What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

I can still get a stiffy for a good game of Shogun (Samarai Swords).

Blitzkrieg is my favorite Avalon Hill game, but I don't think you can even buy it anymore.

I'm intrigued by a lot of these new games. Are any of them any good for two players? Especially a military strategy type?
Most of the games mentioned made by GMT and Avalon Hill are 2 player military strategy games. All of the ones I listed are.

Shogun ?? From the mid eighties.

I actually loved The Original TRUMP board game from like 1989

Shogun ?? From the mid eighties.
Shogun was one of the big box games from Milton Bradley. Axis and Allies was another. Another that I haven't seen mentioned yet was Fortress America. Pretty cool game, America gets attacked from three sides by the Chinese, the Latin Americans and the Russians.

RISK (play at Conquer Club)

Third Reich

PanzerBlitz

Squad Leader

I have all of the above still

Conquistador It has been at least 25 years since I played this or seen a copy of it, but really liked this one.
If it's the Squad Leader I'm thinking of, probably the most complicated board game ever.
Followed by the second most complex game ever, Third Reich.
That would be Advanced Squad Leader as the most complicated.Squad Leader is its easy predecessor.

I concur with War of the Ring, though prefer it with the Twilight of the Third Age expansion additions due to the unbalance of the SP in the basic game. (DEW North strategy can win it in 6-7 turns, which is too quick for the FP to even sprint)

There is an online board which can be used to play it found under downloads at: http://www.warofthering.webb.se/

(have to own the game due to the card text)

Another great game is Gangsters from Avalon Hill. Perfect for 4 and timed turns so no analysis paralysis can happen. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1471

For newer games, Amun-Re, Hansa and Twilight Struggle are pretty good too.

RISK (play at Conquer Club)

Third Reich

PanzerBlitz

Squad Leader

I have all of the above still

Conquistador It has been at least 25 years since I played this or seen a copy of it, but really liked this one.
If it's the Squad Leader I'm thinking of, probably the most complicated board game ever.
Followed by the second most complex game ever, Third Reich.
That would be Advanced Squad Leader as the most complicated.Squad Leader is its easy predecessor.
Third Reich is top 3 for complexity.

backgammon

the right mix of skill and luck

i will play any fbgs at gamesgrid.com -- elchet

Chess is a game. It is played on a board. Yet...I do not think of it as a boardgame. Why? Well, it might be because I am a tard.

I like A&A but I am afraid that I am rusty.

I do not believe the Axis can win even 20% of the time without modifications (and I don't mean the recommended ones either).

Girl A said:
Risk...nough said.
#1 Why did this take 42 posts before it even got so much as a mention? Terrible!!
Because it's the wrong answer?
You are obviously in denial.
Chess is a good answer. Go also works there. Risk is a game for children. There are far better games for adults.

Scrabble is ok.

I do not believe the Axis can win even 20% of the time without modifications (and I don't mean the recommended ones either).
I agree, but I'd still rather play the Axis. More challenging and the victories are sweeter. Plus, logistics is my forte, and while the strategy becomes stale and predictable after awhile, it's the guy who can find ways to use as many of his pieces as possible each turn that has the advantage.

Girl A said:
Risk...nough said.
#1 Why did this take 42 posts before it even got so much as a mention? Terrible!!
Because it's the wrong answer?
You are obviously in denial.
Chess is a good answer. Go also works there. Risk is a game for children. There are far better games for adults.

Scrabble is ok.
Risk is a fun game BECAUSE of its simplicity. When I play long board games now...I like to talk, have a couple drinks, eat, play, listen to some tunes, etc. Risk allows you to play and do those other things. A bunch of the other games (while probably "superior" games) don't allow you to do that. You have to be dialed in. Not my style of gaming.

I agree, but I'd still rather play the Axis. More challenging and the victories are sweeter. Plus, logistics is my forte, and while the strategy becomes stale and predictable after awhile, it's the guy who can find ways to use as many of his pieces as possible each turn that has the advantage.
:lol: Oh yeah baby! When we play, whoever gets the short straw has to be the Allies.

I'm intrigued by a lot of these new games. Are any of them any good for two players? Especially a military strategy type?
Most of the games mentioned made by GMT and Avalon Hill are 2 player military strategy games. All of the ones I listed are.
Somebody give me a short list of the best GMT or Avalon 2 player military strategy games, please. Preferably something where would would not need to spend more than an hour reading the instructions/ setting it up and could complete the game in another 2-3 hours.I've got an old buddy that's really into this sort of thing and I need an excuse to spend an evening

Somebody give me a short list of the best GMT or Avalon 2 player military strategy games, please. Preferably something where would would not need to spend more than an hour reading the instructions/ setting it up and could complete the game in another 2-3 hours.I've got an old buddy that's really into this sort of thing and I need an excuse to spend an evening
I don't do wargames other than ASL, but 1960: Making of a President is close to what you want.

Played A&A:Europe recently as in intro to this series. Had the pleasure of watching the Nazis (the only experienced player) blitzkrieg my ### out of the Ukraine in record time. I wasn't able to hold off the horde long enough for my US/English partner to bring the industrial might of the Yankees capitalists to bear. My poor babushkas barely had time to set down their vodka bottles and get in line before they were ground up by Tiger tanks. All of Russia is now drinking lager and wearing liederhosen.

For the Avalon Hill games, your restrictions are going to eliminate all but a very, very few. AH specializes in historically realistic military strategy games, often involving hundreds of individual units arrayed on giant hex-grid maps. About the simplest I can think of is War At Sea, which can probably be completed in a couple of hours of steady game play. When I was a kid my dad and I would literally spend months on a single game of the more complicated variety (Fortress Europa, Guns of August, Russian Campaign). Check out the AH website though, they'll have ratings for complexity and play time for all their games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go is a far superior game to Chess. But both of them are way out of my wheelhouse. Learning to play well is non-intuitive and requires study. I don't like my games to have homework.

For the Avalon Hill games, your restrictions are going to eliminate all but a very, very few. AH specializes in historically realistic military strategy games, often involving hundreds of individual units arrayed on giant hex-grid maps. About the simplest I can think of is War At Sea, which can probably be completed in a couple of hours of steady game play. When I was a kid my dad and I would literally spend months on a single game of the more complicated variety (Fortress Europa, Guns of August, Russian Campaign). Check out the AH website though, they'll have ratings for complexity and play time for all they're games.
:goodposting:

For the Avalon Hill games, your restrictions are going to eliminate all but a very, very few. AH specializes in historically realistic military strategy games, often involving hundreds of individual units arrayed on giant hex-grid maps. About the simplest I can think of is War At Sea, which can probably be completed in a couple of hours of steady game play. When I was a kid my dad and I would literally spend months on a single game of the more complicated variety (Fortress Europa, Guns of August, Russian Campaign). Check out the AH website though, they'll have ratings for complexity and play time for all their games.
Oops, looks like the real Avalon Hill was disbanded a decade ago - Link. Now it's a subdivision of Wizards of the Coast and all they make is Axis and Allies and such (much less complicated games). Sonova! You can still buy the old games from certain retailers, but there won't be any handy online descriptions and lists.

Check out the following companies:Columbia Games - www.columbiagames.com - specifically their block games. Once you get the hang of one, you'll be passably familiar with all of them. I like Hammer of the Scots, Napoleon, & Liberty myself. I also like Wizard Kings, but that's fantasy warfare, not everyone's cup of tea.GMT - they also have block games, like Command & Colors Ancients. They also have a lot of CDW'S - card-driven wargames. Check out Twilight Struggle - some of the others run 3-4 hours. www.gmtgames.comMMP - www.multimanpublishing.com - Shifting Sands is pretty nice. They are the new home of ASL, and some of the old Avalon Hill games.Anyone in the Greater Philly area looking for board game play, check out the Eastern PA Gaming Society at www.epgs.orgIf you've got specific questions, feel free to PM me here or at BGG. Same handle at both spots.

My faves at this moment - in no order:

1. Advanced Civilization (Avalon Hill)

2. Junta

3. Traders of Genoa

4. Galaxy (or Titan the Arena, but I prefer this)

5. Blood Bowl

6. Strat-O-Matic

It's hard to cut it down to a list this small when you 1000+ titles.

Oops, looks like the real Avalon Hill was disbanded a decade ago - Link. Now it's a subdivision of Wizards of the Coast and all they make is Axis and Allies and such (much less complicated games). Sonova! You can still buy the old games from certain retailers, but there won't be any handy online descriptions and lists.
Boardgame geek will have descriptions & lists.

Actually played this over the holidays after a hiatus of more than 20 years.We call it Stupid Cards.:mellow:Wait...I was thinking of "Talisman". Same thing, though. Stupid. Cards.
BLASPHEMYi was all exited to come in here and post Talisman, and then you ripped it!
cripes that's boxed up in my basement with like 3 of the expansion boards.I'm not a d&d type guy but I loved Talisman

Actually played this over the holidays after a hiatus of more than 20 years.We call it Stupid Cards.:mellow:Wait...I was thinking of "Talisman". Same thing, though. Stupid. Cards.
BLASPHEMYi was all exited to come in here and post Talisman, and then you ripped it!
Hey now, I didn't say it wasn't fun to play. It is, or can be. But it's not really a game of skill. Roll the dice, draw a card. Repeat until you're strong enough to climb the hill and defeat your opponents. Notice that six hours have passed. Sigh. Put game back in box.

Actually played this over the holidays after a hiatus of more than 20 years.We call it Stupid Cards.

:loco:

Wait...I was thinking of "Talisman". Same thing, though. Stupid. Cards.
Hey now, I didn't say it wasn't fun to play. It is, or can be. But it's not really a game of skill. Roll the dice, draw a card. Repeat until you're strong enough to climb the hill and defeat your opponents. Notice that six hours have passed. Sigh. Put game back in box.
throw in an intoxicating substance or two and BINGO!!if you want more skill I suggest

Wabbit Wampage, and the equally enjoyable sequel, Wabbit's Wevenge. silly games that were quite fun to play.

And finally, for some just plain silly fun

Gamarauders

if you want a lot more strategy the old Armour, Panzer, and 88 games were awesome WW2 armored combat games

Bought Arkadia yesterday at Barnes and Noble. They have just put out their 1/2 off after the holidays sale. $17 for such a good game (after a 10% off coupon) is very good for this one.

Risk

Monopoly

Trivial Pursuit

Sorry

Parcheesi
whereTF is scrabble on this list?
not even top-10 I like hockey
fixed
games that are also better than scrabble:Chutes & Ladders

Candyland

Battleship

Life

Mouse Trap
Its like you have known me, my whole life!!! We need to hang out sometimes and get to some serious Battleship and Mouse Trap

Risk...nough said.
LOTR Risk > Risk
War Of The Ring >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> well, everything else.
Is this game available? Amazon says 'out of stock'. Does the sequel include the original?
What sequel? There's an expansion called "Battles Of The Third Age"... if that's what you mean, then it's just an add-on, you need the original to play it.As for availability, it's not even available from the Fantasy Flight (the publishers) web store. So it may be temporarily out of print. But it's worth keeping an eye on. They'll do another print run soon (it's too popular not to) and it's well worth trying. Absolutely incredible what they were able to do, to capture every element from the movies, from the character-specific journey of the Fellowship all the way to the mass tactical movement of all the armies, all in one good-looking game. And you can play it in just a couple of hours. Amazing game.

For me I designed several board games of my own when I was a kid, so, I prefer my inventions to anything else people got! :shrug: One of them was a pretty cool sports General Manager simulator. I was addicted to my own game for years.
Why do you make it so easy, you little freak?

Users who are viewing this thread