What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies (1 Viewer)

Say what you will, but the guy is a known criminal, living the "thug" lifestyle. Eventually, someone is going to get hurt, regardless of the situation. I repeat, it is sad that he died.
You haven't kept up with Sean Taylor's life and are speaking out of ignorance.
But you have kept up with Sean Taylor's life?
Yes, I'm a Redskin fan and I did, as much as you can with a guy who doesn't do interviews and posture for the media.His daughter was born between a year or 2 years ago and that seems to have been a redefining event in his life. The turnaround in him was noticeable to other players and to the coaches and they commented on it a lot. There are links around showing examples of this in the other thread, the one where it was thought he was going to live, you can find them if you really care. He always was close with his family. He shared a home with his girlfriend and their daughter, who was the joy of his life. He was a very private man, and those who knew him (teammates and family) admired him and loved him. He had stayed away from trouble. He was at Redskin Park Thanksgiving Day talking with Larry Michael, and left to spend Thanksgiving with his family.
All of that is common information and in no way suggests your opinion is more informed than that of the poster you called ignorant. You can't use SOME media articles to support your claim while ignoring other media articles that support someone else's claim simply because you don't like what it implies. The fact is NO ONE knew Sean Taylor except Sean Taylor. People are trying to paint him as either a sinner or a saint; but in reality he was just a man, neither to be villified nor exalted. I don't care how long you've watched him play or how long you've loved / hated him. There is too much we don't know about this case to go around saying people are stupid for having an opinion which disagrees with yours.

And who keeps a machete as protection?
I don't know, but I know that you shouldn't bring a knife to a gunfight.
You keep a machete as protection when you are still on probation for gun charges and a violation of the probation will send you to jail.A better question is where was Sean's posse or at least some friends or security guards.
He apparently was smart enough to ditch any guns he may have owned so he could stay in line with his probation. I imagine distancing himself from a "posse" was another step in his attempts to become a responsible human being, let alone father and husband. :mellow: The Redskins faithful will miss you dearly, Sean. May God bless you and your family.

This is really sad news. Reading how Sean Taylor had taken the steps to change his life for the better, it reminds me a lot of how Steve Smith has matured and grown as an individual. Smith grew up in south Los Angeles and was surrounded by crime and people associated with crime. He had some unfortunate events early in his NFL career that gave him a reputation of being far from a choir boy. He eventually settled down and matured and while he still has that LA attitude in him, he is loved and respected by his teammates, coaches and community. One can only think that Sean Taylor was on the same path, or at least one similar to it. Regardless of someone's past, there is always time for change. It's sad to think we will never be able to see Sean Taylor give back to his community, give back to those who excel to be like him as a player and as an individual. I must be honest, I didn't know much about Sean Taylor's life or what he has done to correct things until this tragedy happened. I knew he had made some poor decisions and that he may have been running with the wrong crowd, but that's about all I knew. Hopefully others who might have a similar past will really take note of this tragedy and do something to change their lives for the better. The NFL will miss Sean Taylor. What a terrible loss.

I look forward to the day they arrest the person or persons responsible for this.

Sad end to a life that was just beginning to realize its true potential.

It is very very sad that this has happened. However, if you play in the gutter long enough, you will get dirty.
If a family member of yours died of heart failure would you be pissed if someone at the wake said "this is what happens if you don't eat the right foods, enough steak and cheeses will do it"?Since when was it ok to kick and man when hes down? And were not even close enough to the situation to make a statement like that in the 1st place.Think before you post.

This is terribly sad. I'm sure many thoughts & prayers go out to the family for this. My 7 year old is a huge NFL fan and we heard this on ESPN while I was taking him to school. He was very upset and said "He was my 17th favorite player." :cry: Very tragic that this has happened to a 24 year old who's just starting to figure out life. I pray you do rest in peace Sean.

Gun violence kills thousands each year in this country. We generally ignore it unless a celebrity like Sean Taylor is killed. It's a terrible, terrible, thing, but perhaps his death will wake us up to the all too easy access to firearms in America. IMO

The keeping it real part I don't think was any longer an issue and at the point he grew up (after his child was born) hindsight was 20/20 about how it was handled.
That's just it - I think this stemmed from an incident that should have been buried long ago. Even if you change your life, it doesn't mean your "enemies" have changed. The only way to avoid the problem is to not make those enemies in the first place. That's why it's so important to make rookies and other young players understand this... when you're that age, you're invincible in your own mind, and it just isn't the case. One foolish decision when you're 21 years old, and your life could be ruined.The thing is, the league can talk about it all they want, but no message will ever be as profound or impactful to these young players than Taylor's death will be. That's why I just hope that something good can come out of this senseless murder, and perhaps someone else's life will be spared. Likely, we'll never know about it if it happens, but I'd like to hope that the guy's death wasn't entirely in vain.
This is what I'm hearing about the way it is in South Florida.A guy like Taylor grows up in a bad hood and some of his childhood friends from the hood will be bad guys. When a guy like Taylor starts to better himself and leaves those bad guys behind, they get pissed. The U has had some incidents the last couple years with players being shot at by local hoodlums.

There are a zillion articles online now about Taylor, understandably, and most of them are just cobbled together from bits and pieces of other recent articles. But some of them have something new in them. This quote just really struck me.

"I just take this job very seriously," Taylor said in a rare group interview during training camp. "It's almost like, you play a kid's game for a king's ransom. And if you don't take it serious enough, eventually one day you're going to say, 'Oh, I could have done this, I could have done that.'
Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Gun violence kills thousands each year in this country. We generally ignore it unless a celebrity like Sean Taylor is killed. It's a terrible, terrible, thing, but perhaps his death will wake us up to the all too easy access to firearms in America. IMO
You had best duck before you get hit by some crap flung by the Charlton Heston gunlove peeps..."Guns don't kill people yadda-yadda-yadda..."

This is why I wish more NFL players would move to the communities that they play in. God knows what happens with these players when they are in college. They're so young and held on such a high pedestal. They make young peoples mistakes and earn enemies and friends - both good and bad. He grew up in Florida, played college in Miami and lived in Miami once he was a star. I'm sure there were a lot of folks there with a lot of animosity toward him because of his success. I just wish he would have moved away. Some where he could have started over with new friends etc. I wish he'd have moved to Washington and made that his home. It just saddens me when I see young people die like this with so much life left in front of them.

Edited to add:

This is also why I alway cringe when I see the Seahawks draft a local boy. Jeremy Stevens comes to mind. He couldn't break his ties with people he got in trouble with at the UW and predictably had problems while he was here in seattle.

1st off I dont own a gun.BUT , theres a county in Georgia that requires you to have a firearm and since the rule was brought into effect the crime rate not only plummeted but its the lowest crime rate in Georgia now. The problem is gun laws only further prevent law biding citizen from gaining access and not the criminals who are predominantly getting their weapons illegally off the black market.

1st off I dont own a gun.BUT , theres a county in Georgia that requires you to have a firearm and since the rule was brought into effect the crime rate not only plummeted but its the lowest crime rate in Georgia now. The problem is gun laws only further prevent law biding citizen from gaining access and not the criminals who are predominantly getting their weapons illegally off the black market.
I don't want to get into a gun owners argument here. I don't have any solutions to this problem. I'm just saying it's really sad that there is such easy access to guns for bad people, and it leads to so much gun violence. If there were some way to take the guns away from the bad guys, but leave them in the hands of responisble adults, I'd be all for it. I don't know how to do that, so I lean towards more restrictive laws for everybody. I'd like to see less innocent people die. End of soapbox.

Joe, thank you for getting rid of the insensitive jerks who posted on this thread. I don't know how anyone could be so heartless right now. :)

I don't want to get into a gun owners argument here. I don't have any solutions to this problem. I'm just saying it's really sad that there is such easy access to guns for bad people, and it leads to so much gun violence. If there were some way to take the guns away from the bad guys, but leave them in the hands of responisble adults, I'd be all for it. I don't know how to do that, so I lean towards more restrictive laws for everybody. I'd like to see less innocent people die. End of soapbox.
The only thing more restrictive laws do is make it harder for non-criminals to buy handguns. Thugs will get them anyway....therein lies the problem. I don't have the answer, but more restrictive laws probably wouldn't have saved Sean Taylor's life....

Do not turn this into a debate on guns as I will tell you that the people who had the guns would probably have them anyway as they are not worried about breaking the law,obviously. This is a sad, sad day. This is coming from a Nole and Cowboy fan who has watched the transformation from a distance. This guy was turning his life around and now had it snatched from him, and he had a young Baby. I hope they catch these fools and punish them to the fullest extent of the law.Rest In Peace.

This certainly puts things into perspective. Forces one to realize how chilidish it is to complain or argue about a team's failures or achievments.
Yeah I think that is a pretty fine point. We don't expect sports to be life and death but when things like the Kevin Everett injury and this tragedy happen, kind of makes you take a step back. I felt terrible two years ago when Ken Hamlin was involved in that street incident that put him in the hospital. Must be an extra sad day for Skins fans.
:excited: Taylor was an interesting player, and I don't just mean his physical skills. He didn't trust the media and so there aren't many interviews or even statements out there by him. He just basically went to work and did his business, which is admirable in many respects. He didn't have an ego that needed the limelight, although his skills certainly got a lot of attention. It did make it difficult to understand him though. He definitely had problems off the field, but people talking about his "thug" lifestyle don't know what they're talking about. He wasn't with his posse at a nightclub or something - he had property stolen by people and he went to take it back on his own, and then that fact was seized upon by a glory whoring DA. It was certainly ill-advised on his part, and his chilly relationship with the media didn't help the perceptions of that incident. I was frankly less happy about the spitting incident on the field with Michael Pittman two years ago in the playoffs. His teammates have insisted that the birth of his daughter changed him and really focused his energies, and made him a better person and player. I don't know about that, but I have no reason to doubt so many Redskins players and coaches. As for his playing skills, he was an extremely gifted athlete in a league full of gifted athletes. His athleticism stood out on an NFL field, and I'd liken him in that regard to those rare guys like Bo Jackson Barry Sanders who made you literally say "Wow!" at some of the things you'd see them do. Some have said that he had the athletic ability to start in the NFL at S, LB, CB, WR, RB or TE. I agree with that. He was pretty much a perfect athletic specimen to have back at FS, and his aggressive play changed games and definitely changed WRs' routes. He was having his best season IMHO this year, and this loss for that defense will be palpable. I've always felt that only the most devoted football watchers saw what he could do because as a defensive player he didn't have the ball in his hand, and because he was not a self-promoter. It really sucks to have lost him as a player for my favorite team. RIP Sean. :rolleyes:

he pissed off the wrong people and that came back to haunt him.
Says the guy who taunts BGP in his sig everyday - who obviously had an axe to grind with you.
I told BGP at the time he was making those comments (simply to rile myself and other Steeler fans up) that if Cowher won the SB, his words would grace my sig forever. He chose to keep prodding.And this is very, very different.

Taylor was an interesting player, and I don't just mean his physical skills. He didn't trust the media and so there aren't many interviews or even statements out there by him. He just basically went to work and did his business, which is admirable in many respects. He didn't have an ego that needed the limelight, although his skills certainly got a lot of attention. It did make it difficult to understand him though. He definitely had problems off the field, but people talking about his "thug" lifestyle don't know what they're talking about. He wasn't with his posse at a nightclub or something - he had property stolen by people and he went to take it back on his own, and then that fact was seized upon by a glory whoring DA. It was certainly ill-advised on his part, and his chilly relationship with the media didn't help the perceptions of that incident. I was frankly less happy about the spitting incident on the field with Michael Pittman two years ago in the playoffs. His teammates have insisted that the birth of his daughter changed him and really focused his energies, and made him a better person and player. I don't know about that, but I have no reason to doubt so many Redskins players and coaches. As for his playing skills, he was an extremely gifted athlete in a league full of gifted athletes. His athleticism stood out on an NFL field, and I'd liken him in that regard to those rare guys like Bo Jackson Barry Sanders who made you literally say "Wow!" at some of the things you'd see them do. Some have said that he had the athletic ability to start in the NFL at S, LB, CB, WR, RB or TE. I agree with that. He was pretty much a perfect athletic specimen to have back at FS, and his aggressive play changed games and definitely changed WRs' routes. He was having his best season IMHO this year, and this loss for that defense will be palpable. I've always felt that only the most devoted football watchers saw what he could do because as a defensive player he didn't have the ball in his hand, and because he was not a self-promoter. It really sucks to have lost him as a player for my favorite team. RIP Sean. :rolleyes:
:excited:

timschochet said:
And we're off.... :popcorn:

Here's a quote I found from Gregg Williams. I had no idea the two were so close.

"It's been a pretty long, difficult day for all of us. Most people came into work today thinking about how to get over the tough loss, the real hard-fought loss in Tampa yesterday, but things like this put things in perspective in a hurry. I haven't had much sleep and as a father, a coach, anybody, you don't like getting those very, very early calls with news like that.

"Coach Gibbs spoke v well on how we as an organization feel about Sean and I think it's been documented many, many times on how I feel about him personally, and the admiration I have for him and the closeness he and I have ... I've always thought about him as one of my own, and obviously with him being the first draft choice I was involved with bringing here, he's always been even a little bit closer to me in my heart on that. He's not much older than my oldest son and he and I have come a long way together."

Oh my god....this is a very sad day. A young man turns his life around for his daughter and his family but his past comes to haunt hm. R.I.P. Sean Taylor. :(

Here's a quote I found from Gregg Williams. I had no idea the two were so close."It's been a pretty long, difficult day for all of us. Most people came into work today thinking about how to get over the tough loss, the real hard-fought loss in Tampa yesterday, but things like this put things in perspective in a hurry. I haven't had much sleep and as a father, a coach, anybody, you don't like getting those very, very early calls with news like that."Coach Gibbs spoke v well on how we as an organization feel about Sean and I think it's been documented many, many times on how I feel about him personally, and the admiration I have for him and the closeness he and I have ... I've always thought about him as one of my own, and obviously with him being the first draft choice I was involved with bringing here, he's always been even a little bit closer to me in my heart on that. He's not much older than my oldest son and he and I have come a long way together."
It's a given that Taylor has always been immensely talented, but he arrived as a pretty immature guy and Williams mentored him and was just starting to see the fruits of that labor in the past year.

timschochet said:
And we're off.... :(
Go ahead and hit your head against the wall. I do, often, about this subject. I'm sick of all the useless deaths, aren't you? That a young man like Sean Taylor, at the height of his talents and not even experiencing most of life, should die in this manner is a senseless tragedy. There is no way to separate that tragedy from criminals' easy access to guns. It has to stop. Far too many young people are dead, especially in urban areas. I may be the only one writing about it on this thread, but there are lots of people who agree with me. The violence has got to stop.

Prayers for the child and mother. Hopefully the mother will find a good man to raise the child with..

I am a little conflicted on how to react to Sean Taylor’s death. I don’t know the full story. He was a great great football talent. Taylor is the only player that I ever heard about that Belichick coveted so much that he wanted to move up in the draft to get. He had the talent of a true difference maker. Super fast, big and great hitter. Much more talented than Palamulu or Sanders. But unlike those safeties his attitude probably prevented him from living up to his unlimited potential.

But from the sounds of it, his past caught up with him. You would have to assume that he knew the guy that killed him. No one would come back to burglarize a house a second time and kill the owner unless they had a reason. It could be an ex friend gang member or the husband of a woman Taylor bagged. Not sure what the facts are but has the fiancé been ruled out? I am kind of leaning to the “This guy was a bad person and does not deserve any sympathy” side of the fence. But as the father of a young child I feel bad for the mother and baby.

timschochet said:
And we're off.... :goodposting:
Go ahead and hit your head against the wall. I do, often, about this subject. I'm sick of all the useless deaths, aren't you? That a young man like Sean Taylor, at the height of his talents and not even experiencing most of life, should die in this manner is a senseless tragedy. There is no way to separate that tragedy from criminals' easy access to guns. It has to stop. Far too many young people are dead, especially in urban areas. I may be the only one writing about it on this thread, but there are lots of people who agree with me. The violence has got to stop.
Perhaps you should start a separate thread in the FFA?RIP Sean Taylor.

timschochet said:
And we're off.... :goodposting:
Perhaps you should start a separate thread in the FFA?
Good idea. Not sure if we've discussed it before. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread