What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2008 Every Down Linebackers (1 Viewer)

Ruud is wearing the communicator per St Petersburg Times

LISTEN UP: Middle linebacker Barrett Ruud is beginning to use the new helmet communication system when practices simulate game action. So far, so good, he said.

"I never liked the wrist bands that much," Ruud said of armbands that decipher signals from the sideline. "The first time I put it on, it was a little fuzzy. But now they've got it wired in there pretty good. The whole key is going to be the fact they stop it at 17 seconds (on the play clock). A lot of times, we're holding our calls waiting for the offense anyway. So we probably won't even be able to use it half the time."

Is that Jason Taylor that is still listed for Miami? If so, who will be taking his place as the every down LB? Thanks

Is that Jason Taylor that is still listed for Miami? If so, who will be taking his place as the every down LB? Thanks
Oops. Thanks for catching that.Hard to say if there'll be a definite every-down replacement. Quentin Moses doesn't look like an every-down guy, but has a shot to have a situational role with guys like Reggie Torbor, Charlie Anderson and Rob Ninkovich. And Parcells wasn't using Akin Ayodele every down during his last season in Dallas, so he's no lock either.

Oops. Thanks for catching that.Hard to say if there'll be a definite every-down replacement. Quentin Moses doesn't look like an every-down guy, but has a shot to have a situational role with guys like Reggie Torbor, Charlie Anderson and Rob Ninkovich. And Parcells wasn't using Akin Ayodele every down during his last season in Dallas, so he's no lock either.
Channing Crowder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Channing Crowder?
:thumbup:

Channing Crowder?
:yes:
He's on the list. No question he's an every-down player. I thought we were discussing players with a shot at playing OLB every down.

Mid-camp update:

A few things remain up in the air here.

It'll be interesting to see how the Bengals align with Johnson and Rivers both starting outside. It may be Johnson until Rivers is ready or some rotation based on matchup.

I put Webster next to DJ Williams tentatively with Bailey out, but it could end up being Winborn or Koutouvides. Niko's getting the start at MLB this weekend, so it's become tough to handicap in Denver -- shockingly enough.

Same with KC. It'll probably be either Demorrio or Edwards in the nickel; I've got Williams there for now, but Edwards may get back in the lineup when healthy.

No idea what to think in Miami. Crowder is a lock. Porter probably is still an every-down player, but it may be more than the injury that's keeping him out with Matt Roth and a few others playing well at OLB. That may be all camp talk, however, as Roth and Holliday don't seem like great fits there.

Zach Thomas is off the list with the news that Anthony Henry was taking LB snaps in the nickel and speculation that James will be a nickel backer while Burnett recovers (again).

Still leaving Lofton and Dizon off the list.

Big news here:

David Thornton-LB- Titans Aug. 23 - 12:54 am et

Titans SLB David Thornton will wear the headset to relay in defensive play calls from the sideline this season.

It won't be WLB Keith Bulluck, despite speculation to the contrary. With Bulluck in decline, Thornton is now Tennessee's quickest linebacker to the ball. He led the club with 122 tackles last season. Bulluck had only 88.

Source: Indianapolis Star

Related: Keith Bulluck

Big news here: David Thornton-LB- Titans Aug. 23 - 12:54 am et Titans SLB David Thornton will wear the headset to relay in defensive play calls from the sideline this season.It won't be WLB Keith Bulluck, despite speculation to the contrary. With Bulluck in decline, Thornton is now Tennessee's quickest linebacker to the ball. He led the club with 122 tackles last season. Bulluck had only 88.Source: Indianapolis StarRelated: Keith Bulluck
Not sure how big of news it really is, both Thornton and Bullock are 3 down LB's.

Big news here: David Thornton-LB- Titans Aug. 23 - 12:54 am et Titans SLB David Thornton will wear the headset to relay in defensive play calls from the sideline this season.It won't be WLB Keith Bulluck, despite speculation to the contrary. With Bulluck in decline, Thornton is now Tennessee's quickest linebacker to the ball. He led the club with 122 tackles last season. Bulluck had only 88.Source: Indianapolis StarRelated: Keith Bulluck
Not sure how big of news it really is, both Thornton and Bullock are 3 down LB's.
Bulluck has been the leader of that D for years. There is in no way good news for Bulluck.

Bulluck has been the leader of that D for years. There is in no way good news for Bulluck.
It doesn't change a thing for Bullock.

Keith Bulluck and Colin Allred had the headset against the Raiders, not sure if they changed who was going to wear it, but he was definitely wearing it that game.

It doesn't change a thing for Bullock.
:lmao:

well i was watching the dallas game yesterday and i saw zach in on all 3 downs.. I thought he was only going to be used as a 2 down backer is he back as a 3 down lb....

well i was watching the dallas game yesterday and i saw zach in on all 3 downs.. I thought he was only going to be used as a 2 down backer is he back as a 3 down lb....
John Norton (and the local Cowboys media) both reported that it was Bobby Carpenter who played in the dime package during the first half. The Cowboys only rarely used a true 4-2-5 nickel package last year and that was supposed to be the case according to most reports this summer. I'll try to follow up on it later. Thanks for the note.

Washington: Fletcher*, McIntosh, Washington
With the DE situation improved this season over last, Marcus Washington will not be used as a pass-rushing DE in nickel packages.
Washington's diverse skill set, passion for contact and sure tackling are his greatest assets, with his role changing slightly over the years. He was used in more downfield coverage earlier in his career here -- especially within the cover-2 scheme -- and with the team lacking a sustained pass rush thrust in recent years, Washington often has taken practice reps with the defensive line and played as an end in the nickel package.

Now, he works only with the linebackers.

"Last year we had a need, but right now he's more of a luxury for us as a pass rusher," Blache said. "We'd like to bring him on some blitzes from his linebacker spot from time to time, but this allows him to focus on linebacker more, and not have to be as divided in his learning time and in his practice time."
This should mean that Washington and Fletcher will be the 3-down LBs. I thought I had seen a quote at one point that alluded to McIntosh not being in the nickel, but I'd have to track that down. Maybe another 'Skins homer can confirm (or deny) this, but I think McIntosh should be removed from the every down LB list.

With the DE situation improved this season over last, Marcus Washington will not be used as a pass-rushing DE in nickel packages.
Washington's diverse skill set, passion for contact and sure tackling are his greatest assets, with his role changing slightly over the years. He was used in more downfield coverage earlier in his career here -- especially within the cover-2 scheme -- and with the team lacking a sustained pass rush thrust in recent years, Washington often has taken practice reps with the defensive line and played as an end in the nickel package.

"Last year we had a need, but right now he's more of a luxury for us as a pass rusher," Blache said. "We'd like to bring him on some blitzes from his linebacker spot from time to time, but this allows him to focus on linebacker more, and not have to be as divided in his learning time and in his practice time."
This should mean that Washington and Fletcher will be the 3-down LBs. I thought I had seen a quote at one point that alluded to McIntosh not being in the nickel, but I'd have to track that down. Maybe another 'Skins homer can confirm (or deny) this, but I think McIntosh should be removed from the every down LB list.
Correct. McIntosh is not a 3-down LB; Fletcher and Washington are. The only qualification I'd make to that is that Washington has had some nagging injuries, including a hip flexor that reemerged this preseason, and so I wonder whether they might rotate McIntosh and him on 3rd downs to take some of the burden off of him. That's feasible because McIntosh isn't bad in coverage, and because they're no longer "required" to rush Washington on 3rd downs per the article you posted. This is just my speculation, however, as I've heard no coach say this. Something to watch for.

Correct. McIntosh is not a 3-down LB; Fletcher and Washington are. The only qualification I'd make to that is that Washington has had some nagging injuries, including a hip flexor that reemerged this preseason, and so I wonder whether they might rotate McIntosh and him on 3rd downs to take some of the burden off of him. That's feasible because McIntosh isn't bad in coverage, and because they're no longer "required" to rush Washington on 3rd downs per the article you posted. This is just my speculation, however, as I've heard no coach say this. Something to watch for.
Thanks for the information guys. I'll take both of them off the list temporarily.

FBG depth charts (and others) show Edwards not Williams starting for KC, but Williams is listed as a 3 down LB. Can anyone clarify? I suspect Edwards is starting but for 3 downs? Thanks.

FBG depth charts (and others) show Edwards not Williams starting for KC, but Williams is listed as a 3 down LB. Can anyone clarify? I suspect Edwards is starting but for 3 downs? Thanks.
This situation is a mess.Edwards did start this week, but Williams was out with a finger injury. Herm Edwards called Donnie Edwards rusty and not used to the speed of the game and suggested that Williams would be ready for Week 1. Williams, while Edwards was healthy this offseason, rarely played with the first team. Late in camp, he was being used as a nickel pass rusher.And Thomas has been one the most consistent backers during camp according to Gunther Cunningham, though I'm fairly certain that he was off the field on passing downs in the first two preseason games. But it was Edwards coming off the field in practice after he joined the first team with Williams out with injury. As far as I can tell, the first team Chief defense saw very few snaps and no nickel situations last week.So...you're guess is as good as mine. I suppose I'd put a very small bet on Demorrio Williams for now, but all three are strongly in the mix.

Still awaiting confirmation on a couple of teams and the helmet comm issue will be a fluid one. For the sake of argument, let's assume an every down linebacker will average at least 50-55 snaps a game.

Players in blue are wearing the communicator

Baltimore: Lewis, Scott, Suggs

Buffalo: Crowell, Posluszny

Cincinnati: Rivers, Jones

Cleveland: Jackson, Wimbley (Davis, Williams run pass platoon)

Denver: Williams, Webster

Houston: Ryans, Greenwood

Indianapolis: Brackett, Keiaho

Jacksonville: Peterson, Smith

Kansas City: Johnson, Williams (Thomas has had the helmet comm also)

Miami: Crowder, Porter

New England: Vrabel, Thomas, Mayo (not likely to use a helmet comm according to Belichick)

New York Jets: Harris, Pace (possibly Rhodes)

Oakland: Morrison, Howard

Pittsburgh: Farrior, Harrison, Woodley

San Diego: Wilhelm, Merriman, Phillips

Tennessee: Bulluck, Thornton

Arizona: Dansby, Hayes, Okeafor, LaBoy

Atlanta: Brooking, Boley

Carolina: Davis, Beason

Chicago: Urlacher, Briggs

Dallas: Ware (James, though unlikely every down)

Detroit: Sims, Lenon

Green Bay: Hawk, Barnett

Minnesota: Henderson, Greenway

New Orleans: Vilma, Fujita

New York Giants: Pierce, Wilkinson

Philadelphia: Gaither, Bradley

St. Louis: Witherspoon, Tinoisamoa

San Francisco: Willis, Lawson (Lewis)

Seattle: Tatupu, Peterson

Tampa Bay: Ruud, Brooks

Washington: Fletcher
Has this been updated?

Still awaiting confirmation on a couple of teams and the helmet comm issue will be a fluid one. For the sake of argument, let's assume an every down linebacker will average at least 50-55 snaps a game.

New England: Vrabel, Thomas, Mayo (not likely to use a helmet comm according to Belichick)

Has this been updated?
Yes, the box at the end of the post contains the last edit date/time. I'm not sure about what's happening in CIN, DEN, KC, MIA, NYG, and WAS. Those are my best guesses as to who's likely to get 50-55+ snaps/wk.

I'd thought I'd been following this thread relatively closely, but when did these changes occur?

Denver: Williams, Webster -> Webster a 3 down over Bailey?

Jacksonville: Peterson, Smith -> Durant?

San Diego: Wilhelm, Merriman, Phillips -> Wilhelm until Cooper comes back?

BearsFan said:
Denver: Williams, Webster -> Webster a 3 down over Bailey?

Jacksonville: Peterson, Smith -> Durant?

San Diego: Wilhelm, Merriman, Phillips -> Wilhelm until Cooper comes back?
I've heard that Bailey's rehab was progressing well, but have yet to hear whether he's ready to start. If he is, then I'd put him ahead of Webster on this list. I'm expecting Durant to steal snaps from Smith soon, but have yet to read or see that it's already happening. Smith was an overrated run plugger at MLB, but is an underrated cover guy. Not to say that Durant isn't still likely to be a solid all-around player, but it's not clear that any changes have happened yet. And, yes, Cooper will replace Wilhelm on the list when he returns. He was playing his usual dime role in the preseason games I watched.If anyone has any eyes-on notes or links to changes to this list, please post them. I do my best to keep this list as correct as possible, but may well miss something. Thanks.

Michael Lewis is wearing the headset????WOW

Do you have a link to that????

Press Democrat blog

S Michael Lewis will wear the radio device in his helmet in the first half of tonight's game, while Keith Lewis will wear it in the second half. This is the first game the 49ers have played after the rule permitting one defensive player to have radio communication with the sideline.
This is from one of the earlier preseason games. I've not seen anything since then. For most of the preseason, the Niners were planning on having Mark Roman use the comm and there are other press notes reporting that Dashon Goldson took a turn with the helmet as well.

massraider said:
jgb95 said:
Michael Lewis is wearing the headset????WOW Do you have a link to that????
Wouldn't surprise me if bunch of safeties wind up with it. Why is that so surprising?
it's only becuase Lewis was let go in PHI as he was a major liability in coverage.Let's the only reason I was surprised.

It looks to me like they had something of a rotation going last night. I need to rewatch the video, but at times I saw McIntosh out there on 3rd downs, and other times Washington, and at other times Blades. Fletch is the only guy who's definitely on the field at all times . . . and yeah, he's a tackle machine.

There was a rotation on both teams last night.

Washington used some dime defense, with Fletcher the lone backer. Washington played on only a few nickel downs and never as a pass rusher that I noticed, though I haven't watched closely yet. Blades rotated in for McIntosh on a number of series. Both saw time in the nickel during their series of work.

The Giants played some dime, too, with Pierce the lone backer and either Johnson or Phillips creeping up into a WLB-like role. Kehl and Wilkinson split snaps at WLB, with both seeing time in the nickel over Danny Clark.

Essentially, the MLBs on both teams are the only players getting 80% or more of their team's defensive snaps right now.

There was a rotation on both teams last night.Washington used some dime defense, with Fletcher the lone backer. Washington played on only a few nickel downs and never as a pass rusher that I noticed, though I haven't watched closely yet. Blades rotated in for McIntosh on a number of series. Both saw time in the nickel during their series of work.The Giants played some dime, too, with Pierce the lone backer and either Johnson or Phillips creeping up into a WLB-like role. Kehl and Wilkinson split snaps at WLB, with both seeing time in the nickel over Danny Clark.Essentially, the MLBs on both teams are the only players getting 80% or more of their team's defensive snaps right now.
Do you think that if Mcintosh proves he's 100% back he'll be in there all the time? It's amazing that Pierce played every play and only got 1-2.

