What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tried this chili recipe for the first time... (1 Viewer)

So I made it.

I ended up using about 15oz of condensed soup, I forgot to drain the chilis before pureeing, so it was a little extra liquidy, which caused me to cook it for about 1.5 hours longer than I had hoped to.

I tried it this morning, wow.

Thank you.

Sneaked a spoonful after getting all ingredients to a simmer, I had to sit down. This recipe is FANTASTIC!!! I only used 3 lbs. of stew meat and upped the pork sausage to 2 lbs. I really enjoy tomatoes, so I substituted soup and paste for the 28 oz. diced tomatoes. I thought it would not be enough, but TRUST IT!!!

Made my first batch of the year today, as I had several families over for a get together, watch games, etc. Actually made it last night before going to bed so I could relax today. Plus, flavors set in much better. People RAVED. Man was it good. It didn't hurt that one guest brought two types of corn bread - original with honey butter and also jalapeno corn bread muffins.

I'd be interested to see from people who have done the original recipe then tried variations (chocolate, etc) whether there is anything that actually makes the original better. Hard for me to think of any tweaks this chili needs.

I just grilled a Costco dog, used a little of the chili. Best chili dog EVAH.

Judge Smails said:
Made my first batch of the year today, as I had several families over for a get together, watch games, etc. Actually made it last night before going to bed so I could relax today. Plus, flavors set in much better. People RAVED. Man was it good. It didn't hurt that one guest brought two types of corn bread - original with honey butter and also jalapeno corn bread muffins. I'd be interested to see from people who have done the original recipe then tried variations (chocolate, etc) whether there is anything that actually makes the original better. Hard for me to think of any tweaks this chili needs.I just grilled a Costco dog, used a little of the chili. Best chili dog EVAH.
Elihu, if you could get the recipes for those two corn breads, this thread would go from already epic to a Jim Brown / Barry Sanders level of epic. TIA.

Judge Smails said:
Made my first batch of the year today, as I had several families over for a get together, watch games, etc. Actually made it last night before going to bed so I could relax today. Plus, flavors set in much better. People RAVED. Man was it good. It didn't hurt that one guest brought two types of corn bread - original with honey butter and also jalapeno corn bread muffins. I'd be interested to see from people who have done the original recipe then tried variations (chocolate, etc) whether there is anything that actually makes the original better. Hard for me to think of any tweaks this chili needs.I just grilled a Costco dog, used a little of the chili. Best chili dog EVAH.
What's the best way to reheat the next day? I am going to try making this for my first time, but then the next day I need to travel about an hour. Any suggestions?

Judge Smails said:
What's the best way to reheat the next day? I am going to try making this for my first time, but then the next day I need to travel about an hour. Any suggestions?
Crock pot.

Judge Smails said:
Bring an extra amber beer and maybe some of the beef broth with you to bring it back to the right consistency after it dries out a bit.

Bring an extra amber beer and maybe some of the beef broth with you to bring it back to the right consistency after it dries out a bit.
I just put the crock pot on low for a few hours and was good to go (by the way, the recipe as is perfectly fills one large crock pot). I didn't need to add any liquid. Matter of fact, had to thicken slightly to get the right consistency.

Made this yesterday for a church chili cookoff. It was terrific (though it didn't win).

The Fat Tire might have been a little strong for a Southern Baptist chili contest, though. :(

I got a few wink and nods from the partakers.

The Third said:
Made this yesterday for a church chili cookoff. It was terrific (though it didn't win).The Fat Tire might have been a little strong for a Southern Baptist chili contest, though. :thumbup:I got a few wink and nods from the partakers.
I made this for my wifes Chili cook off.....shes a teacher(it didn't win)I told her the fix must have been inShe then had 4 people stop by her room to ask about the recipe. overall, a big crowd pleaser.

The Third said:
Made this yesterday for a church chili cookoff. It was terrific (though it didn't win).The Fat Tire might have been a little strong for a Southern Baptist chili contest, though. :excited:I got a few wink and nods from the partakers.
I made this for my wifes Chili cook off.....shes a teacher(it didn't win)I told her the fix must have been inShe then had 4 people stop by her room to ask about the recipe. overall, a big crowd pleaser.
I had the same response. There were 24 entries so actually winning was a complete crapshoot. But everyone that ate it raved about it.

Taking this to the Vikings vs Cardinals game this weekend. This will be batch #2 but the last batch got rave reviews from a small audience. :thumbup:

Also, last time I used Bud Light as the beer and this time have the Fat Tire. That should be a big improvement already. Decided to do a pound of spicey ground pork and am going to grill a pound of Spicey Pork Sausages to cut up and drop in the mix near the end. Never saw an answer about how much bakers chocolate or honey that people have tried??

Last edited by a moderator:
my wife makes pretty good chili from time to time

I think I'll pull a fast one and do the Smail's chili as my "first attempt at chili" and see what she says

I have made this recipe a couple of times. It is awesome. It is from Robb Walsh's book on Tex-Mex.

Robb Walsh is a celebrated food writer and winner of two James Beard awards. He has traveled the globe sampling the world's culinary phenomena and commenting on both the food and the cultures behind the dishes. He really warms to his subjects in both Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook and The Tex-Mex Cookbook. There's just no place like home.
Truck Stop ChiliHere's a more elaborate diner-style chili made with bacon and chipotles. It tastes great all by itself, over tamales, with a side order of beans, or as an enchilada sauce for Truck Stop Enchiladas.1/4 pound bacon3 pounds trimmed beef brisket, cut into 1/4-inch cubes1 pound onions, chopped1-1/2 tablespoons ground cumin3-1/2 tablespoons chili powder2 teaspoons paprika1 teaspoon dried Mexico oregano1 teaspoon ground black pepper1/2 teaspoon dried thyme1/2 teaspoon salt4 large garlic cloves, mincedOne 13.75-ounce can beef brothOne 28-ounce can plum tomatoes in purée2 dried chipotle chilesCook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove the bacon and reserve. Over high heat, brown the beef in the bacon drippings left in the skillet and set the meat aside. Over medium heat, sauté the onions in the remaining drippings for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned.Toast the cumin in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute or until fragrant.Add the toasted cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, black pepper, thyme, salt, and garlic to the cooked onions and sauté for 1 minute. Crumble in the bacon, add the beef broth, 1 cup water, tomatoes, chiles, and the beef. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover partially, and simmer for 3 hours or until the meat is very tender, adding water as needed to maintain the desired consistency.

What great timing for this thread to bump up--I'll be picking up about 50# of venison this morning and had chili in mind for some! :)

Ahh good bump, I forgot to reply after I made this last Friday. First of all I would like to say I don't cook. Get me on a grill and I'll grill you anything, get me on a stove and I am lost. My palet consists of eggs, hamburger helper and mac and cheese.

So I venture out to buy all this stuff, I get the JD and fat tire. I get a 4.5lb package of meat at Cotsco. I then go to the grocery store to get the rest. The only thing for pork I could find was ground pork and got a 1.5lbs of that. I find most of the stuff except the tomato paste, bay leaves and chilies. Well the paste is not in the same aisle as the soup and I finally found the bay leaves. I got regular cans of paste and soup. I did not find the chilis so I bought one anaheim pepper and one pablano pepper. My wife does not like things too hot so I tried to hold back on these. If I was making this for myself I would've upped the heat a bit and threw in some jalapenos too. I ended up with one can of dark kidney and one can of chili beans.

So I get home and first pour me a jd and coke and start by blackening the peppers, peel and cut and set aside. I then start cutting up the onions and in a minute my eyes are going crazy. I get a great idea, yes ski goggles. So I'm sitting in my kitchen cutting onions with ski goggles on. This is taking forever and I get through the second onion and am thinking this is too much onion. So I ended up leaving about 3/4 onion out which I shouldn't have done, yes you need all three onions. I also had to go online to lookup how to mince garlic. :confused:

I follow the rest of the recipe basically dead on. I had to cut up the meat into smaller pieces. I poured in the cans of tomato as is and only used two beers (should used three as recipe says). Everything is cooking and looking good. I then drain the beans and put those in. At the end of it all it tasted pretty good. The stew meat kind of overpowers the pork, will probably go half and half next time. The only thing that didn't look right was it ended up more of a stew as it was thick.

So next time I will use all three onions, three full beers, and won't drain the beans. I will probably spice it up a bit too.

Edit: also a 5qt pot will not do, I started with one and halfway through found out no way it would be big enough, Found some big pot in the back of the closet.

Taking this to the Vikings vs Cardinals game this weekend. This will be batch #2 but the last batch got rave reviews from a small audience. <_<

Also, last time I used Bud Light as the beer and this time have the Fat Tire. That should be a big improvement already. Decided to do a pound of spicey ground pork and am going to grill a pound of Spicey Pork Sausages to cut up and drop in the mix near the end. Never saw an answer about how much bakers chocolate or honey that people have tried??
I'm not a whiskey drinker, so I didn't want to buy the JD just to throw in a shot. I used baker's chocolate instead. I ended up using half of a big bar of the unsweetened variety. I think I could have used a little more, but it seemed to blend pretty nicely. Having only made it this one time, though, it is hard to tell what impact the chocolate had on the overall taste. If I had it to do over, I would go with only 1 Fat Tire, increase the beef broth to 36 oz., and up the pork sausage to 1 1/2 lbs.

Also, I cut my stew meat into smaller pieces to make sure it didn't turn out too tough or chunky.

my wife makes pretty good chili from time to timeI think I'll pull a fast one and do the Smail's chili as my "first attempt at chili" and see what she says
Making it right now! I'm halving the recipe. Just went into the 1.5hr simmer phase.I used Bud American Ale as my beer. Never had it before, not bad.I couldn't find regular pork sausage so I'm using spicy pork italian sausage.Everything else is according the recipe (in half).I want to add chocolate though. When do I add it? I'm guessing when I put the beans in.

Almost done. Looking very promising.

Added 1oz of unsweetened bakers chocolate and 1tsp honey

Didn't seem to have much spice so I sprinkled in some more cayenne

The chili was very good. Very beefy.. Definitely a gut bomb.

I'll use it as my base recipe but I'd like to figure out some ways to make it taste unique. Personally would like more of a tomato taste. Will probably substitute stewed tomatoes for the beef broth next time.

I'm planning on making this Friday night for a Saturday gathering. I went through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb gathering questions, feedback, suggestions on making it better, etc. Below is the original recipe with changes in bold based on this thread compilation that I'll be cooking up this week. Lookin' forward to tasting the end result!

---------------------

Prepare the day prior to serving (better melding of flavor the day after)

When reheat the day after pour ½ bottle-full bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

8 qt pot or larger is needed.

30 min. prep time. 2 hour cook time.

-------------------------------

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

1.5 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased. (or if like it spicier, 2lbs spicy pork sausage and 1lb chorizo sausage)

3 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

6 cloves of garlic minced

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) – Anaheim or Pablano, any large mild chile works fine (shortcut is to use ½ cup of chili powder instead of chilies)

1 regular sized can of tomato paste

1 regular sized can of tomato soup

1 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

2 tsp oregano

2 tablespoons of dried cumin

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

3 bottles of amber beer (use 2 bottles in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

1 shot of Jack Daniels (Jim Beam also works)

1 ounce baker’s chocolate

Green onion for garnish

Shredded cheese for garnish

Directions:

Rehydrate the chilis in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then puree the chilis. (use a blender to puree the chilis). Set aside.

[A short cut is to use ½ cup chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s]

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of amber beer, Jack Daniels, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering)

Garnish with green onion and cheese.

I'm planning on making this Friday night for a Saturday gathering. I went through this entire thread with a fine tooth comb gathering questions, feedback, suggestions on making it better, etc. Below is the original recipe with changes in bold based on this thread compilation that I'll be cooking up this week. Lookin' forward to tasting the end result!

---------------------

When reheat the day after pour ½ bottle-full bottle of amber beer to unthicken a bit.

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

3 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased.

3 large onions chopped (make sure to use all 3 onions even though it looks like too much, they cook down)

5-6 large dried New Mexico Chilies (pods) – Anaheim or Pablano, any large mild chile works fine (shortcut is to use ½ cup of chili powder instead of chilies)

1 tsp of cayenne pepper (if like more spice, use more. Can also add to personal bowl after done cooking)

2 tsp oregano

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

3 bottles of amber beer (use 2 bottles in initial cook. Use add’l 1 bottle for when reheating the day after)

Green onion for garnish

Directions:

Rehydrate the chilis in 1 bottle of beer. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min. Strain out the beer and then puree the chilis. (use a blender to puree the chilis). Set aside.

[A short cut is to use ½ cup chili powder instead of rehydrating the dried chili’s]

In a large stock pot (8 qt. Pot or larger) heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over med heat for 5 min. Uncover and bring the heat to high and brown for another 5 min. Add the garlic and cook another for 1-2 min until fragrant. Add the cumin and add the pork. Stir until the meat browns. Add the beef, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne and brown until most of the redness is gone. Add the chili puree, 1 bottle of amber beer, Jack Daniels, beef broth, tomato paste, tomato soup, bakers chocolate and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then simmer for 2 hours until it has a chili like consistency. (make sure to keep uncovered while simmering)

These changes, including the extra beer the next day,the 3/3 stew/sausage ratio, cutting the stew meat down to sugar-cubed size, the chocolate, and Beam instead of Jack, are exactly what I do. Are you sure you weren't peeking through my window this weekend?I feel like we should all chip in and buy Smails an Xmas present for bringing this stuff to us. Maybe a nice hat or a new driver.

These changes, including the extra beer the next day,the 3/3 stew/sausage ratio, cutting the stew meat down to sugar-cubed size, the chocolate, and Beam instead of Jack, are exactly what I do. Are you sure you weren't peeking through my window this weekend?
:bag:

Thanks for posting the results. I was going to go through the thread again myself, but you saved me the time. :goodposting:

I'm making this for a church youth group event this Friday. As such, I don't think that it would be a great idea to use beer even though the alcohol will all cook out. Any ideas for a substitution there? Just more beef broth? I was thinking of maybe some apple juice or sparkling apple juice to cut in some sweetness into the beef broth.

I'm making this for a church youth group event this Friday. As such, I don't think that it would be a great idea to use beer even though the alcohol will all cook out. Any ideas for a substitution there? Just more beef broth? I was thinking of maybe some apple juice or sparkling apple juice to cut in some sweetness into the beef broth.
As you said, the alcohol will cook out. Absolutely no reason not to use beer.

Sure there is. All it takes is one uptight parent to get their panties in a bunch and I'd be in hot water. And since I'm looking to get my teaching certificate in the future, that would not bode well. Even if I'm totally in the right, that doesn't mean that I still wouldn't lose against an irrational parent flying off the handle.

Sure there is. All it takes is one uptight parent to get their panties in a bunch and I'd be in hot water. And since I'm looking to get my teaching certificate in the future, that would not bode well. Even if I'm totally in the right, that doesn't mean that I still wouldn't lose against an irrational parent flying off the handle.
Couldn't you just use nonalcoholic beer, then? Obviously it doesn't matter in terms of alcohol content, but that way you'd have a defense if an uptight parent complained.I think O'Douls makes an Amber beer.

Couldn't you just use nonalcoholic beer, then? Obviously it doesn't matter in terms of alcohol content, but that way you'd have a defense if an uptight parent complained.I think O'Douls makes an Amber beer.
That might work. I'll have to check that. Thanks!

Has anybody made this recipe in a slow cooker/crock pot? How long should it cook?
You really do need the stove to complete the first few steps.I made a batch on the stove, then warmed it up for a chili cookoff. It simmered for 3 hours, and it came out perfect.

Made this tonight. I added 2 cans of black beans, an extra 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes, 4 chopped jalapenos, and a tsp of unsweetened cocoa. Turned out absolutely amazing. Thanks Judge Smails.

---------------------

Ingredients:

1/3 Cup of Olive Oil

3 pounds of stew meat – make sure the pieces are cut into smaller cubes, about the size of a sugar cube. (Do not use ground beef)

3 pounds of medium-spicy pork sausage – pork sausage is ground pork with mixed in seasonings. Get it uncased.

2 tsp oregano

2 bay leaves

½ tsp of black pepper

2 tsp of salt

13 oz of beef broth

Green onion for garnish

Directions:

Made this last night almost to the T of the above recipe.....had a couple of spoonfuls as it was cooking and DY-NO-MITE! Can't wait until the party tonight to reheat, add another amber beer and serve. I'm guessing the melding of flavors overnight is going to make it even better than what I've tasted so far.Only change I did from the above is I couldn't find dehydrafted chilis. So, picked up 6 large green Pablano chilis, cut the tail off and just still went the the rehydrating process in the beer as stated in the directions. Not sure how much of a difference it made since they were already hydrated but did it anyways. Threw them in a blender and pureed (seeds and all).

Other than that it was a good little cooking session. The onions and amount of meat is a little overwhelming as preparing, but stick with it as is as will cook down.

My only question when buying supplies was on the bakers chocolate...they had bittersweet, semi-sweet and unsweetened. Decided to take the middle road and go with semi-sweet.

Only other tip for guys that don't cook too often is to cut up all of the onions and small cube the stew meat prior to turning the stovetop on...saves on some stress of trying to get it all cut up in time as start cooking. Oh, and best if you run the fan vent while cooking...the onions and garlic combo can get strong smelling.

Overall, fantastic recipe!

Just read the whole thread and am pretty pumped to make some chili. I'm hoping you guys can help me improve an existing recipe. I've won a couple of local chili cook offs with this, but I think that's because it's so unique. I'm looking to make it legendary. I know many of you will dismiss it out of hand as not "real" chili, but any help from the rest of you in terms of suggestions, substitutions, or modifications is greatly appreciated. I really like Judge Smail's way of adding chili flavor as opposed to chili powder, but I'm not sure the ratio to add it to this mixture.

Chili Corleone

Serves 8

ingredients

2 Lbs Arm Chuck Roast

2/3 White Onion

48 Oz Three Cheese Spaghetti Sauce

3 Cups Water

4 tsp Sugar

28 Oz Diced Tomatoes

4 Oz Pepperoni

2 TBS Beef Bouillon

2 1/2 TBS Medium Chili Powder

6 Cloves Garlic

1 tsp Cumin

1tsp Oregano

28 Oz Dark Red Kidney Beans (Optional)

1/4 Oz Baker's Chocolate

directions

1. Dice Onion

2. Either chop into small pieces or coarse grind Chuck Roast

3. Place diced Onion and chopped Chuck Roast in a pan on medium heat to brown

4. Once browned, drain the grease from the pan and add to a crockpot

5. Dice Garlic

6. Dice Pepperoni

7. Add all ingredients to crockpot and slow cook for a minimum of 4 hours

notes: • To add more spice, various peppers can be added.

• If garlic powder is substituted for garlic cloves, be sure and rehydrate powder before adding to chili

After reading about this bolognese sauce recipe (http://kokrobin.wordpress.com/2008/06/04/spaghetti-bolognese/) I incorporated a few things from it the last time I made bolognese, like adding fish sauce, a little soy sauce, and star anise. It worked really well.

Last time I made chili, I added a small amount of fish sauce (or "nam pla") on a lark, along with a a tablespoon or so of soy. It really gave it a depth of flavor, added to the "umami" nature of the dish. I wouldn't go overboard on these items, but a few drops, or a 1/4 tsp depending on the size of your chili batch, really adds to the earthiness / meatiness.

Could someone please provide a link for the type of chocolate to use?
I like to use Mexican chocolate if I have it around, it has a little cinnamon in it.Otherwise I just use whatever dark chocolate I have, and add a cinnamon stick or two to the pot. The darker the better IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread