What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

Anyone have 7 Wonders Duel?

Curious as to how it plays for a semi-gamer. My girlfriend likes to play games w/ me but doesn't like things that are overly complicated/long. I've read that it's a really great 2 player game though.
I have it, play it a lot. It’s about 30-45 minutes play time, not overly complex but it did take me a little time to pick up.

I’ve also played Kingdomino, it’s a fun game, very quick and easy. I personally like Duel better, but Kingdomino probably a safer choice if you’re looking more casual.

Anyone have 7 Wonders Duel?

Curious as to how it plays for a semi-gamer. My girlfriend likes to play games w/ me but doesn't like things that are overly complicated/long. I've read that it's a really great 2 player game though.
It's a fantastic game IMO.  I'm kind of shocked at how well balanced it is.

My wife probably falls into the semi-gamer category, enjoying games like Splendor, Azul, Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, and Catan.  I think she found it to be a bit complex at first, but after watching a setup/instructional video and walking her through the first game, she's on board to add this to our normal 2 player rotation. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my Kickstarter delivery for Unstable Unicorns.  Got the 2 bonus games as well - Chaos and Control.  Looks pretty amazing so far.

Wingspan is such an elegant game. Relatively simple gameplay, but with a fantastic amount of depth that will no doubt lead to countless replays.

Also was designed by a woman, something that should be encouraged in the space. 100% recommended purchase.

hagmania said:
Wingspan is such an elegant game. Relatively simple gameplay, but with a fantastic amount of depth that will no doubt lead to countless replays.

Also was designed by a woman, something that should be encouraged in the space. 100% recommended purchase.
A buddy of mine was hyping this.

Anyone play the Agricola app on iOS? It’s a perfect adaptation of the board game, which is my all time favorite. My username is OhNoUweDidnt if anyone cares to play.

For the Uwe Rosenberg fans, I’ve also read Le Havre is excellent and has an app to match.

Any suggestions for 2-player co-op games? (edit: I mostly see ones that are like 4+)

7 wonders is fun but doesn't scale well past 4 players imo.  Becomes more luck based at that point.  Maybe this is a common complaint?

7 wonders is fun but doesn't scale well past 4 players imo.  Becomes more luck based at that point.  Maybe this is a common complaint?
We love it because it goes to 7. It is a bit more variance-reliant, yes, but if you pay attention to card counts I find even those in a tough spot can scrap for points.

One of my favorite:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne

It is nice because you play until the pieces run out.  It is also an app on ipad.
A friend of mine just gave me an old copy of this cuz he got tired of its simplicity.  Me and my 7 year old played the hell out of it over spring break. Fun, short, easy game that actually requires a bit of strategery.  Good game.

Also looking for updates on Gloomhaven if anyone here has played it. Looks cool but a hell of an investment. Also heard it becomes repetitive after a bit.

hagmania said:
We love it because it goes to 7. It is a bit more variance-reliant, yes, but if you pay attention to card counts I find even those in a tough spot can scrap for points.
I certainly see the value in that it is a simultaneous move game for 7 people, which is rare in any genre.  

I just am not in love with the fact that I'm out of control of the hand for the entire round.  At that point it becomes confrontational with the people +1 +2 to you, more than anything.

Instinctive said:
Any suggestions for 2-player co-op games? (edit: I mostly see ones that are like 4+)
In pure co-ops (i.e., no traitor mechanic or secret victory condition or something) I don't think it makes much of a difference.  I've solo'd Pandemic way more than I've ever played it with others.  And I've played it with two people.  You just take multiple roles.  It's still the same game.  We have a set number and type of actions to solve the scenario the game gives us.  Same would apply to any of those Leacock games (Forbidden Whatever).

DISCLAIMER:  Fatguy and Fred can confirm that I'm terrible at any board game more difficult than Sorry.

Also looking for updates on Gloomhaven if anyone here has played it. Looks cool but a hell of an investment. Also heard it becomes repetitive after a bit.
This is one of the least repetitive games I have ever played.  My group has played about 15 scenarios, and we can't get enough of it.  New content is unlocked all the time.  And that is what makes it such a heavy commitment.  We can only manage 1-2 game nights a month, so it could be a couple years before we exhaust all the content.

There are 18 characters in total, and at the outset, you can only access 6 of them.  We finally unlocked the 7th in our last session. 

Maybe the biggest complaint about this game is the massive setup/breakdown time.  We have found a couple of free apps that help immensely with this.

This is one of the least repetitive games I have ever played.  My group has played about 15 scenarios, and we can't get enough of it.  New content is unlocked all the time.  And that is what makes it such a heavy commitment.  We can only manage 1-2 game nights a month, so it could be a couple years before we exhaust all the content.

There are 18 characters in total, and at the outset, you can only access 6 of them.  We finally unlocked the 7th in our last session. 

Maybe the biggest complaint about this game is the massive setup/breakdown time.  We have found a couple of free apps that help immensely with this.
i can't even setup catan without an app, so gonna hard pass on this, sheesh.

Played this game about a month ago.

Freaking loved it.  Pretty deep and complex.  Hard to find a strategy with only one game under my belt, but could get lost in it for hours.
Heard it’s great. How easy was it to play and how long was the game? I don’t mind strategizing for a couple hours at a sitting, but most people seem to have shorter attention spans/free time. Powergrid and Agricola have been the most complex games we’ve played.

My family has been getting more and more into board games over the past year.  We started with Ticket to Ride, then Ticket to Ride Europe, then Azul, and most recently Splendor.  We enjoy all of them quite a bit.  Next game we're looking at purchasing is probably Catan unless anyone has other suggestions.

I love the fact that we now regularly get our heads out of our mobile devices for a few hours and actually sit down, play some games together, and all thoroughly enjoy it.

that looks like a cool game i might have to try it out.. but im looking for something where you are constructing something physically 3-d
Junk Art is a pretty fun game where you build abstract structures. There are about 10 different ways the game plays out - some are a legit race to finish first with other varieties having different rules for how you build the structure. 

My daughter asked for Ticket to Ride for Christmas since she had played it with friends at college and liked it.  We've played it at least once each of the past 4 nights with either 3 or 4 players.  Love the game!  Easy to learn and every game plays out differently.  We'll probably buy ourselves a copy, perhaps one of the other versions (Europe?), when our daughter takes hers back to school after break.

Per a previous recommendation here, we bought Codenames for our son for Christmas.  We've played it a few times with 4 people and like it, although I think we all prefer Ticket to Ride a little more.  That said, we're taking Codenames to a family Christmas party today where we'll probably play it 4v4, which I suspect will be a lot more fun than just 2v2.
My family (me, wife, twin 9yo boys) loves Ticket To Ride.  Educational, strategic, simple and fun.  

Looking for a family game for our family of four. (8yo daughter, 12yo son). Problem solving, convincing and discussion encouraged.

Tia
Has anyone played Spyfall? They have free apps so no need to buy a physical version of overpriced cards.

I played Ticket to Ride Europe. It was more complicated than it needed to be with the tunnels and stuff. Trying to find unfamiliar cities while looking at the board upside-down was tough.

Isle of Skye > carc.  Imo. 

Azul is a big hit here.  Great tip I got here. 

Pandemic is love hate.  Not everyone likes the format.  
More competitive folks might not like the co-operative format of Pandemic. It's the first family friendly game I thought of when I saw "Problem solving, convincing and discussion encouraged", though.

Azul is the game I most enjoy out of the ones I listed.  

Users who are viewing this thread