What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sober February (2 Viewers)

I appreciate it, but I think your post is a bit misplaced.  I'm glad that your life has improved without alcohol, but it doesn't give you a badge to go around condemning others who do drink.  It was a choice you made that worked out for you and that's great!  Maybe one day I'll make the same choice for myself, but that was never my stated goal nor the impetus of this thread (as stupid or dumb - your words - as you think this thread is).  This thread was established for drinkers who wanted to go without for a month.  Pretty straight forward.  To come in and pooh-pooh it isn't a very good look, to be frank.

I am interested in your story, however, and think that a separate thread/discussion for people who used to drink but no longer do would be a good one.  I just think issuing admonishments in here is beyond the pale.
He's not condemning those who drink. He's telling them how it is. That one month, two months, 6 months deals are all bull####. Your body and mind will let you do that because it knows you will be back at the end. It will give you a false send of hope that you don't have a problem because you stepped away for 30 days. Quitting drinking for a month is so people with drinking problems can feel better about their addiction. Until they truly walk away will it be different. He's exactly right. @boots11234 is not ####ting on anyone. He's trying to help. The only way to know his truth is to experience it, because right now, the only truth the people with the problem know is the truth that drink whispers to them every night. Until then, there's always an excuse for one more log, one more pour, one more beer. 

He's not condemning those who drink. He's telling them how it is. That one month, two months, 6 months deals are all bull####. Your body and mind will let you do that because it knows you will be back at the end. It will give you a false send of hope that you don't have a problem because you stepped away for 30 days. Quitting drinking for a month is so people with drinking problems can feel better about their addiction. Until they truly walk away will it be different. He's exactly right. @boots11234 is not ####ting on anyone. He's trying to help. The only way to know his truth is to experience it, because right now, the only truth the people with the problem know is the truth that drink whispers to them every night. Until then, there's always an excuse for one more log, one more pour, one more beer. 
Well, that certainly is very interesting.  Where did you obtain your degree in Addiction Medicine?

I'm starting after the Super Bowl, so the 2nd for me.  I think most of us are in that boat.  With the extra Feb day due to Leap Year I think we're all in the clear.  :thumbup:
I’m going to finish Jan without a drink.   Think I’m going to have a bourbon this weekend and then do sober Feb.   I’m on a mission to get in good shape in 2020 and booze doesn’t help me reach that goal.   

Well, that certainly is very interesting.  Where did you obtain your degree in Addiction Medicine?
I got my degree by living it for 25 years. I did the sober thing for a month, 3 months, even six months. And then I went back promising myself I wouldn't drink as much when I started again and each and every time I went back, in no time I was back to finding an excuse every night. There are professional sports games on 360+ days a year. Holidays. Special events to celebrate. There needs to be another log on that fire and another finger of whiskey in my glass. I spend $700 on firewood a year. I LOVE adding another log to the fire. We live in a world that if you have a bad day, have a drink it will be better. Had a great day? Have a drink, it will be better. Then look around and check how many major milestones in your life you've experienced sober. Until this year, I'd never wrapped my kids Christmas presents sober. Not a single time. My oldest is 11. 

How close am I? You don't have to tell me. I know the same bull#### you tell your self that I told myself. 

I'll tell you this. You have to keep going through these months of torture of quitting for a little while. It's the only way you get to the point where you realize that it has you and there's no going back. That's when you can truly walk away. Not until you have no hope. As long as you have hope that you have the will to manage it, you will never be able to. But mock my credentials, or my experiences or even my advice. I know where you are and it sucks. I'm waiting here for you on the wagon. It's much better here than it is there. But as long as you have hope of keeping the drinking to healthy levels the cycle will continue. 

On the contrary, I'm quitting for 30 days because it does make you healthier. Kind of like a mini reset button. There have been medical studies that have shown quitting for at least 30 days can reverse some of the damage done. It's likened to lungs regenerating after someone quits smoking. Obviously if you start drinking again, you end up getting negative health consequences, but that doesn't render the 30-day break useless. It's still a net gain to your body than if you didn't take a 30-day break.

I got my degree by living it for 25 years. I did the sober thing for a month, 3 months, even six months. And then I went back promising myself I wouldn't drink as much when I started again and each and every time I went back, in no time I was back to finding an excuse every night. There are professional sports games on 360+ days a year. Holidays. Special events to celebrate. There needs to be another log on that fire and another finger of whiskey in my glass. I spend $700 on firewood a year. I LOVE adding another log to the fire. We live in a world that if you have a bad day, have a drink it will be better. Had a great day? Have a drink, it will be better. Then look around and check how many major milestones in your life you've experienced sober. Until this year, I'd never wrapped my kids Christmas presents sober. Not a single time. My oldest is 11. 

How close am I? You don't have to tell me. I know the same bull#### you tell your self that I told myself. 

I'll tell you this. You have to keep going through these months of torture of quitting for a little while. It's the only way you get to the point where you realize that it has you and there's no going back. That's when you can truly walk away. Not until you have no hope. As long as you have hope that you have the will to manage it, you will never be able to. But mock my credentials, or my experiences or even my advice. I know where you are and it sucks. I'm waiting here for you on the wagon. It's much better here than it is there. But as long as you have hope of keeping the drinking to healthy levels the cycle will continue. 
No offense, but you're coming across as a gigantic doosh magoo in here.  You're not qualified to speak about others relationship with alcohol.  You are neither credentialed nor licensed to dispense medical advice on addiction, so feel free to use your own personal narrative to cast aspersions on people in here that are taking a month off from booze, but it is entirely possible that what worked or needed to be done in your life isn't necessarily what will work or needs to be done in everybody else's life.  We're all different.  We're all free to make our own choices.  If your choice is to pooh-pooh the people in here with a holier than thou superior attitude, my choice will be to put you on ignore.  

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense, but you're coming across as a gigantic doosh magoo in here.  You're not qualified to speak about others relationship with alcohol.  You are neither credentialed nor licensed to dispense medical advice on addiction, so feel free to use your own personal narrative to cast aspersions on people in here that are taking a month off from booze, but it is entirely possible that what worked or needed to be done in your life isn't necessarily what will work or needs to be done in everybody else's life.  We're all different.  We're all free to make our own choices.  If your choice is to pooh-pooh the people in here with a holier than thou superior attitude, my choice will be to put you on ignore.  
I'm sorry you feel that way. But I saw all those excuses you make to drink. In just a few short paragraphs there were quite a lot of them. I've done that. I did that for decades. If you aren't on the same path I was, then by all means, please accept my apology. Also, maybe see this as someone trying to show what it takes to get to the other side. Or just rip me for not being credentialed and not knowing your specific circumstances. I'm good either way. I wish you nothing but the best. I truly do. 

On the contrary, I'm quitting for 30 days because it does make you healthier. Kind of like a mini reset button. There have been medical studies that have shown quitting for at least 30 days can reverse some of the damage done. It's likened to lungs regenerating after someone quits smoking. Obviously if you start drinking again, you end up getting negative health consequences, but that doesn't render the 30-day break useless. It's still a net gain to your body than if you didn't take a 30-day break.
Ok

I have no urge to do this 30 day thing because I think I have a pretty good balance these days in terms of not going off the rails and just in general cutting back somewhat for health reasons. 

Similarly, if I did do it, it would be for weight loss benefits, not because I think I have some all consuming problem with alcohol. And if I was considering that, thefanatics posts in here would definitely send me running in the other direction. 

I'm sorry you feel that way. But I saw all those excuses you make to drink. In just a few short paragraphs there were quite a lot of them. I've done that. I did that for decades. If you aren't on the same path I was, then by all means, please accept my apology. Also, maybe see this as someone trying to show what it takes to get to the other side. Or just rip me for not being credentialed and not knowing your specific circumstances. I'm good either way. I wish you nothing but the best. I truly do. 
Can you be more specific?  Are you commenting on a day back in November where I took my wife out to lunch and had two total drinks on the day?  I think both you and Boots are conflating story telling with excuses.  Or are you citing something else?  I'm a little confused.  

I don't want to get on the other side.  I have never ever once stated or suggested that's where I want to go.  It's great for you but that's a choice YOU made for YOURSELF.  Maybe ask other people what their goals are before projecting?  

And I'm not ripping you, but I do have a problem with people who are not experts in a very specified field dispensing what is coming across as 'professional advice'.  There is no bigger pet peeve of mine than non-qualified people stating opinion as fact based off their personal experiences and NOT education and training.  We see it ALL the time in the anti-vax community.  It's reckless.  There is a reason why financial professionals or lawyers are incredibly cautious and guarded when they speak to people who aren't their clients about their field.  

Can you be more specific?  Are you commenting on a day back in November where I took my wife out to lunch and had two total drinks on the day?  I think both you and Boots are conflating story telling with excuses.  Or are you citing something else?  I'm a little confused.  

I don't want to get on the other side.  I have never ever once stated or suggested that's where I want to go.  It's great for you but that's a choice YOU made for YOURSELF.  Maybe ask other people what their goals are before projecting?  

And I'm not ripping you, but I do have a problem with people who are not experts in a very specified field dispensing what is coming across as 'professional advice'.  There is no bigger pet peeve of mine than non-qualified people stating opinion as fact based off their personal experiences and NOT education and training.  We see it ALL the time in the anti-vax community.  It's reckless.  There is a reason why financial professionals or lawyers are incredibly cautious and guarded when they speak to people who aren't their clients about their field.  
It's pretty typical for recovering addicts to look at everyone else as if they are also addicts.  It's a way they can live with themselves.   Guy sounds like he's a friend of Bill and he's bought into their pseudo-religious crutch.

Gentlemen, I ask that you please refrain from discussing this angle of Sober February (TM) any further.   Now, do some of us drink too much?  Sure.  We also care too much. Love too much. Give too much of our time, blood, sweat and tears to our friends and loved ones.  What brings us here is we have something in common and in February, unity. Community. Judge us not for our generally intoxicated state, our booze related dalliances, our love affair with drugs, for this one month a year, we are sober!

Thank you,

SLB

Gentlemen, I ask that you please refrain from discussing this angle of Sober February (TM) any further.   Now, do some of us drink too much?  Sure.  We also care too much. Love too much. Give too much of our time, blood, sweat and tears to our friends and loved ones.  What brings us here is we have something in common and in February, unity. Community. Judge us not for our generally intoxicated state, our booze related dalliances, our love affair with drugs, for this one month a year, we are sober!

Thank you,

SLB
Waits, does that mean weed too?  Asking for a friend names "Bill W."

:oldunsure:

Similar to how I don't understand people using sex meds. 

"Dont drink alcohol in excess with Cialus."

You're taking something that's allowing you to have sex, but in exchange you're taking away the only thing that's getting you to the sex. 

Day 31 for me. Going to finish off tonight with a Dry January and keep on trucking into a sober February. Was going to just do the 2 months but now I think I'm going to shoot for 100 days. Sugar cravings have subsided. I've lost 11 pounds this month and overall just feel better. I'm hosting a Super Bowl Party and by buddies will be drinking mass quantities of beer, but I have no worries that I will abstain.  For those of you about to start, good luck!! 

Day 31 for me. Going to finish off tonight with a Dry January and keep on trucking into a sober February. Was going to just do the 2 months but now I think I'm going to shoot for 100 days. Sugar cravings have subsided. I've lost 11 pounds this month and overall just feel better. I'm hosting a Super Bowl Party and by buddies will be drinking mass quantities of beer, but I have no worries that I will abstain.  For those of you about to start, good luck!! 
:thumbup:

Not quitting. Just not binging anymore. I’m one who can not drink for a week then go out on a Friday with the guys, work function, Vegas trip etc and have 3-6 or so vodka sodas. Glasses of wine on top of that if poured. Never sloppy. High tolerance. But not good for heart risk etc.  so sticking to 2 whenever I do drink for the most part. 

Not quitting. Just not binging anymore. I’m one who can not drink for a week then go out on a Friday with the guys, work function, Vegas trip etc and have 3-6 or so vodka sodas. Glasses of wine on top of that if poured. Never sloppy. High tolerance. But not good for heart risk etc.  so sticking to 2 whenever I do drink for the most part. 
Those that can moderate their drinking earn esteem in my book. I just can't do that. 

wife decided we are having a small Super Bowl party.   :mellow:    started last sunday, so i will have a week in the books before sunday.  will resume monday.  i'm looking forward to it!

Day 5 for me with my early start and even though I ended up going out for dinner more than planned, doing well.

I need to cut down on the sugar though. People have been bringing in all kinds of goodies at work and it's been too many cookies and cakes.

I'm already on day 9 and I feel Tony the Tiger Greeeeeeat!  I was drinking four or five six packs a week, all high ABV (Dale's Pale Ale and Little Sumpin' Sumpins).

Looking forward to the pounds melting away, and will be bragging about it in the Otis thread.
Don't put the cart before your fat ###.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a head start, so this is day 9 for me. Been a couple really tough days where I was in situations where I would normally drink. But I didn't. Trying to also work out (Peloton) every day in February. That will be tougher for me than not drinking. Probably.

Had my last beer during the 4th quarter yesterday and am ready to roll through Feb sober as a judge.  Brought my growler with me so I can fill it up with delicious Kombucha on my way home from work.

brohans i am at day 6 and feeling aok but this is hard as hell take that to the bank
You can do this. Think of all you will have saved up for the bank.  Seriously, you really can. If a fool like me can, you can. 
im giving it a shot and left two times out with people early so far so that i do not drink it is not easy but im making this happen take that to the bank bromigos 

Users who are viewing this thread