What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Band of Brothers (1 Viewer)

Why We Fight is probably the "best" episode but it's just so depressing. 

So I think I'd go with The Breaking Point. I like walberg's character alot and he does a great job in this episode. Toy/garnere losing their legs is one of the more gut wrenching moments of the series
Currahee has always been one of my favorites and very rewatchable. 

So I think I'd go with The Breaking Point. I like walberg's character alot and he does a great job in this episode. Toy/garnere losing their legs is one of the more gut wrenching moments of the series
The Spiers run is the apex of the series as well.  Just so bad ###.

i just noticed Tom hardy in Why we Fight.  Hilarious.

They are all so good. 

The only one I don't love is the one with the guy who goes mute. Not sure why, usually skip that one.

Definitely in my top 5 of all time.

Greatest WWII anything.

Simply amazing TV. 

Watched on and off while having a pool party at my house. My son (now 12) wants to sit and watch it front to back. Just an amazing series and IMO should be shown in every High School American History class as part of the curriculum. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Greatest WWII anything.

Simply amazing TV. 

Watched on and off while having a pool party at my house. My son (now 12) wants to sit and watch it front to back. Just an amazing series and IMO should be shown in every High School American History class as part of the curriculum. 
It's great but dedicating over 2 weeks class time to a mini-series is a bit much.

Love this series. Here is a tough question. If you only have time to rewatch one episode, which do you choose?  
My favorite has to be Bastogne...something about the snowy imagery and just the general mood of despair at that point is really conveyed well.  You almost feel like you're there if you watch it on a good enough TV/sound system.  There really isn't a bad episode though.  I've seen the whole thing through probably 5-6 times. 

OrtonToOlsen said:
It's great but dedicating over 2 weeks class time to a mini-series is a bit much.
2 weeks to teach kids about the greatest generation ever and why we all don't speak German......well worth it.

Todem said:
My son (now 12) wants to sit and watch it front to back. Just an amazing series and IMO should be shown in every High School American History class as part of the curriculum. 
Is that an appropriate age to have a child watch this (or Saving Private Ryan or similar)?  My kid isn't quite 2, so I've got a long way to go - but this is definitely one of those things I want to sit him down to watch when he's old enough to appreciate it (and understand it's significance). 

Is that an appropriate age to have a child watch this (or Saving Private Ryan or similar)?  My kid isn't quite 2, so I've got a long way to go - but this is definitely one of those things I want to sit him down to watch when he's old enough to appreciate it (and understand it's significance). 
I showed my son these starting at 11 or 12.  He had already read many WW2 books and had done two year-long school reports on the Ploesti air raids, including interviewing a veteran who had flown those missions.  He had shown a good understanding of the gravity of the topic, particularly when interviewing the veteran.  Our kids are pretty sheltered - we don't swear, and we are very conservative when it comes to media... but he was ready.

I doubt I'll be showing my current 9 y.o. at 11 or 12 since he's not a WW2 buff.  I wouldn't show these to a kid if I felt they would see it as a bunch of cool explosions.

ETA: I had a memory of Saving Private Ryan being more extreme than Band of Brothers.  Not really - there are scenes in BoB just as powerful as the Normandy scenes.  The Pacific was the most extreme of the lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.

Spears, get yourself over here! Get out there and relieve Dyche and take that attack on in.
I loved how quickly he took off - like he had a full plan already prepared for just that situation and just couldn't wait to execute it.

TLEF316 said:

Day of Days. 

Parachute drop. Wild Bill mowing down the German squad with his tommy gun and then getting called out by winters (quaker). Legand of Spiers born.  Text book assault on the German battery.  

Enjoy all of them though.  

TLEF316 said:

Good choices.

I remember the first time I saw the "Why We Fight" episode on HBO. I was sobbing like a baby. Just an emotionally destroying episode.

"Breaking Point" was up there, too, but "Bastogne" was great, too. Poor Doc Roe. When he discovers that the nurse he connected with had been killed, it was another gut punch for Doc and the viewer.

My favorite part of the series was the into of each episode by the real Band of Brothers.

Just a masterpiece of television.

I was pretty disappointed by "the Pacific". It wasn't bad, but no way could it ever live up to Band of Brothers.

I was pretty disappointed by "the Pacific". It wasn't bad, but no way could it ever live up to Band of Brothers.
BoB was and always will be my favorite series/movie/whatever you call it.

The problem the Pacific had was there was no one company you could focus on that went from beginning to end so it was tougher to develop those personal relationships you felt with the characters in BoB. Different war but far more brutal IMO. I thought the way they did the series was about as good as you could. Really liked the Clint Eastwood offerings centering around Iwo Jima. If you haven't seen them you should, Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima.

I showed my son these starting at 11 or 12.  He had already read many WW2 books and had done two year-long school reports on the Ploesti air raids, including interviewing a veteran who had flown those missions.  He had shown a good understanding of the gravity of the topic, particularly when interviewing the veteran.  Our kids are pretty sheltered - we don't swear, and we are very conservative when it comes to media... but he was ready.

I doubt I'll be showing my current 9 y.o. at 11 or 12 since he's not a WW2 buff.  I wouldn't show these to a kid if I felt they would see it as a bunch of cool explosions.

ETA: I had a memory of Saving Private Ryan being more extreme than Band of Brothers.  Not really - there are scenes in BoB just as powerful as the Normandy scenes.  The Pacific was the most extreme of the lot.
Had an uncle that was killed piloting a B-24 over Ploesti.  Not Tidal Wave, but a later mission.  Hollywood is missing a real chance not making a movie of that one.

Simon Pegg, Jamie Barber (Apollo on BSG) and lots of others that have shown up here and there.

Surprised people don't remember Fallon, but maybe they didn't watch it originally when it aired? It was really jarring for me when he showed up in an episode, but I also watched a lot of SNL and MTV back then.

WampusCat43 said:
Had an uncle that was killed piloting a B-24 over Ploesti.  Not Tidal Wave, but a later mission.  Hollywood is missing a real chance not making a movie of that one.
Babe Hawke is the family friend my boy interviewed.  Shot down twice in Yugoslavia on trips back from Ploesti raids.  He didn't seem willing to talk much about the second one, and my boy didn't press (good job, buddy!).

BoB was and always will be my favorite series/movie/whatever you call it.

The problem the Pacific had was there was no one company you could focus on that went from beginning to end so it was tougher to develop those personal relationships you felt with the characters in BoB. Different war but far more brutal IMO. I thought the way they did the series was about as good as you could. Really liked the Clint Eastwood offerings centering around Iwo Jima. If you haven't seen them you should, Flags of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima.
I saw Flags and Letters. Both good.

Were there other prisoners...Did they have the resources to take prisoners then?
During D-Day? Or any time during the war for that matter?  Yes there were prisoners.

After the D-Day landings German surrenders initially came quite slowly. By June 9 only 4,000 prisoners had been taken, increasing to 15,000 by June 18. The total for June was 47,000, dropping to 36,000 in July; 135,000 were taken in the month subsequent to July 25. August’s total was 150,000. The total number of prisoners attributed to the Normandy campaign was 200,000.

Im all for being a good solider but not a big fan of murdering unarmed POW's.
I don't love him for killing German prisoners, but I love him for being psychotic enough to bravely lead men into battle against terrible odds. It's guys like that that can win the war for you.

I planned on watching the last 3 episodes, but Why We Fight was such a gut punch I needed to do something else before going to sleep.  Just outstanding TV, but very upsetting.  I will watch the last episode tonight. 

I just visited a relative who's Jewish, and has an incredible collection of holocaust artifacts.  Oof - people are terrible.

I rewatched "Bastogne". He's running around the entire episode trying to score morphine. Now, he's not using all the morphine for himself by any means. But he's using some of it. Note especially the scene where he begins wrapping cord around his hand and saying a prayer. Implication is that he's injecting or popping into his fingers. You have to watch the flow of the whole episode as well, noting his changes in behavior and appearance, esp the time, apparently immediately after getting well, when he sits apart and doesn't let himself get drawn into the conversation around the campfire (I know there could be other reasons for this, but watch the whole thing). There are certain directorial choices which frame it that way, like including the soldier's asking him if he's really using it for himself, the opening scene showing how easily his finger bleeds, etc. The implication seems pretty clear to me overall, and I (we) see no other way of explaining the hand-wrapping scene.
Couldn't be farther from the truth. Doc Roe was salt of the earth and considered above reproach among his men. Morphine was a newish drug in WWII and regardless, in short supply. Coupled with the fact the town of Bastogne was completely encircled and they couldn't get resupplied, ALL of the medics looked like that during that period of the war. Read up on Eugene Roe, you'll find all the answers you need are out there to dispel that theory.

Also, online I found this actual photo of Lewis Nixon during the war. Incredibly epic.
Lewis Nixon was a drunk when he went in and became worse as the war wore on. It never stopped him from doing his job though and the men he served with respected that. That picture is the day after VE day and shortly after Nix was given access to Goering's private stock. Oddly enough Nixon sobered up in the 60's after having a rough go of it after the war, met a woman that straightened him out and lived a happy life until he passed away in the 90's. Sounds like a BoB trailer when I type it out...

Users who are viewing this thread