What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSL2- Round 1-4 (1 Viewer)

Worst Picks:

1.07 Aaron Rudnicki Clinton Portis, RB7 Washington

1.10 dpeease Tom Brady, QB1 New England

1.11 Duke1948 Peyton Manning, QB2 Indianapolis

1.12 Thom Yorke Randy Moss, WR1 New England

2.01 renesauz Reggie Wayne, WR2 Indianapolis

2.05 Thom Yorke Willis McGahee, RB15 Baltimore

2.08 Boston Fred Kellen Winslow, TE2 Cleveland

2.10 Aaron Rudnicki Jason Witten, TE3 Dallas

2.13 busman Jamal Lewis, RB17 Cleveland

2.15 Atomic Punk Carson Palmer, QB3 Cincinnati

2.16 Jeff Pasquino Drew Brees, QB4 New Orleans

3.02 Atomic Punk LenDale White, RB18, Tennessee

3.03 old milwaukee Tony Romo, QB5 Dallas

3.11 Duke1948 Brandon Jacobs RB20 New York Giants

4.06 Duke1948 Vernon Davis, TE6 San Francisco

Best Picks:

1.05 Radballs Steven Jackson, RB5 St. Louis

1.08 Valence Frank Gore, RB8 San Francisco

1.09 Boston Fred Larry Johnson, RB9 Kansas City

2.02 Shadowfax Terrell Owens, WR3 Dallas

2.03 Blue-Kun Antonio Gates, TE1 San Diego

2.04 Reaper Laurence Maroney, RB14 New England

2.09 Valence Maurice Jones Drew, RB17 Jacksonville

2.12 Radballs Steve Smith, WR6, Carolina

3.05 Radballs Chad Johnson, WR10 Cincinnati

3.06 jeter23 Marques Colston, WR11 New Orleans

4.07 dpeease Roy Williams, WR20 Detroit

4.11 jeter23 Lee Evans, WR22 Buffalo

4.15 Dallas Clark TE IND

Waiting until round 6 will leave me with nothing at TE, so I'm grabbing Manning's favorite safety valve now.

PMing Jeff

5.02 Jonathon Stewart RB Rookie

There are a few RB hungry teams in the middle third of the draft and Stewart looks like the real deal. If he can even come close to Lynch's 07 performance, this should be a steal.

WRs ... who needs them?

PMing OM

Worst Picks:1.12 Thom Yorke Randy Moss, WR1 New England2.05 Thom Yorke Willis McGahee, RB15 BaltimoreBest Picks:1.05 Radballs Steven Jackson, RB5 St. Louis1.08 Valence Frank Gore, RB8 San Francisco1.09 Boston Fred Larry Johnson, RB9 Kansas City2.02 Shadowfax Terrell Owens, WR3 Dallas2.03 Blue-Kun Antonio Gates, TE1 San Diego2.04 Reaper Laurence Maroney, RB14 New England2.09 Valence Maurice Jones Drew, RB17 Jacksonville2.12 Radballs Steve Smith, WR6, Carolina3.05 Radballs Chad Johnson, WR10 Cincinnati3.06 jeter23 Marques Colston, WR11 New Orleans4.07 dpeease Roy Williams, WR20 Detroit4.11 jeter23 Lee Evans, WR22 Buffalo
:wall:

BassNBrew said:
Wow is fred reaching this year.
I'm actually really happy with this team. Larry Johnson looked a lot better than I expected this year, has a recoverable injury, and the team seems to understand that it needs to improve its offensive line. At my second pick, I had a choice between the best crappy RB available (pass), the best tier 2 receiver, or the second best TE. I chose the second best TE, because I didn't feel particularly confident in any one receiver at that point in the draft. Instead, I got not one but two guys I'd put at the bottom of the top tier in Harrison and Burress. Of course, far be it from me to criticize the great BassNBrew, who took Ryan Grant in the first round and Owen Daniels in the sixth?

Thom Yorke said:
BassNBrew said:
Worst Picks:1.12 Thom Yorke Randy Moss, WR1 New England2.05 Thom Yorke Willis McGahee, RB15 BaltimoreBest Picks:1.05 Radballs Steven Jackson, RB5 St. Louis1.08 Valence Frank Gore, RB8 San Francisco1.09 Boston Fred Larry Johnson, RB9 Kansas City2.02 Shadowfax Terrell Owens, WR3 Dallas2.03 Blue-Kun Antonio Gates, TE1 San Diego2.04 Reaper Laurence Maroney, RB14 New England2.09 Valence Maurice Jones Drew, RB17 Jacksonville2.12 Radballs Steve Smith, WR6, Carolina3.05 Radballs Chad Johnson, WR10 Cincinnati3.06 jeter23 Marques Colston, WR11 New Orleans4.07 dpeease Roy Williams, WR20 Detroit4.11 jeter23 Lee Evans, WR22 Buffalo
:thumbup:
You might want to check BNB's picks so far in WSL1 and his results last year.... :P

Jeff Pasquino said:
Pretty busy today..... someone start the next thread for Rounds 5-8?
Someone?(Makes no sense for a Mod to start it as we can edit whatever - so getting someone to start it adds another editor to the mix....)

BassNBrew said:
Worst Picks:1.07 Aaron Rudnicki Clinton Portis, RB7 Washington1.10 dpeease Tom Brady, QB1 New England1.11 Duke1948 Peyton Manning, QB2 Indianapolis1.12 Thom Yorke Randy Moss, WR1 New England2.01 renesauz Reggie Wayne, WR2 Indianapolis2.05 Thom Yorke Willis McGahee, RB15 Baltimore2.08 Boston Fred Kellen Winslow, TE2 Cleveland2.10 Aaron Rudnicki Jason Witten, TE3 Dallas2.13 busman Jamal Lewis, RB17 Cleveland2.15 Atomic Punk Carson Palmer, QB3 Cincinnati2.16 Jeff Pasquino Drew Brees, QB4 New Orleans3.02 Atomic Punk LenDale White, RB18, Tennessee3.03 old milwaukee Tony Romo, QB5 Dallas3.11 Duke1948 Brandon Jacobs RB20 New York Giants4.06 Duke1948 Vernon Davis, TE6 San FranciscoBest Picks:1.05 Radballs Steven Jackson, RB5 St. Louis1.08 Valence Frank Gore, RB8 San Francisco1.09 Boston Fred Larry Johnson, RB9 Kansas City2.02 Shadowfax Terrell Owens, WR3 Dallas2.03 Blue-Kun Antonio Gates, TE1 San Diego2.04 Reaper Laurence Maroney, RB14 New England2.09 Valence Maurice Jones Drew, RB17 Jacksonville2.12 Radballs Steve Smith, WR6, Carolina3.05 Radballs Chad Johnson, WR10 Cincinnati3.06 jeter23 Marques Colston, WR11 New Orleans4.07 dpeease Roy Williams, WR20 Detroit4.11 jeter23 Lee Evans, WR22 Buffalo
You might want to check BNB's picks so far in WSL1 and his results last year.... wink1.gif
and these words of wisdom are brought to you by a guy that was booted week 4. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
BassNBrew said:
I'm actually really happy with this team. Larry Johnson looked a lot better than I expected this year, has a recoverable injury, and the team seems to understand that it needs to improve its offensive line. At my second pick, I had a choice between the best crappy RB available (pass), the best tier 2 receiver, or the second best TE. I chose the second best TE, because I didn't feel particularly confident in any one receiver at that point in the draft. Instead, I got not one but two guys I'd put at the bottom of the top tier in Harrison and Burress. Of course, far be it from me to criticize the great BassNBrew, who took Ryan Grant in the first round and Owen Daniels in the sixth?
Do I need to point you to the stud TE thread from last year? Have you done a 180 and come over to the dark side???

Do I need to point you to the stud TE thread from last year? Have you done a 180 and come over to the dark side???
My early-offseason draft strategy is much different than when it gets closer to September. Right now, guys like Ryan Grant are way down on my list, because as good as he looked the second half of this year, it may have been "fresh legs", like so many late season stud RBs before him, and he's entirely replacable if a stud RB becomes available in the draft or free agency. Same goes for LenDale and Brandon Jacobs - I have no idea how good a hold they'll have on their starting positions later in the season. So I bump up guys who have a lock on their starting job, even if they have other questions around them, and bump down guys who have a lot of uncertainty, until the middle/late rounds. Then I'm looking for the exact opposite - in the 20th round, if there's somebody who could be a stud if given an opportunity, I'd much rather have them than the guy who probably won't do much. As for receivers, I think TJ Housh just had a career year. I don't know if he can repeat it. If he can, he was a better pick than Winslow, but I wasn't looking to find out. Jones-Drew is a good player, but I'm not a huge fan. He strikes me as too boom or bust. I would have loved Steve Smith or Edwards there, but they have question marks at quarterback. Jamal Lewis has a ton of wear and tear, you can only count on 8 weeks of Andre Johnson and his QB looking good together, and while Holt/Chad Johnson are viable picks there, each had their own concerns this year, too. In this case, where I didn't have a particular stud WR I wanted, and felt that there would still be good receivers available later (Burress and Harrison were very good value where I got them in the 3rd/4th, IMO), I was left choosing between QB, TE and RB. None of the RBs were stable enough for me to feel confident taking them in the second. And with Manning and Brady off the board, none of the QBs seemed worth such an early pick, either. That left me choosing between a bunch of guys where none of them was really a value pick, and in that case, I took the one who had the biggest VBD value relative to a worst starter baseline, because it gave me the best chance of differentiating myself early in the season. To me, it's not a change in draft strategy, so much as I've devalued a lot of players early in the offseason for various reasons and I didn't have a good reason to devalue Winslow.

why were clinton portis and jason witten 2 of the worst picks?
I liked both of those picks. Portis just came off a great year after starting the season injured. Imagine what he'll do with a healthy offseason. And while I think Witten's value is a little inflated right now, he's still a solid pick at that spot. Later in the season, I'd agree with Bass that Witten was a reach, but right now it's a fine pick.

