What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Philip Rivers, RET (5 Viewers)

Just Win Baby said:
Green should have caught a TD and didn't make the play.
I think you're letting Milkman get to you. That would have been an extraordinary grab.
Agree to disagree. He gets paid to make that catch.
There's not a lot of players in the league that could even get there hands on that ball let alone catch it.

Can't wait until this guy blows up on another team next year. I'll settle down for now since it's bothering you so much but check out how open he was early in the game inside the 20 when Rivers forced it to Allen.

Rivers is so good. The Chargers need to put a better team around him before it's too late.
This is the real takeaway from that article. The Chargers front office has failed miserably in this regard. Rivers has covered up a pretty high degree of incompetence in the front office, while guys like Joe Flacco have had enough support to win a championship.

I wanted to publicly apologize to mr. rivers for the horrible things i was calling him for the first half + today vs. OAK. wasn't tracking the FF scores, but he must have put up around 25 in the 2nd half.

and thank him for feeding woodhead late.

Yeah. I was down 10 points in the 3rd quarter and I had Rivers and Woodhead going. Needless to say I feel bad for some of the names I was calling them now. Still, 80% of that game was pure garbage. Between his depleted OL and his annual fade I wonder if I should be looking at a solid backup option now.

Hes been doing this all year. Why look for another option? Not many qbs id take over him now. Maybe brady, rodgers, and thats it

Hes been doing this all year. Why look for another option? Not many qbs id take over him now. Maybe brady, rodgers, and thats it
I'm torn. I absolutely love the points he's provided the last few weeks and he's been an easy top 5 play week in and week out....but this week was pure garbage time. I know it's only one week and he's been pretty solid up till now. But the guy fades in the last 1/3 of the season and I'm just keeping an eye out for that possibility.

Between his depleted OL and his annual fade I wonder if I should be looking at a solid backup option now.
But the guy fades in the last 1/3 of the season and I'm just keeping an eye out for that possibility.
There is no annual fade over the last third of the season. Philip Rivers is Mr. December. (Link1, link2, link3, link4, link5, etc.)

He faded in 2014 (playing hurt) and that's fresh in your mind, but it's usually been the opposite.

(Of course, pretty much all generalizations along the lines of "this guy fades down the stretch" or "that guy is awesome in December" or "this guy plays poorly in weeks divisible by three," etc., are simply examples of splits happening.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Between his depleted OL and his annual fade I wonder if I should be looking at a solid backup option now.
But the guy fades in the last 1/3 of the season and I'm just keeping an eye out for that possibility.
There is no annual fade over the last third of the season. Philip Rivers is Mr. December. (Link1, link2, link3, link4, link5, etc.)

He faded in 2014 (playing hurt) and that's fresh in your mind, but it's usually been the opposite.

(Of course, pretty much all generalizations along the lines of "this guy fades down the stretch" or "that guy is awesome in December" or "this guy plays poorly in weeks divisible by three," etc., are simply examples of splits happening.)
Huh, very good post. I stand corrected.

I guess mostly I'm concerned that his Oline is horrible and banged up, he's an older QB who has already taken a lot of shots, and the first 3 quarters of the Raiders game he looked abysmal. Can't count on a 4th quarter miracle weekly and if he completely craps the bed in the playoffs then you could be knocked out.

That said, he's the top QB scorer in my league right now. So at the end of the day I'll probably be starting him no matter what. They'll be throwing a ton since the running game and defense are sub par

Getting a bit nervous about Rivers. Yes the guy has been putting up great point totals but his situation seems to be deteriorating around him: 4th string OL, receivers getting banged up, coaching staff trying to force feed a bad RB (Gordon) instead of the guy who could make the offense hum (Woodhead).

I'm going to be working on moving him this week. Will be difficult with his bye coming up but hoping someone in my league is just looking at weekly scores and not the entirety of the situation. I don't need this potential headache come playoff time.

Getting a bit nervous about Rivers. Yes the guy has been putting up great point totals but his situation seems to be deteriorating around him: 4th string OL, receivers getting banged up, coaching staff trying to force feed a bad RB (Gordon) instead of the guy who could make the offense hum (Woodhead).

I'm going to be working on moving him this week. Will be difficult with his bye coming up but hoping someone in my league is just looking at weekly scores and not the entirety of the situation. I don't need this potential headache come playoff time.
What's going to change come playoff time? The only thing to fear is injury.

Insein said:
timbrah_ho said:

What's going to change come playoff time? The only thing to fear is injury.
Yeah...I've backed off the ledge a little since Carr went off today. I picked up Carr last week to backup Rivers come week 10 and if he keeps delivering then I feel much better about having Rivers as my primary.

My concern is/was last week was a complete disaster until a late 4th quarter garbage spree...and today was "ok" until that 70 yard bomb. Can't count on garbage time and long bombs all the time.

Running out of targets, no running game, still woulda put up 300/2 tonight if his receivers didnt let him down. Hopefully this bye week will get both TEs healthy and his wideouts will start holding onto the ball.

Not his fault really but you can't take two sacks on that last drive when you are on the edge of field goal range. Coach's fault for not leaving an rb to block, River's fault for not feeling the heat.

What do we think ros?

With all of the injuries piling up, I'm not sure how much we can expect. Debating whether he is worth holding through the bye in a ten team league.

Even as a Raiders fan, I don't harbor any particular ill will against Rivers, but there is something that just makes me enjoy seeing this guy fail and be miserable about it. Seems like such a whiner.

What are people doing about starting Rivers this weekend against the vaunted Denver D?

I've been rolling him all year, but thinking of getting a fill-in off waivers for the week. Hate to burn a waiver spot for a one week guy, but also am very wary of Rivers putting up 22-47-190 with 1 TD and 3 INT, or something like that.

I grabbed Stafford as he was sitting on my WW and used him last night. This is also half with an eye on weeks 15 and 16 where both of them have good matchups so the options when paired will be plentiful

Starting Tannehill over Rivers
Uggh... that's the only viable option available on my wire, but I don't really want to drop anyone for Tanny. He's just so uninspiring.

FBG says Denver is 17th against the QB over the last 4 weeks, so it's not like the matchup is unbeatable. I'm starting Rivers with low expectations.

I picked up Hasselback to start over Rivers - just don't trust him against the Bronco, even at home.

Hass is older than fire, but he's playing well, has some good receiving options, Gore is struggling on the ground, and I think there will be a lot of points on SNF.

Starting Marcus over Rivers. I have a feeling Denver is going to run a lot today and San Diego won't have many opportunities to put up points.

I picked up Hasselback to start over Rivers - just don't trust him against the Bronco, even at home.

Hass is older than fire, but he's playing well, has some good receiving options, Gore is struggling on the ground, and I think there will be a lot of points on SNF.
I've actually done exactly the same on dynasty this week. The beauty of it is that Hass was my QB when I joined the league 13 years ago, but never actually played in a playoff game for me back then.

Users who are viewing this thread