Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Moe Green

Philip Rivers Is Terrible

Inexcusable how Rivers seems to be regressing.

There used to be so much talk about his accuracy and quick release, but it appears his shot putt motion is no longer working like it once did. Just bad qb play out of Rivers.

He's very average.

Been saying this for the last 7 years...fell largely on deaf ears around these guppy parts.

Exposed

Philip Rivers sucks. He just does.

While I think Norv Turner is the #1 reason the Chargers have not reached the Super Bowl, Phillip Rivers has to be a disappointment by now, no?We heard for years how Eli was not as good as Rivers, the Giants gave up too much, blah, blah, blah...but what has Rivers done? They have had a good enough defense. They have good weapons on offense. It's a mystery. Ben has been to 2. Eli is in his 2nd. :confused:

Rivers was disappointing in 2011. He'd been fantastic before that. I'd still take him over Eli and Ben if I were starting a team from scratch.
:mellow:

He had some lazy, backfoot throws tonight.

He is really really awful when he has to move and throw.

Just like my namesake I guess. No ring.

Watching his performance, gunslinging tendancies, and how he conducts himself/speaks in the interview currently it's uncanny how much he reminds me of Favre.

"I wasn't fooled out there once today" - Phillip Rivers

This is true. It was five times.

Six freakin' kids...

:bag:

"I wasn't fooled out there once today" - Phillip Rivers

This is true. It was five times.
:lmao:

Officially jumped off his bandwagon. I wanted to believe there were other issues at play, but he is just not very good anymore. Consistently underthrowing balls, bad throws, bad decisions all around. Sign us up for a 1st round QB this draft.

He's very average.

Been saying this for the last 7 years...fell largely on deaf ears around these guppy parts.

Exposed

2011 and 2012 have been his average years.

ETA :wall: Why do I keep responding to this

Edited by JHuber77

There has got to be an explanation for this other than "he sucks". He has been too good a Qb at times to go into the tank this way.

There has got to be an explanation for this other than "he sucks". He has been too good a Qb at times to go into the tank this way.

well the line is not great. but the thing that really hurts him is they just chuck it up deep a couple times a game and it gets picked more times than not. a couple of those ints last night were on the wr....

:shrug: He is a poor man's Jay Cutler

well the line is not great. but the thing that really hurts him is they just chuck it up deep a couple times a game and it gets picked more times than not. a couple of those ints last night were on the wr....
Half the time he chucks it deep, he has no room to step into the throw. He's just chucking it and getting hit. He's throwing off his back foot. Nobody can be consistently accurate that way.The offensive line really needs to play better. Barring that, the play-calling needs to change — either keeping more guys in to block, or using more quick, horizontal routes on one- or three-step drops. Barring that, Rivers needs to just take more sacks when his team is up in the second half, instead of throwing off his back foot with a hand in his face and praying.

OLs are THE most important thing in real life and fantasy football. I swear next year I'm going to primarily and extensively study OLs before going into the draft.

OLs are THE most important thing in real life and fantasy football.

I completely agree with you.An OLmen contributes on every single pass play, every single run play, even the most important special teams plays(FG attempts). Compare that to how often a specialized position like WR for instance contributes and it's amazing teams don't spend more $ and higher draft picks on the OL. The only SB champion I can think of with a terrible OL was that recent PIT team and that's because it's so difficult to sack Big Ben. He's been incredibly effective behind a poor OL for a long time but I can't think of any other QB that is.

Half the time he chucks it deep, he has no room to step into the throw. He's just chucking it and getting hit. He's throwing off his back foot. Nobody can be consistently accurate that way.The offensive line really needs to play better. Barring that, the play-calling needs to change — either keeping more guys in to block, or using more quick, horizontal routes on one- or three-step drops. Barring that, Rivers needs to just take more sacks when his team is up in the second half, instead of throwing off his back foot with a hand in his face and praying.
:goodposting:

OLs are THE most important thing in real life and fantasy football. I swear next year I'm going to primarily and extensively study OLs before going into the draft.

Giants GM Jerry Reese about the phenomenon of league wide poor line play: "Offensive line play probably is not as good as it used to be because, more than ever, all the best athletes play defense. You see it at the combine. The height, weight, speed difference between the lines is pretty dramatic."

I just don't like the d-bag.

Edited by flapgreen

It was painful to watch today. They really did scale back the offense and boy did it look ugly. Norv, what a genius.

Didn't see the game. Read where SD passed on a 46 yard field goal attempt to go for it on 4th and 1. Battle, not Mathews, got stuffed. Dittos on the genius satire!

It was painful to watch today. They really did scale back the offense and boy did it look ugly. Norv, what a genius.

Didn't see the game. Read where SD passed on a 46 yard field goal attempt to go for it on 4th and 1. Battle, not Mathews, got stuffed. Dittos on the genius satire!
A 46-yarder in those conditions would have been difficult. Going for it was the right decision, IMO.I don't know why Battle got the call instead of Mathews, but I don't think it would have mattered. Gates just totally whiffed his block, and the defender had a clean shot on the RB in the backfield.That one was on Gates, not Norv (or Battle).

I love this threads title!!!

He reminds me of the ##### bag younger brother Derrick from Step Brothers. "Oh I know that look, you wanna pucnh in the face don't you?"

Yes Phillip I wanna punch you in the ####### face!!! :boxing:

Phillip is going to make a lot of people in this thread look stupid over the next 8-9 games.

I read all these posts on the forum bashing Rivers so I decided I had to pick him up in every league where people dropped him. I'm glad I did that. I started him over Fitz, Alex Smith, Ponder, and Freeman this week in one league, and he's my QB2 in three others now. Can't believe so many people dumped him like that. At worst he was still a solid backup QB, but people trashed him like he was 2008 Alex Smith.

I love this threads title!!!He reminds me of the ##### bag younger brother Derrick from Step Brothers. "Oh I know that look, you wanna pucnh in the face don't you?"Yes Phillip I wanna punch you in the ####### face!!! :boxing:

This is a great thread title. Straight up he just sucks, no need to elaborate. Edited by flapgreen

Phillip is going to make a lot of people in this thread look stupid over the next 8-9 games.

He plays the Chiefs 8 more times in a row? Edited by CurlyDumps

He plays the Chiefs 8 more times in a row?
:lol:The title of this thread says it all.

Starting with you?

Starting with you?
:lmao: That INT was hilarious. He threw it right to him and then came up with some lameass excuse of 'it stuck to my hand a little longer than I wanted it to'. No, you threw it right to him. This guy has entered late stage Dan Marino. However on that play there was no one to ##### at. Couldn't even go off on Norv.

At this point, SD has to at least consider picking his eventual replacement in the early rounds of the '13 draft, no?

At this point, SD has to at least consider picking his eventual replacement in the early rounds of the '13 draft, no?

I'm sure the new coaching staff will consider this.

Why? Because his OL is historically bad?