What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (2 Viewers)

We got Magblast recently. Fun, accessible card game. Space fleet combat theme. My son and I love it, my daughter who gets ganged up on, not so much.
Pretty soon, she's gonna have all the power in the world...I say continue to get your shots in now while you can...

It has now become my mission in life to collect every card possible for Cards Against Humanity. Holy lord, this game is perfect. It's like seeing a star explode.

Been playing Burger Joint with my daughter recently. Nice little 2-player resource allocation game, with one side trying to build a hamburger restaurant empire before their opponent can build a similar pizza chain. Fun little 30-minute head-to-head battle to take a break from screens. Definitely inspired by Settlers Of Catan.

It has now become my mission in life to collect every card possible for Cards Against Humanity. Holy lord, this game is perfect. It's like seeing a star explode.
Don't forget Crabs Adjust Humidity - "unauthorized" expansion pack
Got 'em. ;)

To date, I own the game, expansions 1-4, The Big Black Box, and Crabs Adjust Humidity 1 & 2. Just trying to nail down the holiday cards and any additional cards that were given out at trade shows, etc. I kinda like the game.

any of you nerd in Dallas, meet us tonight in Plano for gaming goodness!

We believe that tabletop game players are uniquely suited to build better local communities because of the relationships that games encourage.

NOW - TWO DFW NERD NIGHT CHARITY PARTIES EACH MONTH!

Dallas Games Marathon throws a gaming party for the benefit of DFW Nerd Night's charity each month, as two gaming organizations work together to make the Dallas/Fort Worth community a better place for everyone!

The party is FREE to attend, and the full game library of DGM is available to everyone!

February 7, 2014 - For benefit of ManeGait Therapeutic Horsemanship

www.manegait.org

930 West Parker Suite 530, Plano, Texas 75075

I got Dominion a couple of years ago, opened it and looked at the directions . . . and got completely overwhelmed. They look incredibly complex. Is there a cliff's notes version of the directions?
You just need to play through it once or twice. It's not complicated at all. My 8 year old can play this game. And it's a fantastic game.
:goodposting:

I just played this one for the first time the other night. It takes one time through to really get the hang of it. It's a nice game, but it can be a little long so I wouldn't recommend it if you want to play other games in the same night.

I own three different expansions (6 maps) for Power Grid now. I need to actually play through them all.

The game's so good.

Picked up Netrunner recently. Fantastic game. Incredibly complicated and overwhelming at first and one of those games that is much easier to watch someone else play. However, we got through it, watched a couple youtube videos of gameplay, and really like it. The replayability of this game has to be off the charts.

This game is definitely not for the light gamer. You probably need to be a full-on :nerd:

I got Dominion a couple of years ago, opened it and looked at the directions . . . and got completely overwhelmed. They look incredibly complex. Is there a cliff's notes version of the directions?
You just need to play through it once or twice. It's not complicated at all. My 8 year old can play this game. And it's a fantastic game.

I just played this one for the first time the other night. It takes one time through to really get the hang of it. It's a nice game, but it can be a little long so I wouldn't recommend it if you want to play other games in the same night.
I don't think I've ever see the game take more than 30 minutes, which is short compared to a lot of the other games in this thread.

I'd be interested in knowing what games people think are just as good but take less time - are there any 10-20 minute games of this quality out there that are good for families?

I don't think I've ever see the game take more than 30 minutes, which is short compared to a lot of the other games in this thread.

I'd be interested in knowing what games people think are just as good but take less time - are there any 10-20 minute games of this quality out there that are good for families?
Zooloretto is short, dunno about 20 minutes though.

Race for the Galaxy is very short, probably in that range once you've played about 3-4 times. Love Letter is a very short game.

But the real winner is 7 Wonders. 18 turns long, each played simultaneously. Game averages about 45-50 minutes through the first few playthroughs and then it clicks for everyone and you can play it with a group in 25-35 minutes, no matter the size of the group.

7 Wonders is my group's favorite game to play, deservedly so. Your primary actions and strategies have long-term effects on you and your neighbors, and since it's played simultaneously, you're always engaged in the game, not just waiting for someone else to go. The expansions make it better (Cities adds one turn to each round, too). The games are never the same, especially if you change who you sit by, and randomize the wonder boards.

Zooloretto is short, dunno about 20 minutes though.

Race for the Galaxy is very short, probably in that range once you've played about 3-4 times. Love Letter is a very short game.

But the real winner is 7 Wonders. 18 turns long, each played simultaneously. Game averages about 45-50 minutes through the first few playthroughs and then it clicks for everyone and you can play it with a group in 25-35 minutes, no matter the size of the group.

7 Wonders is my group's favorite game to play, deservedly so. Your primary actions and strategies have long-term effects on you and your neighbors, and since it's played simultaneously, you're always engaged in the game, not just waiting for someone else to go. The expansions make it better (Cities adds one turn to each round, too). The games are never the same, especially if you change who you sit by, and randomize the wonder boards.
We like 7 Wonders, and Dominion.

Race for the Galaxy we tried once, and on that first try it seemed too complicated so we put it on shelf and haven't tried again. Does it take a couple of tries to get the hang of the strategy for that one, or were we just too dumb? Maybe should give it another try.

This was the first time for all of us and it felt like it took a while (maybe longer than it actually was), but I acknowledge it picks up once you get the hang of it. Still a lot of cards to play through though.

Zooloretto is short, dunno about 20 minutes though.Race for the Galaxy is very short, probably in that range once you've played about 3-4 times. Love Letter is a very short game.

Balderdash can be hilarious with the right group of people. Need at least five folks and you waste a lot of paper.

I've found a couple of YouTube channels that teach you games and walk you through turns of a lot of games. Pretty helpful for games with lots of cards and parts that seem more complicated to get started, such as Dominion, etc.

I've found a couple of YouTube channels that teach you games and walk you through turns of a lot of games. Pretty helpful for games with lots of cards and parts that seem more complicated to get started, such as Dominion, etc.
If you haven't found his channel yet, check out Will Weaton's tabletop. He invites 3 D-B list celebrities usually from the nerd world and explains a a 30-45 minute game and they play a complete session.

Don't forget Crabs Adjust Humidity - "unauthorized" expansion pack
Got 'em. ;)

To date, I own the game, expansions 1-4, The Big Black Box, and Crabs Adjust Humidity 1 & 2. Just trying to nail down the holiday cards and any additional cards that were given out at trade shows, etc. I kinda like the game.
Can't believe I missed this stuff until now. Now I'm looking for a set.

Being playing the crap out of "Dominion" and "Dominion: Prosperity". I can see ultimately getting all 9 expansions to this thing...is so fun.

Got back into "Settlers of Catan"...forgotten how good this game is...

Finally beat a 5 Epidemic card version of Pandemic.

Have any of you guys played any of the expansions to Pandemic? I'd like to get one.

Just ordered "Space Truckers"...can't wait to give it a try.

Any free online games worth checking out? I've been playing a lot of Through the Ages (a great civilization game) at http://www.boardgaming-online.com , and I've played a bunch of warlight (very good risk style game) at http://warlight.net . I used to play Amun-Re at spielbyweb and Samurai at mabiweb, but both have since been taken down. There's other games at those sites, but none of them are really all that exciting. (Hacienda, Bus and Wallenstein are still active at http://www.spielbyweb.com and are all good if you're interested).

Any other good ones that people know about? I especially like two player, turn based games where you can play it fast if you're both around or stop whenever you want if you have a meeting, get a phone call, etc. I'd prefer not to download an app, but I'm interested in seeing whatever you guys might have found.

I own three different expansions (6 maps) for Power Grid now. I need to actually play through them all.

The game's so good.
I've never played Power Grid, but it's been on my radar for years. Would love to hear your thoughts on the game.

Picked up Netrunner recently. Fantastic game. Incredibly complicated and overwhelming at first and one of those games that is much easier to watch someone else play. However, we got through it, watched a couple youtube videos of gameplay, and really like it. The replayability of this game has to be off the charts.

This game is definitely not for the light gamer. You probably need to be a full-on :nerd:
I have this but have not been able to get myself to sit down to go through the rules and watch the youtube videos yet. I don't mind a complicated game, but sometimes I dread of the work it takes to get it going.

For all you Dominion fans, I only played this one night, but it went well Trains. Pretty much the same deck building mechanic as Dominion with a board.

Being playing the crap out of "Dominion" and "Dominion: Prosperity". I can see ultimately getting all 9 expansions to this thing...is so fun.

Have any of you guys played any of the expansions to Pandemic? I'd like to get one.

don't get all of the expansions. some of them really throw off the balance of the game, from what i hear. i know intrigue is a popular one, and prosperity.

the first expansion of Pandemic makes it harder to win the game. like it needed that.

ive heard great things about space trucker, but have yet to play it. you don't happen to live in Dallas, do you? :)

the first expansion of Pandemic makes it harder to win the game. like it needed that.

:)
I've only played On the Brink on the IOS version of pandemic (which is a good cheap way to learn the game), but I tend to win under regular rules and On The Brink rules at a similar rate (which is maybe 40% or so on 5 normal?). I do have to play a bit different. The larger number of special cards means that (IMO) it's harder to just run the Scientist/Researcher combo, because you get less city cards. But you also have more options to play "defense."

I've only played On the Brink on the IOS version of pandemic (which is a good cheap way to learn the game), but I tend to win under regular rules and On The Brink rules at a similar rate (which is maybe 40% or so on 5 normal?). I do have to play a bit different. The larger number of special cards means that (IMO) it's harder to just run the Scientist/Researcher combo, because you get less city cards. But you also have more options to play "defense."
i have yet to win a game on IOS Pandemic, even the base game. I did win my first physical game of Pandemic, though.

The difference is that in the physical game, there were other people to carry me, and I'm a maroon.

i have yet to win a game on IOS Pandemic, even the base game. I did win my first physical game of Pandemic, though.

The difference is that in the physical game, there were other people to carry me, and I'm a maroon.
I think the most common error, and certainly the error I made the most, is playing to manage the board versus playing to satisfy the win conditions. The best way to start winning at least 1 in 4 games or so, is to decide to play as little defense as possible. I used to lose a lot when the city card deck ran out and where I was a move or two away from curing the last disease. That never happens now. I lose a lot faster when I lose, sometimes having cured only one or two diseases because I get nailed on outbreaks. But when I don't get nailed by outbreaks, I generally win.

I think the most common error, and certainly the error I made the most, is playing to manage the board versus playing to satisfy the win conditions. The best way to start winning at least 1 in 4 games or so, is to decide to play as little defense as possible. I used to lose a lot when the city card deck ran out and where I was a move or two away from curing the last disease. That never happens now. I lose a lot faster when I lose, sometimes having cured only one or two diseases because I get nailed on outbreaks. But when I don't get nailed by outbreaks, I generally win.
i *JUST* started doing this, because i would run out of cards every time. it only took me 100 games to figure that out. :(

don't get all of the expansions. some of them really throw off the balance of the game, from what i hear. i know intrigue is a popular one, and prosperity.the first expansion of Pandemic makes it harder to win the game. like it needed that.

ive heard great things about space trucker, but have yet to play it. you don't happen to live in Dallas, do you? :)
SoCal...sorry

Just grabbed Settlers of Catan(finally). I've heard about it from so many people for so long, I decided to go to the game store with the kids to get it.

Fun times!

Long standing fan of Catan.

My kids are 5 and 7 and have learned to play Sushi Go and Monopoly Deal which are two pretty good card based games that don't take long to play and are fairly easy to pick up. Great family games.

I own Carcassonne but have never really got into it.

Recently bought the card based Munchkin which has lots of humour but needs a certain audience and takes a bit of time to figure out.

In light of the Confederate flag hoo-haw, I occasionally play a game called For the People. It's a recreation of the Civil War. Pretty interesting, will teach you a lot about that period and the people involved. Fairly advanced, but a lot of fun.

Anyone play Dead of Winter Crossroads, and anyone have a solid 2 person catan setup?
I've played the hell out of it...great game.MiniDoss even enjoys it.

Next level boardgaming...very fun.
For dead of winter can it work well with two people? It says 2-5 I believe. I'll probably have to youtube it to learn so I can teach the girlfriend quick enough before she gets bored.

Saw Ticket to Ride mentioned in here once or twice. We started playing it with my mom & dad about, geez, almost a year ago now. Three-player or four-player, it's fantastic with some luck but enough compensatory strategy to make it highly replayable time and again. The "bells and whistles" (heh), i.e., the game design, is really nice too, so everything is visually attractive and cleverly made. There are all sorts of expansions, too, with different geographic maps (and a few rule variations), although we have not tried any of those yet (the principal game map uses the U.S.).

There's an online version as well that I find quite fun. I've played a lot of two-player games there; any more than that online, without the fun of interacting with your opponents personally, doesn't work quite as well for me anyway, not really because of the game but just how it has to take place online.

Any free online games worth checking out? I've been playing a lot of Through the Ages (a great civilization game) at http://www.boardgaming-online.com , and I've played a bunch of warlight (very good risk style game) at http://warlight.net . I used to play Amun-Re at spielbyweb and Samurai at mabiweb, but both have since been taken down. There's other games at those sites, but none of them are really all that exciting. (Hacienda, Bus and Wallenstein are still active at http://www.spielbyweb.comand are all good if you're interested).

Any other good ones that people know about? I especially like two player, turn based games where you can play it fast if you're both around or stop whenever you want if you have a meeting, get a phone call, etc. I'd prefer not to download an app, but I'm interested in seeing whatever you guys might have found.
. . . and many of us FBG Warlighters personally wish you would come back and play some games with us. I personally would love to get crushed by you in a series of 1v1s so I can watch your strategies and get better, or maybe even win one and then pretend immediately thereafter that I don't know you and am confused by rematch requests. ;) (Seriously, come back over.)

Anyone here tried Splendor?

Newer game, decent ranking on boardgamegeek, not too expensive, and seems to play quickly with replayability:
Splendor is a fantastic game. I've dumped hours into this one already. Superb engine builder. It feels like a better version of Ticket to Ride, though without the cool train theme.

Games I've been playing lately:

D&D 5th Edition - my first time into tabletop RPG, playing with my newlywed wife, another couple, and a good mutual friend as DM

Splendor - Engine building

Star Realms - Deckbuilding

Sushi Go - Card drafting

Machi Koro (with and without Harbor expansion) - Dice Roller that reminds me a lot of Catan tbh

Castles of Mad King Ludwig - Tile laying

Camel Up - betting

I give all of the above very favorable ratings. Castles of Mad King Ludwig is an awesome tile laying game - imagine having to buy pieces for your own little solitaire Carcassonne map, but the pieces are various shapes and sizes.

Camel Up is a sweet game for a crowded house - I think it plays up to 8! We've ever only got up to 6.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread