What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sober February (2 Viewers)

Still going well. down ~10lbs and feel great. 

Taking a 48hr hiatus for a Bach party in Atlanta for a wedding I'm standing in. Then back on the wagon.

May keep it going to Fri March 6th as makeup. May not. Will see :)  
It is strange, every time I quit drinking I actually gain weight.

It is strange, every time I quit drinking I actually gain weight.
Yeah, I generally replace the lost calories with sweets, which I avoid normally.  I've probably had 7 cookies that my wife made since Friday.  :bag:

One thing I have noticed is the bags under my eyes are almost gone completely.  :thumbup:

2 weekends in the books.  Taking the kids to the zoo today.  Holding strong.  No cravings at all.  

Giving serious thought to month-on, month-off this year.  

made it through valentines weekend.  which was difficult!  worst weekend of the year in the restaurant biz.  smooth sailing now.

@General Malaise i might  be in for some sort of month on/off thing.  i'm going skiing in jackson hole on 3/1.  i know i'll have a few beers then.  but when i come back, i might just start up again.

Fell off the wagon hard on Friday / Saturday (there are reason/excuses but I'll keep them to myself).  However, Sunday and today have been smooth sailing and I plan to make it to 3/1 without another drop.

After about 14 days off I felt like crap on Saturday and Sunday morning which was good - makes me want to never return to drinking every day - can't believe feeling like THAT was normal. 

made it through valentines weekend.  which was difficult!  worst weekend of the year in the restaurant biz.  smooth sailing now.

@General Malaise i might  be in for some sort of month on/off thing.  i'm going skiing in jackson hole on 3/1.  i know i'll have a few beers then.  but when i come back, i might just start up again.
Yeah, I'll be drinking come March 3rd.  Beers and opening rounds of March Madness are one of life's greatest joys!  

I'd be up for Abstinence April, tho....

I haven't had a drink since early January but tomorrow may be rolling up to Russian river brewery and drinking some pliny the younger. I also have my sister's 40th bday party Saturday but then I'll probably stop drinking again until the next big event. I love waking up so refreshed and only being bloated from too many tacos.

General Malaise said:
Yeah, I generally replace the lost calories with sweets, which I avoid normally.  I've probably had 7 cookies that my wife made since Friday.  :bag:

One thing I have noticed is the bags under my eyes are almost gone completely.  :thumbup:

2 weekends in the books.  Taking the kids to the zoo today.  Holding strong.  No cravings at all.  

Giving serious thought to month-on, month-off this year.  
I've done this in years past and was doing a good job this year until 2/14 when I was given a bunch of really good gourmet chocolates.  I ATE THEM ALL.  I figure this way they're gone and I won't be tempted again.

In an effort to lose belly fat this year I've also changed my eating habits.  I eat something for breakfast every day even it's just toast.  I've been trying to have eggs and bacon/sausage, aka protein, when I have time, before working out.  I've also started eating lunch/dinner around 3:30 and nothing but black coffee the rest of the day. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: SWC
I haven't had a drink since early January but tomorrow may be rolling up to Russian river brewery and drinking some pliny the younger. I also have my sister's 40th bday party Saturday but then I'll probably stop drinking again until the next big event. I love waking up so refreshed and only being bloated from too many tacos.
:lmao:   I hear you. :thumbup:

i got to say i really really really like waking up in the morning and only having the usual aches and pains i have from being old and ruined but not having a stomach acid ache or fuzzy head basically this is good stuff and i need to just keep that in my mind becuse honestly this waking up clear is really good take that to the bank bromigos 

Agreed on waking up clear headed; fresh as a daisy, fit as a fiddle.  Went out Saturday night with a few other couples; dinner followed by a drinks at another bar, followed by drinks and more at our neighbor friend's house that lasted until 11pm (I know, I know, but we're all early risers and dinner was at 5:30).   I was the DD and was laughing at all the antics that went long into the night.  But on Sunday morning, EVERYBODY was dragging hard with hangovers as they checked in to review the night's festivities.  But not me....I felt like a million bucks!  

i sort of like waking up early and knowing that i dont have to worry about anything i said or did wrong the night before like my main man colin hay from men at work down under says in his song called beautiful world and still this emptyness persists perhaps this is as good as it gets when you give up the drink and the nasty cigarettes you leave the party early but at least with no regrets i watch the sun come up and watch it as she sets yeah this is as good as it gets take that to the bank brohans 

i sort of like waking up early and knowing that i dont have to worry about anything i said or did wrong the night before like my main man colin hay from men at work down under says in his song called beautiful world and still this emptyness persists perhaps this is as good as it gets when you give up the drink and the nasty cigarettes you leave the party early but at least with no regrets i watch the sun come up and watch it as she sets yeah this is as good as it gets take that to the bank brohans 
I'm hoping that it's better than that, SWCer. And at first it may seem that way. I don't know; I'm still new to this whole thing, so I can't give you much to go on, but I think the clarity as the months go by gets better. I think just remembering that helps. 

rockaction said:
I'm hoping that it's better than that, SWCer. And at first it may seem that way. I don't know; I'm still new to this whole thing, so I can't give you much to go on, but I think the clarity as the months go by gets better. I think just remembering that helps. 
i dont know i think there is something about human condition that makes us feel empty from time to time and i think the best way for me at least to fill it is to go out and do service for others through church or community projects or whatever and if i am being honest i am disappointed in myself when instead of doing that i try to fill it up with beer yeah it makes it go away but that aint no reason to drink and this here sober february has helped me figure some stuff out i think not the least of which is just pure self control take that to the bank bromigo 

I saw some “Brewdog Stout AF non-alcoholic near beer” at the liquor store and bought a six pack. It’s not the greatest tasting, but the look and smell are really authentic. It seems like a real stout. 

After googling a bit, I stumbled upon this article. https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2020/1/17/brewdog-eyes-alcohol-free-domination-with-new-bar-and-range-of-af-beers
I tried some "craft" non-alcoholic beers last month... an ipa, stout, and red, I believe. They were horrific. I'm glad you found an alternative you can tolerate!

'ola! from the other side!

had a few/six Whiskey Sours last night during a call to the coast ... head is throbbing, pulse bpm is rockin' at 120 (normally 65), a few hellacious dumps that woulda drowned a hippo ... and 2 hours late for my first client sit this morning (they bailed).

so, one question for you all ...

MISS IT YET?

:ptts:

This is my third month on the last calendar year that I've gone "sober" and I have yet to attempt a NA beer.  Sounds like I'm not missing out.  :thumbup:
I only tried them because they were available as singles. Had I been forced to buy a pack... no way. But I'm glad I did because now I know if it comes down to it, I'd rather just drink water or milk.

Day 25 with 9 more to go (single digits....yes!).

Was seriously tempted the other day after having a technical interview that didn't go so well.  Kept myself busy with other things i needed to do and moved on.

Yeah about the only thing i drink are water, milk, and coffee. Occasionally sweet tea or juice. i might have a Coke on the weekend to treat myself. I haven't tried the flavored seltzers because a)i don't want any of sugar substitutes that might be in them and 2) I see them in 6 packs or bigger. 

I only tried them because they were available as singles. Had I been forced to buy a pack... no way. But I'm glad I did because now I know if it comes down to it, I'd rather just drink water or milk.
I've tried NA beers in the past, but they were awful.  I can't imagine they've improved, even in the craft beer world.  

I do really enjoy the Lagunitas Dry Hopped Refreshers.  New Season's has them for $6.99 a four pack, which is a bit high for NA drinks, but I like them and a nice alternative to other NA beverages.  No carbs, no sugars, no calories, but very...well....refreshing.  

I've tried NA beers in the past, but they were awful.  I can't imagine they've improved, even in the craft beer world.  

I do really enjoy the Lagunitas Dry Hopped Refreshers.  New Season's has them for $6.99 a four pack, which is a bit high for NA drinks, but I like them and a nice alternative to other NA beverages.  No carbs, no sugars, no calories, but very...well....refreshing.  
Yup, as far as I'm concerned, no master brewer in the world could make these NA beers enjoyable.

So, these refreshers are... sort of a slightly bitter seltzer, if I understand correctly?

Yup, as far as I'm concerned, no master brewer in the world could make these NA beers enjoyable.

So, these refreshers are... sort of a slightly bitter seltzer, if I understand correctly?
They are worth trying to see what you think.  Buffalo Wild Wings carries them because they are used in a few of their new signature cocktails.  

Pretty good review here:

Nothing hits the spot for a carb-conscious hophead like myself like a good carbonated hop water. I was intrigued by this one because one of the ingredients is brewer's yeast. I found this explanation on the Lagunitas website:

An IPA-inspired refreshment that's zero-alcohol, zero-carbohydrate, and zero-calorie, made using everything we know about hops. It's chock-full of Citra, Equinox, and Centennial hops, as well as some natural flavors and a pinch brewer's yeast to biotransform-ate the hops to just the right flavor.

"What is biotransformation? Brewmonster Jeremy Marshall put it best: “Yeast biotransforms the existing hop terpenes into more desirable terpenes. You need yeast to liberate the hop flavors, and that’s the most important thing that we know from making IPAs, and we leveraged it in making Hoppy Refresher.” "

Their technique seems to do the trick! This hoppy refresher has a nice, balanced hoppy flavor without much bitterness, and really "pops" a lot more than other hop waters. Yum.

Picked up a 4pk of these yesterday based on your recommendation. Big fan! Will be picking up a case today.

As a guy who has only drank water, beer and coffee for the past 10 years, it's great to have another option in the mix. My wife drinks fruity seltzers, but I never really got into them. These Hoppy Refreshers also pair very nicely with some reefer. Great way to enjoy a guilt-free weekday buzz with no next day repercussions.  :thumbup:

'ola! from the other side!

had a few/six Whiskey Sours last night during a call to the coast ... head is throbbing, pulse bpm is rockin' at 120 (normally 65), a few hellacious dumps that woulda drowned a hippo ... and 2 hours late for my first client sit this morning (they bailed).

so, one question for you all ...

MISS IT YET?

:ptts:
Lol.  Love it.

No, I don’t miss any of that.  Not even a little.  Haven’t missed it for over 5 years.

Good luck to everyone in here.

Week 3 in the books. One more week till the finish line. I'll make it till the first week in March. Friends/Leaguemates are getting together for a Trophy presentation ceremony. Likely at a local watering hole. (Drive by brag alert). Since I'm the one getting the trophy this year, I'm sure I'll be participating in the revelry. 

But after that I might try the rest of March until the first week in April when a similar cast of characters will get together for the last opening day at the "local" AAA team.  That is another must do as it will be a fond farewell to a on against off again tradition going back ~30 years now. Hoppy beverages have always been a part of that particular event too.

Down the home stretch now my friends.  :thumbup:

I've somehow managed to gain weight the last week or so.  Part of it is my wrecked feet have been killing me and thanks to OPIOD CRISIS!!!11!!  I can't get even mild pain relievers from my podiatrist.  That means walking has been at a premium and it's way too cold to bike.   Of course it doesn't help that Mrs. SLB brought home a big box of fresh donuts yesterday. Glazed donuts with a layer of chocolate on top that are as big as your face.   I just can't resist them.  I think I ate 5 over the course of the day. :bag:

SWC said:
amen brohans i made it through now on friday it will only be the 28th but i am going fishing and will have a beer so that will have to be close enough for the old swcer but after this weekend i think i am probably going to do a mostly sober march too this is good stuff take that to the bank bromigos
Nice job, Broseephus.  :thumbup:

Have a 50th birthday dinner on Saturday with friends and will circle that as my end to Sober February this year.  However, I plan on taking it very easy and waiting until we are seated Sat. night for my first drink since Super Bowl.  Pleasantly surprised how easy it was to go without and while I know that opens myself up to scrutiny and criticism from our recovering alcoholics, I was just personally satisfied that I had ZERO desire to drink at all the last 21 days.  

Nice job, Broseephus.  :thumbup:

Have a 50th birthday dinner on Saturday with friends and will circle that as my end to Sober February this year.  However, I plan on taking it very easy and waiting until we are seated Sat. night for my first drink since Super Bowl.  Pleasantly surprised how easy it was to go without and while I know that opens myself up to scrutiny and criticism from our recovering alcoholics, I was just personally satisfied that I had ZERO desire to drink at all the last 21 days.  
excellent work my friend! it's been a breeze for me as well.  which, has not always been the case.  see ya in april.

yeah right on guys i think it was easier than i thought except for valentines day and the all star saturday night i just wanted to have one but i did not so i think i will keep it more limited from here on out and just enjoy life more on my own without pouring beer on it take that to the bank brochachos

ok brohans i am probably not going to check in here tomorrow but i made it until tomorrow night when i will meet up with my bromigos after fishing and will have a few barleycorns i have some deshoots fresh squeeze ipa that i am going to have and brohans i am going to like it and i will for sure have some more on samstag evening but i will go back to the old sober ways come church day take that to the bank brochachos 

Today is Day 33. I think I go off the wagon tomorrow.  Nice weather, my son will be back from college. I'll be grilling... might as well crack one open

if my court ordered rehab stints taught me anything, it was that the recidivism rate for abstainers is roughly 90% ...

we gonna top that in here?

:popcorn:

SWC said:
ok brohans i am probably not going to check in here tomorrow but i made it until tomorrow night when i will meet up with my bromigos after fishing and will have a few barleycorns i have some deshoots fresh squeeze ipa that i am going to have and brohans i am going to like it and i will for sure have some more on samstag evening but i will go back to the old sober ways come church day take that to the bank brochachos 
That Fresh Squeeze is a good one, GB.  Have enjoyed many of those over the years.  Great job!

I cracked yesterday at the bar with a buddy I hadn't seen in a while.  25 days without a drop prior, so not even a full month.  Blah.  

I am going to give 'intermittent drinking' a shot this year.  Month on, month off.  Maybe.  We'll see how I feel at the end of March, but I think it might be something worth trying.   

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I think a congratulations are due who anyone who attempted this, an abstention tougher for some than others because of a myriad of things, prior habits, stressors, etc. Good work to all those who attempted. To those who are concerned or want to see it further through with the aid of others, there are good people everywhere to turn. Somebody wants to help in case there is a unaddressed problem that you -- only you -- want to come to address. Good luck, God bless. 

Week 4 in the books. Even tho this week was stressful, I did ok and found other ways to chill in the evening. I'll be pushing this through to next Thursday. Friends are putting together a tasting/trophy presentation/East Coast vs West Coast friend group taunting session Thursday evening. Pretty happy with myself right now. After Thursday, we'll see how it feels. I might do another month. 

Congrats to all who've attempted this. 

ETA: Sorry to hear the news about your mom, StLBob.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at next Wednesday as the end of my sober run since I'm joining my local Eagles club that night.  33 days of letting my liver take a break.    Lost 8 lbs.  I'll probably do this again next year, but in January.  I have too many friends with birthdays that want to go out celebrating in February.   

Sorry, Bob.  I'll raise a few to you and your mom next week.

That Fresh Squeeze is a good one, GB.  Have enjoyed many of those over the years.  Great job!

I cracked yesterday at the bar with a buddy I hadn't seen in a while.  25 days without a drop prior, so not even a full month.  Blah.  

I am going to give 'intermittent drinking' a shot this year.  Month on, month off.  Maybe.  We'll see how I feel at the end of March, but I think it might be something worth trying.   
i am doing intermittint drinking too i drank friday and saturday with my fishing guys but now i am going right back on the wagon and for lent i am giving up salt and going to try to cut out carbs to so basically i am going to give this whole live like i care about living thing a try take that to the bank bromigos

Users who are viewing this thread