guy (Jackson) with a groin injury.

I think they would have been better off, taking 10 yards a play and scoring (assuming they were able to execute) with about 2:30-3:00 to go, and then onside kicking/using their 3 TO's to get the ball back with about 2:00 to go...At least if they score with :30 seconds left, they have one last chance to get the ball back.....

'dickey moe said:
'DanFouts said:
Pro Bowl...... :popcorn:
horse####
It seems crazy, but not nearly as crazy as when he didn't make it in 2008 despite throwing for over 4,000 yards while leading the league in touchdowns, yards per attempt, and QB rating.This year was a terrible year for AFC quarterbacks. Manning and Schaub are out. Brady and Roethlisberger are in, but who else? I would have gone with Tim Tebow, personally. But aside from him . . . Ryan Fitzpatrick? Carson Palmer? Mark Sanchez? Joe Flacco? There's really nobody else deserving.

shuould be brady then big ben although he should probably be in jail in real life and then schaub should still get in he was that good before he got hurt and then rivers then dalton and then no way do you put in tebow because althuogh he wins good on him mate he is still a terrible qb by all metrics such as yards ratings etc so take it to the bank

Good finish for Rivers. He'll be undervalued next year.
:goodposting:During today's game, the announcers said Rivers is now only one of five QBs who have had back to back seasons with 4500+ passing yards. :thumbup:It will be interesting to see what coach takes over and how the offensive philosophy changes, if at all.

The NFL has announced the three finalists for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, given to a player who excels both on the field and in their communities.Chargers QB Philip Rivers, Ravens C Matt Birk and Bears CB Charles Tillman are the finalists for the award to be named on Feb. 4 in Indianapolis, site of Super Bowl XLVI. Rivers made his fifth Pro Bowl this season after throwing for more than 4,500 yards. A father of six, the Chargers QB also works with The Rivers of Hope Foundation, which helps abandoned and orphaned children find new homes. He also runs football camps and creates awareness for foster children throughout San Diego County.

The NFL has announced the three finalists for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, given to a player who excels both on the field and in their communities.

Chargers QB Philip Rivers, Ravens C Matt Birk and Bears CB Charles Tillman are the finalists for the award to be named on Feb. 4 in Indianapolis, site of Super Bowl XLVI. Rivers made his fifth Pro Bowl this season after throwing for more than 4,500 yards. A father of six, the Chargers QB also works with The Rivers of Hope Foundation, which helps abandoned and orphaned children find new homes. He also runs football camps and creates awareness for foster children throughout San Diego County.
:eek: He could do with throwing a few more into the ground.

While I think Norv Turner is the #1 reason the Chargers have not reached the Super Bowl, Phillip Rivers has to be a disappointment by now, no?

We heard for years how Eli was not as good as Rivers, the Giants gave up too much, blah, blah, blah...but what has Rivers done? They have had a good enough defense. They have good weapons on offense. It's a mystery. Ben has been to 2. Eli is in his 2nd. :confused:

While I think Norv Turner is the #1 reason the Chargers have not reached the Super Bowl, Phillip Rivers has to be a disappointment by now, no?We heard for years how Eli was not as good as Rivers, the Giants gave up too much, blah, blah, blah...but what has Rivers done? They have had a good enough defense. They have good weapons on offense. It's a mystery. Ben has been to 2. Eli is in his 2nd. :confused:
well the main reason in the AFC is: NE Pit Indy one of these 3 teams pretty much go to the Superbowl every year recently. SD hasnt made the playoffs in 2 seasons because AJ smith has had some downright terrible drafts and the Defense is putrid.

While I think Norv Turner is the #1 reason the Chargers have not reached the Super Bowl, Phillip Rivers has to be a disappointment by now, no?We heard for years how Eli was not as good as Rivers, the Giants gave up too much, blah, blah, blah...but what has Rivers done? They have had a good enough defense. They have good weapons on offense. It's a mystery. Ben has been to 2. Eli is in his 2nd. :confused:
Rivers was disappointing in 2011. He'd been fantastic before that. I'd still take him over Eli and Ben if I were starting a team from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread