What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Board Games (1 Viewer)

Smoo is spot on with his recommendations of Dust and Dominion. :popcorn:
Also, while I do love Dominion, I've chosen to embrace Thunderstone as my game of choice in this genre. Purely for thematic reasons. I've always been a big D&D nerd at heart, so Thunderstone grabs my attention in a way Dominion never could.But Dominion is still the game I'd always recommend to new gamers.
My gaming friends and I have been playing Dominion (and its four expansions) virtually every weekend for the past year. It hits all the right niches for us: simple to learn; expandable beyond four players; wife-friendly; quick -- 30 minutes or less per game; almost infinitely replayable without repeating the exact same game.Will give Thunderstone a secnd look, though I'm holding out for another upcoming game from Alderac -- Nightfall!

We still fall back on Settlers/Seafarers of Catan once a month or so, using a few house rules that make it a bit more exciting. And we've been playing 7 Wonders regularly since it arrived last month.

On those weekends when the wives opt out of a gaming session, we go with Fury of Dracula, Arkham Horror, Cosmic Encounters or Battlestar Galactica.

Played a FANTASTIC game with my family called "Ticket to Ride." We enjoyed it more than Settlers. Link
This is another wife-friendly game, so we played the snot out of four of the iterations (USA, Europe, Marklin, Scandia) before falling hard for Dominion about a year ago.

Chess (where does Chess rank with you guys? It ranks #1 for me)

In no particular order:

mainstream picks:

1) Risk

2) Monopoly

3) Clue

Some non mainstream picks that I like, in no particular order:

1) Masterpiece

2) 221B Baker Street

3) Sequence (very wife/girlfriend friendly, very fun game)

Reviving my favourite thread. For those asking where I've been, this is the answer. Board gaming is my passion now. Fantasy football isn't even on my radar any more.

Got a bunch of new stuff recently that I'm enjoying:

Discovered Sierra Madre games (specifically the stuff by Phil Eklund) and am absolutely entranced. Now own High Frontier and Origins: How We Became Human and I have Bios: Megafauna on pre-order. These games are works of art.

Still keeping on top of FFG releases. Rune Age is the new king of the deck building genre for me. Jumped all over the expansions for Chaos in the Old World and Battlestar Galactica. This company very rarely disappoints.

Got a close eye on both Chad Jensen and Carl Chudyk as designers, specifically for the recent releases Dominant Species and Innovation (respectively). DS has put the upcoming Urban Sprawl on my radar, and Innovation made me go seek out Glory To Rome, which is also a great strategic card game.

And my new all-time favorite game designer is now Vlaada Chvatil. This guy blows me away over and over again with his fresh designs which are always heavily euro-inspired but with enough thematic chrome to make them a sheer joy to play. Not all of his games are winners, but this list is gold: Through The Ages, Dungeon Lords, Prophecy, Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert... and I'm probably leaving a few out. Just great designs.

Got a few things on my radar that are coming out in the next little while:

Blood Bowl - Team Manager

Mage Knight (by Vlaada!)

Dungeon Petz (by Vlaada!)

Rex: Final Days of an Empire

Rex is actually a re-release of Dune, the classic Avalon Hill game. FFG was able to secure the rights to the game mechanics, but not the theme license. So they just decided to re-theme it in their Twilight Imperium universe. I have no problem with that. I always disliked the Dune theme, but the mechanics of that game were fantastic. So win/win.

Anybody out there still board gaming?

Anybody out there still board gaming?
You bet. I tend to play more military sim 2 player games, like For the People (Civil War), Paths of Glory (WWI) and Barbarossa to Berlin (WWII).

But, I sometimes play more social games with groups. I like Ticket to Ride and Dominion. There's a new Dracula game out based on an old Avalon Hill game: Fury of Dracula. It's actually fun and wife/girlfriend friendly.

Another 2 player game that isn't really a military game but is a lot of fun and informative is Twilight Struggle. It's about the Cold War, you play the US or the Soviets and try to spread your ideology around the world.

For more complex multi player games, I like Age of Renaissance a lot, but you really need 5-6 players to make it work.

I can't say enough about Here I Stand. It's just a fascinating game based on the reformation and other things that were going on at the same time. Like Henry the 8th trying to get an heir. Or discoveries in the New World. Or Suleiman trying to take Vienna. Papal debaters can be disgraced for points, Protestant debaters get burned at the stake instead. Works well with 3 or 6.

Well, the "new" Fury of Dracula isn't exactly new. It's been out for quite a few years already. It's still my favourite of the hidden movement/deduction game genre, but a newcomer is making quite a splash: Letters From Whitechapel. It's gotten some great reviews. I've looked into it but haven't tried it yet.

I own For The People and have played Paths of Glory. The card-driven wargames are quite fun (I also own Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage and Washington's War (which is a re-release of "We The People"). If I'm going to play a 2-player wargame, it's generally going to be one of these card-driven types rather than something like ASL.

Twilight Struggle made it to #1 on BGG earlier this year. Quite an amazing feat, but certainly well-deserved. I taught it to Tough as Nails this summer, he really liked it (or at least claimed to).

Well, the "new" Fury of Dracula isn't exactly new. It's been out for quite a few years already. It's still my favourite of the hidden movement/deduction game genre, but a newcomer is making quite a splash: Letters From Whitechapel. It's gotten some great reviews. I've looked into it but haven't tried it yet.

I own For The People and have played Paths of Glory. The card-driven wargames are quite fun (I also own Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage and Washington's War (which is a re-release of "We The People"). If I'm going to play a 2-player wargame, it's generally going to be one of these card-driven types rather than something like ASL.

Twilight Struggle made it to #1 on BGG earlier this year. Quite an amazing feat, but certainly well-deserved. I taught it to Tough as Nails this summer, he really liked it (or at least claimed to).
I have friends that love Hannibal, but I despise the game for some reason. Ever play anything on ACTS? It's a way to play online.

Didn't read the thread, but I guess you guys probably covered the Gamemaster series (Axis & Allies, et al) sometime back. I also really liked Scotland Yard, if anyone remembers that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been playing a few games of Galaxy Trucker. Awesome game. Lots of fun building ships and then watching them get blown up.

'Matthias said:
For more complex multi player games, I like Age of Renaissance a lot, but you really need 5-6 players to make it work.
This is my favorite game of all time. I would buy a copy but a buddy keeps saying how he'll dig his up from his parents' house in Michigan.Just went on a mini geek buying spree this week, though. Bought Through the Ages, A Game of Thrones, and Roborally. Looked for a Game of Thrones a year or two ago, only to find out that it was out of print and only available on eBay. But it's now out in a second edition. Played Roborally back in college and it's good fun in a light game.

Any recommendations? I like Puerto Rico, don't care much for Caylus, love Ra and AoR, like negotiation or auction games, and generally don't like games with lots of little bits or at least I prefer ones that have less #### to keep track of.
For auction/negotiation games nothing beats Advanced Civilization, but it's an old game and few people have it/play it anymore. Here I Stand is a good multiplayer, 4-6 players. Brittania is great but requires exactly 4 players. Fury of Dracula is fun and Wives/Girlfriends will play it.

My 12 year old recently discovered Stratego and he is uncanny at the game....he hasn't taken me down yet, but has left family game night strewn with the bodies of my wife and his siblings. It won't be long and he will be destroying me. He is such a little nerd.

Risk, Monopoly, Scrabble, Stratego, Trivial Pursuit, Cribbage...hell, I like any board game.

But, have you played Clue: The Great Museum Caper? I loved that game. You couldn't nab me if I was the thief. Great game for those that couldn't possibly like Dane Cook.
Might want to check out Scotland Yard or Mr. Jack if you liked that Clue game.
Good posting
Letters from Whitechapel is the wilked of detective games.

For those of you who said RISK, check out Conquer Club

Has the original Classic Map and at least 50 other maps to play. Really fun I have been playing since April of last year

And if you do go the premium route (allows you to play more than 4 games at a time and it is only 20 bucks) use the user name "amoxy" for referral. I get free stuff
also try Risk: Legacy. It's getting great reviews; just make sure you have committed friends.

Just started playing Diplomacy on the droid app "Droidippy." Loving it.
I have the app but im fairly new to dip. Would like to get in a newbie game somewhere. Does the app support that?
Alas, no. It does support "invitational" games, so I could set up a game which you could then join and I could help you out.
Cool. Want to get a fbg game together?
That would be a lot of fun, but the app only works for Droids. I don't know how many FBG Dip-playing Droid users we have here.

I have the app but im fairly new to dip. Would like to get in a newbie game somewhere. Does the app support that?
Alas, no. It does support "invitational" games, so I could set up a game which you could then join and I could help you out.
That would be a lot of fun, but the app only works for Droids. I don't know how many FBG Dip-playing Droid users we have here.
THere isn't an Ipad/Ipod app. :sadbanana:

I'd like to join in this. Never played diplomacy but I love turn-based strategy games. I just downloaded the app and will check it out tonight.

I finally got Settlers of Catan and I just wanted to say it was a bit complicated at first to "get" the game but after an hour or so of plugging along me and my friends really enjoyed this game. Only played it a few times and every time I play it I learn more and more and how to adjust my strategy. Absolutely an awesome game and easily one of the best I ever played.

I finally got Settlers of Catan and I just wanted to say it was a bit complicated at first to "get" the game but after an hour or so of plugging along me and my friends really enjoyed this game. Only played it a few times and every time I play it I learn more and more and how to adjust my strategy. Absolutely an awesome game and easily one of the best I ever played.
It's a cool game, and family/friend friendly, but... There's a lot of luck involved, which annoys me.

Highly recommend Seven Wonders.

2-7 players, fast, and very enjoyable. Good ranking too. Oh, and cheap too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump. Wife's really getting into playing board games w/ me which is awesome.

We're thinking of trying to find a group here in Denver to play with....

Non-drunk category

Diplomacy

Drunk category

1. Apples to Apples

2. Diplomacy

I like Settlers, but it seems like the game is just getting started at 10 points. Should probably try Seafarers expansion. Though really, if I have 4 people I generally prefer to play Spades or Bridge.

Looks like out next purchases will be:

- smallworld

- Twilight Struggle

- Agricola

GB having a wife into games and sports and such. :thumbup:

Smoo is spot on with his recommendations of Dust and Dominion. :popcorn:
Also, while I do love Dominion, I've chosen to embrace Thunderstone as my game of choice in this genre. Purely for thematic reasons. I've always been a big D&D nerd at heart, so Thunderstone grabs my attention in a way Dominion never could.But Dominion is still the game I'd always recommend to new gamers.
My gaming friends and I have been playing Dominion (and its four expansions) virtually every weekend for the past year. It hits all the right niches for us: simple to learn; expandable beyond four players; wife-friendly; quick -- 30 minutes or less per game; almost infinitely replayable without repeating the exact same game.Will give Thunderstone a secnd look, though I'm holding out for another upcoming game from Alderac -- Nightfall!

We still fall back on Settlers/Seafarers of Catan once a month or so, using a few house rules that make it a bit more exciting. And we've been playing 7 Wonders regularly since it arrived last month.

On those weekends when the wives opt out of a gaming session, we go with Fury of Dracula, Arkham Horror, Cosmic Encounters or Battlestar Galactica.
I got Dominion this past Christmas for my kids. We opened it up and I tried to look at the rulebook, which was like 35 pages long, and pretty friggen complicated. I was flabbergasted, put the game away, and never picked it up again. Should I give it another go? Can somebody give me a cliff-notes of the rules?Should I dust it off.

Users who are viewing this thread