What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redskins safety Sean Taylor dies (3 Viewers)

Does anyone have any actual news? Is this just a waiting game at this point or what?
Yeah, it's a waiting game. According to Taylor's attorney, he's non-responsive and they're not sure about brain damage, so it sounds to me like they're trying to give him time to regain consciousness to better assess that aspect of his condition before performing any other procedures.
Don't know if it was you or someone else that reported it, but supposedly he had to be resuscitated while being transported to the hospital. That might give more of an idea of the condition before hand and why there is concern to his unconsciousness now. Especially if he was out for awhile, brain damage would very well be a major concern too.
What I'd be curious to know is whether they indeed fully repaired the femoral artery in that surgery, or whether to save him they had to put that on hold in order to get his blood pressure up. The mention by the attorney of additional procedures made me wonder about that.
I'd imagine that it had to be repaired to give him a chance to survive. Especially with the surgery taking as long as it reportly took. Someone quoted a doctor on the ES board mentioning that longer surgery was a good sign as something as serious that artery being severed. Mentioned something like the first hour was the most critical hour in situations that involve something like that. Of course, it's an opinion and I'm not medical expert...but, I sure do hope it's true.
I believe I read somewhere that if treated by a trauma team within one hour of the casualty, the patients recovery rates skyrocket.
As a general matter, that's true, but now that he looks good to survive the real scary thing is going to be brain damage due to hypoxia, and that only takes minutes.

Washington Post

Police on Monday were interviewing Taylor's fiancee and several other relatives who were in the house to try to determine what precipitated the shooting.
Taylor's sprawling four-bedroom residence sits behind a few palm trees and a white masonry wall about six feet high. Two black-painted metal gates control entry to the curving drive. Taylor once kept pit bulls but has gotten rid of them, neighbors said.

Police crime scene investigators this afternoon were examining the wall, possibly looking for fingerprints.

Neighbors on either side of the house said they had pleasant relations with the young star. "He was nothing but a gentleman with us," said one. "He would sometimes talk over the fence with us, and it was always, 'Yes ma'am, no ma'am, yes sir.' "
But teammates say Taylor has matured in the last 18 months or so, perhaps in part because he has become a father; he reportedly dotes on his 18-month-old daughter, Jackie.

Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams told The Washington Post in October that Taylor's personal growth and development resulted from "a lot of tough love behind the scenes."

"I love him," Williams told Post columnist Mike Wise. "I think he's one of the most passionate football players I've ever coached. But he's very guarded."

Mort (ESPN) just said one of the Doctors asked ST to squeeze his hand if he heard him and he did in fact squeeze his hand.
This sounds good concerning brain damage, you would think if he understands commands things are working good.
Not necessarily, hopefully so but it's way too early to take this as anything other than a very small but very positive step.
The Dr's above seem to think it's a pretty significant step.
I don't see any Drs saying anything other than that they are very guarded about his diagnosis and until he comes to and recognizes people they have no way of knowing how he'll do. In fact, Sharpstein himself it's a small ray of sunshine and a very positive sign, but that he is very much not out of the woods.
UPDATE: Vinny Cerrato just called us with confirmation.

"He was responsive to the doctor's requests to squeeze his hands and showed facial expressions. The doctors were very happy about that," Cerrato said " ... Two doctors came and told us they were excited about that."

LaCanfora's blog:

Posted at 9:08 PM ET, 11/26/2007Sean's Status UnchangedAs of this minute, all is still the same, in critical condition. Sean has not yet opened his eyes, according to lawyer Richard Sharpstein, but was responsive to stimuli. The doctors continue to monitor him closely, checking vital signs and signs of responsiveness and hoping that this is the first of many milestones to come.

Bram Weinstein's blog (good local radio reporter)

Clinton Portis was virtually in tears speaking about Taylor, " everyone knows the changes Sean endured. He was a new Sean when he had his daughter. He changed his life, he changed his attitude, he wa sone of the best teammates you could have."

Gregg Williams had been touting Taylor as not only the best athlete he has coached, but a player who had matured to become of the leaders of this defense.. Chris Samuels said that he "had talked to coach Gibbs a few weeks back about how much Sean had matured."

Taylor was aloof with the media, he didn't trust us, including myself, I rarely if ever spoke to him. He declined practically every interview request from just about anyone who covered the team. But his teammates had spoken up for him in recent weeks saying what kind of teammate he'd become, how much repsonsibility he'd taken on about his profession as a football player and how the birth of his daughter really changed his attitude and outlook on life..
Frankly I don't care so much if he ever becomes a football player again. I'd just like to see him continue to be "Dad" to his daughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something sounds fishy about the whole story.

I read that Taylor locked himself in his bedroom. If it was just someone trying to steal things from his house they probably would have ran away when they knew he was awake and locked in his bedroom, being he could call 911. This sounds like they were going after Taylor for some reason.

Something sounds fishy about the whole story.I read that Taylor locked himself in his bedroom. If it was just someone trying to steal things from his house they probably would have ran away when they knew he was awake and locked in his bedroom, being he could call 911. This sounds like they were going after Taylor for some reason.
Possibly, but we're guessing right now.

Something sounds fishy about the whole story.I read that Taylor locked himself in his bedroom. If it was just someone trying to steal things from his house they probably would have ran away when they knew he was awake and locked in his bedroom, being he could call 911. This sounds like they were going after Taylor for some reason.
Possibly, but we're guessing right now.
Just said on MNF that a team spokesman was calling it a deliberate attack.

i hope taylor gets better... i was a huge fan of his at the U and overall he's been one of my favorite players since he came to the NFL... i wish him the best... he's a blast to watch and an amazing player. I understand he's sketchy and not the best attitude but he is one of the best at his position.

Taylor recently awoke in a Miami hospital and gripped a doctor's hand when asked, a source said. Medical officials were uncertain whether Taylor would initially survive after suffering major blood loss when shot early this morning in his South Florida home.

"Sean was not responding well to blood transfusions and things were going in the wrong direction when totally out of the blue he woke up," the source said.
Fox Sports

I read that Taylor locked himself in his bedroom.
His lawyer said this today:
Sharpstein said Taylor's girlfriend told him the couple was awakened by loud noises, and Taylor grabbed a machete he keeps in the bedroom for protection. Someone then broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor, the lawyer said."It was clearly a burglary, an armed burglary," Sharpstein said, adding nothing appeared to have been stolen.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_n...ory/320910.html

The alarm at the home had not been activated, a police official said, even though eight days earlier someone had broken into the house and rifled through Taylor's possessions, leaving a kitchen knife on a bed. After the shooting, Taylor's girlfriend tried to call police from the house line, only to discover the line had been cut. She had to use her mobile phone to call 911, which delayed response time, said Redskins spokesman Vinny Cerrato.

''This was a deliberate attack,'' Cerrato said.

Miami Herald

NFL star Sean Taylor rose from his bed early Monday after noises in his sprawling Old Cutler Road home startled him and his girlfriend. He grabbed a machete from underneath his bed and went to investigate.

He didn't get far. An armed intruder burst through the bedroom door and fired at least one shot. Taylor tumbled back into the bedroom, critically wounded in the groin, said lawyer Richard Sharpstein.

After undergoing surgery Monday, Taylor was fighting for his life, said Sharpstein, an attorney for the standout safety with the Washington Redskins and former Miami Hurricanes All-American. Sharpstein represented the controversial football player in a previous criminal case.

The alarm at the home had not been activated, a police official said, even though eight days earlier someone had broken into the house and rifled through Taylor's possessions, leaving a kitchen knife on a bed. After the shooting, Taylor's girlfriend tried to call police from the house line, only to discover the line had been cut. She had to use her mobile phone to call 911, which delayed response time, said Redskins spokesman Vinny Cerrato.

edit: southeastjerome beat me to it

Taylor recently awoke in a Miami hospital and gripped a doctor's hand when asked, a source said. Medical officials were uncertain whether Taylor would initially survive after suffering major blood loss when shot early this morning in his South Florida home.

"Sean was not responding well to blood transfusions and things were going in the wrong direction when totally out of the blue he woke up," the source said.
Fox Sports
from the article linked above:The 24-year-old player was in the intensive care unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital after several hours of surgery, said family friend Richard Sharpstein, his former lawyer.

;)

Ok - last warning.

Talk about Taylor's situation. For you guys that want to have a pissing match with each other, don't bother trying to log in tomorrow.

I thought you guys could keep this cool and I was way wrong.

No whining about each other.

J

Fox Sports
Let's hope the news is true, but I'm waiting for something a lot more credible than Fox Sports.

Miami Herald

NFL star Sean Taylor rose from his bed early Monday after noises in his sprawling Old Cutler Road home startled him and his girlfriend. He grabbed a machete from underneath his bed and went to investigate.

He didn't get far. An armed intruder burst through the bedroom door and fired at least one shot. Taylor tumbled back into the bedroom, critically wounded in the groin, said lawyer Richard Sharpstein.

After undergoing surgery Monday, Taylor was fighting for his life, said Sharpstein, an attorney for the standout safety with the Washington Redskins and former Miami Hurricanes All-American. Sharpstein represented the controversial football player in a previous criminal case.

How do these security systems work?? Do they run through your phone line? I dn't own a home so I have no knowledge of how they work..

Miami Herald

How do these security systems work?? Do they run through your phone line? I dn't own a home so I have no knowledge of how they work..
Yes, good ones have a wireless failsafe though.

from the article linked above:

The 24-year-old player was in the intensive care unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital after several hours of surgery, said family friend Richard Sharpstein, his former lawyer.

:wall:
Sharpstein is the lawyer who defended Taylor against the 2006 charges filed by that DA who was also a DJ and was using the case to pad his resume. He (Sharpstein) has remained friends with Taylor's family since then.

It would be really cool if people refrained from speculating about his outlook unless they have a medical background.

That's not some sort of ethical finger-wagging, it's just a little frustrating to hear people say things like "that's a good sign" or "he's not out of the woods yet" based on nothing other than their gut feeling.

Miami Herald

sounds like a hit to me.didn't i read that this was the third break-in attempt in a week or two?

I have already stated it, and let me state it again.

I hope Sean fully recovers and this has nothing to do with football. I just hope he can have a life and be with his daughter.

Since I am not the first to speculate, I would not rule out the GF shooting him.

didn't i read that this was the third break-in attempt in a week or two?
Definitely at least the second, and possibly the third. There was one around Nov. 18 which was reported to police. There may or may not have been another one --- it's hard to tell from news accounts whether there actually was a third, or whether it's just differing details (or guesses at details) from the Nov. 18 break-in.

didn't i read that this was the third break-in attempt in a week or two?
Definitely at least the second, and possibly the third. There was one around Nov. 18 which was reported to police. There may or may not have been another one --- it's hard to tell from news accounts whether there actually was a third, or whether it's just differing details (or guesses at details) from the Nov. 18 break-in.
Last time they left a knife on his bed. I doubt very much that this was a robbery.

I have already stated it, and let me state it again.I hope Sean fully recovers and this has nothing to do with football. I just hope he can have a life and be with his daughter.Since I am not the first to speculate, I would not rule out the GF shooting him.
Any reason for that speculation?

I have already stated it, and let me state it again.I hope Sean fully recovers and this has nothing to do with football. I just hope he can have a life and be with his daughter.Since I am not the first to speculate, I would not rule out the GF shooting him.
Total speculation. Just seems very fishy. Alarm wasn't activated. Why was there only 1 shot? The "burglar" :blackdot: met him at his bedroom door? If the guy wanted to kill Sean, why didn't he kill him and his GF?You can never explain these things, but everything about this seems fishy.

Total speculation. Just seems very fishy. Alarm wasn't activated. Why was there only 1 shot? The "burglar" :excited: met him at his bedroom door? If the guy wanted to kill Sean, why didn't he kill him and his GF?You can never explain these things, but everything about this seems fishy.
I'm pretty sure it was Mad Sweeney in the conservatory with the bag of hammers. :rolleyes:

I think you guys are reading too much into this. There has been a huge rash of (armed) home invasions that targeted NBA players. I'm not surprised that it finally happened to an NFL player. And the only reason guys like Eddy Curry and Antoine Walker weren't shot is because they cooperated and allowed themselves to be tied up. If what the news said about Taylor is true, he was carrying a machette when this went down. At that point, a robber is probably faced with either fleeing from the scene, or firing shots...

He was shot in the ball bag(which is double over cringe inducing). I'm thinking its either the GF or a guy who's chick he might have been with. Can't see it going any other way if it was one shot. Hard to say anything justified that, but not only does he seem targeted, I'd gather the shooting area was not coincidental as well.

Total speculation. Just seems very fishy. Alarm wasn't activated. Why was there only 1 shot? The "burglar" :thumbup: met him at his bedroom door? If the guy wanted to kill Sean, why didn't he kill him and his GF?You can never explain these things, but everything about this seems fishy.
I'm pretty sure it was Mad Sweeney in the conservatory with the bag of hammers. :homer:
I'm pretty sure that wasn't funny.I'm also pretty sure you are becoming more and more rude and belligerent then you used to be. Maybe it wasn't his GF, but something is really off about all of this. Maybe local teenagers/thugs? That might explain the house getting broke into a few times. Teenagers are dumb. Maybe the house isn't always occupied and they were breaking in looking for weed/cash/guns/jewelery and weren't experienced thieves. :shrug:

The phone line was cut? WTF? What a crazy story.

Whatever the case this seems to be a fairly well planned event. I see this as being set up by people who know him, possibly someone who knew him from clubs or something.

Maybe it wasn't his GF, but something is really off about all of this. Maybe local teenagers/thugs? That might explain the house getting broke into a few times. Teenagers are dumb. Maybe the house isn't always occupied and they were breaking in looking for weed/cash/guns/jewelery and weren't experienced thieves. :thumbup:
Why would the GF be involved? She had it made. Also teenagers seems like a stretch. This seems like it was done by people who do it for a living or at least someone very desperate. I'm sure they are going to find the culprits in this case given the publicity and the scope.

Sorry to be the first to report this

but Sean Taylor has passed away, just reported local radio

sad sad sad day.

Thoughts and Prayers

Link

MIAMI -- Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has died, a day after he was shot in the leg, said family friend Richard Sharpstein.

He said Taylor's father called him around 5:30 a.m. to tell him the news.

His father called and said he was with Christ and he cried and thanked me," said Sharpstein, Taylor's former lawyer. "It's a tremendously sad and unnecessary event. He was a wonderful, humble, talented young man, and had a huge life in front of him. Obviously God had other plans."

He said he did not know exactly when Taylor died.

Doctors had been encouraged late Monday night when Taylor squeezed a nurse's hand. But Sharpstein said he was told Taylor never regained consciousness after being transported to the hospital and that he wasn't sure how he had squeezed the nurse's hand.

"Maybe he was trying to say goodbye or something," Sharpstein said.

The 24-year-old Redskins safety was shot early Monday in his home in the upper leg, damaging an artery and causing significant blood loss.
Figured the other thread was kind of bogged down. RIP Sean.

CNN reads:

"Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor has died after being shot at his Florida home, his lawyer tells CNN."

My heart and prayers go out to all his family and friends.

Miami Herald

He suffered massive blood loss. Surgery conducted later in the afternoon could not save him.The gunman remained on the loose."This is just such a tragic, horrible, unnecessary death -- another example of the incessant violence in this city and this country,'' Richard Sharpstein, Taylor's attorney, said early Tuesday morning. AT THE SCENEPolice said Miami-Dade patrol officers received the call that Taylor had been shot about 1:45 a.m. Monday.Among the first responders was George Mira Jr., who lettered as a linebacker at UM from 1984-87 and is now a fire battalion chief. Detective Juan Villalba, a Miami-Dade police spokesman, said police were interviewing relatives who were potential witnesses.Sharpstein said the couple's baby daughter was also in the bedroom and slept through the shooting. The gunman fled immediately after firing.''Nothing was stolen. They shot at him and fled,'' Sharpstein said.Only eight days before, according to police records, someone had broken into Taylor's house between 7 p.m. Nov. 17 and midnight Nov. 18. The intruder, who pried open a front window, entered several rooms and rifled through drawers and a safe in the bedroom.No one was home at the time; the police report says it was unknown whether anything was taken. In that incident, someone left a kitchen knife on a bed, the police report says. Damage to the A/C vent in Taylor's bathroom was observed, the report said.Retirees Pat and Jim Smith, who live next door to Taylor, said they heard voices outside about 2:30 a.m. Monday. Outside, Jim Smith talked to a woman with a baby in her arms who he believes is Taylor's nanny. She mentioned the previous break-in.''I am going to make sure my gun is loaded,'' Jim Smith said. ``We never did have any problems here.''

What a sad event...if he wouldn't have been hurt he would've been with the team and not at home.

Too bad the Skins have the rule "you don't play ...you stay behind".

My prayers & thoughts are with his family and teammates.

He was an exciting player to watch

Users who are viewing this thread