What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Men's Watches - $200 and under (1 Viewer)

If you want to go $250 - $2000, don't. Get one of the above-mentioned Seikos or Orients and save the rest, or use it on a vacation or whatever. A watch guy knows what a real watch costs. He's willing to accept that if you feel you need a man's watch, you can plunk down the minimum for a respectable piece of craftsmanship without looking like a rube. But he also knows that beyond that, you shouldn't even think about playing this game unless you can afford to. A nice watch is supposed to be a status symbol, after all. A Tissot, or a Bulova, or any of those Macy's and Zales watches say loud and clear: "I want you to like and respect me, but I'm either poor or cheap." The same guys who will nod at you approvingly if you wear a Seiko Blue Monster will laugh behind your back if you show up in a Tissot. It's a watch that says you are desperate enough to want to be a watch guy that you'll spend money you don't really have in order to pretend, but can't spend enough to suggest style or appreciation of craftsmanship. You're the guy at the gym with the beerbelly who is doing a workout straight out of Muscle & Fitness, instead of deadlifting and doing roadwork like you ought to be.
GTFO :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Seriously, but thanks for mentioning Orient. Never heard of them but they have some nice watches at decent price points.
Sounds like he may be a Seiko salesman. that write-up was like something out of a J Peterman catalog. :lmao:

Hey watch guys,

Posting this in the latest watch thread rather than creating a new topic although it doesn't fit into the "$200 and Under" subtitle.

My most recent watch (Seiko Titanium) is a few years old and getting a little banged up and starting to think of what I'll get next. Thinking of going a little bigger and a little higher end than my latest run of Seikos.

Saw this Tag Heuer Stainless F1 Chronograph "mint condition" on local Craigslist for $600 OBO and like the look of it. Probably still $100-$200 over what I was thinking but can probably get him down a bit if still available since he's posted it a couple times.

Any thoughts on this watch and the price?

TIA!
If you are looking at Seikos, take a look at these

If you want to go $250 - $2000, don't. Get one of the above-mentioned Seikos or Orients and save the rest, or use it on a vacation or whatever. A watch guy knows what a real watch costs. He's willing to accept that if you feel you need a man's watch, you can plunk down the minimum for a respectable piece of craftsmanship without looking like a rube. But he also knows that beyond that, you shouldn't even think about playing this game unless you can afford to. A nice watch is supposed to be a status symbol, after all. A Tissot, or a Bulova, or any of those Macy's and Zales watches say loud and clear: "I want you to like and respect me, but I'm either poor or cheap." The same guys who will nod at you approvingly if you wear a Seiko Blue Monster will laugh behind your back if you show up in a Tissot. It's a watch that says you are desperate enough to want to be a watch guy that you'll spend money you don't really have in order to pretend, but can't spend enough to suggest style or appreciation of craftsmanship. You're the guy at the gym with the beerbelly who is doing a workout straight out of Muscle & Fitness, instead of deadlifting and doing roadwork like you ought to be.

Over that, you almost can't go wrong, as long as you're not paying a premium for jewels or something. Even at the bottom end of the "real watch" continuum, everybody knows you've splurged enough to assure quality. An Omega Seamaster costs half a million less than the watches old-money royals are running around Europe wearing, but it will play just as well at polo with Prince Charles as it will at the bowling alley. But if you aspire to watch-guy level manliness, till you get one of those, stick with the Seiko or the Orient. Everything in between just sticks out like a sore thumb.
:Subscribe:

Hey watch guys,

Posting this in the latest watch thread rather than creating a new topic although it doesn't fit into the "$200 and Under" subtitle.

My most recent watch (Seiko Titanium) is a few years old and getting a little banged up and starting to think of what I'll get next. Thinking of going a little bigger and a little higher end than my latest run of Seikos.

Saw this Tag Heuer Stainless F1 Chronograph "mint condition" on local Craigslist for $600 OBO and like the look of it. Probably still $100-$200 over what I was thinking but can probably get him down a bit if still available since he's posted it a couple times.

TIA!
I wasn't really, been through 3 of them and although I've liked them I'm looking to try something else. No thoughts on the Tag above?

Hey watch guys,

TIA!
I wasn't really, been through 3 of them and although I've liked them I'm looking to try something else. No thoughts on the Tag above?
I like the Tag Aquaracers, that one is a bit too busy for me. Looks like a nice watch though, if you like the style pick it up.

Missed out on the Tag, he sold it the day before.

Now looking around at reps via the repgeek board mentioned.

Has anyone bought a rep in the past and what was your experience?

TIA

I think this is a pretty sharp looking watch, and the price is nice:

My link

I don't know crap about the manufacturer, but ~$70, who cares...that's practically in the disposable category.

The MSRP is a joke, btw...same watch on Amazon is $167.

Newegg actually has about a dozen Precimax watches for <$80 right now.

:confused: i dont know anyone else who does this

but my co-worker always wears two watches. one on each wrist.. :confused:

I've been sitting next to a guy in a business meeting this week who's wearing one of those enormous Invictas. The 50mm diameter is huge but the dimension that really struck me was the height. It's about as tall as a deck of cards. I don't know how you can button your cuffs over it. For all that size, it's not all that legible. There's a lot of stuff on the dial that makes the hour and minute hands get lost at times.

I'm wearing an Omega Speedmaster Automatic which is a pretty classic size of 38mm. If you hollowed out the case of the Invicta, my watch would fit inside of it.

TIA
Update: Just ordered a rep black Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean for $245 shipped.May be a while before it arrives from China though.

Looks like THIS but from a different seller.

TIA
Update: Just ordered a rep black Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean for $245 shipped.May be a while before it arrives from China though.

Went to an overall page link. I'd like to see this watch, can you relink?I'm looking for a two-toned gold watch in this vein. I like the Swiss Army ones also but they are more expensive and not automatic (want to try an automatic). Anyone see something they like in a two-tone gold they can recommend?

Have my heart now set on a Breitling Superocean, most likely in the secondary market. Don't have the disposable cash to make it happen anytime soon but I'm going to monitor trends and get a price range so I know what to get...and when to get it. For now I'll stay under $500.

TIA

Went to an overall page link. I'd like to see this watch, can you relink?I'm looking for a two-toned gold watch in this vein. I like the Swiss Army ones also but they are more expensive and not automatic (want to try an automatic). Anyone see something they like in a two-tone gold they can recommend?

Have my heart now set on a Breitling Superocean, most likely in the secondary market. Don't have the disposable cash to make it happen anytime soon but I'm going to monitor trends and get a price range so I know what to get...and when to get it. For now I'll stay under $500.
If you fancy the older style of SuperOcean, this Accutron or this ESQ are reasonable facsimilies.The new version of the SuperOcean with the smooth bezel insert is a simpler, more classic design. It's not as distinctively a Breitling IMO; maybe that's the reason it's hard to find watches that look close enough like it.

Two-tone gold went out with Gordon Gekko

'Eephus said:
'Doctor Detroit said:

TIA

If you fancy the older style of SuperOcean, this Accutron or this ESQ are reasonable facsimilies.The new version of the SuperOcean with the smooth bezel insert is a simpler, more classic design. It's not as distinctively a Breitling IMO; maybe that's the reason it's hard to find watches that look close enough like it.

Two-tone gold went out with Gordon Gekko
How about this rep? Kind of what I'm looking for in style. Couldn't go Breitling rep, I'll have to wait for the real thing.

'Doctor Detroit said:

TIA

Went to an overall page link. I'd like to see this watch, can you relink?
Here are the actual QC pics of the watch (to review and approve before its sent)...Watch

Back

Side

Clasp

'Doctor Detroit said:

TIA

Here are the actual QC pics of the watch (to review and approve before its sent)...Watch

Back

Side

Clasp
Holy crap that is nice. What seller did you get it from?

Update: Just ordered a rep black Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean for $245 shipped.

May be a while before it arrives from China though.

I saw so much counterfeit stuff in China, you wouldn't believe how much. I mean there were entire multi-floor markets jam-packed with counterfeit knock-offs of anything you could possibly imagine, from clothes to golf equipment to binoculars to jewelry. Bought myself 6 Mont Blanc pens for about $5 each.

'Doctor Detroit said:

TIA

Back

Side

Clasp
Sead1999 (Super Mirrors) Seems like they all mostly have the same watches from the same factories. I ordered after checking with 3 recommended sellers and they all had about the same price. Sead was the most responsive by far and I had a whole ten PM conversation with him over email before the other 2 dealers got around to responding to my 2nd question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Over that, you almost can't go wrong, as long as you're not paying a premium for jewels or something. Even at the bottom end of the "real watch" continuum, everybody knows you've splurged enough to assure quality. An Omega Seamaster costs half a million less than the watches old-money royals are running around Europe wearing, but it will play just as well at polo with Prince Charles as it will at the bowling alley. But if you aspire to watch-guy level manliness, till you get one of those, stick with the Seiko or the Orient. Everything in between just sticks out like a sore thumb.
:Subscribe:
Lesson learned: although I can afford a $1,500 watch, I need to spend 5k so people don't think I'm a poser.

'Doctor Detroit said:

TIA

Back

Side

Clasp
Sead1999 (Super Mirrors) Seems like they all mostly have the same watches from the same factories. I ordered after checking with 3 recommended sellers and they all had about the same price. Sead was the most responsive by far and I had a whole ten PM conversation with him over email before the other 2 dealers got around to responding to my 2nd question.
Huge shell game when ordering these gens. I tried this one out as my first rep and am interested to see the fit and finish and the function. The auto movement worries me on these watches but I'm guessing the look and feel will be good to great. Seems like Sead and Josh are the two most respected sources from what I have read around the internet. I got mine from Josh, I'll check back in when I get mine to report what I actually got. I don't really condone black market stuff but I wanted to taste this segment to see what kind of product they offer. The watch goes for $6k normally, pretty sure anyone who knows watches will know mine is a rep.

No Breitlings for me though, gonna wait on the real thing there...someday...someday.

Thanks for the info, fill us in on how your watch worked out. :thumbup:

This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but with automatics do I have to have a watch winder if I don't wear it every day? Is that a good investment regardless? I plan to buy a few automatics in the next few years but my first is on it's way and I want to have the crib prepared.

TIA.

This is gonna sound like a dumb question, but with automatics do I have to have a watch winder if I don't wear it every day? Is that a good investment regardless? I plan to buy a few automatics in the next few years but my first is on it's way and I want to have the crib prepared. TIA.
No reason to unless you have some $$$ perpetual calendar or moonphase movement. Just set it when you're going to wear it and give it a few shakes to get the spring wound a little. It's better to set the time forward i.e. clockwise and if it has a quick set date, change the date with the hour hand somewhere between 5 and 7.

Been rocking this watch since you 1st linked to it. Love it.http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Stainless-241173/dp/B000RLH2CG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I5EAKU4I433HO&colid=17KFKUQCZAY6U
:goodposting: This is my favorite watch for sure. Sapphire crystal, great lume and just the right weight. They have all different colors in this model (red, orange, gunmetal, brown, black) and they all look awesome. z>the blue really jumps and it looks great if you wear blue, red or any other brighter colors. But this is a diving watch, they just look great in this color (thanks to Rolex).

TIA

Back

Side

Clasp
Huge shell game when ordering these gens. I tried this one out as my first rep and am interested to see the fit and finish and the function. The auto movement worries me on these watches but I'm guessing the look and feel will be good to great. Seems like Sead and Josh are the two most respected sources from what I have read around the internet. I got mine from Josh, I'll check back in when I get mine to report what I actually got. I don't really condone black market stuff but I wanted to taste this segment to see what kind of product they offer. The watch goes for $6k normally, pretty sure anyone who knows watches will know mine is a rep.

No Breitlings for me though, gonna wait on the real thing there...someday...someday.

Thanks for the info, fill us in on how your watch worked out. :thumbup:
It's here, new on the left and Seiko its replaceing on the right, both on my 7" wrist.I like it alot. Actually came about a week ago but have been travelling for work. It's much thicker, heavier than my lightweight Seiko titanium but in a good way, getting used to my "big boy" watch. It's a black face but tints blue depending on the way the light hits it as seen in the pic. I think its because of the "AR" or something? Anyway, I knew that going in and was deciding between a blue or black anyway so I'm ok with the color change but I believe its a "tell" that its not gen that some people replace the crystal to fix. Construction, weight, timekeeping, lume all good. Happy with purchase.

TIA

Back

Side

Clasp
Link to the site? The link above brings a blank page.

'matuski said:

TIA

Back

Side

Clasp
He doesn't have a website for watches, sign up at repgeek.com and check his board (Super Mirrors) and PM him there.

TIA

Back

Side

Clasp
He doesn't have a website for watches, sign up at repgeek.com and check his board (Super Mirrors) and PM him there.
repgeek is dead btw, but i tracked down mirrors on another site, thanks.

TIA

Back

Side

Clasp
Received my $245 Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean yesterday (from mirrors), took it to a high end jeweler/watchsmith this morning for fitting.I told him up front it was fake, he asked where I got it. I told him ebay. He told me it was real. He even opened the watch and showed me side by side with the exact watch that he sells... he insists it is real. Incredible replica. :lmao:

Thanks for the referral to mirrors.. very responsive and fast. :thumbup: :thumbup:

TIA

Back

Side

Clasp
Received my $245 Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean yesterday (from mirrors), took it to a high end jeweler/watchsmith this morning for fitting.I told him up front it was fake, he asked where I got it. I told him ebay. He told me it was real. He even opened the watch and showed me side by side with the exact watch that he sells... he insists it is real. Incredible replica. :lmao:

Thanks for the referral to mirrors.. very responsive and fast. :thumbup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: I bought a watch sizing kit off of Amazon for around $5.

Kit cost is less than having the jeweler do it once and its pretty easy to do.

Tissot with a sapphire crystal and automatic movement under $400...
Damn, that's a nice looking watch.
Tissot make really good watches at a great price especially for their automatics. Since they are owned by the Swatch group they get their movements from ETA which really sets the standard for mechanical watches. I have a Visodate I like it as it is a nice dress watch. They are a nice entry point if you want to get into mechanical watches. http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-Visodate-Date-Automatic-Watch/dp/B0041Q44T2

I've been sitting next to a guy in a business meeting this week who's wearing one of those enormous Invictas. The 50mm diameter is huge but the dimension that really struck me was the height. It's about as tall as a deck of cards. I don't know how you can button your cuffs over it. For all that size, it's not all that legible. There's a lot of stuff on the dial that makes the hour and minute hands get lost at times.

I'm wearing an Omega Speedmaster Automatic which is a pretty classic size of 38mm. If you hollowed out the case of the Invicta, my watch would fit inside of it.
That is a nice watch. At that price point think Omega's make the nicest watches. Invicta's are an abomination.

TIA

Back

Side

Clasp

That jeweler must specialize in Casios. The stem and bezel material on the gens are a giveaway, the one I got looks and feels terrific but the stem is easily identifiable as a fake. Planet Ocean is a newer line, maybe they aren't versed in the line. I think with most gens the average person would never know the difference but if a "high end watchsmith" doesn't know, they can't be very good at their job. These guys can immediately identify the specific automatic movements, the casings, the moldings and the components. A lot of these guys buy watches from customers, shows and auctions and they really have to know the difference...and certainly do IMO. Not that any of that matters, if you like the gen then I think it's a great thing. I got the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, very nice and it looks and feels real. It has a fairly meh band though and the movement is Japanese, not Swiss. Now with some of these in the $350 range they claim to replicate the movements as well, but I really find if hard to believe they can replicate the materials. The look, the design the general function yes. Who knows, I guess the only way to tell is compare it to the real thing side by side. I'm sure people do it all the time.

Maybe I'm wrong, not sure. Seems like there is an interesting underground knowledge base that seems to think they know the difference, or that there is no difference. I know I still prefer my Swiss Army diver over the gen or anything else I have.

For Father's Day my wife got me this Citizen Eco Drive watch. While I don't mind the general styling of it, I'm not used to a watch this thin/light and the shaping of it makes my wrist/hand look small...and I don't have big hands to begin with. She has said that she wouldn't be offended if I wanted to get something different, and for a while I've been looking at this Orient Mako.

Questions: Is the build/quality of one much superior to the other? Is one a better value for the dollar (I think she got the Citizen for around $170 or so)? I know some people in here recommended changing out the links yourself to get the sizing right...can any of those folks recommend a toolkit on Amazon for doing that? Or am I better off just going to a jeweler for it?

ETA: My last two watches have been Fossil watches for under $60 each, so I'm sure either way I should be getting a nicer timepiece now. I'm not really looking to spend any more than those ones I mentioned.

For Father's Day my wife got me this Citizen Eco Drive watch. While I don't mind the general styling of it, I'm not used to a watch this thin/light and the shaping of it makes my wrist/hand look small...and I don't have big hands to begin with. She has said that she wouldn't be offended if I wanted to get something different, and for a while I've been looking at this Orient Mako.

Questions: Is the build/quality of one much superior to the other? Is one a better value for the dollar (I think she got the Citizen for around $170 or so)? I know some people in here recommended changing out the links yourself to get the sizing right...can any of those folks recommend a toolkit on Amazon for doing that? Or am I better off just going to a jeweler for it?

ETA: My last two watches have been Fossil watches for under $60 each, so I'm sure either way I should be getting a nicer timepiece now. I'm not really looking to spend any more than those ones I mentioned.
citizen eco-drive watches are rock solid, i think. i have had mine for about 10 years and it runs great. i've never had a problem with it keeping time. to your dilemma, i think the difference for you is styling. the orient - which has a good budget rep - looks quite different than the citizen. for me, i am unwilling to purchase any quartz watch. i'd rather have a mechanical/automatic but that's personal preference. finding a quality auto for less than $200 is hard and that's why i opted for the eco at the time.

citizen eco-drive watches are rock solid, i think. i have had mine for about 10 years and it runs great. i've never had a problem with it keeping time. to your dilemma, i think the difference for you is styling. the orient - which has a good budget rep - looks quite different than the citizen. for me, i am unwilling to purchase any quartz watch. i'd rather have a mechanical/automatic but that's personal preference. finding a quality auto for less than $200 is hard and that's why i opted for the eco at the time.
You are totally correct in that styling is the issue. My current watch is a square/rectangular face like the Citizen, but where the Citizen face tapers to the band, my current one has a band that "steps in" from the face. This makes the face look bigger and therefore doesn't have the same effect of making my hand look smaller. I need to figure out if I can get used to that (and if it is just my perception).The Mako I showed (I believe) is an automatic and not a quartz. I have already ordered it from Amazon to see how it looks on my wrist versus the Citizen (gotta love Amazon Prime with free returns).

You are totally correct in that styling is the issue. My current watch is a square/rectangular face like the Citizen, but where the Citizen face tapers to the band, my current one has a band that "steps in" from the face. This makes the face look bigger and therefore doesn't have the same effect of making my hand look smaller. I need to figure out if I can get used to that (and if it is just my perception).

The Mako I showed (I believe) is an automatic and not a quartz. I have already ordered it from Amazon to see how it looks on my wrist versus the Citizen (gotta love Amazon Prime with free returns).
this was posted on Dappered recently and i'm really digging it. terrific build, simple and straightforward functionality at a bargain price.

You are totally correct in that styling is the issue. My current watch is a square/rectangular face like the Citizen, but where the Citizen face tapers to the band, my current one has a band that "steps in" from the face. This makes the face look bigger and therefore doesn't have the same effect of making my hand look smaller. I need to figure out if I can get used to that (and if it is just my perception).

The Mako I showed (I believe) is an automatic and not a quartz. I have already ordered it from Amazon to see how it looks on my wrist versus the Citizen (gotta love Amazon Prime with free returns).
this was posted on Dappered recently and i'm really digging it. terrific build, simple and straightforward functionality at a bargain price.
Orient makes an excellent watch for the money. Their higher end Orient Star line isn't widely distributed in the US but they're comparable with Swiss brands in their price range.

Orient makes an excellent watch for the money. Their higher end Orient Star line isn't widely distributed in the US but they're comparable with Swiss brands in their price range.
i would agree with both those points. when i bought my eco-drive 10+ years ago, i wasn't aware of orient but the information for buyers now is pretty much completely different. #webtwopointoh

I got the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, very nice and it looks and feels real. It has a fairly meh band though and the movement is Japanese, not Swiss. Now with some of these in the $350 range they claim to replicate the movements as well, but I really find if hard to believe they can replicate the materials. The look, the design the general function yes. Who knows, I guess the only way to tell is compare it to the real thing side by side. I'm sure people do it all the time.

Maybe I'm wrong, not sure. Seems like there is an interesting underground knowledge base that seems to think they know the difference, or that there is no difference. I know I still prefer my Swiss Army diver over the gen or anything else I have.
The stem on this thing broke already. Sent it back to China to Josh, we'll see what happens next. I'm thinking my next big purchase will be something like thisTag Heuer

In the meanwhile I'm getting a Victorino Classic Field watch for yard work, gym and the like. Still prefer Swiss Army over any others.

I got the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, very nice and it looks and feels real. It has a fairly meh band though and the movement is Japanese, not Swiss. Now with some of these in the $350 range they claim to replicate the movements as well, but I really find if hard to believe they can replicate the materials. The look, the design the general function yes. Who knows, I guess the only way to tell is compare it to the real thing side by side. I'm sure people do it all the time.

The stem on this thing broke already. Sent it back to China to Josh, we'll see what happens next. I'm thinking my next big purchase will be something like thisTag Heuer

In the meanwhile I'm getting a Victorino Classic Field watch for yard work, gym and the like. Still prefer Swiss Army over any others.
To me, Tags are so blah. You see them all over the place, not really unique. it's a brand/style that everyone will recognize, but has no uniqueness. If your boss sucks, he probably wears a Tag.

Received my $245 Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean yesterday (from mirrors), took it to a high end jeweler/watchsmith this morning for fitting.

I told him up front it was fake, he asked where I got it. I told him ebay. He told me it was real. He even opened the watch and showed me side by side with the exact watch that he sells... he insists it is real. Incredible replica. :lmao:

That jeweler must specialize in Casios. The stem and bezel material on the gens are a giveaway, the one I got looks and feels terrific but the stem is easily identifiable as a fake. Planet Ocean is a newer line, maybe they aren't versed in the line. I think with most gens the average person would never know the difference but if a "high end watchsmith" doesn't know, they can't be very good at their job. These guys can immediately identify the specific automatic movements, the casings, the moldings and the components. A lot of these guys buy watches from customers, shows and auctions and they really have to know the difference...and certainly do IMO. Not that any of that matters, if you like the gen then I think it's a great thing. I got the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra, very nice and it looks and feels real. It has a fairly meh band though and the movement is Japanese, not Swiss. Now with some of these in the $350 range they claim to replicate the movements as well, but I really find if hard to believe they can replicate the materials. The look, the design the general function yes. Who knows, I guess the only way to tell is compare it to the real thing side by side. I'm sure people do it all the time.

Friend of mine that recently bought a real Omega Planet Ocean was pissed and called bull####. :bs: Took it to another Omega dealer (first one was as well). With friend and I both telling the guy it was fake, he also opened the watch, inspected real and fake side by side and concluded mine was real. :shrug:

Watch fools people all the time.. I never try to pass it off as real - but it makes for a good story - which is priceless in my business. :thumbup:

To me, Tags are so blah. You see them all over the place, not really unique. it's a brand/style that everyone will recognize, but has no uniqueness. If your boss sucks, he probably wears a Tag.
My boss kind of sucks but he wears a Casio. :shrug: What about this one instead?

I haven't read this entire thread, so sorry if it's already been talked about, but has anyone bought a highly discounted watch from 1saleaday? What's the quality of the watches that they sell?

I too have a Seiko Titanium. My wife gave it to me on our wedding day. It stopped working a few months back, after 8+ years of service. I thought it was a battery issue, but when a new battery was put in by a Macy's watch repair specialist, nothing happened. I was quoted a minimum of $250 for diagnosis and possible repair. I have a problem paying more for the repair than what the cost of the watch was when purchased. But it has sentimental value, and I'd like to pass it on to my son. Decisions, decisions. Is $250 too high?

Users who are viewing this thread