Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Judge Smails

Tried this chili recipe for the first time...

I'd like to make at least twice as much as this recipe does. What do I multiply times the qty listed and what do I not? I'm assuming the meat/beans go ratio but what about the rest?

You must have huge pots.Why wouldn't you double everything?
I'm not sure why you wouldn't double it all, either. I guess I have a huge pot, because I could triple this recipe and still have room. But the spoon to stir it would be short. Edited by SteevieG

I'd like to make at least twice as much as this recipe does. What do I multiply times the qty listed and what do I not? I'm assuming the meat/beans go ratio but what about the rest?

I've got a thirty quart pot, which I'm used to making chili in (to the brim). But I'm intrigued by this recipe because it's so different from what I'm used to.
I'd say you would probably triple everything. Not sure what you mean about multiplying some ingredients and not others. Cooking is all about ratios. You want the ratios all exactly the same so multiply every ingredient by the same number.Interesting that this is different than what you're used to. Where do you live?J

I've got a thirty quart pot, which I'm used to making chili in (to the brim). But I'm intrigued by this recipe because it's so different from what I'm used to.
With a 30 quart pot you could multiply everything by five or maybe even six.

The results are in and as expected... Fabulous.

I added the beans but did everything else to the OP recipe with a few minor changes like sausage and less beef.

My wife thought it was a little warm, but not too much. My son, his buddy and I all added some Franks to it and it was fantastic. The only issue I thought was the stew meat, which I cut to a smaller, sugar cubish size and browned separately, had a few pieces that were pretty tough. I'm not sure why. After 2 hours simmering in the pot I'd have thought they would be fall apart tender.

Thanks Judge and Offdee and everyone else who contributed. This is now my go to chili (not that I had one before, but...)

The results are in and as expected... Fabulous.

I added the beans but did everything else to the OP recipe with a few minor changes like sausage and less beef.

My wife thought it was a little warm, but not too much. My son, his buddy and I all added some Franks to it and it was fantastic. The only issue I thought was the stew meat, which I cut to a smaller, sugar cubish size and browned separately, had a few pieces that were pretty tough. I'm not sure why. After 2 hours simmering in the pot I'd have thought they would be fall apart tender.

Thanks Judge and Offdee and everyone else who contributed. This is now my go to chili (not that I had one before, but...)

Don't be worried about letting it simmer longer than 2 hours. I have left this recipe in my slow cooker overnight (longer even) and it is still excellent.

My chili seems VERY thick... I want to thin it out a bit, but don't want to ruin the flavor (it is amazing). Thoughts??? Here are a few ideas I thought of... Add another bottle of guinness, puree 4 tomatoes, or add more beef broth.

More beer. :thumbup:
:goodposting:Beer is your best bet IMO. The beef broth will add too much salt and the pureed tomatoes will add to much acid IMO

My chili seems VERY thick... I want to thin it out a bit, but don't want to ruin the flavor (it is amazing). Thoughts??? Here are a few ideas I thought of... Add another bottle of guinness, puree 4 tomatoes, or add more beef broth.

:goodposting:

Beer is your best bet IMO. The beef broth will add too much salt and the pureed tomatoes will add to much acid IMO

I agree that too much salt negatively impact the flavor profile of this recipe. I think beef stock is what this recipe calls for, which typically has minimal salt, whereas most store bought broths and bullion are packed with sodium. Stock is also far more nutrient dense because it is made from the beef bones, I think most broth is made from just the flesh, salt and seasonings. I am not quite sure how bullion is made nowadays in the ConAgra world, most of the cube is probably artificially created beef flavored substance but don't quote me on that.

ETA: At least this is how I understand the differences between stock, broth and bullion to be. There appears to be some debate on the issue.

Edited by Chaka

Beer is your best bet IMO. The beef broth will add too much salt and the pureed tomatoes will add to much acid IMO

I agree that too much salt negatively impact the flavor profile of this recipe. I think beef stock is what this recipe calls for, which typically has minimal salt, whereas most store bought broths and bullion are packed with sodium. Stock is also far more nutrient dense because it is made from the beef bones, I think most broth is made from just the flesh, salt and seasonings. I am not quite sure how bullion is made nowadays in the ConAgra world, most of the cube is probably artificially created beef flavored substance but don't quote me on that.

ETA: At least this is how I understand the differences between stock, broth and bullion to be. There appears to be some debate on the issue.

original post says 13oz of beef broth

Interesting. I love this recipe and have been using home made stock instead of broth. Glad I misread it. I would have added it the the thread as a suggested recipe modification had I realized it sooner. Edited by Chaka

Interesting. I love this recipe and have been using home made stock instead of broth. Glad I misread it. I would have added it the the thread as a suggested recipe modification had I realized it sooner.
i've only made it once..didn't follow it exactly, but it was still very good. But i would agree with you....you can always add salt later, and beef stock would add the flavor w/o the salt.

Interesting. I love this recipe and have been using home made stock instead of broth. Glad I misread it. I would have added it the the thread as a suggested recipe modification had I realized it sooner.
i've only made it once..didn't follow it exactly, but it was still very good. But i would agree with you....you can always add salt later, and beef stock would add the flavor w/o the salt.
Yup. I find salt is drastically overused in most cuisine. Salt is great but it quickly becomes a flavor masking agent instead of an enhancement to a dish.

BTW Props to Smails for starting this thread off. I came to this thread late, I made my first two batches on Aug 6th for a corporate golf tournament and have made four batches since then (two for the draft and two to freeze).

Great recipe Smails and props to all the contributors for some great suggestions (love the bakers chocolate btw JB).

I'd say you would probably triple everything. Not sure what you mean about multiplying some ingredients and not others. Cooking is all about ratios. You want the ratios all exactly the same so multiply every ingredient by the same number.Interesting that this is different than what you're used to. Where do you live?J
I'm from Maryland, but it's really not that. Both my mom & my ex made a heavily tomato-based chili sauce - lotsa puree, paste, and whole tomatoes. Then your basic spices. Smails' recipe has a lot of stuff I've never put into chili before (like the beer).What I meant about the ratio is that, for instance, boiling the chilis in 12 oz of beer. If I triple the amount of chilis do I need to triple the amount of beer I boil them in?I don't MIND buying 3 times as much beer, mind you - can always drink the excess. :banned: Edited by Uruk-Hai

BTW Props to Smails for starting this thread off. I came to this thread late, I made my first two batches on Aug 6th for a corporate golf tournament and have made four batches since then (two for the draft and two to freeze).Great recipe Smails and props to all the contributors for some great suggestions (love the bakers chocolate btw JB).

Thx - agree on some of the suggestions - I added the bakers chocolate myself with my last batch..

The results are in and as expected... Fabulous.I added the beans but did everything else to the OP recipe with a few minor changes like sausage and less beef. My wife thought it was a little warm, but not too much. My son, his buddy and I all added some Franks to it and it was fantastic. The only issue I thought was the stew meat, which I cut to a smaller, sugar cubish size and browned separately, had a few pieces that were pretty tough. I'm not sure why. After 2 hours simmering in the pot I'd have thought they would be fall apart tender.Thanks Judge and Offdee and everyone else who contributed. This is now my go to chili (not that I had one before, but...)

My suggestion--Get a chuck roast instead of stew meat. The stew meat is really some of the worst parts of the meat. Get yourself a full chuck roast and cut it into cubes. The taste is phenomenally better and the meat is much more tender.

I'm from Maryland, but it's really not that. Both my mom & my ex made a heavily tomato-based chili sauce - lotsa puree, paste, and whole tomatoes. Then your basic spices. Smails' recipe has a lot of stuff I've never put into chili before (like the beer).What I meant about the ratio is that, for instance, boiling the chilis in 12 oz of beer. If I triple the amount of chilis do I need to triple the amount of beer I boil them in?I don't MIND buying 3 times as much beer, mind you - can always drink the excess. :banned:
I see. For the multiplying, yes, triple everything. It's not as critical for something like the amount of liquid you'll use to boil as that doesn't go into the recipe. But you'll likely need that much more liquid if you have that much more chiles. Good luck.J

May have been answered, don't have time to read all 23 pages. I have to make this tomorrow night.

How in the world is this enough tomato paste/sauce? Does it turn out very thin and brothy? I mean, 6 pounds of meat and just 1 can each of tomato soup and paste?

Somebody learn me on this.

May have been answered, don't have time to read all 23 pages. I have to make this tomorrow night.How in the world is this enough tomato paste/sauce? Does it turn out very thin and brothy? I mean, 6 pounds of meat and just 1 can each of tomato soup and paste?Somebody learn me on this.

I always think the same thing when I make this recipe. Last time after I finished adding the ingredients, I took one look in the pot and then got a can of crushed tomatoes out and at the ready, assumed I would be adding some as it reduced. Never did. Gotta trust Smails.

May have been answered, don't have time to read all 23 pages. I have to make this tomorrow night.How in the world is this enough tomato paste/sauce? Does it turn out very thin and brothy? I mean, 6 pounds of meat and just 1 can each of tomato soup and paste?Somebody learn me on this.

Just follow the recipe. It works. Brilliantly.

I always think the same thing when I make this recipe. Last time after I finished adding the ingredients, I took one look in the pot and then got a can of crushed tomatoes out and at the ready, assumed I would be adding some as it reduced. Never did. Gotta trust Smails.

Just follow the recipe. It works. Brilliantly.
Will do. Have to trust the FBGenius. Thanks, Smails.

Was gonna do this last weekend but got sidetracked, so am trying it either tonight or tomorrow. Went to the grocery store last night to load up. They didn't have the NM Chilis but had Mexican. Is that ok? Do I need to do anything different with those than the NM chilis? Also, when I rehydrate the chilis do I wait a while before I start the boil?

Was gonna do this last weekend but got sidetracked, so am trying it either tonight or tomorrow. Went to the grocery store last night to load up. They didn't have the NM Chilis but had Mexican. Is that ok? Do I need to do anything different with those than the NM chilis? Also, when I rehydrate the chilis do I wait a while before I start the boil?

The chilis should be fine. Just be careful if they are too hot (spicy). I just put the beer on and in a minute or so throw the chilis in. Be careful with your pan that you don't overcook and they burn and stick to the bottom.

The chilis should be fine. Just be careful if they are too hot (spicy). I just put the beer on and in a minute or so throw the chilis in. Be careful with your pan that you don't overcook and they burn and stick to the bottom.
Thanks, O. I have no idea how hot the chilis I bought are in comparison. Guess we'll find out......

Thanks, O. I have no idea how hot the chilis I bought are in comparison. Guess we'll find out......
Mexican chiles is pretty vague, I don't think that is a specific variety. My guess is that it would contain NM, Anaheim, Pasilla, Poblano etc. chile varieties which are all pretty close in heat. Are they large or small? Edited by Chaka

Mexican chiles is pretty vague, I don't think that is a specific variety. My guess is that it would contain NM, Anaheim, Pasilla, Poblano etc. chile varieties which are all pretty close in heat. Are they large or small?
Maybe 3" or 4" long and a dark purple/almost-black color.

Mexican chiles is pretty vague, I don't think that is a specific variety. My guess is that it would contain NM, Anaheim, Pasilla, Poblano etc. chile varieties which are all pretty close in heat. Are they large or small?
Maybe 3" or 4" long and a dark purple/almost-black color.
Yeah. Most likely NM, Anaheim, Pasilla or possibly a Poblano (but those are usually more wide than long when dried). You'll be fine with those.

Well, I'm ###-deep in it now. Like an idiot, I am making a triple batch - so 3x everything. It's gonna be fine, but I don't have the proper equipment and utensils to make it easy on myself. Electric stove ain't the best for trying to regulate with a 30 qt pot. On top of that, the damned power's been going on and off all morning - we're having a snow storm here.

In any case, right now I've got the (15 friggin lbs of) stew meat browning. Getting set to add the beer, soup, etc...

Where I varied from the recipe:

1. Used hot Italian sausage instead of pork sausage.

2. Split the salt 50/50 with Old Bay

3. I didn't cut the stew cubes into smaller (1/2 to 1/4") cubes. Got too lazy.

My biggest suggestion so far would be to get the garlic cloves already shelled and separated. I bought whole garlics and they are a PITA to prep. My hands got so sticky I kept having to stop to wash my hands so I could handle the knife.

Ok, I'll report back in a bit. All questions and derisions are welcome.

eta:

Variation #4: used Crown Royal instead of Jack. Not a "look at me!", just what I had in the house.

Edited by Uruk-Hai

Prepare the day of 8 qt pot or larger is needed.2 hour prep time. 2 hour cook time.-------------------------------Ingredients:1/3 Cup of Olive Oil1.5 pounds of "chuck roast" – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)3.5 pounds of pork sausage – uncase the sausage before cooking - used 1.25 lb hot and 1.25 lb mild sausage, 1 lb andouille (usually a beef/pork mix)3 large onions chopped - make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down12 cloves of garlic minced5 large Poblano peppers1 regular sized can of tomato paste1 regular sized can of tomato soup2 tsp of cayenne pepper 2 tsp oregano2 tablespoons of dried cumin2 bay leaves½ tsp of black pepper2 tsp of salt14.5 oz of beef broth2 bottles of beer - used 1 brown ale (Newcastle) for the peppers and 1 stout (Guinness Draught) for the cook1 shot of Jim Beam Black1 square (1 oz) baker’s chocolate - semi-sweet (used unsweetened and I think it negatively affected the flavor1 can beans - used red kidney beansSour creamShredded cheese for garnishDirections:Rehydrate the peppers in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then mince very very finely, until nearly a green paste. Set aside.In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne, and the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of beer, Jim Beam, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 1.5 hours. Add beans, and cook for additional 0.5 hour until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering) Add a little bit of sour cream and cheese. Serve.

Here is my tweaked version after 4-5 cooks.I don't think we have any bay leaves and I couldn't find em at the store yesterday, so I'll have to go without them today. No shredded cheese either, but that's not a huge deal.The last cook I did, I used unsweetened baker's chocolate and I think it may have negatively affected things. My last cook was probably the worst batch I've ever made...it wasn't awful, but wasn't as good as earlier incarnations.ETA - also, slight sausage variation today. 1.5 lb hot pork sausage, 1.5 lb mild pork sausage, and about 0.5 lb andouille. Edited by Steve Tasker

Steve, is that a 5 qt recipe like the Judge's? Just wanna know how much to multiply everything by the next time I go insane and try to feed the world :bag:

Steve, is that a 5 qt recipe like the Judge's? Just wanna know how much to multiply everything by the next time I go insane and try to feed the world :bag:

Yeah it's the same "size" as the original recipe, just with some tweaks I've made after a few cooks.

FWIW, I've gone to a 4 lb chuck roast and 2 lb pork sausage meat ratio. I think it's the best of the different combos I've tried. I usually do 1 lb of italian sausage meat and 1 lb of chorizo meat to get to the 2 lb sausage total. I was also very generous with the spices my last time (did more heaping servings) and found it to be significantly improved as well. I wouldn't hesitate to increase all of those amounts.

FWIW, I've gone to a 4 lb chuck roast and 2 lb pork sausage meat ratio. I think it's the best of the different combos I've tried. I usually do 1 lb of italian sausage meat and 1 lb of chorizo meat to get to the 2 lb sausage total. I was also very generous with the spices my last time (did more heaping servings) and found it to be significantly improved as well. I wouldn't hesitate to increase all of those amounts.

So the chorizo works well? I've always been worried to try because of the fat content.

So the chorizo works well? I've always been worried to try because of the fat content.
I used chorizo too, and it was delicious

I think the fat content is why it works so well. When I made it with it last time, it was easily my best batch.

I think the fat content is why it works so well. When I made it with it last time, it was easily my best batch.
Interesting. I wonder how it'd work with andouille. I'm not so good with flavor pairings/combinations. Would this be a bad thing? Maybe I could ditch the andouille for chorizo next time.

Ya know....I made this tonight verbatim, I mean EXACTLY per the recipe. This to me was like a soup or stew. Kept waiting for it to reduce down to a chili consistency, but even simmering for 4 hours it was like a soup. My idea of chili is always a thick mash of stuff, not watery. I went back and re-read the list of ingredients and measurements, but I had it exactly as specified. Am I wrong in my assumption of chili? The only chili I've ever made has been in the crock pot, and it is always THICK.

Not hating, guess I just like a thick chili.

My biggest suggestion so far would be to get the garlic cloves already shelled and separated. I bought whole garlics and they are a PITA to prep. My hands got so sticky I kept having to stop to wash my hands so I could handle the knife.

Just a helpful hint when attempting to peel more than a couple of cloves:Take two largish bowls that are @ the same size as one another. Metal or Pyrex bowls ideally. Break the heads of garlic into individual cloves, but not peeled. Take all of it and put it into one bowl, invert the other bowl on top (so you have a dome bowl) and shake the #### outta it for a handful of seconds.Look inside and, viola, peeled garlic. :thumbup:

Ya know....I made this tonight verbatim, I mean EXACTLY per the recipe. This to me was like a soup or stew. Kept waiting for it to reduce down to a chili consistency, but even simmering for 4 hours it was like a soup. My idea of chili is always a thick mash of stuff, not watery. I went back and re-read the list of ingredients and measurements, but I had it exactly as specified. Am I wrong in my assumption of chili? The only chili I've ever made has been in the crock pot, and it is always THICK. Not hating, guess I just like a thick chili.

:shrug: this is funny because I usually have the exact opposite problem. I almost always have to add a little extra beer because it is too thick. i think there have been several people in this thread say their's was too thin, but i have never had that problem.