Gators said:
Jene Bramel said:
There was a rotation on both teams last night.Washington used some dime defense, with Fletcher the lone backer. Washington played on only a few nickel downs and never as a pass rusher that I noticed, though I haven't watched closely yet. Blades rotated in for McIntosh on a number of series. Both saw time in the nickel during their series of work.The Giants played some dime, too, with Pierce the lone backer and either Johnson or Phillips creeping up into a WLB-like role. Kehl and Wilkinson split snaps at WLB, with both seeing time in the nickel over Danny Clark.Essentially, the MLBs on both teams are the only players getting 80% or more of their team's defensive snaps right now.
Do you think that if Mcintosh proves he's 100% back he'll be in there all the time? It's amazing that Pierce played every play and only got 1-2.
I think the Redskins would prefer him to be, but it will depend on how well he holds up -- he's got bad knees and shoulders -- and how well Blades plays.

There was a rotation on both teams last night.

Washington used some dime defense, with Fletcher the lone backer. Washington played on only a few nickel downs and never as a pass rusher that I noticed, though I haven't watched closely yet. Blades rotated in for McIntosh on a number of series. Both saw time in the nickel during their series of work.

The Giants played some dime, too, with Pierce the lone backer and either Johnson or Phillips creeping up into a WLB-like role. Kehl and Wilkinson split snaps at WLB, with both seeing time in the nickel over Danny Clark.

Essentially, the MLBs on both teams are the only players getting 80% or more of their team's defensive snaps right now.
Washington's role is diminishing. It sounds like Rocky is going to get more PT than Washington on passing downs:
Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Redskins fighting injuries, age

David Elfin (Contact)

Marcus Washington usually isn't too hard to find on the football field.

His celebrations and physical play made the strongside linebacker of the Washington Redskins one of the most noticeable players in any game, and strong performances made Washington a Pro Bowl player in 2004 and the best defender on his team.

The Marcus Washington of this season is far less conspicuous: A series of injuries over the past three years has hampered his performance, and the coaches asked him to play a lesser role.

Washington made just one solo tackle in the Redskins' season-opening loss to the New York Giants on Thursday night, his fewest for a full game during five seasons in Washington - and this on a night when middle linebacker London Fletcher made 12 solo stops and weakside backer Rocky McIntosh six.

With bookends Jason Taylor and Andre Carter both in the lineup, Washington no longer plays with his hand down on passing downs, greatly reducing his chances for sacks.

"Every game won't go the way it did against the Giants," linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti said. "Marcus will give us whatever we need that week, like last week when he played on special teams [after linebacker Khary Campbell was a late scratch]. Marcus is a good football player who can do a lot of things. He hasn't changed. He's going to do things that make the defense work that sometimes aren't always the flashy things."

Washington, whose 19.5 sacks since he joined the Redskins are the most on the team, isn't upset about his new, less-dynamic role - though winning would make it all easier to handle.

"It's definitely fun getting to sack the quarterback, getting to come off that corner, and it's just you and that offensive tackle," he said. "Everybody wants to go to the Pro Bowl. Everybody wants the individual accolades. We're only human. But it's about the team winning. Individual goals have to be subordinate to team goals. If they want me to play defensive end on third down, I'll play defensive end. If they want me to play linebacker, I'll play linebacker. That's just the way I've been taught since I was young."

Washington, in his ninth season and nearly 31, no longer is young by NFL standards. He missed just one game during his first six seasons, but hip, hamstring and knee injuries kept him sidelined for six games over the past two years. He also hurt an elbow in August 2007 and reinjured the hip, though much less seriously, last month.

"I had two really good years when I first came here," said Washington, who rested during team drills Monday but expects to start Sunday against the New Orleans Saints. "But in this game, you're going to face adversity, and you gotta be resilient. Football's not a contact sport - it's a collision sport, and being a linebacker sometimes you're going to get a little nicked. The injuries I had weren't like a broken finger or hand where you can tape it up and play through it. They were injuries I had to let rest before I could get back out there."

That's true, but the fact is that Washington made 215 tackles during his first two years with the Redskins but only 118 since.

"I don't have anything to prove to anybody," Washington said. "I felt good the other night. I didn't make any huge plays, but I played OK. I didn't have any loafs. I missed maybe one assignment, one tackle. ... You gotta take care of your responsibility and be consistent doing it."

Washington consistently practices and plays with an enthusiasm that Fletcher said makes him wish he could be so carefree with his celebrations, dancing and trash-talking. Fletcher added that the Redskins don't have another linebacker who physically compares to the 6-foot-3, 248-pound, athletically gifted Washington. But for how much longer?

"It's a fun game, and you gotta play with energy and enthusiasm," Washington said. "[but] sooner or later, [age] is going to catch up with you. As a competitor, you hate to admit that. You try to fight that off as long as you can. It's hard to face that mortality."

Post W2 update posted.

Lost some observational time to a power outage this week, so, as always, homer and other insights are much appreciated.

Bump to bring this back to the first page and also to ask if there is any news on Lofton being/becoming a 3down LB this year? next year?

Bump to bring this back to the first page and also to ask if there is any news on Lofton being/becoming a 3down LB this year? next year?
:o Was on my list of things to do today.Nothing new from the coaching staff. Lofton remains unlikely to join the nickel package this season as long as the team remains competitive and the other linebackers are healthy. Brooking is signed through 2009, but Lofton could very well work himself into an expanded role next offseason.

Nothing new to report in Washington. I'd only add that as 3-down LB's go, McIntosh probably gets fewer plays than the average 3-down OLB because the Redskins like to go into what they call "Big Nickel", with 3 or even 4 safeties out on the field at times. They've also got three talented CB's in Springs, Rogers and Smoot, so depending upon game situation those can be more attractive options to them than having another LB out there.

One thing is for certain though - Marcus Washington is not going to regain the 3-down LB role except perhaps as a pass rusher (which doesn't seem likely given the good DL rotation they have, and which hasn't happened so far). Washington can't simply hang in coverage anymore as was amply demonstrated by Witten two weeks ago.

Nothing new to report in Washington. I'd only add that as 3-down LB's go, McIntosh probably gets fewer plays than the average 3-down OLB because the Redskins like to go into what they call "Big Nickel", with 3 or even 4 safeties out on the field at times. They've also got three talented CB's in Springs, Rogers and Smoot, so depending upon game situation those can be more attractive options to them than having another LB out there.

One thing is for certain though - Marcus Washington is not going to regain the 3-down LB role except perhaps as a pass rusher (which doesn't seem likely given the good DL rotation they have, and which hasn't happened so far). Washington can't simply hang in coverage anymore as was amply demonstrated by Witten two weeks ago.
:lol: Horton and Doughty have definitely started to eat into some of McIntosh's subpackage snaps. I think he's still getting to close to the very arbitrary 80% or so cutoff I'm trying to stick to here.

I'm pretty sure Webster comes off the field on 3rd downs for denver and it's Winborn and D.J.

"LB Nate Webster had 10 tackles against Tampa Bay. Although he comes off the field in passing situations, Webster has been very active from his middle linebacker position all year and has posted good numbers most weeks."

I'm pretty sure Webster comes off the field on 3rd downs for denver and it's Winborn and D.J. "LB Nate Webster had 10 tackles against Tampa Bay. Although he comes off the field in passing situations, Webster has been very active from his middle linebacker position all year and has posted good numbers most weeks."
:hifive:He's not on the list. It's been Bailey ahead of Winborn since his return to the lineup, however, except when the Broncos use the 3-4 as a nickel package.

Bump for weekly update.

Projecting Brandon Johnson, Jamie Winborn and Bryan Kehl to assume every-down roles, with Kehl's dependent on how soon Gerris Wilkinson returns.

Bump for weekly update.Projecting Brandon Johnson, Jamie Winborn and Bryan Kehl to assume every-down roles, with Kehl's dependent on how soon Gerris Wilkinson returns.
How would you rate these 3 moving forward and beyond?
Johnson narrowly over Winborn with Kehl a distant third now. I'm not sure any of them have much long-term value, but Kehl is more likely to be an every-down starter next season than the others.

Users who are viewing this thread