Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Moe Green

Philip Rivers Is Terrible

Recommended Posts

The Chargers are 118-90 in the regular season since Rivers took over. 5-6 in the playoffs losing several games they were favored in. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the title of this thread calls him terrible but I've never claimed that. He's just not elite. 

Time will tell if he's a HOF. I don't think he should be but I don't think Eli is either.......Teams don't really fear him and he's had some great teams around that he didn't win a SB with......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Milkman said:

The Chargers are 118-90 in the regular season since Rivers took over. 5-6 in the playoffs losing several games they were favored in. 

 

Brady, peyton and Roethlisberger are a combined 47-27 since rivers has been in the NFL. There have been 74 playoff games between AFC opponents from the 2004 to 2018 seasons, and those 3 guys have won over half (38). 

Flacco has 9 wins against afc opponents in that time, but hasn't put up elite passing stats. 

Of the remaining qbs, rvers has won 5, which is more than any other afc qb in that time.

Brady (23), Roethlisberger (12), manning (11) flacco (9) and rivers (5) are the top 5 quarterbacks in wins against afc opponents. All other quarterbacks have 14 wins combined.  5 of his 6 losses came against them, and two of his wins (both against peyton).

I don't know if that's an argument that helps or hurts him, but he played against some very tough contemporaries. Maybe he doesn't belong in the hall because he wasn't top 3 in his own conference.  Maybe he does because he played really well but happened to be in a dominant era for afc qbs.

But before you rush to judgment on rivers - the most winning nfc qbs in that same timeframe are Rodgers (9 nfc wins), brees (8) and eli (6). Maybe rivers was just in the same conference as some dominant teams.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Brady, peyton and Roethlisberger are a combined 47-27 since rivers has been in the NFL. There have been 74 playoff games between AFC opponents from the 2004 to 2018 seasons, and those 3 guys have won over half (38). 

Flacco has 9 wins against afc opponents in that time, but hasn't put up elite passing stats. 

Of the remaining qbs, rvers has won 5, which is more than any other afc qb in that time.

Brady (23), Roethlisberger (12), manning (11) flacco (9) and rivers (5) are the top 5 quarterbacks in wins against afc opponents. All other quarterbacks have 14 wins combined.  5 of his 6 losses came against them, and two of his wins (both against peyton).

I don't know if that's an argument that helps or hurts him, but he played against some very tough contemporaries. Maybe he doesn't belong in the hall because he wasn't top 3 in his own conference.  Maybe he does because he played really well but happened to be in a dominant era for afc qbs.

But before you rush to judgment on rivers - the most winning nfc qbs in that same timeframe are Rodgers (9 nfc wins), brees (8) and eli (6). Maybe rivers was just in the same conference as some dominant teams.  

Or a conference with a majority of hapless teams?

Interesting post Bfred.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Brady, peyton and Roethlisberger are a combined 47-27 since rivers has been in the NFL. There have been 74 playoff games between AFC opponents from the 2004 to 2018 seasons, and those 3 guys have won over half (38). 

Flacco has 9 wins against afc opponents in that time, but hasn't put up elite passing stats. 

Of the remaining qbs, rvers has won 5, which is more than any other afc qb in that time.

Brady (23), Roethlisberger (12), manning (11) flacco (9) and rivers (5) are the top 5 quarterbacks in wins against afc opponents. All other quarterbacks have 14 wins combined.  5 of his 6 losses came against them, and two of his wins (both against peyton).

I don't know if that's an argument that helps or hurts him, but he played against some very tough contemporaries. Maybe he doesn't belong in the hall because he wasn't top 3 in his own conference.  Maybe he does because he played really well but happened to be in a dominant era for afc qbs.

But before you rush to judgment on rivers - the most winning nfc qbs in that same timeframe are Rodgers (9 nfc wins), brees (8) and eli (6). Maybe rivers was just in the same conference as some dominant teams.  

But it’s a team sport, so you can’t hang wins and losses on one guy, when you have a whole team, coaching staff and front office that play a huge role in the product on the field.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rove! said:

But it’s a team sport, so you can’t hang wins and losses on one guy, when you have a whole team, coaching staff and front office that play a huge role in the product on the field.

Exactly. 

Anyone dogging Rivers after today's game is out of their mind.  His defense literally allowed a TD on five straight drives to start the game, and Belichick and his staff made the Chargers coaches look like utter fools today. Good luck finding any QB who can overcome that.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Milkman said:

The Chargers are 118-90 in the regular season since Rivers took over. 5-6 in the playoffs losing several games they were favored in

Regarding the bolded, the Chargers were only actually favored in 3 of the 11 playoff games they have played during Rivers' career. They lost 2 of those 3:

2006 postseason - lost at home to NE, 24-21

  • The Chargers led 21-13 with 6:25 remaining, when Brady was intercepted on 4th and 5, then the defender fumbled the ball back to NE, giving them a 9 yard gain and a 1st down. NE went on to score a TD and get a 2 point conversion on that drive to tie the game.
    • Had the defender not fumbled the ball or, even better, had the presence of mind not to catch it at all, but just bat it down, it is very unlikely NE would have been able to rally to win the game.
    • But the defense still could have stopped NE from scoring a TD.
  • The Chargers punted back to NE with 3:30 remaining. The Chargers then allowed NE to drive 72 yards before kicking a go ahead FG, highlighted by a 49 yard pass to Reche Caldwell.
    • Again, the defense was at fault here.
  • The Chargers got the ball back down by a FG with 1:05 remaining and no timeouts. Rivers drove them 39 yards to the NE 36 with 8 seconds remaining. He was 3/5 on the drive, but both incompletions were spikes to stop the clock. Without a timeout, the coaching staff chose not to run another play and instead attempt a 54 yard FG on 2nd down. Kaeding missed the FG.
    • Kaeding missed the FG, not Rivers. 

2009 postseason - lost at home to NYJ, 17-14

  • Kaeding was 0/3 on FGs, including misses from 36, 40, and 57 (at end of first half) yards. He was 1st team All Pro that season, having gone 32/35 on FGs in the regular season.

Rivers didn't play well in either of those games, but that really wasn't that surprising. In 2006, NE was #2 in points allowed and #6 in yards allowed, and, of course, they were coached by defensive mastermind Belichick; in 2009, the Jets were #1 in both points allowed and yards allowed. Rivers certainly was not solely or even primarily the reason they lost those games.

This also means he is 4-4 in postseason games the Chargers were expected to lose. That is pretty good.

Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Milkman said:

I know the title of this thread calls him terrible but I've never claimed that. He's just not elite. 

Time will tell if he's a HOF. I don't think he should be but I don't think Eli is either.......Teams don't really fear him and he's had some great teams around that he didn't win a SB with......

The only reason Eli may make it is beating Brady twice in Super Bowls. 

What could get Rivers there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

The only reason Eli may make it is beating Brady twice in Super Bowls. 

What could get Rivers there?

8th in career passing yards and I believe QB rating.  6th all time in TD passes.

Don't need to win a SB or even make one. Plenty of QB's are in the HOF because they were really good for a long time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What QB is beating Tom Brady at his place in the playoffs, yep...none of them.

Rivers is a great QB, one of the top 20 in history. Stat wise in the top 10.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it is utter stupidity to argue he is not a HOF caliber QB. Simply dumb. 

And yesterday.....he had pressure on him all day. It was ridiculous. Brady I think had one grass stain on his ###. One. 

The Patriots OL was the MVP yesterday. They simply dominated the game whistle to whistle. It was incredible to watch. Literally every play the Chargers were pushed back 5 yards on the snap....almost all day. 

Rivers can’t overcome that.

And then when on offense, there was a Patriot in Rivers mug less than 2.5 seconds from the snap....literally all day, until they started letting up to run clock and allowing the Chargers to move the ball when the game was already out of hand. This game was not on Rivers. This game was on the OL and DL of the Chargers who were man-handled the entire day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

2006 postseason - lost at home to NE, 24-21

  • The Chargers led 21-13 with 6:25 remaining, when Brady was intercepted on 4th and 5, then the defender fumbled the ball back to NE, giving them a 9 yard gain and a 1st down. NE went on to score a TD and get a 2 point conversion on that drive to tie the game.
    • Had the defender not fumbled the ball or, even better, had the presence of mind not to catch it at all, but just bat it down, it is very unlikely NE would not have been able to rally to win the game.
    • But the defense still could have stopped NE from scoring a TD.
  • The Chargers punted back to NE with 3:30 remaining; the Chargers allowed NE to drive 72 yards before kicking a go ahead FG, highlighted by a 49 yard pass to Reche Caldwell.
    • Again, the defense was at fault here.
  • The Chargers got the ball back down by a FG with 1:05 remaining and no timeouts. Rivers drove them 39 yards to the NE 36 with 8 seconds remaining. He was 3/5 on the drive, but both incompletions were spikes to stop the clock. Without a timeout, the coaching staff chose not to run another play and instead attempt a 54 yard FG on 2nd down. Kaeding missed the FG.
    • Kaeding missed the FG, not Rivers. 

Ah, this is the game I referenced earlier. Nice breakdown. Such a painful game to watch. I had LT that year and had gotten used to rooting for the Chargers, so I was pretty bummed but can only imagine how people from SD felt. I think AJ Smith fired Marty after that game as if it was his fault they lost. Sometimes I wonder how much better things would have gone for the Chargers if they had fired Smith instead of Marty. Did anybody in SD like Smith back then? I remember thinking he was garbage then and that Norv was a step down from Marty, but never knew how the locals felt about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Todem said:

Yeah it is utter stupidity to argue he is not a HOF caliber QB. Simply dumb. 

And yesterday.....he had pressure on him all day. It was ridiculous. Brady I think had one grass stain on his ###. One. 

The Patriots OL was the MVP yesterday. They simply dominated the game whistle to whistle. It was incredible to watch. Literally every play the Chargers were pushed back 5 yards on the snap....almost all day. 

Rivers can’t overcome that.

And then when on offense, there was a Patriot in Rivers mug less than 2.5 seconds from the snap....literally all day, until they started letting up to run clock and allowing the Chargers to move the ball when the game was already out of hand. This game was not on Rivers. This game was on the OL and DL of the Chargers who were man-handled the entire day.

Maybe we need a Hall of Very Good.

Putting Rivers in the HOF with 1-3 years of Brady is an insult to Brady.

Even if you don't put any of the seven losses v. Brady on Rivers, you would think a HOF caliber QB would beat Brady at least once.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Of the remaining qbs, rvers has won 5, which is more than any other afc qb in that time.

Mark Sanchez is right behind him with 4. :pickle:- including a win over Rivers (and Manning and Brady).

Edited by Dr. Octopus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a good article on keeping Passer ratings in preservative.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kirk-cousins-is-not-better-than-joe-montana-so-lets-fix-passer-rating/

It's some fuzzy math, but puts Rivers 18th all time in passer rating.  Just ahead of Chad Pennington and 9 slots behind Tony Romo. 

Just something to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love seeing people argue his stats. You guys arguing his stats aware of the era he is & has been playing in? 

To put it in perspective, Joe Montana, who can be argued as the greatest QB ever (although, even being an SF fan, I'd prob concede it is TB)  never threw for 4k yards or over 30 TDs in a season. Do you think that is because Rivers is better than Joe Montana? 

Guy is just a stat machine, bolstered by the era he plays in. A guy like Dan Marino put his stats up in a different era, that's why his stats are so special. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

The only reason Eli may make it is beating Brady twice in Super Bowls. 

What could get Rivers there?

His stats. I don't see how anyone can argue he is not a HOFer based on those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Here is a good article on keeping Passer ratings in preservative.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kirk-cousins-is-not-better-than-joe-montana-so-lets-fix-passer-rating/

It's some fuzzy math, but puts Rivers 18th all time in passer rating.  Just ahead of Chad Pennington and 9 slots behind Tony Romo. 

Just something to think about.

Adjusted net yards per pass attempt gives a bonus for throwing touchdown passes while penalizing for sacks and interceptions, making it very good at telling you the amount of value provided (or not provided) by a passer in a given game, season, or career.

Rivers is #6 all time.

Unfortunately, there is no statistic that can adequately adjust for quality of supporting cast, coaching, front office, and ownership. Rivers has generally suffered relative to his HOF caliber contemporaries in those areas, which makes what he has accomplished much more impressive IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

Adjusted net yards per pass attempt gives a bonus for throwing touchdown passes while penalizing for sacks and interceptions, making it very good at telling you the amount of value provided (or not provided) by a passer in a given game, season, or career.

Rivers is #6 all time.

Unfortunately, there is no statistic that can adequately adjust for quality of supporting cast, coaching, front office, and ownership. Rivers has generally suffered relative to his HOF caliber contemporaries in those areas, which makes what he has accomplished much more impressive IMO.

I'll give you maybe the coaching, front office, and ownership piece.  I don't think his surrounding talent was that much worse than his peer level.  Rivers played with a couple of the league leaders in TDs.

The adjusted yards per pass attempt is a good metric, but there has to be more.  Again Tony Romo beats him out in that and no one thinks Tony should be HOF bound. 

I'm not one who believes in longevity being a major factor though.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Maybe we need a Hall of Very Good.

Putting Rivers in the HOF with 1-3 years of Brady is an insult to Brady.

Even if you don't put any of the seven losses v. Brady on Rivers, you would think a HOF caliber QB would beat Brady at least once.  

Seriously? It is a team game. This is not Rivers vs Brady. This is The Chargers vs The Patriots. 

The entire premise of Super Bowl Rings defining HOF players is a joke. It is about your career and your production. Not about winning titles. Titles are team accomplishments.....in the big picture.

The baseball HOF would be 75% less if they used World Series rings as a measure if you are HOF caliber.

Think about what you are saying. I can even say with almost complete certainty that if you had swapped Marino and Montana.....Marino would have 4-5 rings....easy. 

It is a team game. Rivers has had some very good teams. The reason they have not been Super Bowl Caliber has very little to do with Phillip Rivers. 

If you think it is on him...that is your opinion. But he will be in the HOF. I very have little doubt about that. Same for Mtt Ryan if he keeps on this current career track as well. His OC costed him a ring two years ago. Otherwise......he beats Brady....oh wait that was his team. His defense laid a total egg in the second half and they never ran the ball when they were running at will. But that is on Ryan....he sucks. He could not beat Brady. 

I guess Dan Fouts does not deserve to be in the HOF based on this line of thinking too. He could not beat freaking David Woodley one year....he must suck. Could not beat Ken Anderson.....this guy sucks.

 

Edited by Todem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I love seeing people argue his stats. You guys arguing his stats aware of the era he is & has been playing in? 

To put it in perspective, Joe Montana, who can be argued as the greatest QB ever (although, even being an SF fan, I'd prob concede it is TB)  never threw for 4k yards or over 30 TDs in a season. Do you think that is because Rivers is better than Joe Montana? 

Guy is just a stat machine, bolstered by the era he plays in. A guy like Dan Marino put his stats up in a different era, that's why his stats are so special. 

I disagree. Rivers is a heck of QB. I would have loved to had him in Miami. Big time. Guy is a fierce competitor and a damn good leader. I disagree whole heartedly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Todem said:

I disagree. Rivers is a heck of QB. I would have loved to had him in Miami. Big time. Guy is a fierce competitor and a damn good leader. I disagree whole heartedly. 

Yes, I agree, he is a heck of a QB. The comment above by @BassNBrew was excellent. 

If it was the Hall of Very Good, I'd have him in, HOF, I'd pass. He is a borderline guy, whichever way it goes, I won't be surprised. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is his case for the HOF, and it is a strong one.

Other older posts that provide different perspectives here, here, and here.

I think Rivers makes it if he never plays another game. But that probably won't matter, since I think he will play 2-3 more seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I love seeing people argue his stats. You guys arguing his stats aware of the era he is & has been playing in? 

To put it in perspective, Joe Montana, who can be argued as the greatest QB ever (although, even being an SF fan, I'd prob concede it is TB)  never threw for 4k yards or over 30 TDs in a season. Do you think that is because Rivers is better than Joe Montana? 

Guy is just a stat machine, bolstered by the era he plays in. A guy like Dan Marino put his stats up in a different era, that's why his stats are so special. 

I agree, comparing his stats to QBs from other eras would be silly. It is a different game. However, when comparing his stats to QBs of his own generation, its hard to not argue for his stats...

Since 2006 (the year he became starter):

  • 3rd in TDs (behind Brees and Brady)
  • 2nd in passing yards (behind Brees)
  • 4th in wins (behind Brady, Brees, and Ben)
  • 95.7 QB Rating
  • 4th in pards per attempt (if you ignore 1 season of Mahomes, 2 seasons of Watson, and 1 season of Garropollo) behind Romo, Wilson, and Rogers

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Todem said:

Seriously? It is a team game. This is not Rivers vs Brady. This is The Chargers vs The Patriots. 

The entire premise of Super Bowl Rings defining HOF players is a joke. It is about your career and your production. Not about winning titles. Titles are team accomplishments.....in the big picture.

The baseball HOF would be 75% less if they used World Series rings as a measure if you are HOF caliber.

Think about what you are saying. I can even say with almost complete certainty that if you had swapped Marino and Montana.....Marino would have 4-5 rings....easy. 

It is a team game. Rivers has had some very good teams. The reason they have not been Super Bowl Caliber has very little to do with Phillip Rivers. 

If you think it is on him...that is your opinion. But he will be in the HOF. I very have little doubt about that. Same for Mtt Ryan if he keeps on this current career track as well. His OC costed him a ring two years ago. Otherwise......he beats Brady....oh wait that was his team. His defense laid a total egg in the second half and they never ran the ball when they were running at will. But that is on Ryan....he sucks. He could not beat Brady. 

I guess Dan Fouts does not deserve to be in the HOF based on this line of thinking too. He could not beat freaking David Woodley one year....he must suck. Could not beat Ken Anderson.....this guy sucks.

 

Matt Ryan?   What?   The same Matt Ryan who threw the ball away, out of the back of the end zone, on 4th and goal with almost no tim left and his team trailing by 7 (earlier this year)?   I mean, comparing him to Matt Ryan is not the direction I would go to sway people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Todem said:

Yeah it is utter stupidity to argue he is not a HOF caliber QB. Simply dumb. 

And yesterday.....he had pressure on him all day. It was ridiculous. Brady I think had one grass stain on his ###. One. 

The Patriots OL was the MVP yesterday. They simply dominated the game whistle to whistle. It was incredible to watch. Literally every play the Chargers were pushed back 5 yards on the snap....almost all day. 

Rivers can’t overcome that.

And then when on offense, there was a Patriot in Rivers mug less than 2.5 seconds from the snap....literally all day, until they started letting up to run clock and allowing the Chargers to move the ball when the game was already out of hand. This game was not on Rivers. This game was on the OL and DL of the Chargers who were man-handled the entire day.

Rivers had pressure on him all day? He wasn't very good at getting away from that pressure and making plays was he?

Hmmmmmm........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Philip Rivers completed 31-of-46 passes for 318 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Chargers' 27-20, Week 3 loss against the Texans.

Rivers consistently found Keenan Allen and Austin Ekeler underneath throughout the game. Allen in particular was virtually impossible to cover, including when he and Rivers hooked up for a clutch 4th-and-13 conversion on their final drive. Unfortunately, Travis Benjamin dropped a beautiful deep ball that would’ve been a touchdown on the very next play. Rivers’ non-existent rushing floor doesn’t help his weekly fantasy floor, but he’s still as accurate and in control as ever. The good news for the entire Chargers’ passing game is a brilliant get-right spot in Week 4 against the Dolphins.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:03 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Philip Rivers completed 26-of-44 passes for 320 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions in the Chargers' 24-17, Week 6 loss to the Steelers.

Rivers missed Melvin Gordon on a backwards pass early in the first quarter, leading to a scoop-and-score from Steelers LB Devin Bush. It was that kind of evening. The Chargers’ longtime franchise QB was under constant duress for most of the contest, while the ground game converted 14 carries into just 32 scoreless yards. Rivers was far from great, although neither of his interceptions were egregious in nature, and he did give Mike Williams and Travis Benjamin catchable opportunities on a deep ball and end zone target, respectively, that were ultimately incomplete. The Chargers haven't scored more than 20 points against anyone other than the Dolphins since Week 1.

 

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

I don't think they make the playoffs this year. 

That o line is terrible.   Rivers doesnt stand a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

That o line is terrible.   Rivers doesnt stand a chance. 

Yeah.  He’s such a special QB that he just KNOWS throwing it up straight in the air 20+ yards is the smart play.  In the 1st half.   Repeatedly.

Supposedly HOF-bound Phil Rivers was abysmal last night......and though his o-line deserves a lot of blame, his terrible decisions killed any chance the team had of winning versus a guy who doesn’t belong as even a backup in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Yeah.  He’s such a special QB that he just KNOWS throwing it up straight in the air 20+ yards is the smart play.  In the 1st half.   Repeatedly.

Supposedly HOF-bound Phil Rivers was abysmal last night......and though his o-line deserves a lot of blame, his terrible decisions killed any chance the team had of winning versus a guy who doesn’t belong as even a backup in the league.

Rivers has looked great over the years.   He certainly doesn't now but the o line does him no favors.   Their is no running game now.   He has no time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year's Chargers have a lot of issues. Rivers hasn't been great, but he is not close to the top of the list of issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

This year's Chargers have a lot of issues. Rivers hasn't been great, but he is not close to the top of the list of issues.

whatever....he is a freakin statue back there and his decision making sucks.... him ben and eli should all hang em up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Just Win Baby said:

This year's Chargers have a lot of issues. Rivers hasn't been great, but he is not close to the top of the list of issues.

His strategy of throwing the ball straight up yesterday was impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rivers had a great run and is on the downside for sure, but what can they do?

There are so few athletes in the world that can play NFL QB at an elite level, certainly only a couple dozen who can play the position at a passable level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Philip Rivers completed 21-of-28 passes for 294 scoreless, turnover-free yards in the Chargers' 26-11, Week 9 win over the Packers.

Rivers averaged well over 10.0 yards per attempt, but the Chargers were all the way established on the ground as they sprung the home upset. It will still Rivers' crispest performance since Week 4 against the Dolphins. Working a deep connection with Mike Williams, he relentlessly targeted Hunter Henry in the intermediate area of the field. Rivers has a juicy short-week Thursday matchup with the Raiders, but with just 12 scores through nine starts, he won't be the most thrilling QB1 streamer. It could be necessary in a week with six quarterbacks on bye, however.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:25 PM ET

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Philip Rivers completed 17-of-31 passes for 207 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions in the Chargers' 26-24, Week 10 loss to the Raiders.

Rivers lost LT Russell Okung to a groin injury on the opening drive and was under siege for the entirety of the game's 60 minutes. He responded by trying to set the interceptions record. Rivers was extremely fortunate to escape with "just" three picks, having two undone by penalty and countless more either dropped or narrowly missed. It was a "gutsy" performance but also a reckless one. Rivers looked like he had no clue what he was doing on the Bolts' futile final drive, simply blinding heaving the ball up into the air one play after another. It was finally picked for a game-sealing play with 0:16 remaining by Karl Joseph. Throughout the night, Rivers seemed like he was playing pitch and catch with Raiders FS Erik Harris. The 37-year-old quarterback has 11 days to regroup for a Monday night date with the Chiefs.

Nov 7, 2019, 11:36 PM ET

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much respect to Rivers, he's a truly talented QB and has nothing to prove to anyone.

But nothing I like seeing more than sad/angry Rivers.

Was clear his o-line is a sieve, but he looked really shaky and indecisive under pressure. He was never a mobile QB, but he looked a little rattled even when the pocket was collapsing, which I am not used to seeing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Much respect to Rivers, he's a truly talented QB and has nothing to prove to anyone.

But nothing I like seeing more than sad/angry Rivers.

Was clear his o-line is a sieve, but he looked really shaky and indecisive under pressure. He was never a mobile QB, but he looked a little rattled even when the pocket was collapsing, which I am not used to seeing.

Doesn’t he usually save these type of games for KC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Much respect to Rivers, he's a truly talented QB and has nothing to prove to anyone.

But nothing I like seeing more than sad/angry Rivers.

Was clear his o-line is a sieve, but he looked really shaky and indecisive under pressure. He was never a mobile QB, but he looked a little rattled even when the pocket was collapsing, which I am not used to seeing.

He looked terrible.  Absolutely awful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second time this season I’ve seen Rivers get behind and just start heaving up deep balls on a wing and a prayer.

I don’t recall this being his usual MO.  Typically more cerebral and willing to dice up a defense to march downfield.  (He used to throw up prayers at Malcolm Floyd but they seemed calculated as part of a solid game plan. )

Seems like, from this observer, Rivers is just “mailing it in” in 2019.

Edited by Arodin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was a tough game to watch.  OL was dreadful, but the running game was very effective, averaging 4.9 per carry.  With Rivers under pressure all game, they should've run it alot more, and threw more quick passes.  Every time Rivers held the ball for more than 2 seconds, bad things happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.