What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (2 Viewers)

At this point, SD has to at least consider picking his eventual replacement in the early rounds of the '13 draft, no?
Why? Because his OL is historically bad?
Oh c'mon. Even on those rare occasions when he has time to throw, he often either makes terrible throws with his noodle arm or he'll make a head-scratching decision. This isn't ALL on him, but a helluva lot of it sure is.

At this point, SD has to at least consider picking his eventual replacement in the early rounds of the '13 draft, no?
Oh c'mon. Even on those rare occasions when he has time to throw, he often either makes terrible throws with his noodle arm or he'll make a head-scratching decision. This isn't ALL on him, but a helluva lot of it sure is.
Like the back to back plays where he had way more than plenty of time and he chucked the ball to no one. On both plays, the refs hasd to announce that player 'XX' was 'in the vicinity'. Dude has one ugly throwing motion.

He didn't even try to hurry the offense up after the sack to end the game, this guy is a cancer and a horrible person as well as horrible and pathetic player.

He didn't even try to hurry the offense up after the sack to end the game, this guy is a cancer and a horrible person as well as horrible and pathetic player.
Dude had 6 kids. He's probably getting NO sleep, which shows on the field.
Maybe him and his wife shouldn't be so selfish. Stop reproducing already. I can see 1 kid, I can kinda see 2, but after that it's just ignorant and selfish. Not to mention he doesn't have nearly enough time to devote attention to 6 kids if he's a professional athlete.You shouldn't be given slack simply because you managed to reproduce 6 times.

That's being a bit dramatic. To be fair this OL is only slightly worse than the SD OL last season. Which was only slightly worse than the OL the year before. You have to remember the STARTING LT has been a guy picked up as a FA that nobody else wanted for a few years now. Before that the team had a gimp that nobody else thought warranted a roster spot and "retired" because there was no interest. It's been like this for awhile.You do have a point that people saying, "Well, Rivers needs to have better mechanics and set his feet and step into his throws blah blah blah" are stupid people. They are the same ones saying what a stupid throw Rivers makes when he's outside the pocket and running toward the sidelines. I have news for you, if Rivers is outside the pocket the play has gone terribly wrong already. Should Rivers throw the ball away every time the protection breaks down? Maybe. I don't think the offense would be any better if he did.

Fine with me. That Danario TD he missed would've ended my season.
Gates was absolutely naked over the middle in the end zone on that last INT. Rivers just goes with losing now. It's in his DNA.
One might ask why he threw it 48 times (vs. a total of 9 rushes by San DIego running backs) in a game they were leading in the fourth quarter.But one might only have to look at the sidelines to see why.

Fine with me. That Danario TD he missed would've ended my season.
Gates was absolutely naked over the middle in the end zone on that last INT. Rivers just goes with losing now. It's in his DNA.
One might ask why he threw it 48 times (vs. a total of 9 rushes by San DIego running backs) in a game they were leading in the fourth quarter.But one might only have to look at the sidelines to see why.
I was out and missed the afternoon games and when I saw the box score it was puzzling until i realized it was Norv Turner. That is just unreal. At this point he's just sticking to his guns out of spite. He can't possibly be that dumb, can he?

I realize he didn't play well this year... but his passing stats aren't that bad

64.1 completion %

3,600 yards(ehhh but I didn't want to be biased so I put it up anyway)

26 passing TDs

15 INTs

QB rating 88.6

You really have to take into account who he was throwing to and how horrible his offensive line is.

This team has imploded around him in recent years.

Since week 9, when he got a competent weapon (Danario Alexander)

weeks 9-17:

Passing yards: 1960

completion %: 63.7%

TDs: 16

Ints: 6

QB rating: 93.9

He also didn't throw a INT the last 4 weeks of the year 3 of those games against good pass Ds(Jets,Steelers and Panthers)

Obviously the bigger issue is the fumbles... 7 fumbles lost this year? has that ever happened before?

that is miserable and i have no reasoning to say that will change.

All I am saying is the passing has gotten better and hes started to look like his old self again. In 2013 he should have Vincent Brown back, along with Danario again, giving him still below average receivers... but solid enough to help him out.

They still need to address the line and TE along with WR but with a new GM and HC coming in , I'd imagine a lot of turnover from now to 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge difference between halves for Rivers last year:

1st Half - 184/279 (66%)/2076/15/6, 7.4 YPA

2nd Half - 149/240 (62%)/1497/11/9, 6.2 YPA

Dude had 6 kids. He's probably getting NO sleep, which shows on the field.
Kurt Warner has at least that many kids and i'd still take him today over Rivers and I'd say the Cardinals fans would love to have him back too.
Yeah, but Warner's kids act like Warner, so they are easyimagine 1/2 dozen little punks running around with Rivers' attitude

I've never been a big fan of rivers but I can't help but think he will bounce back this year. The saying goes you're never as good as you look and you're never as bad as you look. Well the chargers were pretty much terrible across the board on offense last year. No running game, horrible line play, lackluster wr's, and mind boggling coaching and play calling. They haven't done much to improve through free agency, other than the addition of Danny woodhead, but things can only improve from last season. I'd also say the new coaching staff can only be a positive.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ilip-rivers-last-shot-with-san-diego-chargers

Is 2013 Philip Rivers' last shot with San Diego Chargers?
By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Could Philip Rivers be entering his last season with the San Diego Chargers?

Three years ago, it was unthinkable that the Bolts would willfully cut ties with Rivers. But back-to-back mediocre seasons, combined with the reality of new faces at head coach (Mike McCoy) and general manager (Tom Telesco), puts Rivers in a precarious position as he enters his 10th season.

U-T San Diego columnist Kevin Acee summed up the situation during a Wednesday appearance on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft."

"No one will say it, but I think that 2013 is the final audition of Philip Rivers," Acee said.

Acee bases his assumption on San Diego's decision not to restructure Rivers' contract this offseason despite the team's tight salary-cap situation. Acee says the Chargers' choice to sit tight on Rivers "speaks volumes."

Rivers has committed 47 turnovers over the past two seasons, the most of any player in the non-Mark Sanchez division. The prior regime did Rivers no favors, depleting the cast of playmakers around him while allowing the offensive line to turn to mush. Rivers was sacked 49 times last season. You'd probably be chucking and ducking, too.

If Rivers truly is in "prove it" mode, the Chargers owe it to the quarterback to give him a better support system in 2013. That starts with finding a new left tackle with the 11th overall pick. Providing a better receiver option than Robert Meachem would also help.

We're of the opinion that Rivers has good years left in him. He just can't do it alone, which puts him in the same company as every other quarterback in NFL history.

Follow Dan Hanzus on Twitter @DanHanzus.

Never been a fan, but if the price is right, I'd take a chance on him.

...and I think the price will be right. I expect both Rivers and Cutler to be in the QB16-20 range. Both are guys that have been FF QB1s previously and are in new offenses. I think one or the other finishes above QB10 this year.

FF Ninja said:

...and I think the price will be right. I expect both Rivers and Cutler to be in the QB16-20 range. Both are guys that have been FF QB1s previously and are in new offenses. I think one or the other finishes above QB10 this year.
Yeah and pair one of them with Blount and Hillis.

FF Ninja said:

Yeah and pair one of them with Blount and Hillis.
Nice contribution, DB.

Rotoworld:

After studying Philip Rivers' 2012 tape, ESPN's Ron Jaworski described Rivers' play as "deteriorating" and said he was "disappointed" watching the film.
Jaws still loves the way Rivers "commands the offense" but was disappointed in his tendency to "force" things and attempt to become a "playmaker" when he's in nature a disciplined "pocket quarterback." Rivers' decline has been swift and steady, and for the second straight offseason we're skeptical he's capable of bouncing back. Rivers has become overreactive when under duress, and there's little question his arm strength has regressed.

Rotoworld:

After studying Philip Rivers' 2012 tape, ESPN's Ron Jaworski described Rivers' play as "deteriorating" and said he was "disappointed" watching the film.
Jaws still loves the way Rivers "commands the offense" but was disappointed in his tendency to "force" things and attempt to become a "playmaker" when he's in nature a disciplined "pocket quarterback." Rivers' decline has been swift and steady, and for the second straight offseason we're skeptical he's capable of bouncing back. Rivers has become overreactive when under duress, and there's little question his arm strength has regressed.
Jaws was just way slow on recognizing Rivers actual play and shortcomings.

Rotoworld:

No ##### Ron. Rivers had zero playmakers last year, so forcing it behind perhaps the worst offensive line in football was necessary.

Rivers definitely tried to force things last year.

I'm hesitant to think that he'll turn things around, but I really doubt that he'll keep regressing.

Rotoworld:

No ##### Ron. Rivers had zero playmakers last year, so forcing it behind perhaps the worst offensive line in football was necessary.
Jaws is an idiot. Disappointing that supposed experts miss obvious stuff like this. Rivers was quite effective when he wasn't under pressure (see link below) despite the scarcity of receiving options, but unfortunately he was under pressure a lot. I think this year will be the first year I've ever had Rivers on any of my teams. Four of the last five years have been top 10 finishes. At a price of ADP22, I'll roll the dice that last year was more on Norv and the OL than Rivers. He'll have better (but not great) receiving options this year, too.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/07/07/quarterback-pressure-points/

Mike McCoy: Philip Rivers must get 'back to the basics'

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

It's not outlandish to say that Philip Rivers' play will dictate the success or failure of the San Diego Chargers' 2013 season.

Rivers' inconsistency has critics swarming, but new coach Mike McCoy believes his quarterback will have a "great year" as long as the team simplifies things.

"We got to get him going back to the basics," McCoy said Monday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access."

"Take what the defense gives you. Don't be afraid to check it down. You don't have to make that big play every play."

McCoy said Rivers gets in trouble when he tries to do too much, but it's on the entire offense to become more consistent.

"We are going to do some different things in the passing game with him to raise the completion percentage, get the ball out of his hand a little bit quicker," McCoy said. "Help the offensive line. Run the football better. That's the key. You have to run the football."

Rivers' 2012 season arguably was his most inconsistent since taking over as the full-time starter in 2006. McCoy is known for getting the most out of his quarterbacks (see: Tebow, Tim), but if he isn't able to fix Rivers' current downward spiral, the quarterback's bloated contract will look even more heinous.

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.

It's not outlandish to say that Philip Rivers' play will dictate the success or failure of the San Diego Chargers' 2013 season.

Rivers' inconsistency has critics swarming, but new coach Mike McCoy believes his quarterback will have a "great year" as long as the team simplifies things.

"We got to get him going back to the basics," McCoy said Monday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access."

"Take what the defense gives you. Don't be afraid to check it down. You don't have to make that big play every play."

McCoy said Rivers gets in trouble when he tries to do too much, but it's on the entire offense to become more consistent.

"We are going to do some different things in the passing game with him to raise the completion percentage, get the ball out of his hand a little bit quicker," McCoy said. "Help the offensive line. Run the football better. That's the key. You have to run the football."

Rivers' 2012 season arguably was his most inconsistent since taking over as the full-time starter in 2006. McCoy is known for getting the most out of his quarterbacks (see: Tebow, Tim), but if he isn't able to fix Rivers' current downward spiral, the quarterback's bloated contract will look even more heinous.

By Kevin Patra NFL.com

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.
Uh-oh, who does that help?

Users who are viewing this thread