What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (2 Viewers)

Todem said:
Anyone ever play Axis and Allies? I have always been very curious about that game.

I love Risk. I also have the much sought after Lord of the Rings Trilogy edition of Risk. Great game.

I see it looks very daunting, in-depth and a real time sink if your committed to it.
3 of my friends and I played Axis and Allies for a two year span in the early/mid 90's. Excellent game! Worth the time to learn and play.

If my friends and I didn't move out of town to other locations, we'd probably still be playing to this day.

So far really liking SW: X-Wing miniatures. My son and I played several games yesterday. Money pit for sure, but so fun. The miniatures are really well done, too.

The local every is fairly kid friendly up until 7PM when they kick all kids out (no disagreement here).

My daughter and I have had some Epic Sorry! Games. Simple but fun. She's actually a really good Jenga player now.

Anyone ever play Axis and Allies? I have always been very curious about that game.

I love Risk. I also have the much sought after Lord of the Rings Trilogy edition of Risk. Great game.

I see it looks very daunting, in-depth and a real time sink if your committed to it.
3 of my friends and I played Axis and Allies for a two year span in the early/mid 90's. Excellent game! Worth the time to learn and play.

If my friends and I didn't move out of town to other locations, we'd probably still be playing to this day.
Picked up the Europe 1942 second edition.

Game is flat out amazing. My brother-in law and I were playing and we played for a good 5 hours before one of us won the game. We agreed to a monthly game. Once we play the crap out of this version we are picking up the 1940 Europe and Pacific 2nd editions which is a gigantic total world at war game. But we are a long ways from getting that one. It is huge. I may pick up the simplified 1941 game before that one. But wow! Easily the best board war game I have ever played. Took an hour to set it up and we made some mistakes early but picked up on all the nuances and rules in our first play through.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, and i could be wrong, but i think he was just trying to find a game that seemed appropriate for the intellectual level of someone who would come into a board game thread and indicate that they believe all board games are for dorks.

I hate to speak for him though.

I think, and i could be wrong, but i think he was just trying to find a game that seemed appropriate for the intellectual level of someone who would come into a board game thread and indicate that they believe all board games are for dorks.

I never stated that. I only clicked on the link provided, saw that most of the games involved magic, monsters, or spaceships, and asked a question. And I don't think board games are for dorks, in fact I'm looking for a good one for the family. Just one that everyone can relate to (not just dorks).

looking for some good board/card games that can be played with a casual crowd, just to drink & laugh. I like heavier games, but gotta stick with the lowest common denominator so everyone has a good time. plus, we drink...a lot.

looking at some obvious ones like Cards Against Humanity, Monopoly (lots of special editions - Star Wars, Walking Dead, etc.), Bang!, etc. might try some with a little more strategy, like King of Tokyo/New York, Pandemic, etc.

has anyone played Exploding Kittens? or what seems like the ultimate dumb party game, this one?

I never stated that. I only clicked on the link provided, saw that most of the games involved magic, monsters, or spaceships, and asked a question. And I don't think board games are for dorks, in fact I'm looking for a good one for the family. Just one that everyone can relate to (not just dorks).
sorry, i misinterpreted the red ;)

just giving you a hard time

depending on your family (ages) ticket to ride is fantastic

Most don't include magic or monsters or spacechips.

Take a look at the following:

Ticket to Ride

Dominion

7 Wonders (not on sale, though)

Five Tribes

Splendor

Settlers of Catan

In particular, you won't ever find Dominion any cheaper. These are solid strategy games that are good for family play.

Todem said:

Game is flat out amazing. My brother-in law and I were playing and we played for a good 5 hours before one of us won the game. We agreed to a monthly game. Once we play the crap out of this version we are picking up the 1940 Europe and Pacific 2nd editions which is a gigantic total world at war game. But we are a long ways from getting that one. It is huge. I may pick up the simplified 1941 game before that one. But wow! Easily the best board war game I have ever played. Took an hour to set it up and we made some mistakes early but picked up on all the nuances and rules in our first play through.
Love Axis and Allies. I've played probably 50+ games of it. My dad was a huge board game guy while he was in college and thus my brother and I became big board game guys, as we played all the time growing up.

AA classic was a fun one, but wildly in favor of the allies. We mainly prefer A&A revised. It's a blast and easily played with 3 people. Though sometimes we can find 2 other suckers to play with us. Games will last wayy too long, and we implement a lot of national advantages (except the America's super bombers, that one is wayyy too op).

New to this thread, but games that we usually rotate around and all get played pretty regularly, we play once a week or so and rotate the games. Usually there's 4 of us, My wife, dad, brother and I, and the occasional 5th person.

Settlers of Catan

Axis and Allies

Titan

Rail Baron

Empire Builder

World of Warcraft

I am seriously in love with Red Dragon Inn. It sounds like it's dorky... the typical Lord-of-the-Rings or Dungeons-and-Dragons style characters: orcs, elves, wizards, etc... but, instead of an adventure with them, actually, the game is after the adventure, when you're loaded with booty and hanging out at the pub afterward. Each player has a pile of gold, and a board that tracks their sobriety & fortitude.

The game is card-based, with a deck for each player of the actions they can perform, plus a common "drink deck" representing the bar. Each turn you can perform an action, then you buy a drink for someone. There's often rounds of gambling mixed in. Actions and drinks will raise or lower sobriety and/or fortitude, and gambling can cost or win you gold coins. Once your fortitude level crosses your sobriety level, you've passed out and are done for the night. Once you're out of gold, you're bounced from the bar. Last man standing wins.
sounds awesome

Most don't include magic or monsters or spacechips.

Take a look at the following:

Ticket to Ride

Dominion

7 Wonders (not on sale, though)

Five Tribes

Splendor

Settlers of Catan

In particular, you won't ever find Dominion any cheaper. These are solid strategy games that are good for family play.
Excellent, thanks.

We love Pandemic, Forbidden Island. They are pretty casual IMO and team based.

But casual games? Scatergory, Boulder Dash, Yatzeee always are hits.

More of a turn-based card game than board game but BANG! is a great, cheap game.

Guillotine.

Settlers of Cataan and Ticket to Ride (I'm sure has been mentioned but just in case.

Small world is a really good game. Puerto Rico. Dr. Lucky (if you can find it).

Played Days of Wonder's Small World...really solid game.

Lots of replayability in this one with so many different variations of special abilities with different races.

Very cool game.

Have you guy seen Board James, the board game version of the angry video game nerd? Episodes are really silly early on, and they put together some great nostalgic music like the old ads of the 80s and 90s.

The first episode is mouse trap. It's a web series, so eventually a story line comes in with other characters. The final episode posted last Friday.

Episode 1: https://youtu.be/AZCplp_AtRo

looking for some good board/card games that can be played with a casual crowd, just to drink & laugh. I like heavier games, but gotta stick with the lowest common denominator so everyone has a good time. plus, we drink...a lot.
Red Dragon Inn is pretty light and easy to pick up. There are a bunch of additional versions. If you want to play with more than 4 people you'll need to pick up an additional version(each version plays 4). I've played with 8 and we really enjoyed it.Chalice is another game that is easy to learn and fun with a group at a night of drinking.

Picked up a few of those Amazon deals. Finally got Five Tribes.
I landed a few great ones for Christmas with Target and Amazon deals - Small World, Ghost Stories, Betrayal at House on the Hill, 7 Wonders. Should be loads of fun.

looking at some obvious ones like Cards Against Humanity, Monopoly (lots of special editions - Star Wars, Walking Dead, etc.), Bang!, etc. might try some with a little more strategy, like King of Tokyo/New York, Pandemic, etc.

has anyone played Exploding Kittens? or what seems like the ultimate dumb party game, this one?
Tsuro. I've only played with four but it can handle up to 8. With 4 it only lasts 10-15 minutes - with 8 it will be a 10 minute game with pure chaos and laughter as one player leads another off, causes collisions (which both players lose) etc. Super duper easy to setup and play.

Some good suggestions - I'd recommend Pandemic. Not dorky and cooperative, so no screaming kids. And lots of fun - we got our butts handed to us last weekend.

I bought exploding kittens as a game that can be learned quickly, involves some strategy and can be a fun party game for everyone/all ages. Going to be a Christmas present, so haven't played it yet.

Picked up 3 over Christmas time:

Five tribes -- Fun game, only played a couple times but some things I like about it. Will admit that I haven't had a huge itch to play it again for some reason even though it was fun. Took a little bit to really start to get the hang of it.

7 Wonders Babel expansion -- Holy cow, what an excellent expansion. For any of you that have 7 Wonders, this is a MUST add. Has 2 parts to it and adds some intense complexity to the game.

Libertalia -- We've REALLY enjoyed playing this game. Very simple setup and game but more strategy than meets the eye with great replayability. My wife and son have played this the most since getting it. It's simultaneous play so it doesn't matter how many people play, is actually pretty solid as a 2 player game (something most 2-6 player games lack), and really easy to learn. This is going to be one of my go to recs for games for people that ask. For those of you that post here, this is one I'd look at picking up.

Can't say enough great things about the global edition. So much fun but takes forever. Hard to find others who are able/willing to put in that many hours.

Codenames is a fun game for a group.

Exploding Kittens is a fun simple game.

Diplomacy is something I've been hearing about for some time. Any fans?

Can't say enough great things about the global edition. So much fun but takes forever. Hard to find others who are able/willing to put in that many hours.

Codenames is a fun game for a group.

Exploding Kittens is a fun simple game.

Diplomacy is something I've been hearing about for some time. Any fans?
Diplomacy is the best board game ever created.

Recently joined a board game group. Some game I've learned and really enjoyed:

Nations

Istanbul

7 Wonders

Splendor

Didn't get to play Village, but that looked fun from watching it.

Looking forward to learning some more.

Some favorites from my younger days:

Settlers of Catan, but even moreso the Knights and Cities expansion.

Starfarers of Catan is probably my favorite, though some feel it's too heavy on luck.

Citadels

Castle of Magic

Starship Catan is a great 2 player game.

Played some Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert. Fun games.

The mechanic in Forbidden Desert for finding the items needed is pretty neat. Game "board" is unique every time.

Anyone ever try "Betrayal in the House on the Hill" (or something like that)? Caught a snippet and it seemed interesting.
Got this over the holidays.

Excellent game. First time you play may take 2 hours to learn..after that 1 hour typically. 3 players minimum. Very cool adventure game.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but we played Codenames at a party recently, and quickly followed up to play it again at lunch. Really fun game, it remains to be seen if the replay value stands up. Box says up to 8 players, but seems like the kind of game that could easily be house-ruled for larger groups.

Maelstrom said:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but we played Codenames at a party recently, and quickly followed up to play it again at lunch. Really fun game, it remains to be seen if the replay value stands up. Box says up to 8 players, but seems like the kind of game that could easily be house-ruled for larger groups.
Mentioned it on the previous page. Definitely a fun group game.

Users who are viewing this thread