What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official Red Sox-Indians ALCS Thread**** (1 Viewer)

NY/NJMFDIVER

Footballguy
Who do you like and why? If Cleveland can get 5 starts out of their top 2, I like them. Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
Series begins FridayGame 	Matchup 	Day 	Date 	Time ET 	TVGm 1 	CLE @ BOS 	Fri 	Oct. 12 	7 pm 	FOXGm 2 	CLE @ BOS 	Sat 	Oct. 13 	8 pm 	FOXGm 3 	BOS @ CLE 	Mon 	Oct. 15 	7 pm 	FOXGm 4 	BOS @ CLE 	Tue 	Oct. 16 	8 pm 	FOXGm 5* 	BOS @ CLE 	Thu 	Oct. 18 	8 pm 	FOXGm 6* 	CLE @ BOS 	Sat 	Oct. 20 	TBD 	FOXGm 7* 	CLE @ BOS 	Sun 	Oct. 21 	TBD 	FOX* - if necessary

The Red Sox have announced their rotation will stay the same...Beck/Dice/Schill

edit to add - hard to call the 4th starter...one of either Beck/Wake/Lester

Indians can pitch Sabathia on three days rest in game four and then bring him back on full rest for a game seven. Carmona would be on full rest pitching in games 2 and 5.

Bryd is better on the road and is 3-1 with a 4 ERA in 5 starts at Fenway. They could pitch him in game five I suppose especially if the series was tied or 3-1 Cleveland. Westbrook is much better at the Jake than he is on the road both this year and lifetime. In this case it would make sense to throw him in game three if the Indians are going with a four different starting pitchers in this series which I think they have to. If I were Wedge I'd play it by ear beginning with game three.

Everyone is always up for pitchers going on three day's rest in the post season, but historically the pitchers that have done so have been mostly terrible. I don't have the numbers handy, but most of the time those guys have gotten lit up.

Everyone is always up for pitchers going on three day's rest in the post season, but historically the pitchers that have done so have been mostly terrible. I don't have the numbers handy, but most of the time those guys have gotten lit up.
Sabathia has a rubber arm. I can't think of one other pitcher off the top of my head that I'd recommend it with but Sabathia is a guy who could probably throw 130 pitches in a game.ETA: Fatboy has thrown 100 pitches in 28 of 35 starts and 110 pitches 13 times. He's gone over 100 a total of 146 times in his career.

Indians can pitch Sabathia on three days rest in game four and then bring him back on full rest for a game seven. Carmona would be on full rest pitching in games 2 and 5. Bryd is better on the road and is 3-1 with a 4 ERA in 5 starts at Fenway. They could pitch him in game five I suppose especially if the series was tied or 3-1 Cleveland. Westbrook is much better at the Jake than he is on the road both this year and lifetime. In this case it would make sense to throw him in game three if the Indians are going with a four different starting pitchers in this series which I think they have to. If I were Wedge I'd play it by ear beginning with game three.
I think this series is much closer Red Sox fans would want to admit. Beckett v Sabathia is a push. At this point Carmona v. DiceK has to favor CarmonaI'd take Schilling in both his starts v Westbrook/ByrdWhile the leftover Westbrook/Byrd Game 4 start is about on par with the Lester/Wake level for the Sox. You can go around the diamond too, and player for player they're about equal. Both teams work the count and extend pitchers very effectively. The only real difference between the two teams is the power Ortiz, Manny, and Lowell possess in the heart of the lineup which I think is where the series will be decided. If the Indians don't give up the longball, I think we'll be in for a long series. I'd also be pretty shocked if either team went off their regular 4 man rotation.

Big Indians homer here, this series is to close to call. It will depend on which team gets the breaks.

I'm not sure if I can watch the games, I was a nervous wreck for the last two games against the Yankees. :thumbup:

Go Tribe!

Indians can pitch Sabathia on three days rest in game four and then bring him back on full rest for a game seven. Carmona would be on full rest pitching in games 2 and 5.

Bryd is better on the road and is 3-1 with a 4 ERA in 5 starts at Fenway. They could pitch him in game five I suppose especially if the series was tied or 3-1 Cleveland. Westbrook is much better at the Jake than he is on the road both this year and lifetime. In this case it would make sense to throw him in game three if the Indians are going with a four different starting pitchers in this series which I think they have to. If I were Wedge I'd play it by ear beginning with game three.
I think this series is much closer Red Sox fans would want to admit. Beckett v Sabathia is a push.

At this point Carmona v. DiceK has to favor Carmona

I'd take Schilling in both his starts v Westbrook/Byrd

While the leftover Westbrook/Byrd Game 4 start is about on par with the Lester/Wake level for the Sox.

You can go around the diamond too, and player for player they're about equal. Both teams work the count and extend pitchers very effectively.

The only real difference between the two teams is the power Ortiz, Manny, and Lowell possess in the heart of the lineup which I think is where the series will be decided. If the Indians don't give up the longball, I think we'll be in for a long series.

I'd also be pretty shocked if either team went off their regular 4 man rotation.
I agree with all your points but wanted to talk about the bolded. Both teams are OBP centered and Cleveland actually hit more HRs as a team this year because they have a lot of really good role players. Guys like Blake, Guiterrez, Peralta, or even Barfield always seem like they come up with big hits at the right time. Plus you have Sizemore who can go 0-4 with a walk, and reach on an error and a fielders choice and then score three runs. I think Victor Martinez is one of the best pure hitters casual baseball fans don't know, and Hafner is a guy that if he gets hot creates a ton of problems each time through the line-up. That said if Manny is hot and the Sox can get someone else like JD Drew :thumbup: to get Big Papi in after he keeps getting walked then that will play to the Sox advantage. I like the CC vs Ortiz match-up though if I'm the Indians and I walk him otherwise. Manny is the key.

I also like the Indians intangibles in this series. They are going to be the underdog, they are not going to be afraid, and they have had a knack for dramatic comebacks all year. This series may all come down to one guy though: Curt Schilling. If he is effective you have to like the match-up but I can also see him surrendering a couple of early HRs and then getting shelled.

ETA: (sp)

I think this series is much closer Red Sox fans would want to admit. Beckett v Sabathia is a push.

At this point Carmona v. DiceK has to favor Carmona

I'd take Schilling in both his starts v Westbrook/Byrd

While the leftover Westbrook/Byrd Game 4 start is about on par with the Lester/Wake level for the Sox.

You can go around the diamond too, and player for player they're about equal. Both teams work the count and extend pitchers very effectively.

The only real difference between the two teams is the power Ortiz, Manny, and Lowell possess in the heart of the lineup which I think is where the series will be decided. If the Indians don't give up the longball, I think we'll be in for a long series.

I'd also be pretty shocked if either team went off their regular 4 man rotation.
I think Victor Martinez is one of the best pure hitters casual baseball fans don't know, and Hafner is a guy that if he gets hot creates a ton of problems each time through the line-up.
Martinez's hit last night was a thing of beauty.

Is the game on Friday really starting at 7pm? If it were up to fox this thing would start at 8:35 pm and go until 1am. I wonder if MLB had a part in pushing up the start times.

Is the game on Friday really starting at 7pm? If it were up to fox this thing would start at 8:35 pm and go until 1am. I wonder if MLB had a part in pushing up the start times.
That is when it comes on TV... After all of the introductions and pre-game, first pitch probably won't be until 7:30 at the earliest...

The Red Sox have announced their rotation will stay the same...Beck/Dice/Schilledit to add - hard to call the 4th starter...one of either Beck/Wake/Lester
Francona just said it's Beck/Schill/DiceWake throeing a sim game today to see if he's ready, if not lester starts Game 4.

An off day next Wednesday between Games 4 and 5 means the Red Sox could have Josh Beckett pitch in Games 1 and 5, Schilling in Games 2 and 7, Daisuke Matsuzaka in Games 3 and 6 on normal four days’ rest and Tim Wakefield in Game 4.

My analysis:

Beck / Schill vs. CC / Carmona - These pitchers will start 4 of the 7 games, so they play a big factor. Edge has to go to Cleveland. Beckett / CC is about a wash, but as good as Schill has been (lately, and in general in October) Carmona is just plain filthy.

Dice-K vs. Westbrook/Byrd - These starters will pitch 2 of the 7 games, so they play a fairly big factor. Edge has to go to Dice-K, command issues notwithstanding. He flirts with disaster but has the 'stuff' to pitch out of it...the same can't really be said of Cleveland's #3.

Wake/Lester vs. Westbrook/Byrd - These starters will pitch 1 of the 7 games, smaller factor. Wake should get the start, but Lester will be right in if there are signs of struggle from Wake. I will leave this one as a push.

Bullpen - Both teams have a strong bullpen. Due to Papelbon being the best reliever on either team, I am going to give a slight edge to the Red Sox. I also predict that Borowski will end up with a loss for one game this series.

Hitting - Ortiz/Manny/Lowell are certainly a more fearsome trio then Cleveland has. The Red Sox outscored Cleveland this year, and have a number of people who are hot right now. I am going to give the distinct edge to Boston.

Intangibles - Sox have home field, which I think is important for them. Cleveland has the 'underdog' mentality which can work well. Boston fans will pay $250+ a ticket for a game at the Jake, Cleveland fans probably won't, so there will be a Sox representation in Cle. Slight edge to Sox

Overall, I say Sox in 6. Sox win Games 1, 3, 4, and 6 (Basically Beck/Schill splitting with CC/Carmona, and Sox winning the battle of the 3 and 4's)

Its definitely going to be a great series, and I could see it going either way. The Sox may get it done with power, though. Sox in 7.

' said:
Dane Cook is a huge Boston Red Sox fan...
More reason to root for the Tribe. I just want to see someone different and root for the fans who don't take it for granted. It also may be resistance from the media shoving these large market teams down everyone's throat.

Power numbers are not that far apart to give a major advantage.

VMart - 25 / .505

Sizemore - 24 / .462

Hafner - 24 / .451

Garko - 21 / .483

Peralta - 21 / .430

Blake - 18 / .437

Gutierrez - 13 / .472 (271 ab's)

Ortiz - 35 / .621

Lowell - 21 / .501

Ramirez - 20 / .493

Varitek - 17 / .421

Youkalis - 16 / .453

Drew - 11 / .423

Pedroia - 8 / .442

1 - 9 approach during the ALDS:

Sizemore – 1.211 OPS, 1 RBI, 3 R

Cabrera - .575 OPS, 2 RBI, 3 R

Hafner - .866 OPS, 2 RBI, 4 R

Martinez – 1.009 OPS, 4 RBI, 2 R

Garko – 1.136 OPS, 3 RBI, 3 R

Peralta – 1.246 OPS, 2 RBI, 2 R

Lofton - .882 OPS, 4 RBI, 2 R

Gutierrez - .533 OPS, 0 RBI, 2 R

Blake - .294 OPS, 2 RBI, 1 R

Nixon – 2.000 OPS, 2 RBI, 1 R

Shoppach – 2.083 OPS, 0 RBI, 2 R

' said:
Dane Cook is a huge Boston Red Sox fan...
More reason to root for the Tribe. I just want to see someone different and root for the fans who don't take it for granted. It also may be resistance from the media shoving these large market teams down everyone's throat.
I want to see someone different as well... I am pulling for an Indians/Rockies final, so that there will be a different champion again...

i was puzzled as to why the yankees were favored last series. the indians have such a dominant 1-2 punch in sabathia and carmona. we haven't seen such a pair of excellent starters on the same club in a long time. usually the teams with the top pitching rise to the top in the playoffs. same deal here. ortiz and manny are great hitters, but this is about pitching. if there is one key to this series, its that realistically, boston will have to beat that duo twice to survive. i don't think they can do it. realistically, the red sox are hoping to split the first two games in boston and then win a brutal dogfight the rest of the series. that's a poor position to be in, home field advantage or not. indians in 6.

i was puzzled as to why the yankees were favored last series. the indians have such a dominant 1-2 punch in sabathia and carmona. we haven't seen such a pair of excellent starters on the same club in a long time. usually the teams with the top pitching rise to the top in the playoffs. same deal here. ortiz and manny are great hitters, but this is about pitching. if there is one key to this series, its that realistically, boston will have to beat that duo twice to survive. i don't think they can do it. realistically, the red sox are hoping to split the first two games in boston and then win a brutal dogfight the rest of the series. that's a poor position to be in, home field advantage or not. indians in 6.
Vegas doesn't always favor the better team that should be favored. They want the money split 50/50 and more people were going to bet the Yanks whether they were dogs or favs.

Power numbers are not that far apart to give a major advantage.VMart - 25 / .505Sizemore - 24 / .462Hafner - 24 / .451Ortiz - 35 / .621Lowell - 21 / .501Ramirez - 20 / .493
You sure about that?edit to add - if you want to consider Manny a .500 slugger, I can understand...that's what his season stats say...but he has been at 0.600 the last 3 seasons and after recovering from injury resembles that 0.600 hitter a lot more then the 0.500 hitter this year...

How about this analysis - let me know if you dispute any of these.

Hitting:

C - Big edge to Cle

1B - Even

2B - Edge to Bos

SS - Edge to Cle

3B - Big Edge to Bos

OF - Even

DH - Big edge to Bos

Overall, Edge to Boston

Hitting:

C - Big edge to Cle

1B - Even

2B - Edge to Bos

SS - Edge to Cle

3B - Big Edge to Bos

OF - Even

DH - Big edge to Bos

Overall, Edge to Boston
I dispute one. Fixed. :mellow:

I also predict that Borowski will end up with a loss for one game this series.
You're going out on a limb with this one. :mellow:As an Indians fan, I often cringe when I see JoBo taking the mound for a save opportunity. If the tribe is up by three before JoBo takes the mound, they could very well end up losing by 2. I would rather see Perez and Betancort get moved up a spot and let JoBo take a mid relief role, but I know that will never happen.

Hitting:

C - Big edge to Cle

1B - Even

2B - Edge to Bos

SS - Edge to Cle

3B - Big Edge to Bos

OF - Even

DH - Big edge to Bos

Overall, Edge to Boston
I dispute one. Fixed. :P
lol, I assume you're joking...Anyway, one thing I noticed was how bad Barfield was for Cle this year...holy ####

Was also surprised at how good Victor has been (outslugging Manny this year)

If the Sox pitching is as strong as last series they will continue to roll. I don't see CLE being able to get as many clutch hits against the Sox staff as they did against NYY. The Yankees had chances to score and didn't. I don't see BOS allowing as many baserunners as the Yanks did.

Hitting:

C - Big edge to Cle

1B - Even

2B - Edge to Bos

SS - Edge to Cle

3B - Big Edge to Bos

OF - Even

DH - Big edge to Bos

Overall, Edge to Boston
I dispute one. Fixed. :hot:
lol, I assume you're joking...Anyway, one thing I noticed was how bad Barfield was for Cle this year...holy ####

Barfield won't see the field...Cabrera is the starting 2B now...

Hitting:

C - Big edge to Cle

1B - Even

2B - Edge to Bos

SS - Edge to Cle

3B - Big Edge to Bos

OF - Even

DH - Big edge to Bos

Overall, Edge to Boston
I dispute one. Fixed. :blackdot:

Last night during the celebration was the first time I remember seeing Barfield on the field for several weeks.

Hitting:

C - Big edge to Cle

1B - Even

2B - Edge to Bos

SS - Edge to Cle

3B - Big Edge to Bos

OF - Even

DH - Big edge to Bos

Overall, Edge to Boston
I dispute one. Fixed. :blackdot:

Last night during the celebration was the first time I remember seeing Barfield on the field for several weeks.
Yeah, he's started 3 games in the past month...And none in the postseason

Users who are viewing this thread