What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Philip Rivers, RET (4 Viewers)

Whatever you want, dude. Would be great if you tried to add something to the discussion. 
Seriously.....have you not read my posts....?.....I gave specific observations about how I think his game has gone downhill...why it’s a little confusing they let him walk, comparing IND/LAC, who I would rather have, how many other QB’s I would rather have, etc..... what is it exactly that you want me to say.....let me guess....something that agrees with you....

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't waste your time trying to reason with JWB.  He can't handle someone disagreeing with him.  He twists things to make you out to be the bad guy.  He also can't accept the writing on the wall.  Just visit for the entertainment.  You'll be glad you did.

Does anyone really think a QB can make it to #6 all time in both yardage and TD's and be terrible?  Or have a higher career completion percentage than guys like Brady, Rodgers, or Wilson?  The fact is, Rivers is far from terrible.  The question is, has he lost enough as he's aged to become terrible?  Let's see...

- His career completion % is 64.7.  He topped that in both 2018 and 2019.  Since he turned 32, his percentage is 65.6%
- Since he turned 32, his lowest yearly yardage in 7 seasons is 4286.  The only other QB to throw for 4K each of the last 7 seasons is Ryan, and his low is 4095.
- Since he turned 32, his TD's have been quite consistent, except for last year.  The numbers are 32 (4th), 31 (8th), 29 (12th), 33 (4th), 28 (5th), 32 (6th), and 23 (15th).
- His career interception % is 2.6.  He has been below this in 4 of the last 7 years, and 2 of the last 3.
- His career yards per attempt is 7.8.  He has reached that each of the last 3 seasons.

Yes, he had a bad year in 2019.  His 23 TD's were his lowest since 2007, and he reached 20 INT's for the 3rd time in his career.  Take a look at his career and tell me why you think he is toast - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RivePh00.htm

If your only reason is 2019, I'm willing to give him a mulligan and see how he performs in 2020.

I've never said Rivers has had a terrible career.  He's always been a better FF QB than NFL QB.  Hes not a HOF QB.  He's the AFC Tony Romo.

Oh, after watching him quite a bit this past season, it's easy to see he doesn't have it anymore.  Every QB hits the point at some time.

I've never said Rivers has had a terrible career.  He's always been a better FF QB than NFL QB.  Hes not a HOF QB.  He's the AFC Tony Romo.
I wasn't singling anyone out.  Just trying to point out that the thread title is wonky.  And yes, I agree he is better for FF.  He does have a passion for the game, but sometimes it gets the best of him.  When he's good, he's great, but when he's bad, he sucks.

Oh, after watching him quite a bit this past season, it's easy to see he doesn't have it anymore.  Every QB hits the point at some time.
When you say "he doesn't have it anymore", I assume you are referring to only 2019, right?  2018 was one of his best years.  He was 6th in TD's and 8th in yards, but 14th in attempts.  He was 5th in QB rating, behind only Brees, Mahomes, Wilson, and Ryan.  2017 was very good too.  His 28 TD/10 INT's was one of the best ratios of his career.  He finished behind only Brady in yardage.

FWIW, Rivers has played behind quite possibly the worst OL for the past 13 seasons.  Starting with 2019 and working backwards, PFF has ranked them 29, 30, 24, 31, 28, 29, 18, 28, 26, 15, 21, 15, and 25.  Has any other QB played behind such a bad line for such a long time?

I'm not ready to give up on him just yet, and neither is the NFL.  Will be curious to see if he can have a good year behind a line like IND.

Does anyone really think a QB can make it to #6 all time in both yardage and TD's and be terrible?  Or have a higher career completion percentage than guys like Brady, Rodgers, or Wilson?  The fact is, Rivers is far from terrible.  The question is, has he lost enough as he's aged to become terrible?  Let's see...

- His career completion % is 64.7.  He topped that in both 2018 and 2019.  Since he turned 32, his percentage is 65.6%
- Since he turned 32, his lowest yearly yardage in 7 seasons is 4286.  The only other QB to throw for 4K each of the last 7 seasons is Ryan, and his low is 4095.
- Since he turned 32, his TD's have been quite consistent, except for last year.  The numbers are 32 (4th), 31 (8th), 29 (12th), 33 (4th), 28 (5th), 32 (6th), and 23 (15th).
- His career interception % is 2.6.  He has been below this in 4 of the last 7 years, and 2 of the last 3.
- His career yards per attempt is 7.8.  He has reached that each of the last 3 seasons.

Yes, he had a bad year in 2019.  His 23 TD's were his lowest since 2007, and he reached 20 INT's for the 3rd time in his career.  Take a look at his career and tell me why you think he is toast - https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RivePh00.htm

If your only reason is 2019, I'm willing to give him a mulligan and see how he performs in 2020.
Hey Winz....yes my comments are solely based on the current situation....I'm not factoring in his tremendous career....you can put all the stats up you want from the past.....of course if you look at his career numbers wise he is going to look fantastic....and not "toast".....but if you go by what your eye balls tell you of his current play.....yeah "toast" starts creeping into the conversation....I'm simply saying it looks like his best days are behind him....and if my team was seriously bringing him in to be "the man" and win me games and they think he is what is going to put us "over the top"....(which is probably where IND thinks they are right now).....I think they will be very disappointed.....

Hey Winz....yes my comments are solely based on the current situation....I'm not factoring in his tremendous career....you can put all the stats up you want from the past.....of course if you look at his career numbers wise he is going to look fantastic....and not "toast".....but if you go by what your eye balls tell you of his current play.....yeah "toast" starts creeping into the conversation....I'm simply saying it looks like his best days are behind him....and if my team was seriously bringing him in to be "the man" and win me games and they think he is what is going to put us "over the top"....(which is probably where IND thinks they are right now).....I think they will be very disappointed.....
Fair enough.  The question is, when did your eyes start telling you he is toast?  Was it prior to last year?

- As for his legs, Rivers never had "a step to lose".  He is a 100% pocket passer, with only 3 career rushing TD's.  He makes Tom Brady look like Lamar Jackson.
- As for his arm, he has always looked awkward to me.  He has one of the ugliest releases, but it is still quick.  If it wasn't, he'd be getting sacked at Deshaun rates.
- As for his heart, he still plays with passion.  Many times the passion turns into frustration, and that's when he looks like crap.  But that's been his MO his whole career.

As a lifelong Chargers fan, I think what separates him from the elite is when they find ways to win, he finds ways to lose.  But I don't put all the blame on him.  In his 1st season as the starter (2006), he had the top ranked OL in the NFL.  It's no coincidence the Chargers also had their best finish (14-2) of his career.  Since then, they have been the worst OL in the NFL over a 13-year span.  I do think he played mostly frustrated in 2019, and he forced throws left and right.

Will a change of scenery make him look better than he did in 2019?  Can he look any worse?
Are his best days behind him?  Definitely, but what near-40 guy can say otherwise?
Can he put a team like IND "over the top", as you said?  I hope we get to find out.  He deserves a year behind a good OL.

The Athletic's Stephen Holder reports the Colts are "vetting" free agent Philip Rivers.

It confirms reporting first passed along from Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline. The Rivers-to-Indy smoke has been billowing for some time. The fire might break out in the opening hours of the "legal tampering" period. Rivers has also been connected to the Bucs, but the Colts are looking like the most likely fit at the moment.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: The Athletic

Feb 28, 2020, 12:43 AM ET

ProFootballNetwork's Tony Pauline reports the Redskins are expected to "make a bid" for free agent Philip Rivers.

Rivers would likely need a "massive contract" to sign with the Redskins. It's not the first time Washington has been connected to a quarterback — they plan to bring in Joe Burrow and Tua Tagovailoa for pre-draft visits — but this suggests the Redskins aren't expecting a healthy return from Alex Smith. Rivers has ties to Ron Rivera from their Chargers days, but the Colts remain his likeliest landing spot.

RELATED: 

Washington Redskins

SOURCE: ProFootballNetwork

Feb 29, 2020, 11:23 AM ET

I hope that is fake news (Redskins going after Rivers) He doesn't fit the model of rebuilding...and he's not worth spending a lot of money on at his age and considering the TO's he makes. 

the team that knows him best let him walk.....and it's not like Taylor is the future......if he still had something left why wouldn't the Chargers just have kept him and drafted a QB like they are going to do and have Rivers be the bridge guy like say Smith was to Mahomes for a year or so....you could argue that with their talented rosters and "winning window" the Colts and the Chargers are in pretty similar places.....I guess I'm just thinking there is a reason they went separate ways....I don't always buy the "time for a change" stuff or "want to go in a different direction"....sometimes they let you walk cause they think you aren't very good....I think that comes into play here....if I am an INDY fan, I'm about to get really bummed....
Rivers for a year or two in Indy is s smart move by them and he's definitely an upgrade over Brissett.   That's what it really boils down to here. 

Rivers for a year or two in Indy is s smart move by them and he's definitely an upgrade over Brissett.   That's what it really boils down to here. 
The problem with signing Rivers is, are the declining stats a function of age, poor O-line or both.  Plus, the QB position is evolving quickly in the NFL where a mobile QB is the preferred route for offensive success. .   

The problem with signing Rivers is, are the declining stats a function of age, poor O-line or both.  Plus, the QB position is evolving quickly in the NFL where a mobile QB is the preferred route for offensive success. .   
It is reasonable to think age is a factor, but IMO going from the Chargers pass blocking to the Colts pass blocking would be hugely beneficial to Rivers.

The New York Post reports ESPN has "shown interest" in free agent Philip Rivers for its Monday Night Football broadcast.

Peyton Manning appears to be ESPN's No. 1 target after they missed out on Tony Romo, though Rivers would be a solid back-up plan. For his part, Rivers has given zero indication he is ready to conclude his playing career. A television move is probably in his future, but not this spring.

SOURCE: New York Post

Mar 5, 2020, 5:32 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter "fully expects" the Colts to pursue free agent Philip Rivers.

Schefter does add that the Colts will "look at other quarterback options." Rivers-to-Indy rumors have been burning for some time now. A reunion with ex-Chargers assistant Frank Reich, under whom Rivers had some of his best seasons, would make all the sense in the world. It would also be a fairly low-risk move for the Colts, who have Jacoby Brissett as the perfect fall-back option if Rivers' 2019 decline carries over.

RELATED: 

Indianapolis Colts

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 12:01 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Colts have had discussion with former-Chargers QB Philip Rivers

Rapoport added, "And while nothing is done, he’s a clear target for Indy. We shall see if they can agree on the money." This is far from the first report that has linked Rivers to Indianapolis. The Colts' beastly offensive line makes them one of (very) few teams that could potentially enable the slow-footed Rivers to a bounce-back season in 2020. Still, the available skill-position weapons are hardly equivalent to what Rivers had in Los Angeles. He turns 39 in December.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 2:10 PM ET

I'm baffled by this. Do Colts fans really think Rivers is going to be that much of an upgrade from Brissett?
I do. I think Brissett was AWFUL. Rivers is far from his prime, but he's still way better than Brissett. And I'm sure the plan would be for him to be a stop gap and they probably draft a rookie in the 1st or 2nd round. 

I do. I think Brissett was AWFUL. Rivers is far from his prime, but he's still way better than Brissett. And I'm sure the plan would be for him to be a stop gap and they probably draft a rookie in the 1st or 2nd round. 
+1

Watching Brissett last year......oof.  Just terrible.   Rivers has zero mobility, but at least he can throw the ball.

+1

Watching Brissett last year......oof.  Just terrible.   Rivers has zero mobility, but at least he can throw the ball.
Exactly. The ONLY value Brissett has is maybe as a running QB, but that only helps him, and no one is going to start that guy. He murders your skill position players. 

Huge for Hilton and I think gives some hope for Campbell owners. Especially if Rivers does continue to lose some of his deep ball skills, Campbell could take advantage underneath. 

I'm baffled by this. Do Colts fans really think Rivers is going to be that much of an upgrade from Brissett?
I don't think people realize how bad Brissett is. He's a below average backup QB. Even his mobility is overrated. He literally does nothing well. If I were rating QB's on an A-F scale, Brissett is an F. 

Indy is a QB's dream to some extent. A great play caller, top notch o-line, solid running game, at least 1 good WR, a decent TE, potential in Campbell, and likely a top-44 pick on a rookie WR. Rivers can make that work for sure. His biggest problem was a lack of time to throw, that won't be an issue in Indy. 

I don't think people realize how bad Brissett is. He's a below average backup QB. Even his mobility is overrated. He literally does nothing well. If I were rating QB's on an A-F scale, Brissett is an F. 

Indy is a QB's dream to some extent. A great play caller, top notch o-line, solid running game, at least 1 good WR, a decent TE, potential in Campbell, and likely a top-44 pick on a rookie WR. Rivers can make that work for sure. His biggest problem was a lack of time to throw, that won't be an issue in Indy. 
Plus more than $60M in available cap space after accounting for the draft picks, practice squad, and IR. Rivers will take a lot of that, but they will still have enough left to improve other position groups.

Rotoworld:

Colts signed QB Philip Rivers, formerly of the Chargers, to a one-year, $25 million contract.

The worst kept secret in football is out. Rivers appeared dead armed for the Chargers last season, but he will be reuniting with coach Frank Reich in Indy, under whom he had arguably the best three-year stretch of his career from 2013-15. Reich was QBs coach that first season then offensive coordinator. It's a worthy gamble for a Colts team that needs more explosive quarterback play but has one of the league's top No. 2 talents in Jacoby Brissett. If Rivers' arm is truly shot, Brissett will be ready to go. The Colts have sorely lacked a legitimate No. 2 receiver for a while now, something that needs to be addressed in the draft or free agency. Counting on Parris Campbell in that spot would be risky.

RELATED: 

Los Angeles Chargers

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 17, 2020, 3:58 PM ET

More an indictment of Brissett than praise for Rivers's 2019. Brissett entirely too slow getting rid of the ball.

Rivers gets to deal with a downgrade in weapons. Ones he's never played with. Line is unquestionably better. Not sure it'll have a happy ending but it's worth finding out when the alternative is Brissett.

I think one thing is for certain IMO is the RBs will be catching a lot more balls.

More an indictment of Brissett than praise for Rivers's 2019. Brissett entirely too slow getting rid of the ball.

Rivers gets to deal with a downgrade in weapons. Ones he's never played with. Line is unquestionably better. Not sure it'll have a happy ending but it's worth finding out when the alternative is Brissett.

I think one thing is for certain IMO is the RBs will be catching a lot more balls.
That's what gives me hope for Campbell. He was like a RB playing WR anyway. Lots of gadget plays, short screens, etc. But they may draft his replacement too for all I know

That's what gives me hope for Campbell. He was like a RB playing WR anyway. Lots of gadget plays, short screens, etc. But they may draft his replacement too for all I know
They need to draft a wr2 in the worst way.  They have two 2nd rd picks.

... this looks like it could be a 1 year mistake. Rivers' gunslinger mentality and his declining arm strength really don't seem to mesh with the Colts unless they plan to go more West Coast offense. Really a puzzling move considering Brissett is still learning the game, but understandable if they draft a QB early I guess.... I mean they could have just tried to trade up.

EDIT: Wait, do the Colts not have a 2020 1st round pick?

... this looks like it could be a 1 year mistake. Rivers' gunslinger mentality and his declining arm strength really don't seem to mesh with the Colts unless they plan to go more West Coast offense. Really a puzzling move considering Brissett is still learning the game, but understandable if they draft a QB early I guess.... I mean they could have just tried to trade up.
Trade up for who?  I sure as hell don’t want anything to do with Herbert and even more so Love.  Only Tua made sense.  They will draft their QB next year.

Users who are viewing this thread