What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mortgage Rates (1 Viewer)

I also had my property taxes lowered when a non-profit hospital in my town turned private.    And this is in NJ of all places.  If your kids ask you if miracles exist, you tell them about the time old man nutterbutter had his property taxes lowered in NJ.   

@Chadstroma, you happen to have someone in NJ I can speak to?    I just refinanced 2 months ago at 3.625 over 30.  Might be too late now, but I was thinking it wouldn't be worth it to do again but figured might as well talk to someone and see what they have to say.  TIA.
Sure do. Send me a PM with your contact info and I will pass it on to have him reach out and discuss. 

Who did you do the refi with 2 months ago? 

Sort of related...

County wide tax re-appraisals just came back, and my house came in at ~5% higher than what my recent appraisal came in at. Worth going through the appeals process for that amount of difference?
Potentially. The one contact I know of that does this professionally charges $100 flat fee and between 30-50% of the first year savings. For a $100 roll of the dice to have someone else do the work and potentially save big... sounds like a pretty good bet. And from what I have heard in Illinois, they usually come back with some savings. 

I also had my property taxes lowered when a non-profit hospital in my town turned private.    And this is in NJ of all places.  If your kids ask you if miracles exist, you tell them about the time old man nutterbutter had his property taxes lowered in NJ.   
I did some research before buying trying to figure out which county has the best property taxes in Illinois. I came by a national list. The top was all NJ counties, then some NY and then some Illinois. You guys get rolled there on your property taxes. 

Curious.... a lot of you guys have mentioned that I have been helpful with the info. I thought it might be useful to start a seperate thread with tips and advice on mortgages and other real estate/financial stuff I know of. Would that seem useful? I don't want to be presumptious since there is this thread and personal finance and real estate values etc.... 

Curious.... a lot of you guys have mentioned that I have been helpful with the info. I thought it might be useful to start a seperate thread with tips and advice on mortgages and other real estate/financial stuff I know of. Would that seem useful? I don't want to be presumptious since there is this thread and personal finance and real estate values etc.... 
very useful!

I check in here about every day just to see whats new.  

That lender you referred me too called me in about an hour and we had things wrapped in an afternoon.  Got me down from a 4.6 to a 3.5 30 year rate.  $2,000 in closing costs so the entire transaction pays for itself in about 11 months.  I was hoping to get a slightly better rate, but with the low costs it was still a no brainer.  

You're super helpful   :hifive:

Done :)

$850 out of pocket, but we get to skip next month's mortgage payment so that's more than covered. 

quoted 15 months to recoup the closing costs (mostly rolled in)

I personally like LESS threads to check in on, so like when you drop your knowledge in here

2cents

joey said:
I personally like LESS threads to check in on, so like when you drop your knowledge in here

2cents
Agreed. 

As is, it's somewhat odd that we have the personal finance thread and a 401k thread - there seems to be no difference.

If I hadn't said it before @Chadstroma, big time thank you. This will actually be my lowest home payment since 2006 when we lived in a house built in 1900. (I still love that house but it was cheap!) 

our current rate is 3.96...bought the home 2 years and 7 months ago.

Home is worth 1.5ish, we owe 1.00ish.

What rate could we get now and should we refi.(plenty of money and excellent credit) so assume best possible rate.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Worm said:
Sort of related...

County wide tax re-appraisals just came back, and my house came in at ~5% higher than what my recent appraisal came in at. Worth going through the appeals process for that amount of difference?
yes, Once it goes up, its the new basis for next year and so on. I hire a guy who charges me a third of what he saves me. That's a no-brainer.

Agreed. 

As is, it's somewhat odd that we have the personal finance thread and a 401k thread - there seems to be no difference.

If I hadn't said it before @Chadstroma, big time thank you. This will actually be my lowest home payment since 2006 when we lived in a house built in 1900. (I still love that house but it was cheap!) 
Glad to have helped to connect you two!

our current rate is 3.96...bought the home 2 years and 7 months ago.

Home is worth 1.5ish, we owe 1.00ish.

What rate could we get now and should we refi.(plenty of money and excellent credit) so assume best possible rate.

Thanks in advance!!
Check banks. The one area it is hard for brokers to compete is in jumbos. 

What do 15 year rates look like right now?  I'm at 2.875, which is stupid good, but if it gets better I'll happily go to plaid on the rate.

What do 15 year rates look like right now?  I'm at 2.875, which is stupid good, but if it gets better I'll happily go to plaid on the rate.

You are good. 
Agreed. 
Because of this thread, when I checked in on rates last week with my broker, she said that 15's were at 3.375.
I’m in the Bay Area so not sure if rates are different by region but we all know it’s very High cost of living here. 

Agreed. 
Because of this thread, when I checked in on rates last week with my broker, she said that 15's were at 3.375.
I’m in the Bay Area so not sure if rates are different by region but we all know it’s very High cost of living here. 
Reach out to me in PM, I will run it through for you. Provide this info there... 

Property value 

Current loan amount (if cash out how much cash you want)

Credit score

Zip code

Type of loan you currently have (conventional, FHA. VA, etc)

And out of curiosity, the company name of your broker.

I ran a quote for FHA today. 20yr was actually an eighth HIGHER than the 30yr. 
Isn’t that crazy? There never was a huge difference in the 30 and 20 rate but to actually be higher. Doesn’t that tell us the market thinks rates stay this low or go even lower? Ie they wanna lock in this rate for as long as possible? 

Isn’t that crazy? There never was a huge difference in the 30 and 20 rate but to actually be higher. Doesn’t that tell us the market thinks rates stay this low or go even lower? Ie they wanna lock in this rate for as long as possible? 
Just on FHA. Conventional still a slight decrease in rate on lower terms. To be honest... I don't know why and I only got one quote from one lender because the client isn't ready to do an application, it was just talking through things with an example. 

I know a couple of weeks ago we went inverted on yield curves which is usually a indication of a recession coming. I have been too busy to pay attention to markets much. Rates have multiple factors into them but biggest driving force is yield on treasuries (10 yr). 

Attention all Vets and those who know Vets...

A Marine Vet Loan Originator shared with me a thread in a Facebook post where a vet asked about the best places to get a VA loan. The responses from Vets turned my stomach. The reason it did was over and over again these vets were listing companies that as a way of standard procedure overcharge vets on rates and/or fees and origination points. The list was a who's who of lenders that take advantage of vets. Among the worst: Quicken, Veterans United, and New Day. Some places that have stellar reputations and do a lot of good in other areas like insurance or car loans but consistently over charge like USAA and Navy Federal Credit Union. Even banks who are just plain not competitive at all in any government loan. 

I will tell you a dirty little industry secret. Brokers are capped on what we can charge on VA loans. In fact, we are capped on all loans. However, if you are a "bank" (and by bank I don't mean your Chase or local Savings and Loan but you can be a non-depository Bank aka all you do is mortgage loans like Quicken, Fairway, LoanDepot, etc) you can charge more! In fact, when I get recruited by these places (and it happens often) that is what they lead with "Hey! We are a bank, so we can charge more on the govy's and you make more money!" (Govy's is industry talk for VA, FHA and USDA loans). 

PLEASE- if you are a Vet and ever want anything to do with a mortgage or know of any Vets; join this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vettedva/

It is full of professionals like myself committed to helping Vets get good information and help them make the best decisions while protecting their wallets from companies who see them as piggy banks to break into. There is a strict no solicitation rule in the group. If a Vet wants help they can get it but no one sells anything or they will get bounced out of the group. Too many vets are going to these places and have no idea that they could otherwise keep more of their money rather than handing it over to some of these scum bag lenders. It turns my stomach every time I hear about a Vet using one of these places because I know they got taken for a ride and abused but they have no idea and smile, say thank you and tell their buddies to go to the same lender to get abused as well. 

@Chadstroma's guy quoting me 15@2.875%, 20@3.125%, 30@3.3%.

Hmmm.

eta - leaning to the 20 year, paying extra to principal up to the 15 year monthly payment for the next 5 years.  At that point first kid enters college and if I need the extra monthly cash flow I can back off the extra payments - if not, I keep putting the extra in and end up fairly close to the 15 years anyway..  Is this logic sound?

@Chadstroma you got a Michigan guy?

ive got ~15 years left on a 30 year but my house has still not fully recovered value after 2008, so I’m in kind of a tricky situation

have a primary and secondary that combined are about 87% of the Zillow value (I know not the best tool but for a ballpark)I have been told I need to be at or below 80% to do the refi

would like to get it combined into 1 payment and save some money but want to avoid coming up with the difference (if that’s even an option) or losing out on the appraisal fee if it doesn’t hit the number

@Chadstroma's guy quoting me 15@2.875%, 20@3.125%, 30@3.3%.

Hmmm.

eta - leaning to the 20 year, paying extra to principal up to the 15 year monthly payment for the next 5 years.  At that point first kid enters college and if I need the extra monthly cash flow I can back off the extra payments - if not, I keep putting the extra in and end up fairly close to the 15 years anyway..  Is this logic sound?
You want to protect cash flow for sure. BUT that difference in rate makes a big difference in savings. If you are not SURE you will need the extra cash flow, one thought would be to go with the 15 yr and then get a HELOC down the road to help fund the kids college stuff as needed. 

That all said, there is no 'right' answer. There is the right route to take for you after considering all your options. 

Looks like I locked in too early.  oh well
It is hard to play the timing game on rates. I expected rates to drop today but no way for me to know for sure. I am a little gun shy of telling clients what to do with locking, even though I am right more times than I am not, no one has 100% forward vision. 

If you like the rate, then lock the rate and don't fret over it. You could have easily not locked and rates go up. 

@Chadstroma you got a Michigan guy?

ive got ~15 years left on a 30 year but my house has still not fully recovered value after 2008, so I’m in kind of a tricky situation

have a primary and secondary that combined are about 87% of the Zillow value (I know not the best tool but for a ballpark)I have been told I need to be at or below 80% to do the refi

would like to get it combined into 1 payment and save some money but want to avoid coming up with the difference (if that’s even an option) or losing out on the appraisal fee if it doesn’t hit the number
Yea, I got a Michigan guy for sure. A few. Send me a PM with your contact info and I will get you in touch with one to dive into the situation for you in more detail and see what options there may be. 

It was more tongue in cheek than anything.  No way to know what’s going to happen
I'm in the business. On a cookie cutter owner occupied refi with good credit depending on criteria and state you should be able to get like a 2.87% on a 15 year fixed and 3.125-3.25% on a 30 year fixed without paying points. Cash out loans, non-owner occupied, bad credit, jumbo, those will differ.

About as good as I've ever seen so a good time to refinance if you don't want to risk it.

But saying that, I have a strong belief rates are going to lower more.

Realistically, what’s the lowest they can possibly go? Not necessarily a prediction of how low they will go, but is there a lowest they can possibly go?

A quick update: 

The 10-year Treasury note yield TMUBMUSD10Y, -3.58% fell 5.5 basis points to trade at 1.322% on Tuesday, below its previous record low of 1.325% set in June 2016, Tradeweb data show. This comes after the 30-year bond yield TMUBMUSD30Y, -1.93% dropped to a new all-time low at the end of last week.
Literally, "historic" lows. Just missing the ALL TIME low on the 10 year. The 10 year is the single biggest factor to influencing mortgage rates. What I am seeing in shopping lenders as that they are in general hesitant to follow the bond market lead right now. That is largely due to capacity. The good lenders will use their rates as a way to keep quality control and not overextend themselves. The crappy lenders will drop their rates and let God figure it out on the backend as they blow through locks and drop the ball on deals. This is a trifecta of sorts for mortgage lending. Low rates, a healthy real estate market (going into buying season) and strong job market. Rates are low, housing is strong and people can qualify for loans. UWM, the largest wholesale lender in the country and fastest growing lender period, has been on a hiring spree. Between them and the devil.... er, I mean, Quicken, I think half of Michigan works for either of those two companies right now. 

If you haven't refi'd recently, now is the time to do it. If you are in the process and are floating, now is a good time to lock. Is it possible to go lower? Yes. How much lower? I have no freaking clue. We are close to uncharted territory here. Bad news news is good mortgage news and good news news is bad mortgage news. If the virus gets worse, that will drive the stock market down and bond yields down. I don't want to get political in here but with Sanders looking to be the front runner for the Democratic nomination, if he were to win, I would expect a stock market implosion on historic levels which would drive bonds down as well. And this is all in healthy economy. When we hit a recession that will further drive market pressures towards good mortgage rates. But.... tomorrow we could get news that the virus is contained mostly or not all that bad or someone other than Sanders is President or we continue to have a healthy economy.... if I had a crystal ball, I wouldn't be typing this in my living room of my modest house in the burbs of Chicago but on a tropical beach looking at girls in bikini's run by as I sipped a fruity girly drink with an umbrella in it. 

Looking to buy property where one of my daycares is located.  Met with bank last night and getting 3.5% for SBA piece and 4.5% for bank piece on 20 year fixed.

Looking to buy property where one of my daycares is located.  Met with bank last night and getting 3.5% for SBA piece and 4.5% for bank piece on 20 year fixed.
Commercial is a whole different animal. I do not deal with them often at all. I believe my new brokerage has the capability to do them and there is no licensing issues with commercial, so if you wanted to, I could look into it more for you. If so, message me and we can talk through the details. 

We are supposed to close on 3/13

Because of good credit scores, we can get 3.125 on 30 years with 10% down and only have to give 1500 at closing to pre-pay PMI for the life of the loan.

The rate with 20% down is the same, but we'd save 1500 at the closing table (no PMI/payoff)

To me, that's a no-brainer to maintain an extra 50k cash at such a  low cost. Am I missing something. 

(monthly note will be $170 higher, since I'm borrowing more money)

We are supposed to close on 3/13

Because of good credit scores, we can get 3.125 on 30 years with 10% down and only have to give 1500 at closing to pre-pay PMI for the life of the loan.

The rate with 20% down is the same, but we'd save 1500 at the closing table (no PMI/payoff)

To me, that's a no-brainer to maintain an extra 50k cash at such a  low cost. Am I missing something. 

(monthly note will be $170 higher, since I'm borrowing more money)

I would want to know some more info to make a good decision.... Here are things I would think through... 

Where is that money going to be? Will I expect a higher return of 3.125% on it plus $1500 on it? Or is it going to sit in a bank account making next to nothing? Is this money that is extra padding to your personal reserves or is this your reserves (meaning, do you have 3-6 month emergency fund with or without this money)? What is the likelihood of me needing to tap into the cash? If low, then maybe setting up a HELOC to act as that backdrop if needed makes sense. 

Also, no pricing difference on 80% vs 90% LTV on the rate? 

Users who are viewing this thread