What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brown rigs heated warmup pants to stay toasty in Green Bay (1 Viewer)

The Great Snook

Footballguy
Taken from ESPN.com

SEATTLE -- Seattle Seahawks kicker Josh Brown says he'll wear heated warm-up pants in the freezing weather at Saturday's playoff game in Green Bay.

Brown says he has equipped his pants with battery-powered heaters for the calves, thighs and hamstrings.

Brown told KIRO Radio that no matter how low the temperature drops, his legs will be 75 degrees.

Brown says kickers, who spend most of the game on the sideline, have to work harder to stay loose in cold weather by walking around, practicing kicks or using heaters.

The National Weather Service is predicting a 20 percent chance of snow showers on Saturday in Green Bay, with a high near 28. Temperatures are expected to dip to 17 degrees on Saturday night.

The game is scheduled to kick off at 4:30 p.m. ET
I'm hoping that "heated pants" will be the difference maker in the game. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Monday's headline: Seattle kicker Josh Brown suffers 2nd and 3rd degree burns over calves, thighs and hamstrings.

That's kinda neat though. Those batteries must be pretty small.

...and the 2007-2008 award for idiot kicker goes to...

The simple fact that so many people have suffered through cold winter days since the beginning of time and nobody has come forth with a working pair of heated pants makes me think that this will end very badly for Mr. Brown.

I never hope a guy gets hurt...but I would laugh my ### off if his pants burst into flames (as long as he is ok afterward).

...and the 2007-2008 award for idiot kicker goes to...The simple fact that so many people have suffered through cold winter days since the beginning of time and nobody has come forth with a working pair of heated pants makes me think that this will end very badly for Mr. Brown.
Actually, many of these do work, they're just not very efficient.Batteries usually only last a few hours at most, so to anybody living and working in the cold, they aren't economically smart. However, I could see them getting good use for a few hours in keeping a kicker warm.

KnowledgeReignsSupreme said:
Monday's headline: Seattle kicker Josh Brown suffers 2nd and 3rd degree burns over calves, thighs and hamstrings.

That's kinda neat though. Those batteries must be pretty small.
He can probably fit the batteries where his man parts are supposed to be.

...and the 2007-2008 award for idiot kicker goes to...The simple fact that so many people have suffered through cold winter days since the beginning of time and nobody has come forth with a working pair of heated pants makes me think that this will end very badly for Mr. Brown.
Never been skiing huh?They sell little cloths packs that give off heat for a few hours after they are open. Peeps put them in their boots and gloves on extra cold days. They could easily work in the interior pad pockets on a pair of football pants.It's actually a pretty good idea

How is this different than receivers spraying "stick on" to their gloves, or offensive lineman putting slippery stuff on their jerseys?

I don't get it? :goodposting:

The Packers' equipment guys on the sidelines will we wearing shorts, as they were a few weeks ago in Chicago when it was in the teens (and as they will be in the event of a NFC Championship game next week). OL and DL will all be in short sleeves as always. Bikini girls will be in the stands.

How is this different than receivers spraying "stick on" to their gloves, or offensive lineman putting slippery stuff on their jerseys?I don't get it? :mellow:
Are your serious? It's an effort to keep his legs warm, not to help him kick the ball (or make it easier to catch/harder to hold). It's not even in the same category. It will have no effect on his play, just a different way of keeping his muscles loose. No different than riding the bike on the sidelines, sitting on heated benches or sitting in the "Cool ZOne" with the mist sprayers on hot days.

Let him do what he wants. The Frozen Tundra has already gotten into his head and he has not even crossed into the state of Wisconsin.

Cold weather and Favre = Packers victory!!!!!!!!!!

How is this different than receivers spraying "stick on" to their gloves, or offensive lineman putting slippery stuff on their jerseys?I don't get it? :headbang:
Are your serious? It's an effort to keep his legs warm, not to help him kick the ball (or make it easier to catch/harder to hold). It's not even in the same category. It will have no effect on his play, just a different way of keeping his muscles loose. No different than riding the bike on the sidelines, sitting on heated benches or sitting in the "Cool ZOne" with the mist sprayers on hot days.
Wouldn't this be considered bringing an illegal object onto the field (the batteries that is). I'd have to imagine that batteries are atleast as dangerous as the sharpie that T.O. used.

How is this different than receivers spraying "stick on" to their gloves, or offensive lineman putting slippery stuff on their jerseys?I don't get it? :yes:
Wouldn't this be considered bringing an illegal object onto the field (the batteries that is). I'd have to imagine that batteries are atleast as dangerous as the sharpie that T.O. used.
About as dengerous as a thigh pad. It'll be in the pads podkets or under his pants. Won't be an issue.

The Packers' equipment guys on the sidelines will we wearing shorts, as they were a few weeks ago in Chicago when it was in the teens (and as they will be in the event of a NFC Championship game next week). OL and DL will all be in short sleeves as always. Bikini girls will be in the stands.
And I will be shirtless in section 353. You probably don't want to see that.. :wub:

It's not so hard and it's not new.Step 1. Light pants on fireStep 2. Hurry up and kick.Step 3. Run to guy with fire extinguisher.This was very popular in the 1940's until "Icing the kicker" was invented. They called it "Icing the Kicker" because ice was quickly applied to the 3rd degree burns.

scott72 said:
And I will be shirtless in section 353. You probably don't want to see that.. :goodposting:
Section 130 for me; expect to remain fully clothed throughout.

chris1969 said:
It's not so hard and it's not new.Step 1. Light pants on fireStep 2. Hurry up and kick.Step 3. Run to guy with fire extinguisher.This was very popular in the 1940's until "Icing the kicker" was invented. They called it "Icing the Kicker" because ice was quickly applied to the 3rd degree burns.
This was quickly replaced with the head coach lighting a fire under someone's ###, often confused for berating a player to inspire him to play well. Close inspection of grainy black and white films show a mysterious and strategically placed lighter concealed by assistants to "warm up" their kicker.

scott72 said:
And I will be shirtless in section 353. You probably don't want to see that.. :confused:
Section 130 for me; expect to remain fully clothed throughout.
I wish I would be there.My mom and step-dad will be in section 125...about 2 rows up from where you come out from under the stadium...right there in front of the Oneida Nation gate. My Grandfather has had those seats basically since the place opened. Great seats.My brother and my dad will be up in section 115 or 113...I cannot recall which...but up towards the top of that section. Those were my "grandfather's" seats. He was my step-mom's father. Now they are my dad and step-mom's tickets.I will be here watching it on the big screen...or maybe at the hospital if our new addition decides to join this world in the next few days.

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2...19375#more19375

Josh Brown said after practice that the whole story about wearing warm pants is a bit blown up. He has battery-operated heaters that he wears when he goes hunting, and has for three years, and he is is putting those in his warmup pants on the sideline so he doesn't have to keep stretching. He laughed that he was even being asked about it. Brown didn't practice in the afternoon but said it was simply to rest his legs with an afternoon off.
He uses them for hunting. Much ado about nothing. This "story" ranks up there with the impact of Jessica Simpson on Romo. What a waste of time from beat writers. Nothing substantial to report so they have to engineer stories. Pathetic.

From TMQ: Stat of the Week No. 7: A January game in Green Bay approaches; over the past four seasons, the Packers are 7-9 at Lambeau Field when kickoff temperature is below 40 degrees.

HOT PANTS: Suddenly, the warm-up pants worn by kicker Josh Brown were national news Wednesday. It all started innocently enough, when Brown said on his weekly radio show on KIRO-AM that he takes the battery-powered heaters he wears while hunting and puts them in his warm-up pants for cold-weather games. "I've worn these pants for three years," Brown said. "I don't understand why it's such a huge story." Because it's the playoffs, so the quirkier the story the better. Asked if the heaters went in his uniform pants, Brown said: "Not my uniform. That would be crazy. Absolutely not. You guys are nuts."
LINK"I'll tell you what, if my biggest challenge preparing this team is to get a sock on Hasselbeck and batteries on Josh Brown, then we're in good shape."

- HC Mike Holmgren

Heated Pants. You just can't say it enough. Heated... Pants.

Hope they win and someone throws the Gatorade bucket on him.

scott72 said:
And I will be shirtless in section 353. You probably don't want to see that.. :)
Doesn't say much about the intelliegence level of Green Bay residents. :wub:

Let him do what he wants. The Frozen Tundra has already gotten into his head and he has not even crossed into the state of Wisconsin.

Cold weather and Favre = Packers victory!!!!!!!!!!
This was my thought. He has already psyched himself out. This is not good for a kicker.

You guys are killing me with all this talk of "the weather is already in Josh Brown's head." The guy played his college ball at NEBRASKA. The weather here is a lot closer to Green Bay than it is to South Beach. And to my knowledge, Brown never wore heated pants in college, but he still had a great career.

If anything, wearing heated pants is a performance enhancing move -- it will help his legs stay loose in the cold weather. It's not like he's wearing heated pants because he's a girly man and can't stand being in the cold. It's a move designed to help him perform at his highest level.

Dexter Manley said:
You guys are killing me with all this talk of "the weather is already in Josh Brown's head." The guy played his college ball at NEBRASKA. The weather here is a lot closer to Green Bay than it is to South Beach. And to my knowledge, Brown never wore heated pants in college, but he still had a great career.

If anything, wearing heated pants is a performance enhancing move -- it will help his legs stay loose in the cold weather. It's not like he's wearing heated pants because he's a girly man and can't stand being in the cold. It's a move designed to help him perform at his highest level.
And according to him, he's been wearing them for three years. Like the Jessica story, no one heard about her being there for the two games they won, just the game they lost. Now that it's the playoffs and they're going to GB it's a "Lambeau Mystique" getting into his head.
Suddenly, the warm-up pants worn by kicker Josh Brown were national news Wednesday. It all started innocently enough, when Brown said on his weekly radio show on KIRO-AM that he takes the battery-powered heaters he wears while hunting and puts them in his warm-up pants for cold-weather games. "I've worn these pants for three years," Brown said. "I don't understand why it's such a huge story." Because it's the playoffs, so the quirkier the story the better. Asked if the heaters went in his uniform pants, Brown said: "Not my uniform. That would be crazy. Absolutely not. You guys are nuts."

How is this different than receivers spraying "stick on" to their gloves, or offensive lineman putting slippery stuff on their jerseys?I don't get it? :popcorn:
Pretty sure the pants come of when he steps on the field. If not, then the OL can wear Carharts and Sorels with spikes coming out the bottom.

I've lived in the cold and I would worry more about my feet than my legs. In my experience, if your feet are warm everything is OK.

I've lived in the cold and I would worry more about my feet than my legs. In my experience, if your feet are warm everything is OK.
I've played soccer in cold weather and believe me, if your leg muscles aren't warmed up properly you can pull a muscle rather easily. Also, warming the muscles helps them stay "stretched" which is essential for a good follow through, especially on longer kicks.

You're right, the feet are the keys to happiness, but this more of a keeping muscles warmed up kinda thing. He's not gonna strain a muscle in his feet kicking with a leg that stiffened up from the cold.

I've played soccer in cold weather and believe me, if your leg muscles aren't warmed up properly you can pull a muscle rather easily. Also, warming the muscles helps them stay "stretched" which is essential for a good follow through, especially on longer kicks.
You're right, the feet are the keys to happiness, but this more of a keeping muscles warmed up kinda thing. He's not gonna strain a muscle in his feet kicking with a leg that stiffened up from the cold.
Yeah I agree but 26 is not that cold.

Yeah I agree but 26 is not that cold.
It's over 70 degrees colder than his body temp. Comfort isn't the issue, it's the performance of the muscles. The warmer the better.

In other news, QBs and WRs that wear gloves are a bunch of sissies, as well as any player that wears a jacket on the sidelines, anyone that sits near a portable heater on the sidelines, anyone that drinks any Gatorade, anyone wearing a hat on the sidelines, anyone seen blowing on their hands and anyone wearing long sleeves.

And I will be shirtless in section 353. You probably don't want to see that.. :goodposting:
From 353 you won't see much of anything either. ;)

I apologize if this has been said...

I'm worried about him seeing a lineman break through the line and getting scared and a little pee coming out and zap!

I apologize if this has been said...I'm worried about him seeing a lineman break through the line and getting scared and a little pee coming out and zap!
From Wiki
Brown began his football career after his family moved from Tulsa when he was an eighth-grade soccer player. Brown then became a running back, safety, punter, placekicker, kickoff returner, and punt returner. He made a 61-yard field goal in the state playoffs in 1996. He also ran for 1,891 yards and scored 51 touchdowns that season and finished his Foyil High School career with 9,136 all-purpose yards and 122 scores.Four-year letterman in both football and track and earned three basketball letters. Two-time Class A state champion in the high jump.Brown also jumped 6 feet, 8 inches to win the Oklahoma state title in the high jump in 1997 and '98. He qualified for the state finals in the 100 meter and 200 meter dashes.
He's 6' 215 lbs. He's obviously not up to par with his positions he played in high school at the NFL level, but he's never shied away from contact. He's thrown some great blocks, some good hits and tackles, he's even fast enough to track some people down. He's an actual athlete, not just a little soccer player turned kicker.

Users who are viewing this thread