What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Johan Santana rumor mill (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
WEEI (Boston sports radio) speculating this morning that Johan Santana will be traded to the Red Sox for Coco Crisp, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester.
Here is one. Lots more on the way in the next few weeks I'm guessing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh.. I dunno about that deal.

IF we could guarantee Santana would succeed in Boston then it's alrgiht.. but I despise giving up 2 very solid young arms for a guy who's only got 2 years remaining on the contract.

I just dunno :rolleyes:

Ugh.. I dunno about that deal.

IF we could guarantee Santana would succeed in Boston then it's alrgiht.. but I despise giving up 2 very solid young arms for a guy who's only got 2 years remaining on the contract.

I just dunno :rolleyes:
I mean, nobody can guaranty anything, but he's certainly much more of a sure thing than Buchholz or Lester.

Should we start a canonical list of unfounded rumors of players headed to Boston in the past 5 years?

Or better, maybe we should start a list of players who haven't been rumored to be going to Boston in the past five years. It will be shorter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should we start a canonical list of unfounded rumors of players headed to Boston in the past 5 years?Or better, maybe we should start a list of players who haven't been rumored to be going to Boston in the past five years. It will be shorter.
:blackdot:

I'm hoping the Rockies make a move (Morales, Fuentes, and Atkins for him maybe).
Rockies can't afford him - current payroll goes from 54M to 70M+ without even resigning any of their current free agents, Matsui, etal. Monfort's are having a heart attack over that number much less without adding someone in Santana's pay range. Maybe if they dumped Helton and Holiday they could afford it but they already said they don't want to tie up money in long term contracts.

I'm hoping the Rockies make a move (Morales, Fuentes, and Atkins for him maybe).
Rockies can't afford him - current payroll goes from 54M to 70M+ without even resigning any of their current free agents, Matsui, etal. Monfort's are having a heart attack over that number much less without adding someone in Santana's pay range. Maybe if they dumped Helton and Holiday they could afford it but they already said they don't want to tie up money in long term contracts.
Probably but one can dream. Hell we made the WS after all. LOLI've been wanting to dump Helton for a while so that's fine with me.

Probably but one can dream. Hell we made the WS after all. LOLI've been wanting to dump Helton for a while so that's fine with me.
I believe that is 16M on the next year's payroll and that would certainly get you near the amount that Santana wants. What do you think Rockies fans will do if and when Helton gets traded? Especially if they don't sign some other players to meet his equivalent salary? In the end it will the owners will continue to use the "no long term" contracts wording to justify their signings or lack thereof - and I'm afraid Santana will want a long term contract - as he should.

WEEI (Boston sports radio) speculating this morning that Johan Santana will be traded to the Red Sox for Coco Crisp, Clay Buchholz and Jon Lester.
Lester does not impress me. I wouldn't be all that sad to see him go. Buckholz pitched a gem of a game in that no-hitter, but his numbers weren't that fantastic in AAA. I guess now is the best time to trade him....his value will probably never be higher. I like Coco, but it is apparent that Ellsbury is the starting CF next year.It's a decent package. I think it would certainly make the Twins think about it.

Johan Santana once threw a baseball through a cow that was in his way so he could see who was coming down to road without having to stand up.

I believe that is 16M on the next year's payroll and that would certainly get you near the amount that Santana wants. What do you think Rockies fans will do if and when Helton gets traded? Especially if they don't sign some other players to meet his equivalent salary? In the end it will the owners will continue to use the "no long term" contracts wording to justify their signings or lack thereof - and I'm afraid Santana will want a long term contract - as he should.
Apparently they have a 4-5 year offer for Holliday on the table. They sign him and Johan and I think the fans will be happy. Most realize that Helton is not going to help much.

what about Atkins for Wang? The Yanks get a nice 3B to replace A-Rod. The Rockies get a good groundball pitcher to put in front of that defense, a lower salary and a spot opens up to put Stewart in.

what about Atkins for Wang? The Yanks get a nice 3B to replace A-Rod. The Rockies get a good groundball pitcher to put in front of that defense, a lower salary and a spot opens up to put Stewart in.
I believe Wang's up for arbitration so he's not cheap anymore. Plus Stewart is playing 2nd in the fall.

I believe Wang's up for arbitration so he's not cheap anymore. Plus Stewart is playing 2nd in the fall.
I doubt the Stewart experiment will work because of his lack of range. IMO either Atkins or Helton are gone and I'd prefer it to be Helton.

The local beat writers in Minneapolis are not saying much about Santana at this time, of course all the talk has been about the new ballpark, the thought has been that Santana will be the key player to open the park, but you never can tell what the Twins will do to save a buck. The hot rumor in Minny is that Hunter is going to sign with the Yankees for 5 years 90M :shock: If Hunter gets 90M, I shutter to think what Santana will command when he is a free agent.

are u crazy
Hey, I know that two time 19 game winners don't grow on trees and Atkins hasn't exactly been money on the road...but sometimes you have to overpay to get a piece you need.

are u crazy
Hey, I know that two time 19 game winners don't grow on trees and Atkins hasn't exactly been money on the road...but sometimes you have to overpay to get a piece you need.
The Yanks dont need pitching?

are u crazy
That's why you resign Pettite, trade Hughes, cash and Cabrera for Johan, sign one of the big CF's and go into next year with your staffSantanaPettiteChamberlainKennedyand Cano,Jeter,Atkins as 3/4 of the IF and Abreu, Rowand and Matusi/Damon as your OF

The local beat writers in Minneapolis are not saying much about Santana at this time, of course all the talk has been about the new ballpark, the thought has been that Santana will be the key player to open the park, but you never can tell what the Twins will do to save a buck. The hot rumor in Minny is that Hunter is going to sign with the Yankees for 5 years 90M :goodposting: If Hunter gets 90M, I shutter to think what Santana will command when he is a free agent.
That's pretty steep for Hunter. I heard Rowand's agent is asking for 6 years 84 million which I think is absolutely bonkers too.I think the Twins should move Santana. He's great, but the Twins have a lot of decent arms and doubtfully can afford to keep him. As a Red Sox fan, I'd love to see him come to Boston. I'd give up Lester and Crisp for Santana in a heartbeat...although I'd see if I could deal another piece away and keep Bucholz. I have to think Santana is going to move to a major market team (LA, NY, Boston). Twins are going to be hurt a lot more by the loss of Terry Ryan than losing Hunter to free agency, or trading away Santana as they should get a great deal in return for him.Also, no way are the Rockies losing Helton. WTF is going to take on his contract for a guy that the last three years has hit 20, 15 and 17 hr's in about 1,600 ab's? I actually think trading Atkins makes a bunch of sense for this team. They need another pitcher or two...and Atkins would bring in a very, very nice return and open a spot for Stewart.Look for the Astros to make a big push this offseason. Major resigning of Brad Ausmus already.....who could possibly be next?

are u crazy
That's why you resign Pettite, trade Hughes, cash and Cabrera for Johan, sign one of the big CF's and go into next year with your staffSantanaPettiteChamberlainKennedyand Cano,Jeter,Atkins as 3/4 of the IF and Abreu, Rowand and Matusi/Damon as your OF
Id rather move Cano to 3B and sign Orlando Hudson. Or trade a prospect or 2 for Figgins. But thats just me.

The local beat writers in Minneapolis are not saying much about Santana at this time, of course all the talk has been about the new ballpark, the thought has been that Santana will be the key player to open the park, but you never can tell what the Twins will do to save a buck. The hot rumor in Minny is that Hunter is going to sign with the Yankees for 5 years 90M :goodposting: If Hunter gets 90M, I shutter to think what Santana will command when he is a free agent.
That's pretty steep for Hunter. I heard Rowand's agent is asking for 6 years 84 million which I think is absolutely bonkers too.I think the Twins should move Santana. He's great, but the Twins have a lot of decent arms and doubtfully can afford to keep him.

As a Red Sox fan, I'd love to see him come to Boston. I'd give up Lester and Crisp for Santana in a heartbeat...although I'd see if I could deal another piece away and keep Bucholz.

I have to think Santana is going to move to a major market team (LA, NY, Boston). Twins are going to be hurt a lot more by the loss of Terry Ryan than losing Hunter to free agency, or trading away Santana as they should get a great deal in return for him.

Also, no way are the Rockies losing Helton. WTF is going to take on his contract for a guy that the last three years has hit 20, 15 and 17 hr's in about 1,600 ab's? I actually think trading Atkins makes a bunch of sense for this team. They need another pitcher or two...and Atkins would bring in a very, very nice return and open a spot for Stewart.

Look for the Astros to make a big push this offseason. Major resigning of Brad Ausmus already.....who could possibly be next?
:rolleyes: Obviously you would. The Twins would laugh at that deal. Any deal for Santana would have to include Buckholtz just like any deal with the Yanks would have to include Hughes or Chamberlain.

That's pretty steep for Hunter. I heard Rowand's agent is asking for 6 years 84 million which I think is absolutely bonkers too.I think the Twins should move Santana. He's great, but the Twins have a lot of decent arms and doubtfully can afford to keep him. As a Red Sox fan, I'd love to see him come to Boston. I'd give up Lester and Crisp for Santana in a heartbeat...although I'd see if I could deal another piece away and keep Bucholz. I have to think Santana is going to move to a major market team (LA, NY, Boston). Twins are going to be hurt a lot more by the loss of Terry Ryan than losing Hunter to free agency, or trading away Santana as they should get a great deal in return for him.Also, no way are the Rockies losing Helton. WTF is going to take on his contract for a guy that the last three years has hit 20, 15 and 17 hr's in about 1,600 ab's? I actually think trading Atkins makes a bunch of sense for this team. They need another pitcher or two...and Atkins would bring in a very, very nice return and open a spot for Stewart.Look for the Astros to make a big push this offseason. Major resigning of Brad Ausmus already.....who could possibly be next?
I think Minnesota would need Bucholz to make that deal. Lester and Crisp doesnt get it done. The rumor is the Yankees are putting a deal together around Hughes for Santana.

The local beat writers in Minneapolis are not saying much about Santana at this time, of course all the talk has been about the new ballpark, the thought has been that Santana will be the key player to open the park, but you never can tell what the Twins will do to save a buck. The hot rumor in Minny is that Hunter is going to sign with the Yankees for 5 years 90M :rolleyes: If Hunter gets 90M, I shutter to think what Santana will command when he is a free agent.
That's pretty steep for Hunter. I heard Rowand's agent is asking for 6 years 84 million which I think is absolutely bonkers too.I think the Twins should move Santana. He's great, but the Twins have a lot of decent arms and doubtfully can afford to keep him.

As a Red Sox fan, I'd love to see him come to Boston. I'd give up Lester and Crisp for Santana in a heartbeat...although I'd see if I could deal another piece away and keep Bucholz.

I have to think Santana is going to move to a major market team (LA, NY, Boston). Twins are going to be hurt a lot more by the loss of Terry Ryan than losing Hunter to free agency, or trading away Santana as they should get a great deal in return for him.

Also, no way are the Rockies losing Helton. WTF is going to take on his contract for a guy that the last three years has hit 20, 15 and 17 hr's in about 1,600 ab's? I actually think trading Atkins makes a bunch of sense for this team. They need another pitcher or two...and Atkins would bring in a very, very nice return and open a spot for Stewart.

Look for the Astros to make a big push this offseason. Major resigning of Brad Ausmus already.....who could possibly be next?
:) Obviously you would. The Twins would laugh at that deal. Any deal for Santana would have to include Buckholtz just like any deal with the Yanks would have to include Hughes or Chamberlain.
I said I would throw in something else with those two. How about Eric Gagne :goodposting:

yeah I know about Helton, but I'd really be nice if they could. But I agree about Atkins.

I think Minnesota would need Bucholz to make that deal. Lester and Crisp doesnt get it done. The rumor is the Yankees are putting a deal together around Hughes for Santana.
:rolleyes: Dont get me wrong. Having Santana would clearly make us better but I just wanted to watch Hughes develop before my own eyes. Its fun watching youngsters develop into stars.

are u crazy
I dont think Hughes and Cabrera gets it done. Bucholz and Crisp is on par with that and if the Sox throw in Lester, thats a better offer. You might be overrating Cabrera. Their hitting stats are very similar and Crisp is a Gold Glove caliber CF.

are u crazy
I dont think Hughes and Cabrera gets it done. Bucholz and Crisp is on par with that and if the Sox throw in Lester, thats a better offer. You might be overrating Cabrera. Their hitting stats are very similar and Crisp is a Gold Glove caliber CF.
Coco is a slightly better hitter and better fielder but makes 3mil and is 4 years older. I think their value is similar.

are u crazy
Coco is a slightly better hitter and better fielder but makes 3mil and is 4 years older. I think their value is similar.
I think that is what I said. Hughes and Cabrera for all intents and purposes = Buckholz and Crisp. If the Sox add Lester, thats a way better deal from the Sox.

Hughes, cash and Cabrera for Johan
:mellow:
:thumbup: my favorite shtick on this board is the crappy trade shtick.
While not quite enough, that is not a terrible offer. I hate the Yanks, but apparantly Hughes has huge potential. If you are asking Hughes and Cano value in a deal, it will soon be the half way mark and Santana will lose a big chunk of value... so what are you willing to compromise for, or would you prefer he just walk after the season?

Hughes, cash and Cabrera for Johan
:no:
:no: my favorite shtick on this board is the crappy trade shtick.
I prefer The D-Rays are a couple of years away.
That's only shtick to those who are clueless.Darth > hey
Sure they are little shaver... sure they are. You still sore over that Cano/Weeks ownage?
They're probably closer to long-term success than the ARod-less Yanks are. And at $200 million less. :lmao:

Lester does not impress me. I wouldn't be all that sad to see him go. Buckholz pitched a gem of a game in that no-hitter, but his numbers weren't that fantastic in AAA. I guess now is the best time to trade him....his value will probably never be higher. I like Coco, but it is apparent that Ellsbury is the starting CF next year.It's a decent package. I think it would certainly make the Twins think about it.
Buckhholz started 8 games in AAA . In those last 5 games he didn't allow more than 2 ERs and for those 8 stats his whip was 1.16 and he averaged 12.6k/9 . Not bad numbers for a guy with 246 minor league innings under his belt.

moops is obviously clueless...Buchholz can be argued to be the top pitching prospect in baseball.

That is a lot to give up for Santana, and obviously wouldn't happen without an extension. That said, I am extremely high on Santana and if it came to that, with a reasonable extension, then I do it

The local beat writers in Minneapolis are not saying much about Santana at this time, of course all the talk has been about the new ballpark, the thought has been that Santana will be the key player to open the park, but you never can tell what the Twins will do to save a buck. The hot rumor in Minny is that Hunter is going to sign with the Yankees for 5 years 90M :unsure: If Hunter gets 90M, I shutter to think what Santana will command when he is a free agent.
I do think the Twins can keep Santana and pay him what he wants with the funds that will generated by the new ball park we are building, they are already taking reservations on seats, and a new park will be a big draw for at least two years, Ryan made some good moves/trades for the twins but some not so great ones too, Signing White from Detroit as a FA is an example of a not so good move, The question is the Twins ownership/management is being taken over by Owners kids, no one knows if they will be agressive with the money for talented players or milk the new ball park hype and field a poor team. If the Twins trade Santana they not going to do it for a bunch of high priced players, I think it will be for young, highly rated/talented prospects. The new management and G.M. + new ball park will have more to do with Santan being a Twin then anything else IMO. I never thought the T-Wolves would trade KG, so you never know how this will shake out.

moops is obviously clueless...Buchholz can be argued to be the top pitching prospect in baseball.That is a lot to give up for Santana, and obviously wouldn't happen without an extension. That said, I am extremely high on Santana and if it came to that, with a reasonable extension, then I do it
:thumbdown:Santana is the best pitcher in baseball. Even if Buchholz was the top prospect in the league (he is not), you trade potential for a superstar everyday. John Lester is going to be a decent pitcher. A #4 on a good team probably. Clay Buchholz has a minute chance at being 90% of Johan Santana. Coco Crisp is a gold glove outfielder who has had 2 terrible years at the plate.I think it is a good deal for both sides. A potential ace in Clay, a good middle of the road young lefty, and an excellent defensive center fielder.And obviously none of this is even being discussed unless Santana is signed to an extension.

moops is obviously clueless...Buchholz can be argued to be the top pitching prospect in baseball.That is a lot to give up for Santana, and obviously wouldn't happen without an extension. That said, I am extremely high on Santana and if it came to that, with a reasonable extension, then I do it
:lmao:Santana is the best pitcher in baseball. Even if Buchholz was the top prospect in the league (he is not), you trade potential for a superstar everyday. John Lester is going to be a decent pitcher. A #4 on a good team probably. Clay Buchholz has a minute chance at being 90% of Johan Santana. Coco Crisp is a gold glove outfielder who has had 2 terrible years at the plate.I think it is a good deal for both sides. A potential ace in Clay, a good middle of the road young lefty, and an excellent defensive center fielder.And obviously none of this is even being discussed unless Santana is signed to an extension.
you look at this trade without consideration for future years of service multiplied by salary.That is where you are wrongly assessing things...

Users who are viewing this thread