What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philip Rivers Thread (3 Viewers)

It didn't help Rivers case that we got to see Mahomes effortlessly drop a perfect TD pass into Kelce's hands before his awful lolipop INT.  He's becoming more of the problem than the solution.  Time to call it a career and slip into backup/mentor role.  
he is not under contract for 2020....he very well might just slide out of the league

i have been waiting for that one charger fan to come in here and defend him
there really is no defense.....justwinbaby will probably.....

phil wont move his family....to say tennessee or chicago....its chargers or no one....hell he still lives in la jolla and drives to carson for practice/games

Last edited by a moderator:
I am his biggest fan in this forum, and I can't defend his performance in recent weeks.

There are a lot of contributing factors, most notably terrible pass blocking and poor offensive game plans and playcalling, but he should clearly be better than he has been. I think the poor pass protection has gotten into his head and affected his decision-making. I'm not sure how else to explain the dropoff from just last season, which was one of the best in his career.

I don't see him playing for another franchise. He has been quoted as saying he wants to keep playing for the Chargers, and GM Telesco has been quoted as saying he will be back. But the way this season is going, I could see one or both of them changing their minds. 

As for the HOF, he will make it, and deservedly so.

This is the end of Rivers.  The decision making is horrible and not fun to watch.   
was literally only coming here to say that I do not enjoy watching him play. Regardless of the numbers, or how much he peppers my players (Ekeler, Keenan Allen) with targets, I feel annoyed by all of the bad throws, bad decisions, and the complete lack of any rhythm to the way the offense runs. Glad I'm not the only one. 

As for the HOF, he will make it, and deservedly so.
Disagree 100% that he should be in the HOF.  No way.  Rivers for many years was a good NFL QB, but never an elite one.  He has never been to the Super Bowl.  Only thing he has going is longevity so his stats look great.   When it comes to winning when it matters, Rivers has fallen way short.

Here is a list of the 26 QBs from the modern era that are in the HOF:

Troy Aikman, George Blanda, Terry Bradshaw, Len Dawson, John Elway, Brett Favre, Dan Fouts, Otto Graham, Bob Griese, Sonny Jurgensen, Jim Kelly, Bobby Layne, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Warren Moon, Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Y.A. Tittle, Johnny Unitas, Norm Van Brocklin, Kurt Warner, Bob Waterfield, and Steve Young.

That's one heck of list of great QBs!

Peyton Manning will be a 1st ballot HOF in 2021.

Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Ben Roethlisberger will be 1st ballot HOF 5 years after each retires.

Do you think Rivers belongs in this group?  I cant' see it. 

BTW, I also can't see Eli Manning getting in, but he will...... Eli is one of 12 QBs that have won the Super Bowl 2 or more times.  All are in the HOF (or will be in the HOF in the future) except Jim Plunkett.

Disagree 100% that he should be in the HOF.  No way.  Rivers for many years was a good NFL QB, but never an elite one.  He has never been to the Super Bowl.  Only thing he has going is longevity so his stats look great.   When it comes to winning when it matters, Rivers has fallen way short.

Here is a list of the 26 QBs from the modern era that are in the HOF:

Troy Aikman, George Blanda, Terry Bradshaw, Len Dawson, John Elway, Brett Favre, Dan Fouts, Otto Graham, Bob Griese, Sonny Jurgensen, Jim Kelly, Bobby Layne, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Warren Moon, Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Y.A. Tittle, Johnny Unitas, Norm Van Brocklin, Kurt Warner, Bob Waterfield, and Steve Young.

That's one heck of list of great QBs!

Peyton Manning will be a 1st ballot HOF in 2021.

Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Ben Roethlisberger will be 1st ballot HOF 5 years after each retires.

Do you think Rivers belongs in this group?  I cant' see it. 

BTW, I also can't see Eli Manning getting in, but he will...... Eli is one of 12 QBs that have won the Super Bowl 2 or more times.  All are in the HOF (or will be in the HOF in the future) except Jim Plunkett.
Yes, I do believe he should and will make it.

Rivers was elite from 2008-2010. Ironically in light of your argument that his stats only look great because of longevity, average fans and media members don't look at the right data to realize that.

Your argument that Rivers' numbers are great simply because of longevity is undermined by the fact that he is top 10 all-time in important rate statistics, like completion percentage, YPA, and passer rating.

I realize you and a lot of people disagree, and I'm fine with that.

The guy has won what, 5 or something playoff games? Won two playoff games in the same season... once I think - and that was about the time the freakin I-phone was invented ?

And people talk as if he’s HoF material? He’s a compiler that shows no clutchness nor ability to rise to the occasion when it really matters. 

Plus, the whole histrionics while being a good boy not cursing is kinda annoying.  Won’t miss him when he’s done. 
Yeah, losing record in playoff games, 56.0% completion rate in the postseason, 77.1 passer rating.

Oh wait, that's Dan Marino. Rivers is better in every stat in the postseason.

Yeah, losing record in playoff games, 56.0% completion rate in the postseason, 77.1 passer rating.

Oh wait, that's Dan Marino. Rivers is better in every stat in the postseason.
Well, Marino did get to a Super Bowl.

And was that much more impressive when contextually viewed through his peers and era, than Rivers.  Rivers is a nice QB with great regular season numbers who won more than a single post season game only once, during a season.

BTW, who has Rivers had at RB? Because I couldn't tell you once of Marino's off hand, as they were known to be some of the worst RB cores out there. Rivers has no such excuse. He's had some great ones.

8, 2, 5, 2, 8, 5, 17, 6, 1, 8, 5, 15, 9 - his league rank in terms of passing yards from last year clear back to 2006.  Never missed a game in that time.  That's 11 out of 13 years being top 9 in passing yards, and currently #2 this year.  Not bad. 

BTW, who has Rivers had at RB? Because I couldn't tell you once of Marino's off hand, as they were known to be some of the worst RB cores out there. Rivers has no such excuse. He's had some great ones.
I agree Marino > Rivers. But if you want to play this comparison game, let's compare these things for Rivers vs. other HOF or prospective HOF QBs:

• Ownership
  • Head coach
  • Offensive line
Rivers has had the worst combination of those things of any QB in league history who got (or will get) serious HOF consideration. IMO those things are much more important than the RB position.

It still cracks me up this thread has gone from "Rivers *****" to "Rivers may not be a HOF'er". If he stands in the pocket another season or two it'll turn into "Well ok, Rivers doesn't **** but he won't be a first ballot HOF'er!". And someone will be taking a victory lap. People trying to point out how good this take must be part of that first generation that got trophies just for participating. They can't possibly lose or be wrong. Ever. This is one of my favorite threads in the SP and it's absolutely worth going back to the first page as a reminder of all the people that were on the LHUCKS band-wagon early on. 

The thread should be changed to "Philip rivers is old.". Might be time to stay home and help out with his 47 kids.

8, 2, 5, 2, 8, 5, 17, 6, 1, 8, 5, 15, 9 - his league rank in terms of passing yards from last year clear back to 2006.  Never missed a game in that time.  That's 11 out of 13 years being top 9 in passing yards, and currently #2 this year.  Not bad. 
He currently number 2 in interceptions and closing the gap on Winston 

In 10 of those 13 years, he averaged less than one INT per game, even being top 10 in yardage for 11 of those 13, and top 5 in 6 of them.  Peyton Manning only averaged less than 1 a game in 11 of his 17 year career.  So I'm not sure that his INT numbers should dissuade you from believing he's an HOFer.  Maybe his playoff record, but that's a different question.

You guys going to be touting Stafford for the HoF too?  Rivers has been a very good QB, but I don't think he's HoF level.
Consider:

• Completion percentage: Rivers 64.5% (#11 all time), Stafford 62.5% (#23 all time)
  • TD percentage: Rivers 5.2% (tied for #32 all time), Stafford 4.5% (tied for #71 all time)
  • Interception percentage: Stafford 2.4% (tied for #19 all time), Rivers 2.6% (tied for #29 all time)
  • YPA: Rivers 7.8 (tied for #9 all time), Stafford 7.2 (tied for #56 all time)
  • Passer rating: Rivers 95.0 (tied for #10 all time), Stafford 89.3 (#22 all time)
  • Sack percentage: Rivers 5.5%, Stafford 5.7% (PFR does not have career rankings) 
Hard to say what Stafford's ultimate HOF case will look like since he is currently 31 years old. But statistically he doesn't come particularly close to measuring up to Rivers so far.

Consider:

• Completion percentage: Rivers 64.5% (#11 all time), Stafford 62.5% (#23 all time)
  • TD percentage: Rivers 5.2% (tied for #32 all time), Stafford 4.5% (tied for #71 all time)
  • Interception percentage: Stafford 2.4% (tied for #19 all time), Rivers 2.6% (tied for #29 all time)
  • YPA: Rivers 7.8 (tied for #9 all time), Stafford 7.2 (tied for #56 all time)
  • Passer rating: Rivers 95.0 (tied for #10 all time), Stafford 89.3 (#22 all time)
  • Sack percentage: Rivers 5.5%, Stafford 5.7% (PFR does not have career rankings) 
Hard to say what Stafford's ultimate HOF case will look like since he is currently 31 years old. But statistically he doesn't come particularly close to measuring up to Rivers so far.
What about average yards which will be a much bigger factor in HoF voting?  I think Stafford is sitting at 3800 per year and Rivers at 3600, excluding this year.  They appear to be the same type of QB though, ones that pile up impressive stats but don't finish where it counts.

What about average yards which will be a much bigger factor in HoF voting?  I think Stafford is sitting at 3800 per year and Rivers at 3600, excluding this year.  They appear to be the same type of QB though, ones that pile up impressive stats but don't finish where it counts.
And Stafford has had a worse team around him most years as well

Rivers is aging and playing poorly it seems given the INT level, however, there are so few people on the planet who can even play at the level he's playing at now, much less play better.

Average yards per season is a compiling stat that is a function of passing attempts. I agree that compiling stats are impressive for both guys, though Stafford still has a ways to go. Everything I listed is a rate statistic showing that Rivers has delivered much better quality play. 

You guys going to be touting Stafford for the HoF too?  Rivers has been a very good QB, but I don't think he's HoF level.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Stafford ultimately ends up in the HOF if he plays effectively as long as the Brady/Brees types. History on this board has taught me that the mouth breathers on this board won't comprehend that last statement so let me re-pack it for a second time. Both Brady/Brees will be in the HOF. There is a good chance Stafford makes the HOF if he stays healthy and effective. I have NOT just stated that Stafford is a better QB and had a more successful career than Brady and Brees..... but hey dummies, have at it trying to disprove a statement that I never made.

IMO both Rivers and Stafford are kind of in the same boat. Have played the majority of their career for two of the worst run franchises in pro-sports. I think either one of them could have had very good post season success if they would have even had slightly above average teams/organizations around them.

I was laughed out of another thread for saying that Stafford could break the all-time yardage record.... yet you didn't hear too many people willing to eat crow when Stafford was the fastest(youngest) player to reach 40,000 yards earlier this season. People act like that was some kind of wild opinion. That's just simple fact. 

In 10 games Winston has thrown 18 INT's.

In 11 games Rivers has thrown 14 INT's.

Unless Winston misses games(either through injury or through off field conduct AGAIN) it seems unlikely to me Rivers passes Winston in terms of INT's. But I also have no interest in some silly North Carolina vs South Carolina rivalry axe to grind year after year either.

I don't think Rivers has a chance to make it into the Hall of Fame.  You need to be great to make it in, not just good for a really long time.   When I look at the list of quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame, he isn't in that league.  There are currently 26 modern era quarterbacks in the Hall (the oldest quarterback considered modern era entered the league in 1945).  Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, and Manning (the good one) will all make it in.  They would really be opening the floodgates if they considered Stafford, Rivers, and Ryan.  None of those 3 even have a Super Bowl win. Ben Roethlisberger should be the one on the fence but will make it in because of his two Super Bowl wins.  We live in an era of inflated passing numbers.  Rivers will be compared to his peers and he was never close to being in the same category as Brees, Brady, or Manning.

I don't think Rivers has a chance to make it into the Hall of Fame.  You need to be great to make it in, not just good for a really long time.   When I look at the list of quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame, he isn't in that league.  There are currently 26 modern era quarterbacks in the Hall (the oldest quarterback considered modern era entered the league in 1945).  Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, and Manning (the good one) will all make it in.  They would really be opening the floodgates if they considered Stafford, Rivers, and Ryan.  None of those 3 even have a Super Bowl win. Ben Roethlisberger should be the one on the fence but will make it in because of his two Super Bowl wins.  We live in an era of inflated passing numbers.  Rivers will be compared to his peers and he was never close to being in the same category as Brees, Brady, or Manning.
Great post.   When I think of HOF QBs, I think of greatness.   Rivers was a really good QB for a few years but was never great.   

Foosball God said:
First off, is this true?  Secondly, Rivers has had more yards than Stafford each of the past 5 seasons.  And will again this year.  Actually the only years in which Stafford had more yards were 2011, 2012, and 2013....when Stafford had one particular WR getting ~1,700, ~2k, and ~1,500 yards alone. 

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Philip Rivers is in danger of being benched.

Rivers limped into the Chargers' bye, throwing a combined seven interceptions in losses to Oakland and Kansas City. While there's been plenty of blame to go around in L.A., Rivers' penchant for costly turnovers certainly hasn't helped the Chargers' cause. Despite Rivers' status as a franchise icon, coach Anthony Lynn won't hesitate to pull the plug on L.A.'s long-time starter if his struggles continue. The Chargers have a capable backup in Tyrod Taylor, who offers starting experience from previous stints in Buffalo and Cleveland.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Dec 1, 2019, 9:23 AM ET

If LAC benches Rivers for suckage, Tyrod Taylor is not the future QB.  And if they do bench him, is there really any going back?  QB's don't get better by watching from the sidelines, not at 37 years old.  If he plays like a turd vs DEN today, would coach Lynn bench him next week on his 38th birthday?

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Philip Rivers is in danger of being benched.

Rivers limped into the Chargers' bye, throwing a combined seven interceptions in losses to Oakland and Kansas City. While there's been plenty of blame to go around in L.A., Rivers' penchant for costly turnovers certainly hasn't helped the Chargers' cause. Despite Rivers' status as a franchise icon, coach Anthony Lynn won't hesitate to pull the plug on L.A.'s long-time starter if his struggles continue. The Chargers have a capable backup in Tyrod Taylor, who offers starting experience from previous stints in Buffalo and Cleveland.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Dec 1, 2019, 9:23 AM ET

If LAC benches Rivers for suckage, Tyrod Taylor is not the future QB.  And if they do bench him, is there really any going back?  QB's don't get better by watching from the sidelines, not at 37 years old.  If he plays like a turd vs DEN today, would coach Lynn bench him next week on his 38th birthday?
I find this hard to believe. Rivers would have to seriously suck it up and it would end his career basically. He's not at "Eli" bad yet.

This would surely kill my K. Allen value. May increase Ekeler.

I find this hard to believe. Rivers would have to seriously suck it up and it would end his career basically. He's not at "Eli" bad yet.

This would surely kill my K. Allen value. May increase Ekeler.
It could also hurt Ekeler, as Tyrod is a runner.  But on the bright side for Ekeler, Tyrod doesn't force things, and that could lead to lots of dump offs.

Tyrod at QB kills the whole offense. Holds the ball way too long and this OL is not that good.
Tyrod kills the passing game.  They might lean on the running game more.  I think Melvin could have a big rise in output.

It would be ugly for Keenan, Williams and Henry.   Tyron would rack up scrambling yards running for his life due to that o line.  
Tyrod is worth a pickup in 2-qb leagues.  He was often a top 10 fantasy quarterback while in Buffalo solely due to his legs.

Philip Rivers completed 20-of-29 passes for 265 yards, two touchdowns and one interception in the Chargers' 23-20, Week 13 loss to the Broncos.

Rivers threw a horrendous interception to DT Dre’Mont Jones in the first quarter that resulted in Tyrod Taylor briefly warming up. The veteran QB did recover well enough, finding Austin Ekeler and Keenan Allen for 30-plus yard touchdowns thanks in large part to blown coverage. It’s been a rough year for Rivers and the Chargers, but he continues to rack up pass attempts with the offense often in comeback mode. Rivers is a low-end QB2 for next week's matchup against the Jaguars.

Dec 1, 2019, 7:46 PM ET

Philip Rivers completed 16-of-22 passes for 314 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Chargers' 45-10, Week 14 win over the Jaguars.

Rivers only played three quarters before being relieved by Tyrod Taylor. The long-time Chargers’ franchise QB had his best game of the season, hooking up with Hunter Henry, Mike Williams and Austin Ekeler for touchdowns. The Ekeler score was simply a screen that wound up going 84 yards to the house, but Rivers deserves plenty of credit for his strikes to Williams and Henry. His day could've been even bigger if rookie Jalen Guyton didn't drop a potential 50-plus yard touchdown. Rivers has certainly had his lows this season, but this Chargers offense is still capable of putting up points with their talented group of skill-position players against the league’s more middling defenses. Fire up Rivers as an upside QB2 at home in Week 15 against the Vikings.

Dec 8, 2019, 7:15 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread