What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)

1 pound of pork sausage (edited - I use 2 pounds of pork sausage now)

3 large onions chopped

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods)

1 small can of tomato paste

1 can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

36 oz of good amber beer (I used Fat Tire)

1 shot of Jack Daniels

34 oz of beans (optional - I used dark kidney beans)

Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside.

In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour.

You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup.

Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it. (don't do this shortcut unless you absolutely have to)

Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time.

Garnish with green onion and cheese. (Edit, for max flavor cook a day ahead and let the flavors come together overnight in the fridge.  Reheat and enjoy some great chili)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good judge. That's pretty close to what I use. What kind of difference do you think you get rehydrating the dried chiles? I use fresh chiles and roast them. I'll use the dried chiles to grind and make home made chile powder. Never thought of trying to reverse the process and rehydrate dried chiles.

Another key is using chunks of beef like the stew meat. Nothing ruins chili faster than ground beef. I also like to add some baker's chocolate.

It's about that time of year.

J

Sausage? That is processed meat! Beer? Poison!!!

Why are you posting death recipes??? :P

That looks like a damn good recipie, except for one thing.....beans are not optional...they have no business in chili. If you put the beans in, you have now made a fine stew or soup, but not chili. :P
Really? I've always had beans in chili, but never in stew. :lmao:

Shouldn't there be a Lhucks post in here to make it official?

That looks like a damn good recipie, except for one thing.....beans are not optional...they have no business in chili. If you put the beans in, you have now made a fine stew or soup, but not chili. :lmao:
Really? I've always had beans in chili, but never in stew. :(
Me too. I like chili with beans in it.
Regional thing...generally North = beans, South = no beans. Especially in Texas, beans in chili is a no-no. My mom was born in Michigan and always made her chili with beans in it until some of the ladies took her aside and told her, "We don't do that here." lol

That looks like a damn good recipie, except for one thing.....beans are not optional...they have no business in chili. If you put the beans in, you have now made a fine stew or soup, but not chili. :confused:
Really? I've always had beans in chili, but never in stew. :shrug:
Regional thing...generally North = beans, South = no beans. Especially in Texas, beans in chili is a no-no. My mom was born in Michigan and always made her chili with beans in it until some of the ladies took her aside and told her, "We don't do that here." lol
This is true everywhere in the South, except New Orleans, I think. New Orleanians put red beans in chili because we love red beans.

That looks like a damn good recipie, except for one thing.....beans are not optional...they have no business in chili. If you put the beans in, you have now made a fine stew or soup, but not chili. :bs:
Really? I've always had beans in chili, but never in stew. :thumbup:
This is true everywhere in the South, except New Orleans, I think. New Orleanians put red beans in chili because we love red beans.
Very true....worst thing for my waistline ever was discovering cajun/creole cooking from my in-laws who lived in Louisiana for years. Red beans and rice, boudin, jambalaya, gumbo, etouffee, crawfish....and on and on....for my money, the best family of cuisine anywhere! If you guys want to put beans in your chili---knock yourselves out.

people who get all uppity about beans in chili make me chuckle. sorry, didn't realize you got your associates degree in chili Dr. :rollseyes:

people who get all uppity about beans in chili make me chuckle. sorry, didn't realize you got your associates degree in chili Dr. :rollseyes:
lol, you're right of course...I prefer my chili without beans in it, but I'm not going to actually make a big deal out of it though. Some of the chili cookoffs down here are hysterical. I have seen judges refuse to even try chili if it has beans in it. I mean jeez it's not like someone tried to put mayonaise in the olive relish for a muffalata or something....(little nod to the Louisiana folks there).

The whiskey is key -- adds a certain richness to the chili. I think when my wife makes it she uses more than a shot, though.

The whiskey is key -- adds a certain richness to the chili. I think when my wife makes it she uses more than a shot, though.
This may be the key. I've never put Jack Daniels in chili before. My wife thought this chili had a certain richness and depth, like a high quality cacciatore (not the best analogy, but I get it).Joe, I've never rehydrated chilis like this either. Roasting may work just as well, or better. But this worked. I gotta tell ya, during the process I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out. It looked like a ton of onions. Wasn't sure about sausage vs. just ground pork (or any pork at all). Wasn't sure about using paste and tomato soup? instead of crushed tomatoes. Mixture almost looked brown for a long time, even after putting the tomato based stuff in. Seemed like it would be too little tomato flavor based on the recipe. But you have to trust it. This comes out beautifully - your group will be wowed.

This may be the key. I've never put Jack Daniels in chili before. My wife thought this chili had a certain richness and depth, like a high quality cacciatore (not the best analogy, but I get it).Joe, I've never rehydrated chilis like this either. Roasting may work just as well, or better. But this worked. I gotta tell ya, during the process I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out. It looked like a ton of onions. Wasn't sure about sausage vs. just ground pork (or any pork at all). Wasn't sure about using paste and tomato soup? instead of crushed tomatoes. Mixture almost looked brown for a long time, even after putting the tomato based stuff in. Seemed like it would be too little tomato flavor based on the recipe. But you have to trust it. This comes out beautifully - your group will be wowed.
I've typically used baker's chocolate and a bit of brown sugar to get that depth.

I've typically used baker's chocolate and a bit of brown sugar to get that depth.
How much bakers chocolate would you use in the above recipe? Sweetened or unsweetened (or is it all unsweetened)?

I used a half cup of whiskey to my recent recipe and that had 4 pounds of meat. I also used a 1/4 cup of honey instead of brown sugar. As for chocolate, I only used an ounce or 2 for about 4 lbs of meat.

I used a half cup of whiskey to my recent recipe and that had 4 pounds of meat. I also used a 1/4 cup of honey instead of brown sugar. As for chocolate, I only used an ounce or 2 for about 4 lbs of meat.
Sound about right for chocolate addition. I might try the honey instead of the brown sugar next time.

Got this from an amigo who made this at his big poker game - got rave reviews. Tried it tonight. Best I've ever made/had. I didn't take any of the shortcuts - the flavor is phenomenal. Served with warm cornbread and a cold Fat Tire. Trust me when I tell you how good this meal was.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are ½ to ¼ inch size (got a nice pack of USDA Choice from Costco)

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

1 can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

1 shot of Jack Daniels

Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain and then puree the chilis. Set aside.

In a large stock pot heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 24 oz beer, Jack, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. Then add beans and cook another ½ hour.

You can substitute 28 oz of canned plum tomatoes with the juice for the tomato paste and soup.

Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it.

Since the meat is chopped already it is only about 30 min prep time. 2 hour cook time.

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
cant wait to try this but what is a Fat Tire?

That looks like a damn good recipie, except for one thing.....beans are not optional...they have no business in chili. If you put the beans in, you have now made a fine stew or soup, but not chili. :unsure:
Really? I've always had beans in chili, but never in stew. :lmao:
I'm in Memphis and we make fun of our one friend who doesn't eat beans in his chili. When his wife makes chili she has to make two pots - one w/o beans for him and one w/beans for everyone else.

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

1 pound of pork sausage

3 large onions chopped

1 can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TS of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

1 shot of Jack Daniels

Another short cut is to use chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s – 5 TB to ½ cup of chili powder should do it.

Garnish with green onion and cheese.
cant wait to try this but what is a Fat Tire?
Microbrew produced be New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins, CO. It's a mild tasting but rich, Red Amber.

That looks like a damn good recipie, except for one thing.....beans are not optional...they have no business in chili. If you put the beans in, you have now made a fine stew or soup, but not chili. :goodposting:
Really? I've always had beans in chili, but never in stew. :whoosh:
It's often a Texas thing. Most chili purists will say no beans. No way. I'm ok with that line of thought.But I also like beans in chili so I'm cool if you want to go that way too.J

That looks like a damn good recipie, except for one thing.....beans are not optional...they have no business in chili. If you put the beans in, you have now made a fine stew or soup, but not chili. :boxing:
Really? I've always had beans in chili, but never in stew. :shrug:
It's often a Texas thing. Most chili purists will say no beans. No way. I'm ok with that line of thought.But I also like beans in chili so I'm cool if you want to go that way too.J
I am a bean in my chili person, but I take it light. Some people put in way too many.

Sounds good.

What is the spiciness factor of this?

The wife is not huge on spicy...neither is the 3 year old.

And damn that is alot of meat...there are only 3 of us so I may have to fraction it up a bit.

Im currently perfecting my own White Chicken Chilli. The first effort was tasty...but still needs some work.

Sounds good.What is the spiciness factor of this?The wife is not huge on spicy...neither is the 3 year old.And damn that is alot of meat...there are only 3 of us so I may have to fraction it up a bit.Im currently perfecting my own White Chicken Chilli. The first effort was tasty...but still needs some work.
I don't know about this exact recipie, but the one my wife and I use is similar and we make the whole batch and then freeze it in portions. It freezes really well and then when you get a hankerin' for some chili you don't have to do all of the prep work and cooking again.

Sounds good.What is the spiciness factor of this?The wife is not huge on spicy...neither is the 3 year old.And damn that is alot of meat...there are only 3 of us so I may have to fraction it up a bit.Im currently perfecting my own White Chicken Chilli. The first effort was tasty...but still needs some work.
I don't know about this exact recipie, but the one my wife and I use is similar and we make the whole batch and then freeze it in portions. It freezes really well and then when you get a hankerin' for some chili you don't have to do all of the prep work and cooking again.
Good point.Depending on the spiciness I may have to split it into 2 pots.She prefers beans too, and Im a no bean in my chile guy (except the chicken chile)Plus, I prefer to kick mine up a bit with some more heat.

My middle daughter can't handle the heat factor and she loved it. Can add cayenne separately, or other heat inducing condiments, for those that like it spicy. This is not make you sweat, clear your nostrils chili. You can make it that way though..

If it wasn't 75 degrees outside this would definitely be a chili weekend for me. Can't wait to try this out.

Users who are viewing this thread