What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sober February (1 Viewer)

Update: Fifteenth day sober. Feeling good but the weather is lousy here, I've been up since six, and I think come around five or six I could really use a drink. Fortunately, I'm sort of motivated to see this through, because my last bout of drinking caused a withdrawal that I'd rather not go through again. I think it's time in life to cool it, so this has been really helpful. I don't know what else to say other than it's another day in the books and I'm planning on going until at least March 6th with this to have a sober month. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The mantra is one day at a time, one moment at a time. If the moment passes, I've done well.  

Peace. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Fifteenth day sober. Feeling good but the weather is lousy here, I've been up since six, and I think come around five or six I could really use a drink. Fortunately, I'm sort of motivated to see this through, because my last bout of drinking caused a withdrawal that I'd rather not go through again. I think it's time in life to cool it, so this has been really helpful. I don't know what else to say other than it's another day in the books and I'm planning on going until at least March 6th with this to have a sober month. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The mantra is one day at a time one moment at a time. If the moment passes, I've done well.  

Peace. 
You've done great.  Keep it up and I will too. 

16 down/16 to go.  Halfway there.  Still uncertain how I will approach the evening of March 8th after my Dr. visit.  Guess I'll see how that goes before making any decisions.

You've done great.  Keep it up and I will too. 

16 down/16 to go.  Halfway there.  Still uncertain how I will approach the evening of March 8th after my Dr. visit.  Guess I'll see how that goes before making any decisions.
Cool. Is there anything serious going on at the doctor's or is it blood work and levels? 

Cool. Is there anything serious going on at the doctor's or is it blood work and levels? 
I have been on cholesterol meds and high blood pressure meds for quite a while and I'm sure a lot of it is booze related.  The extra weight from drinking has been very unhealthy and I'm hoping to reverse that.  I also am at risk for a fatty liver, so this is more than just a time out, I'm hoping. I am too scared to get on a scale for fear that I haven't lost an ounce and even more fearful that my blood work will not be improved.  But I do think I've cut some weight (can see it in my face) and am optimistic 16 more days on the wagon will help further. Despite the cold, I've walked/commuted to work most days this month (5 miles a day) and am thinking about running again (been far too long since I jogged regularly).  It's like my life stopped when my wife gave birth to our twins and I just drank to cope without working on myself.  This break from booze has helped me recognize that mistake and make some resolutions to be better going forward.  

Time will tell.  Too many of my promises have been hollow but I've kept this current one so far and am determined to use this Sober February as fuel to take on other challenges needed for improvement.  

I have been on cholesterol meds and high blood pressure meds for quite a while and I'm sure a lot of it is booze related.  The extra weight from drinking has been very unhealthy and I'm hoping to reverse that.  I also am at risk for a fatty liver, so this is more than just a time out, I'm hoping. I am too scared to get on a scale for fear that I haven't lost an ounce and even more fearful that my blood work will not be improved.  But I do think I've cut some weight (can see it in my face) and am optimistic 16 more days on the wagon will help further. Despite the cold, I've walked/commuted to work most days this month (5 miles a day) and am thinking about running again (been far too long since I jogged regularly).  It's like my life stopped when my wife gave birth to our twins and I just drank to cope without working on myself.  This break from booze has helped me recognize that mistake and make some resolutions to be better going forward.  

Time will tell.  Too many of my promises have been hollow but I've kept this current one so far and am determined to use this Sober February as fuel to take on other challenges needed for improvement.  
I have similar health problems including high cholesterol, blood pressure, and fatty liver. I'm in a similar boat, only without twins. I hope that whatever gains I make from this carry over into March. 

Best of luck to you.  

Stopping in at my usual pizza place with incredible craft beer list. Just waiting for my pizza and looking at my options for 8 days from now. 

I have similar health problems including high cholesterol, blood pressure, and fatty liver. I'm in a similar boat, only without twins. :lmao: I hope that whatever gains I make from this carry over into March. 

Best of luck to you.  
High cholesterol runs in the family as does alcholism.  Lucky for me, based on my father, and his father, I'm MUCH more likely to get Alzheimers than have a heart attack.  Doc ordered a test a couple of years (last year?) and I had 0 blockage which I'm told is rare for someone my age.  So I wouldn't sweat that a whole lot.  I was taking 10mg of LIpitor a day and they doc added 10mg of Zetia a day with it and my numbers are in range now.  FWIW.

Had a scan 6-7 years ago on my liver because I was freaked out about fatty liver because was told I was at risk after blood work and high AST/ALT.  Had an operation 2 years ago and asked the doc to take a peek at it while he was in there and he said it looked perfectly healthy.  AST/ALT have been in range the last couple of years too.  You really need to take a minimum of 5 days with no booze before having blood drawn.  This isn't cheating either.  GM probably knows the story but when I was 22-23 I went on a fishing trip and drank heavily, I mean heavily, for 4 straight days.  Had blood drawn a couple of days later.  Doctor legit thought I was dying.  She had me abstain for 30 days to get an accurate reading and of course it came back normal.  Worse summer ever.  Again, FWIW.

The extra weight is killing me.  I eat right the vast majority of the time.  I work out, I exercise, have years as GM knows.  Can't drop it.  Getting old is the worst.

Yeah despite working out religiously and doing a bunch of yardwork, I'm only down like 3 pounds.

My workouts have improved and I feel less bloated especially around the gut, but the scale hasn't cooperated. 
Yeah, I'm only down about four or five, too. I thought it was more than that because of the reduction in bloating, as you pointed out, but I also have to admit I haven't been working out. 

I figured cutting about 2,000 calories a day would lead to more weight loss, but I think I'm replacing the caloric intake by eating more, frankly. 

That's okay, though. Four or five pounds in two weeks is a pretty good pace for weight loss.  

Haven't drank with any consistency in about 10 years, which was the same time I quit dipping.  I'd wanted to quit for a myriad of reasons, least of all health, and then I got pneumonia.  Didn't drink or dip for the better part of 2 months and that did it for me.  I'd wanted to quit because of my schedule.  I had 3 sons who all played travel baseball and I coach high school football and baseball.  Most weekends were spent at my game or one of my son's games and it became a hassle to drink at night knowing I had to take one of them to a game an hour away.  Usually between 6 and 9am.  

I keep telling my wife that one of these days I'm going to jump off the wagon, but as I get older the appeal just isn't there.  

I hope my story doesn't happen to you.  Don't be a quitter.

I did my annual physical yesterday. Actually my first physical since 2016 but whatever.  They weighed me with shoes on and pockets still containing wallet, keys, and phone. So most of my weight loss was gained right back.

BP and pulse good. Physical went fine but won't know more until blood test results.

I did my annual physical yesterday. Actually my first physical since 2016 but whatever.  They weighed me with shoes on and pockets still containing wallet, keys, and phone. So most of my weight loss was gained right back.

BP and pulse good. Physical went fine but won't know more until blood test results.
Well, you lost the weight, just not according to their chart. You're probably three or four or so pounds down, which is nice for three weeks.  

Days going by faster.  Will for sure do this again next year and beyond.  Might add in Sober October too. 
Not sure I could do this for a full month of NFL/CFB season.

Was thinking about doing one in late July/August to prep for season. Maybe like a training camp one where you start when your favorite team starts training camp and ends 3rd preseason game. 

Just spitballing.

50th Birthday today - Sober February came crashing down last night... and then some;  Dinner with the family and inlaws tonight  -  probably just a few cocktails will be in order - then I will go back on the wagon until a yet to be determined date.  Getting old is the suck. 

Working on day 20. The urges are getting stronger but are not overpowering.  With the finish line at least on the horizon, I'm hellbent on making it to 5pm on Mar. 8th.  

Buddy and I took our teenage sons to a hipster ping pong bar on the east side.  $39 for an hour of ping pong!!!  Jeez.  Went with club soda but really wanted a beer to go with my pong.  

Happy Birthday, BC! 

Eighteen days down, ten more to go for a sober twenty-eight. Not really enjoying this anymore and could use a drink today. Just not a good one. I suppose I'll have these moments as time goes on. 

Holy crap, yesterday was a rough one.  Kids were all over tired from Daddy/Daughter dance on Saturday night, wife was crabby for some stupid reason.  Seemed every hour someone was having a breakdown/tantrum over the smallest things and it was in the 20s with 40mph wind gusts so kicking the kids outside was not an option.   Had to make a run to the grocery store and took every ounce of will power to not go through the liquor aisle on my way out.

It also took until last night for my wife to notice I haven't been drinking.  She is quite observant!

Not quite 72 hours yet, but I am down to single digit days. Less than a week even. The end is in sight. Heading back to mom's so getting to weekend is not an issue. The weekend will be stupid busy too. So I am thinking the temptations/triggers will have a tougher time sneaking for this last stretch. 

Not that I am planning ahead, but does Costco still sell the 48 can case of their own beer anymore?  If so, has it gotten any better?   In two weeks the wife is going to a church conference/retreat thing so it will be me and my 3 girls for 3 days.  Thinking I might need 2 oe 3 of those.

Been on business travel this week, with RFP response hell on top of it. But, holding strong until tomorrow, when I will be free to indulge at dinner and a show with my girl, as the tickets were secured before this adventure was started. May return to clean living for the weekend, but, coming Monday., all bets are off.

I haven't been participating, but have found that I'm just not enjoying drinking as much as I used to.

I went out Saturday, after having a couple vodka drinks at home, and only had 2 drinks at my watering hole.  Just felt like going home and watching TV in bed.... around 11pm-ish.

Going out Friday, playing some poker... we'll see how things pan out then.  I wouldn't be shocked if I called it an early night again.

What day is it?!!!! 

Congratulations to everyone that has made it this far and to those that wish they had, there's always next year.  :thumbup:   Of course you don't exactly have to wait for February to try again.

Personally, I felt better as usual but now the stress is starting to pile up.  WAY too many things going on in my life.  My oldest in the hospital and stuggling, my wife and my mother both need to have back surgery in the coming weeks, plus many others I don't care to discuss.  I just want some nice chicken Marsala and class or two of Chianti tomorrow night.  I made my original goal every year and I think 3/8 is a bridge too far.  Plus being sober does me no good if I have a heart attack or jump in front of a freight train like I've felt like doing the last 3-4 months.

I also have tickets to the Blues in a box on 3/12 that's officially a work function but with a GB and several TBD.  It's all you can drink and eat.  Last year I had 4 beers at the end of SF and was wasted.   Need to start getting my tolerance up. For work. 

What day is it?!!!! 

Congratulations to everyone that has made it this far and to those that wish they had, there's always next year.  :thumbup:   Of course you don't exactly have to wait for February to try again.

Personally, I felt better as usual but now the stress is starting to pile up.  WAY too many things going on in my life.  My oldest in the hospital and stuggling, my wife and my mother both need to have back surgery in the coming weeks, plus many others I don't care to discuss.  I just want some nice chicken Marsala and class or two of Chianti tomorrow night.  I made my original goal every year and I think 3/8 is a bridge too far.  Plus being sober does me no good if I have a heart attack or jump in front of a freight train like I've felt like doing the last 3-4 months.

I also have tickets to the Blues in a box on 3/12 that's officially a work function but with a GB and several TBD.  It's all you can drink and eat.  Last year I had 4 beers at the end of SF and was wasted.   Need to start getting my tolerance up. For work. 
Thanks for spearheading this, GB.  Hope this month is better than last for you.  Always around if you need me.

8 more days.  Hope you jerkwads enjoy your adult beverages at midnight! :)

March 1st! March 1st! 

Congratulations to the stalwarts, the diehards, the dedicated souls that took the shortest month of the year and turned it even shorter because of the Super Bowl -- and then went through with it!

Nah, good work everybody. Probably a much-needed health break for some. 

GM and I still have some work to do here, and I've got to work on changing my overall patterns of behavior, so this has been and will be good for me. Thanks for undertaking at least part of the journey with us. 

Yeeha!

So, I have an anecdote to tell, and don't know that it doesn't go anywhere but here in the sobriety thread. So, yesterday I got a little squirrely and decided to visit the bad part of town where I live to go looking for it. What it is, I won't get into, but it's trouble and it's not sober. It involves booze. Yes, I could buy it at the store, but I'm also looking for other people, etc. 

So as I make my way around said area and check out the lay of the land, I'm heartened. This looks like success. So I wander a bit, catching peoples' eyes and right before somebody is about to approach me, I see a guy. Now, this guy is just standing there by the door, shirt off, tattoos all over his freshly shaved head and chest. 

Okay, this is a bad area. Big deal. 

Then it hits me. Amidst all the ink, all the dense, black, don't-####-with-me ink, there's a huge, red swastika emblazoned on his shirtless self. "Hmm...," I thought. Not good. It was epiphanic. I realized: 

1. Don't talk to this dude
  2. If he's unafraid to be shirtless with that in this area, this area is not where you want to be
  3. You need to beat it out of there, post haste
So I did. And I'm still sober on March 1st. Anyway, just figured I'd keep this thread a bit interesting for those still down with the struggle. We all slip, just remember what we're slipping or slouching towards.  

Peace.  

Thanks for spearheading this, GB.  Hope this month is better than last for you.  Always around if you need me.

8 more days.  Hope you jerkwads enjoy your adult beverages at midnight! :)
Thanks GB and glad to have you on board.  I appreciate the offer but you have enough on your plate.  Know I'm always here for you too. 

Funny, ran into a cousin several months ago that is one of my heroes.   Had several kids and then one late in life with severe Down's.  Now there's a challenge for you.  Big guy, likes to flip over air conditioning units for fun. :lmao: Seriously.  Anyhow, we were at a function and I went to have a smoke and found him outside puffing a cigar.  He asked about Cal and informed him what was going on.  He made a comment something like "Guys like us, Bobby, we have so much responsibility because we can. Never forget that".  So when I'm really down, I try to draw on that.

So, I have an anecdote to tell, and don't know that it doesn't go anywhere but here in the sobriety thread. So, yesterday I got a little squirrely and decided to visit the bad part of town where I live to go looking for it. What it is, I won't get into, but it's trouble and it's not sober. It involves booze. Yes, I could buy it at the store, but I'm also looking for other people, etc. 

So as I make my way around said area and check out the lay of the land, I'm heartened. This looks like success. So I wander a bit, catching peoples' eyes and right before somebody is about to approach me, I see a guy. Now, this guy is just standing there by the door, shirt off, tattoos all over his freshly shaved head and chest. 

Okay, this is a bad area. Big deal. 

Then it hits me. Amidst all the ink, all the dense, black, don't-####-with-me ink, there's a huge, red swastika emblazoned on his shirtless self. "Hmm...," I thought. Not good. It was epiphanic. I realized: 

1. Don't talk to this dude
  2. If he's unafraid to be shirtless with that in this area, this area is not where you want to be
  3. You need to beat it out of there, post haste
So I did. And I'm still sober on March 1st. Anyway, just figured I'd keep this thread a bit interesting for those still down with the struggle. We all slip, just remember what we're slipping or slouching towards.  

Peace.  
Moonshine?  :shuked:

Users who are viewing this thread