What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (1 Viewer)

Can someone explain why the pork sausage? Whats the difference between pork sausage vs ground beef?

New Mexico Chilies (pods), can these be found in the same section as peppers. Like habenero peppers? If I can't find them, is there a substitute?

Thanks
Hi fs,

The pork sausage just has a different taste. And it's probably fattier. (which is good in chile... :mellow: )

For the chile pods, they may be wherever the mexican food section of your grocery is. Not in the vegetable / fresh produce section. They are the dried up shriveled looking red chiles. It does work pretty well boiling them in beer to rehydrate them. If you can't find them, I often will use fresh chiles that are in the produce section. And roast them under the broiler in the oven or on the grill. Let them get blackened and then run them under cool water and the skin will peel off. Chop up and throw in the chili.

J
Joe - question re: the bolded above.Should i be putting this on the top rack near the broiler, or towards the bottom..or does it matter. I just don't want to burn them too much.

Thanks
Top rack. Point is to char the skin. Charring the skin will separate it from the flesh. Then it will sweat in the bag and peel off. I deseeded mine, but for more heat, leave them in.

Can someone explain why the pork sausage? Whats the difference between pork sausage vs ground beef?

New Mexico Chilies (pods), can these be found in the same section as peppers. Like habenero peppers? If I can't find them, is there a substitute?

Thanks
Hi fs,

The pork sausage just has a different taste. And it's probably fattier. (which is good in chile... :thumbup: )

For the chile pods, they may be wherever the mexican food section of your grocery is. Not in the vegetable / fresh produce section. They are the dried up shriveled looking red chiles. It does work pretty well boiling them in beer to rehydrate them. If you can't find them, I often will use fresh chiles that are in the produce section. And roast them under the broiler in the oven or on the grill. Let them get blackened and then run them under cool water and the skin will peel off. Chop up and throw in the chili.

J
Joe - question re: the bolded above.Should i be putting this on the top rack near the broiler, or towards the bottom..or does it matter. I just don't want to burn them too much.

Thanks
Top rack. Point is to char the skin. Charring the skin will separate it from the flesh. Then it will sweat in the bag and peel off. I deseeded mine, but for more heat, leave them in.
Thanks.. what bag are u referring to

My "original" recipe, meaning what I did the first time I cooked it:Prepare the day of 8 qt pot or larger is needed.2 hour prep time. 2 hour cook time.-------------------------------Ingredients:1/3 Cup of Olive Oil1.5 pounds of "chuck roast" – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)3 pounds of pork sausage – uncase the sausage before cooking - used 1.5 lb hot and 1.5 lb mild sausage3 large onions chopped - make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down12 cloves of garlic minced5 large Poblano peppers1 regular sized can of tomato paste1 regular sized can of tomato soup1 tsp of cayenne pepper 2 tsp oregano2 tablespoons of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt14.5 oz of beef broth2 bottles of amber beer - used 1 Bass (for the peppers) and 1 Newcastle (for the cook)1 shot of Jim Beam Black1 square (1 oz) baker’s chocolate1 can beans - used red kidney beansSour creamShredded cheese for garnishDirections:Rehydrate the peppers in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then mince very very finely, until nearly a green paste. Set aside.In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne, and the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of beer, Jim Beam, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1.5 hours. Add beans, and cook for additional 0.5 hour until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering) Add a little bit of sour cream and cheese. Serve.
Tweaked offdee's recipe above for my last cook. Today's variations:- cut down on the garlic (not because I wanted to, but because I thought I had more garlic but it had gotten mold on it :X ) - used ~7 cloves- 3.5 pounds of sausage today: 1.25 lbs hot sausage, 1.25 lbs mild sausage, 1 lb Andouille sausage. Hope this one goes ok, the Andouille was a beef/pork mix and was a lot more, well, gelatinous when uncased (I cubed it, roughly the same size as the chuck), but it did not brown the same way the other pork sausage did- 6 Poblano peppers- 2 tsp cayenne pepper- Beer: used 1 Newcastle for the peppers and 1 Guinness Draught for the cookSimmering now...it was fun to tweak the recipe a bit...we'll see what happens...
Wow....I thought the first batch was good....this was even better.Considerably more heat with the 2x cayenne pepper, and the Andouille added a little bit of almost smoky flavor to it. I'm sure the Guinness helped with that as well. I wanted it a little bit spicier, and this was just delicious.
Think I'll go this route next time :thumbup:

Made this with a less than stellar amber beer and IMO it really affects the depth of flavor. I was able to add a little bourbon barrel stout to make up for the thin amber I used so it seems ok. Just wanted to emphasize to make sure you get quality ingredients.

Making it again today for our Saints party out here in Arizona. The smell is making us all crazy.
Man, I hope the Saints D play in the 1st half doesn't make 'em chock on my chili.Making a batch later today for tomorrow's games. May experiment a little with the andouille sausage and maybe the baker's chocolate. Will report back.

Thanks
Hi fs,

The pork sausage just has a different taste. And it's probably fattier. (which is good in chile... :D )

J

Thanks
Thanks.. what bag are u referring to
Sorry. Just saw this. ziplock bag as Joe mentioned earlier. Can also use a bowl and plastic wrap. The steam does the work.

Started prepping at 5:30. Just got it simmering. 3hrs total, and my GF chopped all the meat (a little over 3lbs).Quick notes:Used a large skillet for all the browning. Did the onions and garlic in a batch; dumped in the simmer pot that had the broth.Pork; pot3 batches of meat; pot My paste is HOT!. Decided to just make a bunch of it and save it to use as a hot sauce. Problem with that is now I'm not sure if I used enough or too much. After tasting the roasted peppers I decided they were too awesome to not use more of them so I scratched throwing in fresh ones and roasted more. Also figured that when I do use fresh ones they take much longer to soften. With a 2hr simmer I didn't think it was enough time. Was really hesitant to use the chocolate, but went for it. I think I'll be glad I did. Almost cut the chocolate dose in half. Then I tasted it. I never had baker's chocolate. That stuff is not chocolate. Chocolate could sue that stuff and make a fortune. It is very bitter. I was afraid of it being sweet and milky/creamy. After tasting it I put the whole ounce in. Another side note for the people that asked: I don;t see how honey or brown sugar can be substituted for baker's chocolate. Also, after tasting the paste I'm not sure how much the amber brought to the table after straining it. I think that paste might be even better if I added some garlic and onions into the blend. Maybe even something sweet there. Didn't use the crockpot. I'll use that to reheat tomorrow. Smells great.
BTW, I won my little xmas chili cookoff. It was too spicy for a few people which made it perfect for those of us who are tired of mild chili. A friend ate 5 freaking bowls. Everyone was pretty wowed. Smails, go for the baker's chocolate. I was really hesitant, but went with it. It leaves no sign of "chocolate". One taste of the stuff before you use it will assure you of that. It is really bitter stuff. I still have a lot of my paste left. Used some to make some fried rice a week ago. :D

OK, so I have the batch on, been simmering for an hour. No shortcuts. Fat Tire, Jack, rehydrated New Mexico Chili's, the whole bit. Did make a few tweaks:

Wanted to try a different meat. So when I went to Costco I went with 4 lbs of choice Tri Tip instead of the stew meat (next time I'll try flank steak just to judge all 3 meat options myself). I wanted a smoky flavor, so smoked it with Mesquite chips until medium rare. (No rub/seasoning - just wanted the smoke flavor). I wanted to go with 1 pound of regular pork sausage and 1 pound of andouille, but Whole Foods for the first time in 20 visits they didn't have andouille. So, butcher talked me into a pound of pork Italian Jalapeno sausage. Said has great flavor but not real spicy. He's never done me wrong, so went with it. Also added the 1 oz of baker's chocolate. Adding the red beans in 10 minutes. Smells absolutely phenomenal. My 15 year old yellow lab won't sit his ### down - drivin' him crazy.

Some of the boys comin' over tomorrow. Will start out with a platter of wings. Then will have all sorts of options for the chili, which should be awesome on day 2 with all of the flavors fully coming together. They can have straight chili. Add green onions and cheese. Fritos for those so inclined. 2 kinds of cornbread - honey/butter and jalepeno/cheddar for those wanting some kick. And Costco 1/4 beef dogs for those that want a legendary chili dog. Lots of beer.

My daughter loves to bake, so brought home fixin's for Peach Cobbler and Apple Crisp a la mode for dessert.

Guests tomorrow will leave fat and happy. Just need the Packers/Eagles game to live up to the hype. Will report back after final tasting.

OK, so I have the batch on, been simmering for an hour. No shortcuts. Fat Tire, Jack, rehydrated New Mexico Chili's, the whole bit. Did make a few tweaks:Wanted to try a different meat. So when I went to Costco I went with 4 lbs of choice Tri Tip instead of the stew meat (next time I'll try flank steak just to judge all 3 meat options myself). I wanted a smoky flavor, so smoked it with Mesquite chips until medium rare. (No rub/seasoning - just wanted the smoke flavor). I wanted to go with 1 pound of regular pork sausage and 1 pound of andouille, but Whole Foods for the first time in 20 visits they didn't have andouille. So, butcher talked me into a pound of pork Italian Jalapeno sausage. Said has great flavor but not real spicy. He's never done me wrong, so went with it. Also added the 1 oz of baker's chocolate. Adding the red beans in 10 minutes. Smells absolutely phenomenal. My 15 year old yellow lab won't sit his ### down - drivin' him crazy.Some of the boys comin' over tomorrow. Will start out with a platter of wings. Then will have all sorts of options for the chili, which should be awesome on day 2 with all of the flavors fully coming together. They can have straight chili. Add green onions and cheese. Fritos for those so inclined. 2 kinds of cornbread - honey/butter and jalepeno/cheddar for those wanting some kick. And Costco 1/4 beef dogs for those that want a legendary chili dog. Lots of beer. My daughter loves to bake, so brought home fixin's for Peach Cobbler and Apple Crisp a la mode for dessert.Guests tomorrow will leave fat and happy. Just need the Packers/Eagles game to live up to the hype. Will report back after final tasting.
QUIT MESSING WITH PERFECTION :goodposting: (i kid....going home with a venison version, then a lamb version on my list)

OK, so I have the batch on, been simmering for an hour. No shortcuts. Fat Tire, Jack, rehydrated New Mexico Chili's, the whole bit. Did make a few tweaks:Wanted to try a different meat. So when I went to Costco I went with 4 lbs of choice Tri Tip instead of the stew meat (next time I'll try flank steak just to judge all 3 meat options myself). I wanted a smoky flavor, so smoked it with Mesquite chips until medium rare. (No rub/seasoning - just wanted the smoke flavor). I wanted to go with 1 pound of regular pork sausage and 1 pound of andouille, but Whole Foods for the first time in 20 visits they didn't have andouille. So, butcher talked me into a pound of pork Italian Jalapeno sausage. Said has great flavor but not real spicy. He's never done me wrong, so went with it. Also added the 1 oz of baker's chocolate. Adding the red beans in 10 minutes. Smells absolutely phenomenal. My 15 year old yellow lab won't sit his ### down - drivin' him crazy.Some of the boys comin' over tomorrow. Will start out with a platter of wings. Then will have all sorts of options for the chili, which should be awesome on day 2 with all of the flavors fully coming together. They can have straight chili. Add green onions and cheese. Fritos for those so inclined. 2 kinds of cornbread - honey/butter and jalepeno/cheddar for those wanting some kick. And Costco 1/4 beef dogs for those that want a legendary chili dog. Lots of beer. My daughter loves to bake, so brought home fixin's for Peach Cobbler and Apple Crisp a la mode for dessert.Guests tomorrow will leave fat and happy. Just need the Packers/Eagles game to live up to the hype. Will report back after final tasting.
2 questions:For a bit of a shortcut (and it's pretty damn tough to smoke on a normal charcoal grill here when it's 5 degrees outside and snowing) could you use liquid smoke vs smoking the tri tip?And I really really want to know how the baker's chocolate affected the taste and if it's better, worse or just different. TIA.

Found some dried chiles (Chile de arbol) today in the store....assume these will suffice?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/440721073_b5296c496c.jpg
Arbol are much hotter than the larger chiles that you typically find in stores (New Mexico, Ancho, etc.), so I'd adjust amounts accordingly. NewMex and Ancho really have no heat, but Arbol's have quite a bit.Personally, I wouldn't use Arbol in this type of recipe. The amount you'd have to use to get some good chile flavor would probably be way to hot for most palates. NewMex/Ancho type chiles allow you to get alot of flavor with no heat. Arbol's are nice to use to add heat, but I wouldn't use them for the bulk of the chile flavor. I'd use them like a cayenne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found some dried chiles (Chile de arbol) today in the store....assume these will suffice?

Arbol are much hotter than the larger chiles that you typically find in stores (New Mexico, Ancho, etc.), so I'd adjust amounts accordingly. NewMex and Ancho really have no heat, but Arbol's have quite a bit.Personally, I wouldn't use Arbol in this type of recipe. The amount you'd have to use to get some good chile flavor would probably be way to hot for most palates. NewMex/Ancho type chiles allow you to get alot of flavor with no heat.
Yep, the chillies that are suggested for this are much more about the flavor than the heat.Just made a big batch yesterday. Used a few bottles of New Castle Brown Ale, 15 roasted and skinned Anaheim chilies, double the garlic, 3 lbs. stew meat and 3lbs. left over shredded pork, and previously made green chili sauce to add more heat and flavor. :thumbup:

Arbol are much hotter than the larger chiles that you typically find in stores (New Mexico, Ancho, etc.), so I'd adjust amounts accordingly. NewMex and Ancho really have no heat, but Arbol's have quite a bit.Personally, I wouldn't use Arbol in this type of recipe. The amount you'd have to use to get some good chile flavor would probably be way to hot for most palates. NewMex/Ancho type chiles allow you to get alot of flavor with no heat.
Yep, the chillies that are suggested for this are much more about the flavor than the heat.Just made a big batch yesterday. Used a few bottles of New Castle Brown Ale, 15 roasted and skinned Anaheim chilies, double the garlic, 3 lbs. stew meat and 3lbs. left over shredded pork, and previously made green chili sauce to add more heat and flavor. :tumbleweed:
I'm green with envy. The selection of fresh chiles is quite limited here, year round (Japs and Serranos mostly), but the thought that there are people roasting Anaheim's in January makes me incredibly jealous.

Arbol are much hotter than the larger chiles that you typically find in stores (New Mexico, Ancho, etc.), so I'd adjust amounts accordingly. NewMex and Ancho really have no heat, but Arbol's have quite a bit.Personally, I wouldn't use Arbol in this type of recipe. The amount you'd have to use to get some good chile flavor would probably be way to hot for most palates. NewMex/Ancho type chiles allow you to get alot of flavor with no heat. Arbol's are nice to use to add heat, but I wouldn't use them for the bulk of the chile flavor. I'd use them like a cayenne.
thx. I'll try to go back and switch them out with something more mild

No need to switch them. Throw them in with the milder ones for some heat. I used dried Arbols, Jalapenos, Piquins, and I think Seraanos too along with the very mild New Mexicans.

If they have any dried chile that's pretty large, it'll probably be mild and good for this. A California chile is almost identical to a New Mexico and it's even milder (We don't get many New Mexico's around here, but we have alot of Cali).Ancho or Guajillo chiles would also work well in a pinch.

tipsy mcstagger said:
Judge Smails said:
QUIT MESSING WITH PERFECTION :rolleyes: (i kid....going home with a venison version, then a lamb version on my list)
Best batch yet. Unbelievable. Crowd from kids to adults raved about it. Had cayenne and Louisiana hot sauce next to the pot so people could kick it up as they see fit. The tri tip was great. Cut in smaller pieces, and it melted in your mouth like butter. Smoky flavor was key. I may try flank steak next time but thinking it's not a thick enough cut, so betting tri-tip will be the meat of choice going forward. I like the mix of 4 pounds of meat and 2 pounds of sausage. Couldn't put my finger about what the baker's chocolate added, but the flavor was so good, with many dimensions, that I'd have to guess it helped. Definitely didn't hurt. We made 2 rounds of corn bread - one honey butter and one jalapeno/cheddar. Just take a wedge, sit it in the big bowl of red and get a bite of both in each spoonful. Amazing.FYI - we actually made a whole day of it. Lunch was Costco 1/4 pound chili cheese dogs with just the "gravy" from the chili (no meat). A little diced red onion - perfect. Then everyone had a big bowl when the Packer/Eagle game was over. Feeling fat and happy right now. Glad I went to the gym beforehand. Now, where are my Tums? Need a pre-emptive strike.Next batch will be for the Superbowl party.

I'm jealous. Good call on Super Bowl. I'm not sure I can wait that long.

QUIT MESSING WITH PERFECTION :goodposting: (i kid....going home with a venison version, then a lamb version on my list)
Best batch yet. Unbelievable. Crowd from kids to adults raved about it. Had cayenne and Louisiana hot sauce next to the pot so people could kick it up as they see fit. The tri tip was great. Cut in smaller pieces, and it melted in your mouth like butter. Smoky flavor was key. I may try flank steak next time but thinking it's not a thick enough cut, so betting tri-tip will be the meat of choice going forward. I like the mix of 4 pounds of meat and 2 pounds of sausage. Couldn't put my finger about what the baker's chocolate added, but the flavor was so good, with many dimensions, that I'd have to guess it helped. Definitely didn't hurt. We made 2 rounds of corn bread - one honey butter and one jalapeno/cheddar. Just take a wedge, sit it in the big bowl of red and get a bite of both in each spoonful. Amazing.FYI - we actually made a whole day of it. Lunch was Costco 1/4 pound chili cheese dogs with just the "gravy" from the chili (no meat). A little diced red onion - perfect. Then everyone had a big bowl when the Packer/Eagle game was over. Feeling fat and happy right now. Glad I went to the gym beforehand. Now, where are my Tums? Need a pre-emptive strike.Next batch will be for the Superbowl party.
:shrug:

I traditionally make a chili with more veggies/beans, but have used this original recipe the last few weeks. This week, I made a hybrid, so I used the original recipe and added 3 bell peppers and 3 cans of beans.....it's solid :bag:

I smoked a chuck roast and it definitely adds another level of flavor.

QUIT MESSING WITH PERFECTION :confused: (i kid....going home with a venison version, then a lamb version on my list)
I smoked a chuck roast and it definitely adds another level of flavor.
I'll be smoking the meat when I enter the chili into my companies chili cook-off(about 500 employees, 8 entries last year). This sounds like a great dimension given to the chili.

My "original" recipe, meaning what I did the first time I cooked it:Prepare the day of 8 qt pot or larger is needed.2 hour prep time. 2 hour cook time.-------------------------------Ingredients:1/3 Cup of Olive Oil1.5 pounds of "chuck roast" – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)3.5 pounds of sausage – uncase the sausage before cooking - used 1.25 lb hot, 1.25 lb mild sausage, 1 lb Andouille (pork/beef mix3 large onions chopped - make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down6 cloves of garlic minced5-6 large Poblano peppers1 regular sized can of tomato paste1 regular sized can of tomato soup2 tsp of cayenne pepper 2 tsp oregano2 tablespoons of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt14.5 oz of beef broth2 bottles of amber beer - used 1 Bass/Newcastle (for the peppers) and 1 Newcastle/Guinness (for the cook)1 shot of Jim Beam Black1 square (1 oz) baker’s chocolate1 can beans - used red kidney beansSour creamShredded cheese for garnishDirections:Rehydrate the peppers in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then mince very very finely, until nearly a green paste. Set aside.In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne, and the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of beer, Jim Beam, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1.5 hours. Add beans, and cook for additional 0.5 hour until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering) Add a little bit of sour cream and cheese. Serve.
Today's variations:- 5 Poblano peppers- 1 bottle Bass for the peppers, 1 bottle Long Trail Hibernator for the cook. I would've preferred to use a stout, but I didn't have a "throwaway" stout in the apartment at the moment. Hopefully the Hibernator (scotch ale) provides the malt sweetness that the Guinness did.- 1 square unsweetened baker's chocolate. I'm a bit worried about this. I used a sweetened square both times before, but we only have unsweetened here at the moment. Hope for the best.

Just finished and it's sitting on the stove simmering.

Couple notes:

Since it was so nice out today, I smoked the stew meat outside in my box smoker for 20 minutes. The house smells incredible right now.

Used Gentleman Jack instead of regular Jack Daniels.

Fat Tire Amber beer was used to rehydrate the California chilies and put in the chili near the end.

This chili will be entered in my works chili cookoff on monday.

So, reading thru this thread again and I see this chili has been entered in at least 4 competitions. No wins. As legendary as this chili is(I agree it is), maybe we're missing a piece to the puzzle?

Two, maybe three where local culinary politics distorts a win, but 4?

So, reading thru this thread again and I see this chili has been entered in at least 4 competitions. No wins. As legendary as this chili is(I agree it is), maybe we're missing a piece to the puzzle?

BTW, I won my little xmas chili cookoff. It was too spicy for a few people which made it perfect for those of us who are tired of mild chili. A friend ate 5 freaking bowls. Everyone was pretty wowed.

I read through this thread a while back and don't remember seeing this answered so forgive me if it's already been covered.

Approximately how many people will this feed?

BTW, I won my little xmas chili cookoff. It was too spicy for a few people which made it perfect for those of us who are tired of mild chili. A friend ate 5 freaking bowls. Everyone was pretty wowed.
Dang! Sorry Sebowski! How'd I miss that???

I read through this thread a while back and don't remember seeing this answered so forgive me if it's already been covered.Approximately how many people will this feed?
7-8 really hungry people, 10-12 with other food available.

Dang! Sorry Sebowski! How'd I miss that???
I definitely tweaked the recipe. Took a little of what everyone said in here then made it extra spicy using different peppers, both dry, and fresh roasted. Also added my "bacon bay leaf" idea I came up with last time I made chili. Next time I think I'll through in some diced red peppers. One day I want to try putting in diced potatoes. If I use the waxiest kind they might not turn to mush.

This thread is making me hungry. As luck would have it, I jumped off the vegetarian bandwagon a month or two ago. Before I come to my senses - or lose them again, you decide - I am going to get a mini-Weber and throw down a couple of flank steaks (charred but rare, sliced and shredded just so) and re-evaluate my chili recipe. Also need to track down a fresh supply of chile pequins; I'm running low and the grocery stores are no longer useful. Even the local Mexican bodega gave me the "huh?" treatment when it came to the little pellets of heavenly heat. ... another day goes by and I still miss San Antonio.

This thread is making me hungry. As luck would have it, I jumped off the vegetarian bandwagon a month or two ago. Before I come to my senses - or lose them again, you decide - I am going to get a mini-Weber and throw down a couple of flank steaks (charred but rare, sliced and shredded just so) and re-evaluate my chili recipe. Also need to track down a fresh supply of chile pequins; I'm running low and the grocery stores are no longer useful. Even the local Mexican bodega gave me the "huh?" treatment when it came to the little pellets of heavenly heat. ... another day goes by and I still miss San Antonio.
I used almost a whole bag of those dried little guys.

I'll be smoking the meat when I enter the chili into my companies chili cook-off(about 500 employees, 8 entries last year).
Alright, here's how it is set up: There are several entries, each with the 'chefs' name attached to the crock pot. There is also these two people who had 'Skyline' chili from a restaurant in Cinncinati flown in. These two people are standing there thru the day telling people how much better their chili is than everyone elses.The whole thing is a bit shady...

I apologize if this is already on here, but does anybody know how many the original recipes serves? This chili sounds awesome.

Nevermind. Just looked up? :blackdot:

Super Bowl Bump.

Making this today for the festivities tomorrow. Can't wait for the sweet aroma to fill the house.

You know, ever since this chili, I can't stand chili anywhere else.

I like chili.

Played around with this recipe and used poblanos (roasted, peeled, seeded, minced), jalapenos (same), and anchos (rehydrated and pureed). Also used veal stock instead of beef broth and I added some heavily reduced chicory coffee (cafe du monde).

I tried to screw the pot afterwards.

Question about using sausage. I usually prefer to use the expensive non-fresh sausage (chorizo or andouille) they sell at gourmet food stores (usually $10-$15 per pound) rather than the fresh stuff they sell at meijer or whole foods. I'm wondering whether you have any tips about how to use them vs. using fresh sausage.

The fancy stuff is a lot more flavorful, but the texture is totally different (they are a lot drier, for instance).

Also, I don't have any Jack Daniels, so I've been using a single-malt (highland park 12 year). Is this a complete waste or will you indeed get a richer flavor (I can say the smell post-scotch is delicious).

Question about using sausage. I usually prefer to use the expensive non-fresh sausage (chorizo or andouille) they sell at gourmet food stores (usually $10-$15 per pound) rather than the fresh stuff they sell at meijer or whole foods. I'm wondering whether you have any tips about how to use them vs. using fresh sausage.
Just my opinion from when I made the recipe, but the entire point of the sausage is for the texture. I think a roll of Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean will work better for the recipe than a gournmet andouille. It should be something where the fat is incorporated pretty evenly through the sausage, and the texture of the meat should be lubricated.EDIT: By this I mean that a uniform distribution of fat is the transport vehicle for the chili flavor. I think you'd be hard pressed having a drier sausage pick up the other chili flavors. As the sausage is pretty much the "body" of the chili, I think you'll get another dish by using a drier product.

getting ready to fix up a pot of the good stuff for tomorrow myself...

trying the dried peppers for the first time. i usually use fresh but i'm out.

Just my opinion from when I made the recipe, but the entire point of the sausage is for the texture. I think a roll of Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean will work better for the recipe than a gournmet andouille. It should be something where the fat is incorporated pretty evenly through the sausage, and the texture of the meat should be lubricated.EDIT: By this I mean that a uniform distribution of fat is the transport vehicle for the chili flavor. I think you'd be hard pressed having a drier sausage pick up the other chili flavors. As the sausage is pretty much the "body" of the chili, I think you'll get another dish by using a drier product.
I agree with this.

Users who are viewing this thread