My early-offseason draft strategy is much different than when it gets closer to September. Right now, guys like Ryan Grant are way down on my list, because as good as he looked the second half of this year, it may have been "fresh legs", like so many late season stud RBs before him, and he's entirely replacable if a stud RB becomes available in the draft or free agency. Same goes for LenDale and Brandon Jacobs - I have no idea how good a hold they'll have on their starting positions later in the season. So I bump up guys who have a lock on their starting job, even if they have other questions around them, and bump down guys who have a lot of uncertainty, until the middle/late rounds. Then I'm looking for the exact opposite - in the 20th round, if there's somebody who could be a stud if given an opportunity, I'd much rather have them than the guy who probably won't do much. As for receivers, I think TJ Housh just had a career year. I don't know if he can repeat it. If he can, he was a better pick than Winslow, but I wasn't looking to find out. Jones-Drew is a good player, but I'm not a huge fan. He strikes me as too boom or bust. I would have loved Steve Smith or Edwards there, but they have question marks at quarterback. Jamal Lewis has a ton of wear and tear, you can only count on 8 weeks of Andre Johnson and his QB looking good together, and while Holt/Chad Johnson are viable picks there, each had their own concerns this year, too. In this case, where I didn't have a particular stud WR I wanted, and felt that there would still be good receivers available later (Burress and Harrison were very good value where I got them in the 3rd/4th, IMO), I was left choosing between QB, TE and RB. None of the RBs were stable enough for me to feel confident taking them in the second. And with Manning and Brady off the board, none of the QBs seemed worth such an early pick, either. That left me choosing between a bunch of guys where none of them was really a value pick, and in that case, I took the one who had the biggest VBD value relative to a worst starter baseline, because it gave me the best chance of differentiating myself early in the season. To me, it's not a change in draft strategy, so much as I've devalued a lot of players early in the offseason for various reasons and I didn't have a good reason to devalue Winslow.
Thanks...very informative.

I really shouldn't have included Portis as a bad pick. He's the first guy selected in this draft that doesn't have a top 5 ceiling IMO. I would have prefer Gore or LJ at that spot. Regarding Witten, too early for a TE...especially with Steve Smith on the board. Smith+Gonzo > Marshall+Witten.

Thanks...very informative.
:confused: It's stuff like this that really makes the WSL and PDSL valuable.

I really shouldn't have included Portis as a bad pick. He's the first guy selected in this draft that doesn't have a top 5 ceiling IMO. I would have prefer Gore or LJ at that spot. Regarding Witten, too early for a TE...especially with Steve Smith on the board. Smith+Gonzo > Marshall+Witten.
Witten was a lot more valuable than Steve Smith this year. Witten outscored Gates and Winslow this year and is in a better situation than both of them. We saw Chambers and Vincent Jackson emerging in San Diego so Gates is no longer the primary receiving option that he used to be. Browns QB situation is up in the air and I don't want my TE1 playing with Brady Quinn next year. Gonzo is due for a massive drop just like we saw with Marvin Harrison this year. I'd rather get out one year too early than try to go to the well one time too many.as for Steve Smith, he was a huge disappointment this season. I have a hard time drafting guys who went bust a month after the season just ended, even if it was the QB injuries that caused his decline.Getting Witten as the 3rd TE off the board is nowhere near one of the worst picks in this draft. If it is, every other pick must have been really really good.

Witten was a lot more valuable than Steve Smith this year. Witten outscored Gates and Winslow this year and is in a better situation than both of them. We saw Chambers and Vincent Jackson emerging in San Diego so Gates is no longer the primary receiving option that he used to be. Browns QB situation is up in the air and I don't want my TE1 playing with Brady Quinn next year. Gonzo is due for a massive drop just like we saw with Marvin Harrison this year. I'd rather get out one year too early than try to go to the well one time too many.as for Steve Smith, he was a huge disappointment this season. I have a hard time drafting guys who went bust a month after the season just ended, even if it was the QB injuries that caused his decline.Getting Witten as the 3rd TE off the board is nowhere near one of the worst picks in this draft. If it is, every other pick must have been really really good.
Even though I took Gates early in the WSL, I tend to agree with Aaron here, re: Chambers & Vjax. it's also a coaching style, Norv seems to like to get big plays out of the passing game from the WR. That being said, Norv's got a decent TE history with Novacek and two good wideouts as well. The SD passing game is on the cusp of becoming elite though, the top 3 options are going to cause fits for alot of D's.I still like Gates better than winslow due to the injury and uncertain QB thing, Witten is at his level. Parcells seemed to make him block an awful lot, we'll see if Witten maintains his stud status at TE in year 2 of Wade/Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread