Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Moe Green

Philip Rivers Thread

I thought about adding DE to the list. But I believe that was as much Donnie as it was AJ Smith. Donnie was complaining about his contract the moment he walked into the locker room. Still, it was clear he was an important leader on the team, and AJ should have and could have done more to work with him.

With Castillo/Orshansky still pretty young I've been hoping that they'd look more towards young depth at DT behind Williams for the past several year. Not a 1st/2nd rounder but at least a "project" type guy with a lot of upside you could develop. Williams had actually been healthy for the past two years(the defense used to fall apart whenever he missed time in '02-'04) but he's 31. I don't trust Bingham long-term. They need a stronger backup there.Donnie deserves some of the blame to be sure but if a guy is THAT important to your defense and you are looking at the prospect of losing both your starting ILB's..... you gotta work with the guy. Did you read some of the quotes going back and forth between AJ and Edwards before LAST season? Even after AJ had "won" and Edwards was just going to finish out his contract in SD AJ couldn't keep his mouth shut. He just kept pouring salt onto the wound. After all those years without missing a single game and putting up with AJ's digs in the media I don't think there was any way Edwards would have stayed with SD for any amount of $. People talk about AJ's ego but that's the only situation where I clearly think it hurt SD in an obvious, indisputable way.If Edwards wants more $ than he's worth, well at least don't alienate him to the point he'll make your competition stronger for less $. Then AJ compounds that mistake by failing to address the ILB position. At the time I thought Wilhelm/Cooper were serviceable but nothing special. I still feel that way.
I agree with everything you just said.To get this thread back on topic.. Do you think Philip Rivers sucks worse the Craig Whelihan? Would the Chargers be a better team if they had kept Wheels?

I belive...

65% > 61% completion percentage

27/7 > 22/9 TD/INT ratio

7.9 > 7.4 Y/A

... are the biggest three stats I look at when comparing QB's. Both QB's played as the starter all season long(actually Brees even missed one game and still had 5 more TD's).

Guessing how much better a player is than his replacement MIGHT BE is fine. Spin SOS if you like. Bottom line is Brees was more accurate, had a better TD/INT ratio and averaged more yards per attempt. If you throw those numbers into any blender and the blender says the worse #'s are better... then you need a new blender.

It seems like common sense to me to value putting up solid numbers against a very good defense over putting up slightly better numbers over a very weak one.

:confused:

If you want to refer to that as spin so be it, but you should watch me play as Rivers in Madden 2007 in rookie mode. He's awesome!

Well, I don't consider the difference between 27/7 and 22/9 as being "slightly better" numbers.

You joke, but I actually put more stock in someones madden ratings than anything that comes out of the mouth/keyboard of billy simmons, Skip Bayless or the whole crew of blind date... among other "national pundits".

I thought about adding DE to the list. But I believe that was as much Donnie as it was AJ Smith. Donnie was complaining about his contract the moment he walked into the locker room. Still, it was clear he was an important leader on the team, and AJ should have and could have done more to work with him.

With Castillo/Orshansky still pretty young I've been hoping that they'd look more towards young depth at DT behind Williams for the past several year. Not a 1st/2nd rounder but at least a "project" type guy with a lot of upside you could develop. Williams had actually been healthy for the past two years(the defense used to fall apart whenever he missed time in '02-'04) but he's 31. I don't trust Bingham long-term. They need a stronger backup there.Donnie deserves some of the blame to be sure but if a guy is THAT important to your defense and you are looking at the prospect of losing both your starting ILB's..... you gotta work with the guy. Did you read some of the quotes going back and forth between AJ and Edwards before LAST season? Even after AJ had "won" and Edwards was just going to finish out his contract in SD AJ couldn't keep his mouth shut. He just kept pouring salt onto the wound. After all those years without missing a single game and putting up with AJ's digs in the media I don't think there was any way Edwards would have stayed with SD for any amount of $. People talk about AJ's ego but that's the only situation where I clearly think it hurt SD in an obvious, indisputable way.If Edwards wants more $ than he's worth, well at least don't alienate him to the point he'll make your competition stronger for less $. Then AJ compounds that mistake by failing to address the ILB position. At the time I thought Wilhelm/Cooper were serviceable but nothing special. I still feel that way.
I agree with everything you just said.To get this thread back on topic.. Do you think Philip Rivers sucks worse the Craig Whelihan? Would the Chargers be a better team if they had kept Wheels?
I vote for Billie Joe Tolliver......

I belive...65% > 61% completion percentage27/7 > 22/9 TD/INT ratio7.9 > 7.4 Y/A

Not always. Completing a 7 yard pass on third and six is worth more than completing an 8 yard pass on third and nine. Yards in garbage time aren't worth as much as when the game is on the line. And so on. Context always matters.Nonetheless, DPAR is only apples to apples if pass attempts are similar. Rivers had 15% more pass attempts in 2006 than Brees did in 2004. A better indicator of value per play is DVOA.Rivers 2006 = 28.3%Brees 2004 = 29.5%

I belive...65% > 61% completion percentage27/7 > 22/9 TD/INT ratio7.9 > 7.4 Y/A

Not always. Completing a 7 yard pass on third and six is worth more than completing an 8 yard pass on third and nine. Yards in garbage time aren't worth as much as when the game is on the line. And so on. Context always matters.
Yeah but a lot of those types of plays are going to even themselves out over the course of a season. The big one to me is 27/7 vs 22/9. Not that 22/9 isn't great(it is) but 27/7 in less than 16 games is just incredible.

Spanos didn't want to reward Marty with a big long term deal for the good work Marty did in SD. There's really no other way to spin it... unless you get all your news and form your opinions based on rantings of Skip Bayless and latest whispers from the set of blind date.

Why would he give Marty a big long term extension? Marty had two playoff games at home while he was the coach, and he lost them both. Regardless of why the Chargers lost, Marty's inability to win home playoff games only supported the notion that his teams can't win the big one.

What about LT? Does it bother you when he becomes visibly frustrated when things don't go his way? Do you think his expression of frustration can not continue if he wants to be championship quality RB on a championship quality team? Is it a sign of his serious inability to handle adversity?

There's no comparison, so I didn't think it was worth addressing. If you can't see a discernible difference between their behaviors (let me know when LT draws a penalty for this), I'll be happy do not discuss this with you any further.
2-4-SD 26 (2:02) L.Tomlinson left tackle pushed ob at SD 42 for 16 yards (C.Finnegan). PENALTY on SD-L.Tomlinson, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced between downs.:rolleyes:

What about LT? Does it bother you when he becomes visibly frustrated when things don't go his way? Do you think his expression of frustration can not continue if he wants to be championship quality RB on a championship quality team? Is it a sign of his serious inability to handle adversity?

There's no comparison, so I didn't think it was worth addressing. If you can't see a discernible difference between their behaviors (let me know when LT draws a penalty for this), I'll be happy do not discuss this with you any further.
2-4-SD 26 (2:02) L.Tomlinson left tackle pushed ob at SD 42 for 16 yards (C.Finnegan). PENALTY on SD-L.Tomlinson, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced between downs.:lmao:
Comparing LTs maturity to Rivers is ridiculous regardless of the penalty. Rivers is way too emotional, both up and down. He simply can't progress as a QB until he learns to calm down.

2-4-SD 26 (2:02) L.Tomlinson left tackle pushed ob at SD 42 for 16 yards (C.Finnegan). PENALTY on SD-L.Tomlinson, Unnecessary Roughness, 15 yards, enforced between downs.:thumbup:
Comparing LTs maturity to Rivers is ridiculous regardless of the penalty. Rivers is way too emotional, both up and down. He simply can't progress as a QB until he learns to calm down.
LT is definitely more mature than Rivers. Hes been a starter for 6 more years so its expected. Groovus was talking about emotional outbursts and told me to let him know when LT gets a penalty for one. I'm not sure whats ridiculous about any of that.He looked really mature when this happened to...

:lmao: @ LT not wanting to sit next to Rivers on the bench.

What happened? Please explain .....
Rivers came to the bench and sat right next to LT. Immediately LT kind of gave a look of disgust and left the bench.
Edited by Mr. PadresLakers

Rivers is showing me something on this drive.

Ton of heart by Rivers, playing hurt and leading that comeback on the road against a rough team fighting for their playoff lives. Awesome really...

:lmao: Thats about as gutsy a performance as Ive seen by a qb this year

Hillarious -I played against Wellihan in high school, 1987, Santa Theresa Saints! Rivers is slightly better than good old Wheels.

Ton of heart by Rivers, playing hurt and leading that comeback on the road against a rough team fighting for their playoff lives. Awesome really...

:shrug: Thats about as gutsy a performance as Ive seen by a qb this year
:goodposting:
:goodposting: Great 4th quarter for Phil. Kudos to him, he kept his head today and it paid off. Now if he can play like that for all 4 quarters they could win a game or two in the playoffs - as long as Merriman isn't out long term.

:rolleyes: Thats about as gutsy a performance as Ive seen by a qb this year
:rolleyes:
:goodposting: Great 4th quarter for Phil. Kudos to him, he kept his head today and it paid off. Now if he can play like that for all 4 quarters they could win a game or two in the playoffs - as long as Merriman isn't out long term.
:goodposting: The kid showed me something yesterday

Ya know, Rivers needs to pull Tomlinson aside today and give him some #### for acting like a total jerk all year to him.

Edited by RBM

Ya know, Rivers needs to pull Tomlinson aside today and give him some #### for acting like a total jerk all year to him.

I herd cowher and collinsworth talking about something, I must have been flipping around yesterday and missed it in the game, did LT show up Phil or something??

I herd cowher and collinsworth talking about something, I must have been flipping around yesterday and missed it in the game, did LT show up Phil or something??
I didn't see it because the game wasn't on in my area, but it was discussed both on Mike & Mike and Fox Sports Radio this morning. Both shows characterized it as a major show of "hostility" towards Rivers and commented about how suprising it was for a player who has always been characterized as having a lot of class and as being a leader.I love LT, and I'm sure plenty of things about this season have been frustrating, including Rivers' erratic play. But it is somewhat ironic that people around here have bashed Rivers for not being able to control his emotions and it was LT who had that problem yesterday. It is true that Rivers does need to control his emotions better (and play better), but there is no excuse for LT behaving that way. (Of course, I'm basing this on secondhand accounts, having not seen it myself.)

People get pissed and sometimes need space. They made up pretty quickly. Nobody is perfect.

People get pissed and sometimes need space. They made up pretty quickly. Nobody is perfect.

Its been a problem all year, not just yesterdayTomlinson is supposed to be Mr Class, but he really hasnt acted like it since the loss to the Pats last year in the playoffs.

Its been a problem all year, not just yesterdayTomlinson is supposed to be Mr Class, but he really hasnt acted like it since the loss to the Pats last year in the playoffs.
The problem here is that LT is a leader on the team. If he shows on multiple occasions that he doesn't respect Rivers, what kind of tone does that set for others on the team?

The throw to LT on 3rd down that was eventually overturned was fantastic, even though it ended up incomplete.

Its been a problem all year, not just yesterday

Tomlinson is supposed to be Mr Class, but he really hasnt acted like it since the loss to the Pats last year in the playoffs.

The problem here is that LT is a leader on the team. If he shows on multiple occasions that he doesn't respect Rivers, what kind of tone does that set for others on the team?
It's a trumped up non-issue. Next.

Tomlinson, Rivers deny friction

Bench incident on TV rekindles rift rumor

By Jay Posner

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

December 10, 2007

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – It's probably too late to prevent a furor among Chargers fans, but LaDainian Tomlinson says there's nothing between him and Philip Rivers.

In fact, as Rivers walked onto a podium yesterday at LP Field to address reporters after Tomlinson had just finished doing the same, the running back smiled, put his arm around the quarterback and said, “I love you, man.”

SEAN M. HAFFEY / Union-Tribune

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (right) congratulates LaDainian Tomlinson after LT's winning touchdown against the Titans, showing no hint of the alleged disagreement between the two.

After the laughter subsided, Rivers was asked if he felt the same way.

“No question,” he said. Then, turning toward the door, he yelled, “Love you, too, LT.”

The subject came up after the Chargers' 23-17 overtime victory over Tennessee because a CBS camera caught Tomlinson getting off the Chargers bench immediately after Rivers sat next to him. Given speculation about an alleged rift between the two – they were jawing at each other as they walked off the field after a play in Green Bay – it was an obvious question.

Tomlinson explained he had been talking to Lorenzo Neal about an earlier play, and he was still thinking about that when he decided to get up and go say something to the team's offensive linemen.

“I didn't even know that happened as far as Philip coming down and me getting up,” Tomlinson said.

Was he frustrated with Rivers? After all, at the time of the “incident” late in the third quarter, the Chargers had gained just 110 yards, were trailing 10-3 and Tennessee was close to scoring another touchdown.

“No. I thought we were doing OK as far as trying to get things together,” Tomlinson said. “I mean, Philip, it was tough throwing the ball today. Them guys were hitting him every time he threw the ball. I can see that. It wasn't Philip's fault.

“I think they're reading too much into (what was on TV). It's just unfortunate that they do that. But that's the way it is.”

What shouldn't be lost in discussion about what might have happened on the bench was Tomlinson's play on the field. Facing a Titans defense that had allowed just 72 rushing yards a game with Albert Haynesworth in the lineup (as he was yesterday), Tomlinson carried 26 times for 146 yards, including the winning 16-yard TD run in overtime.

That TD came on the same “Power” play the Chargers used to win an overtime game at Washington in 2005.

“They were really bunched inside,” Tomlinson said. “So I knew they expected us to hit the middle of the field. Our thought process there was, 'Let's don't just rely on the field goal. Anything can happen on a field goal.' If you can win it with a touchdown, let's do it.”

Many of Tomlinson's big gains came on cutback runs, which center Nick Hardwick said happened after the Chargers switched from man-to-man to zone blocking.

“The way they were playing, they were overrunning things,” said Tomlinson, who tied Walter Payton for eighth place on the all-time TD list with 125. “Obviously the cutback was there.”

Jay Posner: (619) 293-1834; jay.posner@uniontrib.com

That's great. I'm surprised to have heard it characterized on multiple shows as "hostile" if that is all it was. But glad to hear it. Hopefully everyone on the team shares the same understanding that it is a non-issue.
It's a non issue because they ended up winning. LT's explanation is not very believable if you see the video.

That's great. I'm surprised to have heard it characterized on multiple shows as "hostile" if that is all it was. But glad to hear it. Hopefully everyone on the team shares the same understanding that it is a non-issue.
It's a non issue because they ended up winning. LT's explanation is not very believable if you see the video.
:thumbdown:

Seemed like a fitting explanation to me when seeing the video.

Well, I would expect that to be the explanation whether or not it is true. I mean, if it was hostile, it's not like either LT or Rivers is going to say that to the media.

Well, I would expect that to be the explanation whether or not it is true. I mean, if it was hostile, it's not like either LT or Rivers is going to say that to the media.
Given what LaDainian said, I'm pretty sure he was disgusted at the offensive line - not Rivers - particularly after hearing whatever Neal had said to him, as he should have been, as I was. They were absolutely horrible for 3 quarters yesterday, and Phil had zero chance to be affective and LaDainian was basically running into a stone wall every carry. At some point during the second half, the offensive line switched from man to man blocking (which wasn't working ) to zone blocking and suddenly started having success in the run game and giving Rivers more time to throw (although the defense getting tired probably had something to do with that as well). I'm thinking this may have had something to do with giving some incentive to make that switch. Edited by Gr00vus

Get real dude. LT looked over at him. Had a look of disgust on his face and stormed off. Rivers just threw an interception and you actually believe LT thoughts are focused on some random play involving Lorenzo Neal and not the turnover that just occurred.

I was thinking something similar to this when I saw the episode on NFL Network. Philip sits down and Tomlinson almost immediately gets up. The heads were saying that Tomlinson was obviously upset with Rivers, and I was thinking "Really? Obviously? Looked like a coincidence as much as anything. One guy sits down, another gets up. Happens every day without anybody being upset with anyone. How is this situation obvious?"

Get real dude. LT looked over at him. Had a look of disgust on his face and stormed off. Rivers just threw an interception and you actually believe LT thoughts are focused on some random play involving Lorenzo Neal and not the turnover that just occurred.
See above - dude.

NFL.com has a highlight video. The moment in question happens around 1:50 in.

I see the same thing that I described earlier. I must be as blind as Family Matters.

PS FM reason number 64 why AJ Smith's job is nowhere near to being in jeopardy.

Stat of the Week

So you want to know how active your team will be with a good free-agency market coming up in three months? Here's a chart of how much cap space each team was due to have next spring as of Saturday, along with how many players each team has under contract:

Team Signed Players 2008 cap room

1. Tennessee 39 $40.85 million

2. San Diego 44 $33.03 million

3. Jacksonville 43 $32.69 million

4. Buffalo 49 $32.05 million

5. New Orleans 39 $31.69 million

6. Cincinnati 48 $31.45 million

7. San Francisco 48 $30.91 million

8. Cleveland 42 $30.31 million

9. Arizona 34 $30.27 million

10.N.Y. Jets 45 $27.72 million

11.Oakland 40 $25.98 million

12.Tampa Bay 48 $25.90 million

13.Miami 48 $25.56 million

14.N.Y. Giants 49 $24.47 million

15.Detroit 42 $23.50 million

16.Houston 43 $22.91 million

17.Dallas 40 $20.61 million

18.Kansas City 44 $20.27 million

19.Chicago 52 $19.80 million

20.Pittsburgh 43 $18.61 million

21.Green Bay 48 $18.37 million

22.Philadelphia 49 $17.17 million

23.Denver 49 $16.77 million

24.Minnesota 49 $14.88 million

25.New England 41 $10.93 million

26.St. Louis 45 $9.61 million

27.Seattle 44 $9.55 million

28.Indianapolis 48 $8.49 million

29.Carolina 35 $6.05 million

30.Atlanta 52 $5.79 million*

31.Baltimore 42 $5.00 million

32.Washington 45 -$20.72 million

* Not including unspecified potential rebate from contested return of Michael Vick's pro-rated signing bonus.

And yes, you read it right. The Washington Redskins are $20 million over the projected '08 cap, a number that will be reduced once the 'Skins convert some bonuses assigned to the '08 cap (including a hefty one paid to tight end Chris Cooley) to signing bonuses, which can be pro-rated over the life of the contract.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...9/week14/4.html

I see the same thing that I described earlier. I must be as blind as Family Matters.

Stat of the Week

So you want to know how active your team will be with a good free-agency market coming up in three months? Here's a chart of how much cap space each team was due to have next spring as of Saturday, along with how many players each team has under contract:

* Not including unspecified potential rebate from contested return of Michael Vick's pro-rated signing bonus.

And yes, you read it right. The Washington Redskins are $20 million over the projected '08 cap, a number that will be reduced once the 'Skins convert some bonuses assigned to the '08 cap (including a hefty one paid to tight end Chris Cooley) to signing bonuses, which can be pro-rated over the life of the contract.

Good info here. I wonder if A.J. will consider using some of that cap space to sign a couple of impact free agents to try to win a Super Bowl in the near term, before LT is out of his prime.

And SD really can't afford to keep Turner around one more year for $5mil??? I don't get why so many people say you can't franchise that guy.

Good info here. I wonder if A.J. will consider using some of that cap space to sign a couple of impact free agents to try to win a Super Bowl in the near term, before LT is out of his prime.

Is there anything in A.J.'s history to suggest that he might do this?

And SD really can't afford to keep Turner around one more year for $5mil??? I don't get why so many people say you can't franchise that guy.
Its closer to 10 Million. And if they want to extend Merriman, Rivers, Igor, Castillo, etc, they aren't going to spend 1/3 of their cap space on a backup RB. No chance. M Turner is gone come March. Edited by Gold Plated Nails

And SD really can't afford to keep Turner around one more year for $5mil???

Perhaps they can, but look how he is being used this year. Does that seem like a good investment?

I'm the resident Charger optimist, and I thought LT's move was bush league, and that the post game "it's nothing" characterization is BS.

LT was clearly upset and frustrated with Rivers, and reacted in a child like manner that lacked class and leadership. Winning cured the ill this time, but you find out about a players character when times are tough. It's easy to be a "leader" when you're smoking everyone and going 14-2.

:thumbup: LT2.

Its closer to 10 Million.
How does that work? To the best of my knowledge there are no RB's in the nfl making $10mil in a season. Yet the average of the top 5 RB's is more than any RB is making?

I'm the resident Charger optimist, and I thought LT's move was bush league, and that the post game "it's nothing" characterization is BS.LT was clearly upset and frustrated with Rivers, and reacted in a child like manner that lacked class and leadership. Winning cured the ill this time, but you find out about a players character when times are tough. It's easy to be a "leader" when you're smoking everyone and going 14-2. :goodposting: LT2.

I'd throw the new "controversy" in the same file as..."You know Shanny is stoked to see Merriman on TV during a game week"...and..."LT made a phone call to Marty!".Both of these were followed by big wins. Sometimes the sky simply isn't falling.

LT was clearly upset and frustrated

It sure looked that way.

with Rivers

You obviously know something I don't. What makes you so certain that it was Rivers that got him upset?

LT was clearly upset and frustrated

It sure looked that way.

with Rivers

You obviously know something I don't. What makes you so certain that it was Rivers that got him upset?
Context, and the videotape. Rivers was struggling and had just thrown an interception. Rivers sat down right beside LT, and LT stood up and walked away. It was a complete diss. No other way to see it, if you're being honest, IMO.I have 1 Charger jersey, and it's a powder blue LT #21. But that was weak stuff he pulled yesterday.

I'm the resident Charger optimist, and I thought LT's move was bush league, and that the post game "it's nothing" characterization is BS.LT was clearly upset and frustrated with Rivers, and reacted in a child like manner that lacked class and leadership. Winning cured the ill this time, but you find out about a players character when times are tough. It's easy to be a "leader" when you're smoking everyone and going 14-2. :unsure: LT2.

I'd throw the new "controversy" in the same file as..."You know Shanny is stoked to see Merriman on TV during a game week"...and..."LT made a phone call to Marty!".Both of these were followed by big wins. Sometimes the sky simply isn't falling.
No sky is falling talk from me. I'm not predicting a Charger implosion b/c of this incident.But I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and pretend it didn't happen. It did. LT made an ### out of himself, choosing to diss Philip instead of encouraging him and trying to provide some positive reenforcement.

Stat of the Week

So the savings from Brees was that much? So does this contridict the point that Walter Slovotsky kept making about SD spending near their Cap limit each year? Am I missing something?

Stat of the Week

So the savings from Brees was that much? So does this contridict the point that Walter Slovotsky kept making about SD spending near their Cap limit each year? Am I missing something?
Apparently you're missing the entire point of the post. This is the Chargers cap space for 2008, not for 2007. As far as I know, the Chargers are right at the cap limit for 2007.

In the offseason, I'm sure AJ will try to lock up Cromartie and a couple other young Bolts to long term extensions. Then he'll make a couple moves via free agency, getting the Bolts close to the cap. By week 7, if the Bolts haven't had to use the remaining cap space, AJ will accelerate a couple of bonuses so that the Chargers are maxed out against the cap, and have more room in the following offseason.

Happens every year.

Stat of the Week

Apparently you're missing the entire point of the post. This is the Chargers cap space for 2008, not for 2007. As far as I know, the Chargers are right at the cap limit for 2007.

In the offseason, I'm sure AJ will try to lock up Cromartie and a couple other young Bolts to long term extensions. Then he'll make a couple moves via free agency, getting the Bolts close to the cap. By week 7, if the Bolts haven't had to use the remaining cap space, AJ will accelerate a couple of bonuses so that the Chargers are maxed out against the cap, and have more room in the following offseason.

Happens every year.

You may be right, I might be missing something. But comparing to where they are versus others, they seem on the low end of things. That usually means they are spending less. Guess it would be helpful to know where they are right now, for this season compared to the rest of the NFL. That would paint a better picture I guess. Anyone know?