Ya know....I made this tonight verbatim, I mean EXACTLY per the recipe. This to me was like a soup or stew. Kept waiting for it to reduce down to a chili consistency, but even simmering for 4 hours it was like a soup. My idea of chili is always a thick mash of stuff, not watery. I went back and re-read the list of ingredients and measurements, but I had it exactly as specified. Am I wrong in my assumption of chili? The only chili I've ever made has been in the crock pot, and it is always THICK. Not hating, guess I just like a thick chili.

I always make this chili the day before I'm gonna eat it. Overnight, in the fridge, it always soaks up most of the liquid, and always turns out terrific. Took a batch to a Halloween party today that I made last night. Fantastic.

Interesting. I wonder how it'd work with andouille. I'm not so good with flavor pairings/combinations. Would this be a bad thing? Maybe I could ditch the andouille for chorizo next time.
I've made this recipe with both. Never had any complaints with either. Mostly comes down to personal preference - though I prefer chorizo

I always make this chili the day before I'm gonna eat it. Overnight, in the fridge, it always soaks up most of the liquid, and always turns out terrific. Took a batch to a Halloween party today that I made last night. Fantastic.
100% agree that making this a day ahead is the way to go. Flavors come together 10X better on day 2. And if for whatever reason your chili doesn't have the consistency you like, thin or thicken as necessary. Not a big deal.

Quick note - as mentioned above, the peeling garlic trick works great. Video here

Made a batch last night using smoked pork loin that I had.

Here's what I'm doing these days:

2 TBS bacon grease

3 pounds smoked pork loin – chopped to ½ pieces

1 pound of pork sausage (I used just regular ground pork last night and it was fine)

3 large onions chopped

1 entire head of garlic minced (about 10-12 cloves)

about 12 large dried New Mexico Chilies (double handful)

1 small can of tomato paste

1 tsp of cayenne pepper

2 tsp oregano

2 TBS dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

3 cups beef broth (I used homemade stock made from the BBQ pork shoulder blade bones last night.)

36 oz of Shiner Bock beer

1 oz unsweetened baking chocolate

3 TBS Sweet Spicy Love Rub

Rehydrate the chilis in 12 oz of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Remove stems but leave seeds. Pour beer from steamed chilis into blender with chiles. Add 2nd beer and puree fine. May have to add more beer to get it out of blender.

Used 8 dried chiles in mix of Gaujillo, Pasillo and Ancho plus 4 or 5 hatch chiles.

In a large stock pot heat the bacon grease. Add the onions and cook over med heat until soft. About 15-20 minutes. Add garlic and cook a few minutes more. Remove onions and garlic. Add sausage and cook until mostly browned. Remove sausage.

To browned pork, add onion and garlic mix. Add oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne, chili puree, 12 oz beer, stock, tomato paste, chocolate, sweet spicy love rub, pork loin and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer uncovered for 1-1/2 hours until it has a chili like consistency.

That looks good Joe. I will give a small warning about ground pork. I have run across some that are insanely salty. It ruined the chili. So check the sodium content before buying just any ground pork.

Some people think that chili is runny. I think that is soup. I will try this tomorrow. Edited by SHIZNITTTT

Some people think that chili is runny. I think that is soup. I will try this tomorrow.
The simplest way is to wait till the end to add the last beer and the beef stock. If it looks too thin, just add less liquid.For my recipe above, it's definitely thick and chili like.Another thing lots of people do is add masa or finely ground corn flour to thicken it. J

Some people think that chili is runny. I think that is soup. I will try this tomorrow.
The simplest way is to wait till the end to add the last beer and the beef stock. If it looks too thin, just add less liquid.For my recipe above, it's definitely thick and chili like.Another thing lots of people do is add masa or finely ground corn flour to thicken it. J
One other thing - and I doubt any of the culinary experts haven't done it - when in "simmer" mode, take the lid off and let it cook down. That releases the moisture so it's not so runny. I think I took the lid off after about 30 minutes.

Tomorrow is our last home game of the season, so I'm making a batch of this stuff tonight for tailgating. This was a gigantic hit last year -- not just the usual run-of-the-mill compliments that people feel obliged to make but genuine awe at how good this recipe is -- so I have to use it as my grand finale.

I second the recommendation to simmer it a little with the lid off. That, combined with some flour, makes this come out perfectly for me. It's still a slightly "stew-ier" consistency than my usual easy go-to chili recipe, but it's still clearly in the realm of what people expect from a chili.