What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sober February (1 Viewer)

I had drinks on 5 days in Feb - wish the number was lower but this month was a real eye-opener for me on how much better I feel when I'm not drinking every day.  Wife and I celebrated our "sober" Feb yesterday with some home made pasta sauce and lots of wine/drinks.  But now we are striving to go sober until St. Patrick's Day.

Day 70... at this point I have started to wonder why I did all that drinking throughout the years. My weight loss has plateaued. I guess I need to up the workouts. But I feel really good. I'm still going to try to push to 100 days, but I coach high school basketball and our team is the state quarter finals. If we somehow make it to championship night and win the whole thing ( not likely) I will be drinking Saturday night for sure!!

Day 70... at this point I have started to wonder why I did all that drinking throughout the years. My weight loss has plateaued. I guess I need to up the workouts. But I feel really good. I'm still going to try to push to 100 days, but I coach high school basketball and our team is the state quarter finals. If we somehow make it to championship night and win the whole thing ( not likely) I will be drinking Saturday night for sure!!
congrats on the solid season all the same and on your sobriety take that to the bank brohan

I think I'm starting early in 2021. Starting early has been a way too common occurrence.  My Covid drinking (and weight gain) has really gotten out of hand. WFH has made day drinking all too easy.

My goal is to start Monday Jan 4th and stop Presidents Day weekend. Almost 6 weeks.

ok brohans i am probably not going to check in here tomorrow but i made it until tomorrow night when i will meet up with my bromigos after fishing and will have a few barleycorns i have some deshoots fresh squeeze ipa that i am going to have and brohans i am going to like it and i will for sure have some more on samstag evening but i will go back to the old sober ways come church day take that to the bank brochachos 
That Fresh Squeeze is a good one, GB.  Have enjoyed many of those over the years.  Great job!

I cracked yesterday at the bar with a buddy I hadn't seen in a while.  25 days without a drop prior, so not even a full month.  Blah.  

I am going to give 'intermittent drinking' a shot this year.  Month on, month off.  Maybe.  We'll see how I feel at the end of March, but I think it might be something worth trying.   
i am doing intermittint drinking too i drank friday and saturday with my fishing guys but now i am going right back on the wagon and for lent i am giving up salt and going to try to cut out carbs to so basically i am going to give this whole live like i care about living thing a try take that to the bank bromigos
so right after this post i found out i had a heart attack i mean like literally i went to the hospital about 830 am that morning crazy to read this so lets just say that i kept my word and have been a church mouse since then and have now lost about 50 lbs or more and have been sober as a judge and i aim to keep at it take that to the bank brohans 

I think I'm starting early in 2021. Starting early has been a way too common occurrence.  My Covid drinking (and weight gain) has really gotten out of hand. WFH has made day drinking all too easy.

My goal is to start Monday Jan 4th and stop Presidents Day weekend. Almost 6 weeks.
I'm sure a lot of us are in the same boat. I'm going from after my b-day (1/7) to my wife's b-day (2/25).

so right after this post i found out i had a heart attack i mean like literally i went to the hospital about 830 am that morning crazy to read this so lets just say that i kept my word and have been a church mouse since then and have now lost about 50 lbs or more and have been sober as a judge and i aim to keep at it take that to the bank brohans 
Oh man, that's scary stuff.  I'm glad you're still with us and happy to hear about the positive changes.  I'm in after the Super Bowl and look forward to conversing with you in here brohican and take that to the bank!

Good news is I've been working out religiously and scary close to having a 6 (4-12?) pack.  Being constrained makes me all hyper and although I'm a stress eater, have been intermittently fasting instead.

However it's going to be really difficult this year.  I just hope there isn't bitter cold weather so I can wander around town aimlessly and  kill 3-4 weeks.

church mice unite bruh

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

Good news is I started January 4th. Bad news is I'm getting off this train sometime next week.  

Good luck February folks.

I was thinking about this thread the other day. Yeah, the Covid drinking hasn't been a good thing. Not doing the day-drinking thing, but the will power has been stretched really thin by the time the evening rolls around. Way too easy to head to couch in the evening, watch mindless TV and be mindless.

So, I'm in again this year. I'll be starting after the super bowl. So the 8th to the 8th.

im basically sober all the time now anyhow so i am doing a sober and clean eating february join me and lets get helthy take that to the bank bromigos 

In this year. 

Last year I gave up alcohol for lent. Scrapped that after a couple days at home with everyone. 

I've been enjoying a beer in the last hour of work and a couple drinks most nights for the past 11 months. This month I'm giving that up.

Will still drink during the Super bowl.

Not as many participants this year but my blood work was best ever.  So I got that going for me. Probably because I didn't substitute booze for teh weed and gorge which has happened in years past. Of course I didn't get much done either like I usually do because of the arctic freeze.  That was cool though, hung with Mrs. SLB watched Wandvision and stuff.

Until next year.

Not as many participants this year but my blood work was best ever.  So I got that going for me. Probably because I didn't substitute booze for teh weed and gorge which has happened in years past. Of course I didn't get much done either like I usually do because of the arctic freeze.  That was cool though, hung with Mrs. SLB watched Wandvision and stuff.

Until next year.
I joined you in spirit. Or not partaking of spirits. Whatever. I drank once since the day after Christmas and won't touch it again until Easter. 

How is your fatty liver?  Better?

I joined you in spirit. Or not partaking of spirits. Whatever. I drank once since the day after Christmas and won't touch it again until Easter. 

How is your fatty liver?  Better?
How kind of you to ask. 

Yes, it has been much better. In terms of numbers AST 16 and ALT 31 and I only stopped drinking for two weeks before draw.

Tell us about it.  What have you learned?
well not sure if I've " Learned" anything, but I can tell you a few things that have helped me. 

Brief background, last summer, after some pretty good drinking through lockdown, I had my yearly checkup and had high ALT number. So I quit drinking and went back a month later and things were back to good. I made the decision to go ahead and keep it up. 

I have tried to quit several times over the last 5 years, but I always end up slowly getting back to my old ways. The hardest part for me is that there are so many activities that I do that beer was associated with. Yard work? Have a beer, Grilling? Have a beer. Golf, have SEVERAL beers. you get the point. I had to learn to manage the triggers. For the most part that's all gone. I have my golf foursome, who I grew up with, who are also my drinking buddies. They have been really supportive and that's made it easier. I even went down to the local watering hole for some darts Wednesday night and the bartender just brings me a Diet Dr. Pepper without even asking if I want a beer. 

My advice to those who are trying to quit, its like anything it will snowball the longer it goes. Also this is the first time I've  "quit" without counting the days. Before I could always tell you how many days its been, now I only have a general idea. I know I quit sometime in June and with the exception of Election night I've been sober. 

The benefits have been noticeable as well. I sleep SO MUCH better than before. I've saved a ton of money. My anxiety has improved as well as my overall health. I do miss that buzz you get from drinking, but not sure I could keep the drinking in moderation. So as I tell people, I don't know if I'll drink again, I just know I don't want to  drink right now.  

well not sure if I've " Learned" anything, but I can tell you a few things that have helped me. 

Brief background, last summer, after some pretty good drinking through lockdown, I had my yearly checkup and had high ALT number. So I quit drinking and went back a month later and things were back to good. I made the decision to go ahead and keep it up. 

I have tried to quit several times over the last 5 years, but I always end up slowly getting back to my old ways. The hardest part for me is that there are so many activities that I do that beer was associated with. Yard work? Have a beer, Grilling? Have a beer. Golf, have SEVERAL beers. you get the point. I had to learn to manage the triggers. For the most part that's all gone. I have my golf foursome, who I grew up with, who are also my drinking buddies. They have been really supportive and that's made it easier. I even went down to the local watering hole for some darts Wednesday night and the bartender just brings me a Diet Dr. Pepper without even asking if I want a beer. 

My advice to those who are trying to quit, its like anything it will snowball the longer it goes. Also this is the first time I've  "quit" without counting the days. Before I could always tell you how many days its been, now I only have a general idea. I know I quit sometime in June and with the exception of Election night I've been sober. 

The benefits have been noticeable as well. I sleep SO MUCH better than before. I've saved a ton of money. My anxiety has improved as well as my overall health. I do miss that buzz you get from drinking, but not sure I could keep the drinking in moderation. So as I tell people, I don't know if I'll drink again, I just know I don't want to  drink right now.  
this is really helpful thank you for sharing 

My "fast" is ending tonite. One day short of the full month. A bunch a buddies are getting together tonite over zoom for some hijinks. The time went quick.

Congrats - my question to you.  You mention health and drinking in moderation.  Which was a bigger factor?  I’ve been cutting back to a degree to improve my health but I still feel I have the moderation thing down.  Go days without drinking, essentially  never drunk (although I couldn’t drive legally).  Was your motivation to make sure you didn’t have an addiction issue or just keep your health a priority?

Hope my question is well-received - I’m supportive of anybody who wants to quit, no matter the reason.

Congrats - my question to you.  You mention health and drinking in moderation.  Which was a bigger factor?  I’ve been cutting back to a degree to improve my health but I still feel I have the moderation thing down.  Go days without drinking, essentially  never drunk (although I couldn’t drive legally).  Was your motivation to make sure you didn’t have an addiction issue or just keep your health a priority?

Hope my question is well-received - I’m supportive of anybody who wants to quit, no matter the reason.
A little of both of I’m being honest... my father was an alcoholic and had drank himself to death by the age of 41. So I’ve always been mindful of that. I’ve never had a dui, never had any personal problems stem from drinking, but I have found myself getting to point that when I started drinking it was going to be a big night, nearly every time. That was something that started to scare me. 

but my biggest factor is the health issue. I’ve seen what it looks like when someone destroys their liver by drinking first hand. It is a terrible way to die and that m, probably more than anything is my biggest motivational factor. If I could drink in moderation and with no I’ll effects health wise I would do it. Maybe one day I will... I don’t know

I just completed a January 01 to February 01, 100% booze free month.  I'm quite proud of myself and frankly surprised it was not as bad as I thought.  Hardest time was out to dinner with friends.  Other than that, not as crushing as I've been building it up in my head forever.  This coming from a guy that has 3-4 bourbons nightly and hasn't had a completely dry month in at least 25 years.  Good luck everyone, I'm on my way to a bar!
Geez.  Scanning back through this thread, the above is definitely the last time Ive gone more than a few days without a drink.  Think I’ll try again for a January dry month.  This was a reality check.  Thanks.

Planning on doing Sober January again
Same. I've attempted it every year for the last 5-6 years. Best was 21 days. Worst was 3 days when I met my wife for dinner and she had ordered me a margarita already (she forgot). Luckily, she's on board to do it with me this year. Gonna make the whole month! Or more!

i am skiing the 1st week of jan and feb.  skiing requires a beer or 3 at the end of the day.  i'll either do 1/8-1/28 or 2/6-3/1

Planning on doing Sober January again

So far, so good. I started on the 1st. No drinks this weekend despite being unsupervised (wife is visiting adult son in Utah) and plenty of football. Trying to use energy on working out and yard work. 

Work has decided that I need the CISSP cert so I've been studying for that too.

looks like Dry January is coming to an end prematurely this week. Going to see Dwight Yoakam on Friday. If I'm drinking then, well I might as well start with my friends at Thursday Happy Hour.

looks like Dry January is coming to an end prematurely this week. Going to see Dwight Yoakam on Friday. If I'm drinking then, well I might as well start with my friends at Thursday Happy Hour.
Take the drinks and come back for Sober February!

Nah, good work, JaxBill. 

I've been drinking less and less over the last several months, but although getting through the weekdays without a beer was pretty easy, the weekends would always get me by the time Saturday rolled around if I had managed to hold out on Friday.

So I read that some people use flavored sparkling water as a substitute, and I tried it this past weekend. I may have drank a crap ton of it, but it worked!

Still was able to crack open a can, pour it in a pint glass, and enjoy a carbonated beverage. Some of the aesthetics were there without the guilt that comes with all the alcohol and empty calories.

I've been sleeping and feeling so much better. It's now been well over a week without beer, and I'm looking forward to another restful weekend without it.

So I read that some people use flavored sparkling water as a substitute, and I tried it this past weekend. I may have drank a crap ton of it, but it worked!

Still was able to crack open a can, pour it in a pint glass, and enjoy a carbonated beverage. Some of the aesthetics were there without the guilt that comes with all the alcohol and empty calories.
That's what I've been doing -- with me it's instead of rum. I pour myself a big glass of flavored seltzer on ice and sip it over the course of an hour or so and it's been a pretty good substitute. 

To the above commenters, I haven't had a drink in two years and nine months and I still drink a ton of sparkling water as a substitute. I almost always need a drink in my hand, but it's so much better than having that be alcohol. Good luck with your endeavors to stop drinking more than you want to. 

To the above commenters, I haven't had a drink in two years and nine months and I still drink a ton of sparkling water as a substitute. I almost always need a drink in my hand, but it's so much better than having that be alcohol. Good luck with your endeavors to stop drinking more than you want to. 

:thumbup:

Very impressive.  What's it done to your body overall?  

Sober Feb gets pushed back for me this year with the Super Bowl being played on Feb 13.  Going to try to take it into the first week of March Madness.  

:thumbup:

Very impressive.  What's it done to your body overall?  

Sober Feb gets pushed back for me this year with the Super Bowl being played on Feb 13.  Going to try to take it into the first week of March Madness.  
I’m on my phone, so this may seem brief, but my liver levels are now normal. I’ve gained a touch of weight, as I was such an alcoholic that I was malnourished. I was still doughy and overweight back then, but I wasn't getting proper nutrients and suffered infections. That has changed a bit. 

I sleep better and wake up better when I’m sober. I should say that I’m not perfectly sober, and I lapse into non-prescription drugs, but I’ve been somewhat okay on that front. I, too, could use Sober February. 

But the liver is huge. They’d always wanted me to have an ultrasound after every physical, etc. I no longer need that, fingers crossed. 

My stomach has also seriously improved . I went for constant diarrhea to solid movements. TMI, but true. 

And that’s about it, really. My skin is much better, too, as are the bags under my eyes. It’s just helped so much, not drinking. 

Last edited by a moderator:
been mostly dry the last three weeks.  drank twice.  6 total beers.  headed to deer valley on friday.  so will start 2/6 in earnest.

I was wondering this morning as I walked out the door with a thermos of coffee, a big jug of flavoured water and a bottle of coke Zero in my hands if I consume way more fluids than the average person. 

And on the weekend, this pretty easily changes to 4-5 or sometimes more beers a night. I've cut back a lot on the alcohol but I wonder if mixing in even more flavoured water or whatever else could help me cut out some more. 

I've been doing outpatient treatment since mid December.  Sober about 2 months. Drinking was abusive, daily and doing real damage to my body. I have been in and out of recovery over the years. Never did the real work it took to maintain sobriety. This time I am following instructions to the best of my ability.   

Went to the Dr. a few days back. Down 15 pounds, blood pressure down, enzymes down, lipids down. Amazing how that works. 

Feel immensely better. But more importantly doing the stuff every day for a better way of living. Not white knuckling it like times before. 

That's what I've been doing -- with me it's instead of rum. I pour myself a big glass of flavored seltzer on ice and sip it over the course of an hour or so and it's been a pretty good substitute. 
Any favorite brands/flavors?

So far I've tried Waterloo peach (pretty good), La Croix tangerine (ok but still definitely drinkable), and several varieties of Sparkling Ice (very tasty but they have artificial sweeteners so I want to only have one occasionally).

Northern Voice said:
And on the weekend, this pretty easily changes to 4-5 or sometimes more beers a night. I've cut back a lot on the alcohol but I wonder if mixing in even more flavoured water or whatever else could help me cut out some more
You might be drinking so much to rehydrate yourself without knowing consciously what you're doing. I went to the doctor with these awful jaw pains once. I thought I was getting a tumor or something was just really wrong. "You're dehydrated," she told me, as she was aware of my drinking. I no longer have dehydration issues. Another benefit. 

But yeah, even if you have always had been drinking a lot of fluids, switching might quell your desire for liquor if you drink sparkling or flavored water. I've found that the act of drinking water, after proper care and alcohol rehabilitation (including all the steps of going to meetings and therapy for it), replaced the behavioral need for a drink in my hand. 

On a personal note, behaviorally, I hope to start going back to meetings soon. But I'm holding out because of COVID. That's been a real bear, trying to hold onto the support that those social gatherings gave me about curbing the desire to drink. It's time for the non-meetings to end, really. I certainly don't want to go back to drinking. (Which, as of tonight, I doubt. It still makes me physically ill to walk down a liquor aisle.)

hey rock i didnt do meetings but one of my best friends and fishing buddies does them and basically i absorb a little bit of what he gets when we hang out i quit the sauce after my heart attack at the end of february 2020 and i will never go back i can just tell you that i feel so much better when i wake up and when i leave a party early not walking funny basically i have noticed that i really feel like i see life differently living clean and is a good thing for me personally i guess i have just come to accept that 99 percent of the world can drink responsibly but i cant and that means i have to stay off of it so anyhow that is where i am at take that to the bank brohan

so for february this year i am doing a clean february after my back surgery and then covid i have been pretty crappy about eating wrong and not getting my workouts in so starting feb 1 i am going to hit it hard get a workout in every day and eat like my cardiac docs tell me i should and use it to launch back into my old good habits that i have unfortunately dropped since early december when my back exploded so that is my plan please join me if you want take that to the bank bromigos 

so for february this year i am doing a clean february after my back surgery and then covid i have been pretty crappy about eating wrong and not getting my workouts in so starting feb 1 i am going to hit it hard get a workout in every day and eat like my cardiac docs tell me i should and use it to launch back into my old good habits that i have unfortunately dropped since early december when my back exploded so that is my plan please join me if you want take that to the bank bromigos 
In. Part of my problems was drunk eating. Always drunk, always eating. Got me to pre-diabetic situation. I have trimmed out carbs all most totally with the exception of the occasional whole grain bread, oatmeal or lentil pasta or garbanzo pasta (meh). But with a little planning and prep I find myself eating tastier meals in general now. Use Monk fruit as a sugar substitute for oatmeal and yogurt. Tastes dang good to me. Heavy veggies, fruit and lean protein. I buy plain seltzer water and have a variety of the little bottles of flavor enhancer to add to it. 

Plus walking at least an hour briskly a day or raquetball/wallyball. 

But I hadn't gone more than a few days without alcohol for 15 years. Not really jonesing at this point. 

Spending a lot of time with my new self help group but not near as much time as I spent at the bar, take that to the bank bromanji.  

Using barley or farro in soups. I do this deal with equal parts farro and fresh peas with some ginger dressing. I have to be careful with portion control or I could pound that all day long. Lots of herbs. We have a local spice store and so I get the good cumin, garlic powder, tumeric, variety of chili powders and paprikas. Keep the flavor up without a ton of fat or sugar. 

Seems like I have money to burn with the former alcohol budget. I could drop six or seven bills a month at the bar no problem and a hundred or two on the jukebox, fast food and other assorted BS. 

Users who are viewing this thread