What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFFL: FINANCIAL ISSUES AND CONCERNS (4 Viewers)

Any updates... in AFFL started a new season... has anyone taken a class-action against these people? I hope we're not going just let them walk / run away w/ your money.

Any updates... in AFFL started a new season... has anyone taken a class-action against these people? I hope we're not going just let them walk / run away w/ your money.
I find it amazing that he is starting to take entries for 2008 when he hasn't paid the 2007 winners. I didn't play in the AFFL. I considered it but I had too many teams and decided against it. I am so glad I didn't. But it is incredible that he is taking new entries and mentioning nothing about the fact that he hasn't paid last years winners.

it would seem a new subheader would be in order :(

sorry to those who lost out. Dunno if it matters to the legal guys but the last page for the site on the internet archive is from August '07

Of course it could just be message board maintenance. :goodposting:

-QG

I finally decided to join this forum after keeping up with it for a few months and no that im a lil fish in a small pond here cause im owed very lil money but as i was reading through the forum i did not see any way of contacting anyone about the issue of being owed money, did i overlook this and if not can someone give me some info.thanks guys i hope this issue gets settled soon

Seems like the AFFL.com web site is offline.

Must be some more maintenance in preparation for the big announcement about the new ownership and that all prize winners will be recieving payment within 5 business days.

[/sarcasm]

The phone number still works, 866-WIN-AFFL, however, it states their office hours are 9am - 10pm eastern. I called at 10 til 6 eastern and oddly enough no one was there to take my call.

Their online store is down, too. :doh:

I was actually thinking of buying a hat for fun. Plus, I'd like to see if he shipped it or just kept my money.

I clicked on the "Sign Up" logo.. its down.
I got 4th place overall in the Platinum league, and am owed $5,600. I received a voice mail from Neil last Wednesday, after many unanswered emails. It wasn't until I let him know I was going to take legal action that he responded to me. In his voicemail he said a proscpected buyer was going to be calling all prize winners and discussing payouts with all winners. He said I should receive a call no later than yesterday, May 16th. To all of your surprise I'm sure, the phone never rang. Anyone else get feed this line of B.S. too?

I got 4th place overall in the Platinum league, and am owed $5,600. I received a voice mail from Neil last Wednesday, after many unanswered emails. It wasn't until I let him know I was going to take legal action that he responded to me. In his voicemail he said a proscpected buyer was going to be calling all prize winners and discussing payouts with all winners. He said I should receive a call no later than yesterday, May 16th. To all of your surprise I'm sure, the phone never rang. Anyone else get feed this line of B.S. too?
Actually I just got a call from one of the partners interested in purchasing AFFL. If the deal goes through, he plans to pay up all monies owed to last years winners. I won money but not thousands like some people but am still encouraged about our conversation (about 20 min.) and he seems ligit. As a past AFFL subscriber however, I'm not sure how good I am at identifying anything legitimate anymore. :thumbdown:

BenchMark said:
Actually I just got a call from one of the partners interested in purchasing AFFL. If the deal goes through, he plans to pay up all monies owed to last years winners. I won money but not thousands like some people but am still encouraged about our conversation (about 20 min.) and he seems ligit. As a past AFFL subscriber however, I'm not sure how good I am at identifying anything legitimate anymore. :lmao:
You should do a reverse phone look-up to make sure it's not Neil up to his old tricks again over the phone.

BenchMark said:
Actually I just got a call from one of the partners interested in purchasing AFFL. If the deal goes through, he plans to pay up all monies owed to last years winners. I won money but not thousands like some people but am still encouraged about our conversation (about 20 min.) and he seems ligit. As a past AFFL subscriber however, I'm not sure how good I am at identifying anything legitimate anymore. :confused:
That sounds pretty encouraging to me.I don't see where there would be any benefit for someone to waste time making 20 minute phone calls... it's not like that's going to have any impact on making the situation somehow better for Neil.My fingers are crossed for all you guys who are owed money.

BenchMark said:
Actually I just got a call from one of the partners interested in purchasing AFFL. If the deal goes through, he plans to pay up all monies owed to last years winners. I won money but not thousands like some people but am still encouraged about our conversation (about 20 min.) and he seems ligit. As a past AFFL subscriber however, I'm not sure how good I am at identifying anything legitimate anymore. :banned:
That sounds pretty encouraging to me.I don't see where there would be any benefit for someone to waste time making 20 minute phone calls... it's not like that's going to have any impact on making the situation somehow better for Neil.My fingers are crossed for all you guys who are owed money.
I also talked to this "so called" buyer/potential new owner. The only reason they are calling any of the winners is to try and get us to give up a portion of our winnings to buy a team for next season. These potential buyers say they have $1 Million to invest, however they say they need $2 million to successfully re-start the AFFL. By using our winnings (If you can call it that) it will lower the cost of buying the AFFL due to a lower pay out amount.These guys are comletely out of their minds if they think I'm going to give more money to a company which has already has done me and many others an injustice. Not only have they done all of us who won an injustice, but the AFFL has done the entire on-line high stakes fantasy football community an injustice. A lot of people will be forever skepitcal, especially those of us affected. All I have to say is what a joke!!The AFFL will never re-surface in my opinion. There are too many credible fantasy leagues out there for us players to choose from. Why would anyone join the AFFL after hearing whats has happend? And why would I go back to a place that has ripped me off? I won't and I don't think anyone else will either.

What are your other options? If there is a chance I can get part of my money then I will probably jump on it. How much did they ask you to reinvest?

What is the phone number that has called you? I keep getting a 773 number calling me and was wondering if that was them.

YNOT 15 said:
Boot said:
BenchMark said:
Actually I just got a call from one of the partners interested in purchasing AFFL. If the deal goes through, he plans to pay up all monies owed to last years winners. I won money but not thousands like some people but am still encouraged about our conversation (about 20 min.) and he seems ligit. As a past AFFL subscriber however, I'm not sure how good I am at identifying anything legitimate anymore. :eek:
I also talked to this "so called" buyer/potential new owner. The only reason they are calling any of the winners is to try and get us to give up a portion of our winnings to buy a team for next season. These potential buyers say they have $1 Million to invest, however they say they need $2 million to successfully re-start the AFFL. By using our winnings (If you can call it that) it will lower the cost of buying the AFFL due to a lower pay out amount.These guys are comletely out of their minds if they think I'm going to give more money to a company which has already has done me and many others an injustice. Not only have they done all of us who won an injustice, but the AFFL has done the entire on-line high stakes fantasy football community an injustice. A lot of people will be forever skepitcal, especially those of us affected. All I have to say is what a joke!!The AFFL will never re-surface in my opinion. There are too many credible fantasy leagues out there for us players to choose from. Why would anyone join the AFFL after hearing whats has happend? And why would I go back to a place that has ripped me off? I won't and I don't think anyone else will either.
What else can anyone say? I mean what has anyone received up til now? NOTHING!!! You are probably right, the AFFL is finished for good but I've seen crazier things happen. You just never know but I know this, especially if I were owed thousands like a few people are, I'd say whatever I could positive about the new potential investors. Any chance of me getting my winnings depends on their success. I've spoken to an attorney and was told my case isn't worth pursuing and I suspect most others have been told the same. I'm not holding my breath, but as long as there is just a faintest glimmer of hope I'm not going to say anything that may be considerd counter productive about the new venture.

This is clear to me, they want you to sign off on getting your money. You would then get a team for free in the League.

WAKE UP. This means no one gets paid. So what happens to the guy that won 100,000.00, He's plays free for life in affl. Yep that works for me. Were do I sign off.

This is clear to me, they want you to sign off on getting your money. You would then get a team for free in the League.WAKE UP. This means no one gets paid. So what happens to the guy that won 100,000.00, He's plays free for life in affl. Yep that works for me. Were do I sign off.
Oh come on....................be real. Sure they would like as many people they can find willing to roll over some of their winnings to purchase other 08 teams. To infer that the debt is free and clear if a guy owed 100 thousand gets a lifetime free ride is just ridiculous. I would say the new investors are already showing signs that they can be a lot smarter about running a business than Neal was. I think its a good idea to at least try to get as many people they can to roll over some money. Obviously it lessens the burden for the investors to come up with their own "start up" capitol even if it's a trivial amount compared to what is actually owed last years winners. Every little bit would help. Keeping in mind also, the money that you might reinvest in a new team isn't even yours!! You have NOTHING now so what MORE would you have to loose ?

This is clear to me, they want you to sign off on getting your money. You would then get a team for free in the League.WAKE UP. This means no one gets paid. So what happens to the guy that won 100,000.00, He's plays free for life in affl. Yep that works for me. Were do I sign off.
Oh come on....................be real. Sure they would like as many people they can find willing to roll over some of their winnings to purchase other 08 teams. To infer that the debt is free and clear if a guy owed 100 thousand gets a lifetime free ride is just ridiculous. I would say the new investors are already showing signs that they can be a lot smarter about running a business than Neal was. I think its a good idea to at least try to get as many people they can to roll over some money. Obviously it lessens the burden for the investors to come up with their own "start up" capitol even if it's a trivial amount compared to what is actually owed last years winners. Every little bit would help. Keeping in mind also, the money that you might reinvest in a new team isn't even yours!! You have NOTHING now so what MORE would you have to loose ?
Exactly. Everyone that receives a call, should take any deal proposed that ends with cash back in hand. I have $3,300 coming to me. If the new owners come in and say "Scott, take $2,000 and we'll let you play for free this year," I'll say, "Where do I sign?"

I wasn't in the AFFL and haven't lost any money, one, because Team Legacy recommended it to me and two you can never trust him either, lol. To point of the matter, what Legacy says makes a lot of sense to me. If there offering you some of your winnings, that's better than nothing and nothing is what you will get if there is no buy out. Take whatever you can get, play out your free year, and bolt.

If I was an investor, why would I want to buy out a company that has destroyed it's marketability????????????????????????????? That's the concern I have. This league is done, and it would take a whole lot of PR kiss ### to ever build it back up again. I just don't understand why someone would want to buy this out, just go form your own league somewhere else and never have to deal with it. Sounds stupid to me. Buyer beware but I would try for a year if it meant getting some money back but I just can't find the reasoning. WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talked to the investor yesterday. Seems promising, but I'm not getting my hopes up and I told him I would play next season if it meant I got part of the money I was owed. I played Gold last year and he asked if I would take a Gold team for next year to help get the deal done. At this point I don't care if I can get some of my money. I did have fun playing this year, but would not have any expectations for my team this coming season.

I wish you guys the best, Legacy and Lou and all the others. I don't understand how they could work it out and survive, but this is America, so who knows.

Tried to sign up for AFFL for 2008 but their "store" doesn't seem to be working? Oh well, I guess I'll have to take my business to the competition.

It is almost June. Many guys gave Neil many months to get this right, and he has not.

We also have seen him respond to peopleon several occasions only when the threat of a lawsuit is raised. I think the time has come for Neil to face the legal ramifications for what he has done. There is no way the AFFL will ever exist again, and this latest "investor" idea will never work.

I noticed today that the AFFL Web site still exists, but it won't let me sign for a 2008 league.

I guess I should consider that a good thing.

Tried to sign up for AFFL for 2008 but their "store" doesn't seem to be working? Oh well, I guess I'll have to take my business to the competition.
Why in the hell would you want to sign up for AFFL leagues. Can you explain this to me, please? In case you did get yet that you need to take your business elsewhere, well you need to wake up, buddy.AFFL is dead along with the money they owe....

I am owed thousands and have come to terms with the fact that Neil and the rest of the ####### at the AFFL are never going to pay their debt. They have been scrambling long before any of us new there was an issue, and of course we were not made aware until the prize money never showed up. Probably coming up on a year now and no fix yet. As Neil said in Febuary, "should be no later then the end of Febuary." What a line of B.S.! Along with everything else he lies about. The website is up but most of the links are down. You cannot sign up for next season or go the message board. They should just disable the website completely. If they have no money as they say how do they pay for the website?

I also asked neil in email if he could at least give me my $1,200 buy-in back and I would be happy, however he stated he had no money left. Not even a penny? Where did the hundred of thousands of buy-in dollars go? Strip clubs, bad investements, prositutes, nights on the town, who knows? In any case all the money we gave this idiot was spent and to never be seen again. As I told Neil, I hope he is not a believer in Karma. What I'm owed is pennies compared to some of you, however to me it's not the money anymore as it is the principle. How can a guy get away with this? He owes us collectively $518,000 and has not paid a dime. What a great scam! Maybe some of us should set up a fantasy league collect a half million and say sorry I lost the money.

Neil, if you are reading this I hope you are losing sleep at night and never are able to run any kind of business ever again. You are a disgrace to the fantasy football community as many of us will forever have doubts about playing high stakes FF ever again! I'm sure there are plenty of jobs at places like McDonald's and Burger King where they don't run background checks in Michigan. Let's see at minimum wage it will only take you about 179 years to pay off the $518,00 that you owe us. I'll be expecting my check in the mail soon! :confused:

I am owed thousands and have come to terms with the fact that Neil and the rest of the ####### at the AFFL are never going to pay their debt. They have been scrambling long before any of us new there was an issue, and of course we were not made aware until the prize money never showed up. Probably coming up on a year now and no fix yet. As Neil said in Febuary, "should be no later then the end of Febuary." What a line of B.S.! Along with everything else he lies about. The website is up but most of the links are down. You cannot sign up for next season or go the message board. They should just disable the website completely. If they have no money as they say how do they pay for the website? I also asked neil in email if he could at least give me my $1,200 buy-in back and I would be happy, however he stated he had no money left. Not even a penny? Where did the hundred of thousands of buy-in dollars go? Strip clubs, bad investements, prositutes, nights on the town, who knows? In any case all the money we gave this idiot was spent and to never be seen again. As I told Neil, I hope he is not a believer in Karma. What I'm owed is pennies compared to some of you, however to me it's not the money anymore as it is the principle. How can a guy get away with this? He owes us collectively $518,000 and has not paid a dime. What a great scam! Maybe some of us should set up a fantasy league collect a half million and say sorry I lost the money. Neil, if you are reading this I hope you are losing sleep at night and never are able to run any kind of business ever again. You are a disgrace to the fantasy football community as many of us will forever have doubts about playing high stakes FF ever again! I'm sure there are plenty of jobs at places like McDonald's and Burger King where they don't run background checks in Michigan. Let's see at minimum wage it will only take you about 179 years to pay off the $518,00 that you owe us. I'll be expecting my check in the mail soon! :excited:
How have you not contacted law enforcement or AG's office? You are the victim of a fraud and theft - I would have been pushing for his arrest for months.

I'd like to see a FF writer who'd evaluate all the info on this thread, interview the victims, dig around a bit, find out what happened leading up to this and put it all together in a tell-all piece for the FF world to know what really happened - or at least make some educated guesses.

Maybe one of the FBG staffers can pull this off. Would be "article of the year" without a doubt.

I'd like to see a FF writer who'd evaluate all the info on this thread, interview the victims, dig around a bit, find out what happened leading up to this and put it all together in a tell-all piece for the FF world to know what really happened - or at least make some educated guesses.

Maybe one of the FBG staffers can pull this off. Would be "article of the year" without a doubt.
You might find this interesting if you haven't seen it already.http://www.fantasyfanatics.com/index.php?f...mp;article=1424

You might find this interesting if you haven't seen it already.http://www.fantasyfanatics.com/index.php?f...mp;article=1424
Yeah, I saw that. It's a PUFF piece. There's so much more to this story, it's scary - and sad. Here's a hint to anyone who wants to know the REAL story: contact all the prize winners from the previous year (2006) and ask them a simple quiestion: When did you get your 2006 prize money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. Everyone that receives a call, should take any deal proposed that ends with cash back in hand. I have $3,300 coming to me. If the new owners come in and say "Scott, take $2,000 and we'll let you play for free this year," I'll say, "Where do I sign?"
I too understand the notion of at least collecting something, thereby looking out for One's self. Does this not just extend the pyramid scheme that Neil started?If 10,000 people are given teams without adding a penny to the prize pool won't there be a chance that the prize money wont be there at the seasons end? Moreover, lets say I said to you, gimmie $100 to join my 12 team league. I have 4 teams I have to give a freeroll to because I couldn't pay them their 07 winnings. Fear not though if you win, your prize money will be there.Wha?

Just curious...how long the big money winners are going to wait? At the very LEAST, I would have already contacted my attorney and discussed my options.
3 months have gone by since my original post...again, how much longer are u guys going to wait? the owner is HOPING people will continue to wait? the passage of time tends to cause people to just say the hell with it. less and less people care about this as time goes on. the time to strike, was a couple months ago. in instances like this, YOU need to be decisive FROM the start. good luck to those that think they are still going to collect.

We have received a verbal offer for the complete sale of AFFL and its software, and will have the written letter of intent Thursday morning. There are some contingencies of the LOI that still have to be met, one of which is a third party software valuation.

At this early point in the deal, I do not have an exact date of when the prize checks will be mailed, but only that the deal guarantees that every prize will be paid.

As soon as the stipulations of the deal have been met, I am sure that the new owners will make a public statement. I am confident that they have the expertise to carry AFFL into the future, and to provide an exceptional level of service. Going forward, it has been expressed that their intention is to escrow all prize money to avoid any prize situations in the future.

I appreciate everyone's patience during this time.

As soon as I have additional information regarding the date the deal will be complete and the exact payout dates, I will update everyone again.
Almost 3 months later and this guy is now not responding to e-mails, having fake investors calling for money, and has probably left town. This is my favorite on the home page......

American Fantasy Football League

High-Stakes Fantasy Football

Click here to view the Live AFFL Draft Demo.

NEW Game Structures for 2008

Sign-up will open soon

*Sign-up by June 1st to pay 2007 prize winners

OK, it doesn't say that, but this guy needs to go to jail!

I absolutely agree with gordon gekko and Billy Waz in their assessments that this CRIME should not go unpunished. Thanks for bringing this up again, because as a player, it makes me furious to know that honest, hardworking people have been stolen from by Neil and the AFFL. Below is my post from last month. The information is right there for anyone to use. PLEASE DO.

--------------------------------

From May 8th:

By the way, is it common knowledge to everyone that Neil paid his 2006 winners with the 2007 entry fees? Because it seems pretty obvious to me that he did.

That would explain why his software supposedly cost so much money. That would explain why AFFL was not in the fantasy magazines advertising: he did not have the money to meet their early deadlines yet; he was still trying to pay his 2006 customers. Those deadlines are in April and May, and he likely did not have the cash flow since he still owed 2006 players money AND he had not yet starting stealing from his 2007 customers.

That would explain why he had no money and is almost the only possible way that someone could have a cash flow issue as bad as this one. Even if he took in $350,000 in entry fees and owes for $475,000 and one adds another $50,000 for administration, that still leaves $675,000 to allocate to software expense. OR, maybe he used $300,000 in 2007 entry fees to pay 2006 winners, was already $100,000 in the hole and then had already spent $100,000-$200,000 (the likely true cost and value) on the software in the hopes of selling it.

That makes the most sense and would explain why he did not cancel the 2007 event: the money was gone BEFORE the contest even started, paid to 2006 winners as well as the software people, and he was probably well in arrears with them prior to kickoff of 2007.

Someone should call the Michigan state attorney generals office on Monday. His name is Mike Cox: http://www.michigan.gov/ag

Consumer Protection Division

P.O. Box 30213

Lansing, MI 48909

(517) 373-1140

Toll Free (877) 765-8388

Facsimile (517) 241-3771

Closest Local Office to AFFL HQ in Troy, MI:

Detroit Office

Cadillac Place, 10th Floor

3030 W. Grand Blvd., Suite 10-200

Detroit, MI 48202

(313) 456-0240

Facsimile (313) 456-0061

Or VIA E-mail:

miag@michigan.gov

Dave

Leroy's Aces

I am owed over $1000. Anyone know where Niel lives? I would be willing to take some vacation time and pay him a visit...maybe this way I could get some answers!!! Answer the phone or respond to an email!!

Hey Niel you piece of ##### where is my money!!

George

I talked to the investor yesterday. Seems promising, but I'm not getting my hopes up and I told him I would play next season if it meant I got part of the money I was owed. I played Gold last year and he asked if I would take a Gold team for next year to help get the deal done. At this point I don't care if I can get some of my money. I did have fun playing this year, but would not have any expectations for my team this coming season.
I hear u guys.. If I was ownd $5000 and an investor called and said they wanted to settle for $3,500 and a free membership for next season... I naturally would tell them to F-Off and tell them that I'm own $5000; plus interest.But If u guys are being contacted by real investors... that sounds like to me that there are people who want to make it right; sorry to say that it sounds like everyone will need to play ball and take what they can get... that suxs buts atleast u guys have some hope.Heres a question u should ask... if over half or whatever amount of people in AFFL are playing for Free next year, where is next years payouts going to come from? Good luck

I'm owed $4200. I just called the Michigan AG office and they show no prior complaints listed under the name of AFFL or Neil Wickham. I am filling out a complaint form right now. I encourage all others to do the same......if not more.

If someone knows a different approach as well, I'm listening. I've been patient and busy up until now, but time is up and patience is gone.

Fish

1. Contact AG (you've already done this)

2. Contact your personal attorney (or a reputable one in the phone book). Most will see you for a free consultation. I'm not 100% sure of the requirements of a class action lawsuit, but that may be applicable here.

3. I'd file ALL THE COMPLAINTS I COULD WITH AS MANY DIFFERENT AGENCIES I COULD FIND. You never know what will stick. Maybe start with this one...Contact the Federal Trade Commission - The Federal Trade Commission is the nation's consumer protection agency. The FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection works For The Consumer to prevent fraud, deception, and unfair business practices in the marketplace.

4. Contact national media outlets. Longshot, but you never know if it will be successful until you try.

Time to turn on the oven.

I agree it is time to file at least a complaint with the Michigan AG. I plan to file one this week. The Michigan AG Toll-Free number is 1-877-765-8388.

I am glad some of you are starting to do this. Please keep other updated, and let's hope that AFFL players can get some sort of resolution or at least get Neil his due.

Remember, by him holding a mid-season contest and collecting money, he committed a criminal act and that will be so easy to prove, that any attorney general will take that and hang his re-election campaign all over it. I would start watching Shawshank Redemption if I were Neil and taking notes.

I am glad some of you are starting to do this. Please keep other updated, and let's hope that AFFL players can get some sort of resolution or at least get Neil his due.Remember, by him holding a mid-season contest and collecting money, he committed a criminal act and that will be so easy to prove, that any attorney general will take that and hang his re-election campaign all over it. I would start watching Shawshank Redemption if I were Neil and taking notes.
And that is the most dispectable part of his actions... he knew he was going under and he still collected / continued to steal thousands of dollars. And then the guy had the nerve to come on here and defend it.BTW... Niel, where have u been.. its been months since u come in here with some more lousy excuses / false promises.

If I was personally involved (which I'm not), I'd also be contacting my local police department, along with the FBI. Again, I'd contact every agency that MAY be able to offer assistance. Let the agencies tell you they can't help.

Trust me, if I was owed monies, Neil would have already paid me or else he'd be on the fast track to court.

I think everyone is sacred of Neil, that if they try to get there money. That Neil would come after them. So I understand not going after Neil and trying to get your money from Neil. Just chalk it up as a lost and move on. Who needs the worries.

Hope eveyone can move on from this as well as Neil has.

Users who are viewing this thread