What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's a Wonderful Life (1 Viewer)

Rough ranking of Stewart movies (his catalog of great movies is as deep as anyone)

1. It's a Wonderful Life
  2. Rear Window
  3. The Philadelphia Story
  4. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence
  5. Vertigo
  6. Anatomy of a Murder
  7. Winchester 73
  8. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
  9. Rope
  10. The Shootist
  11. You Can't Take It With You
  12. The Shop Around the Corner
  13. Harvey
Liberty valance May be number one for me, incredible performance 

When he came back, he gave up his "aww shucks naive roles" and took on darker and more complex roles such as Vertigo and Winchester 73. 

Rough ranking of Stewart movies (his catalog of great movies is as deep as anyone

7. Winchester 73
Never seen it - dont watch many westerns - but notice it's the primetime movie on INSP (the Gunsmoke network, more or less) tonite. will check it out

Never seen it - dont watch many westerns - but notice it's the primetime movie on INSP (the Gunsmoke network, more or less) tonite. will check it out
Nice. It’s also the rare movie where I think a different actor steals the show from Stewart. You’ll know him when you see him.

This is my favorite. I won't say it's his best, but... 

In high school, we performed this, and I got to play the cabbie that convinced the family to not have Elwood "fixed". 

CABBY - Oh, no - listen lady, I been drivin' this route fifteen years. I've brought 'em out here to get that stuff and I've drove 'em home after they had it. It changes them.

VETA - Well, I certainly hope so.

CABBY - You ain't kiddin'. On the way out here, they sit back and enjoy the ride. They talk to me. Sometimes we stop and watch the sunsets and look at the birds flyin'. Sometimes we stop and watch the birds when there ain't no birds...and look at the sunsets when it's rainin' - heh - we have a swell time. And I always get a big tip. But afterwards? Oh oh!

VETA - "Afterwards - oh-oh"? - what do you mean "afterwards oh oh"?

CABBY - They crab, crab, crab! They yell at me - watch the lights - watch the brakes - watch the intersection. They scream at me to hurry. They got no faith - in me or my buggy - yet it's the same cab - same driver, and we're goin' back over the very same road. It's no fun - and no tips.

VETA - My brother would have tipped you anyway. He's very generous. He always has been.

CABBY - Not after this he won't be. After this, he'll be a perfectly normal human bein' - and you know what stinkers they are. Glad I met ya - I'll wait.
Not the largest of roles, so, I made sure to use an over the top NYC accent. 

If @otb_liferwere around, I'd get him to vouch fer me. 
Not the largest of roles, so, I made sure to use an over the top NYC accent. 

If @otb_lifer were around, I'd get him to vouch fer me. 

Edit: formating sux on this phone - can't get quotes right. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw a colored version of this on Amazon. I had no clue a version like this existed. Very strange seeing it in color

Two other Bailey kids are still alive -- Jimmy Hawkins (Tommy) and Carol Coombs (Janie). Other surviving cast members include Jeanine Ann Roose (young Violet Bick) and Ronnie Ralph (young Sam Wainwright), plus Virginia Patton (who played Harry's wife) who is 95.
Wonder if she's learned that silly tune yet after playing it over and over again.

why did a Building & Loan need to have 8 grand in cash?

Even during a bank run $2000 was enough to keep them going. 
They had received $8000 in deposits that day, but the money never made it to the bank. George could have covered the loss if he had $8k from his own savings (like he did during the bank run), but by 1945 he had no liquid assets.

The reason why George was in trouble was because a bank examiner had shown up that day to inspect the company's books. If not for that, George and the Building & Loan probably could have weathered the loss.

The bank run was a different situation -- the Building & Loan had more than $2000 to its name, but all the money was in the bank, which had shut its doors for one week. George put up $2000 of his own money to cover withdrawals for that week, at which point he'd presumably be reimbursed by the B&L's account at the bank.

The reason why George was in trouble was because a bank examiner had shown up that day to inspect the company's books.
After the hullabaloo at the Baileys at the end, I’m guessing the examiner never made it back to his family in Elmira that night. Also may have dropped his train fare into the basket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread