Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aerolaw

AFFL: FINANCIAL ISSUES AND CONCERNS

LATEST EMAIL: Let us begin by saying thank you for the patience that you have shown throughout this ordeal. The unfortunate events that have darkened the name of the AFFL have proved too much to overcome. When we started this venture back in March we envisioned a resurrection of the AFFL name. We wanted to come in, make things right, and then move forward. We knew that to keep the AFFL alive would mean paying out all the 2007 prizes as well as pre-securing 2008 prizes. We wanted to prove to the AFFL customers, and the fantasy community, that we would not make the same mistakes that previous ownership did. We wanted to prove to them that we were guys that could be trusted. Unfortunately, mostly due to timing and the economy, we were unable to raise the substantial amount of money it would require to do so. So now what? There are a lot of people out there that love to play fantasy football and the AFFL provided a great place to do it. In the past few months we have spoken with a lot of customers and have had positive feedback about the structure of the contest. To date, the AFFL has reached almost $60,000 in signups for the upcoming season, all without a resolution to the 2007 problems being announced. People want to play. We love fantasy football just like you guys. We've been playing for a long time and have wanted to start a contest for a while. We've put a lot of time and money into this and do not want to give up. We're out of ideas, and out of ways to cut costs. This is what we have left. We are no longer going to try to fix someone else's mistakes and problems. We also do not want to have to pay for someone else's mistakes and problems. We are upfront and honest guys that want to put a great contest out there for the fantasy football community. Therefore, we’re going to take the only option left for us at this time. We are going to start a new contest. We will use the same AFFL software and website, and change the name of the contest in the future. The contest will be run in the exact same fashion as the AFFL. All previously posted prizes and rules will not change. As 2007 prize winners ourselves, we really wanted to make things right and payout 2007 winners. As we stated earlier, we are sad to say that with only a few weeks left until the season starts that’s going to be impossible. We are offering the following three choices for 2007 prize winners: 1. We will be honoring any 2007 AFFL prize credits that you want to roll over. Of the prize winners that we have spoken to, almost 90% were willing to roll over. If you want to put this debacle behind you, move on, and just play fantasy football again, then roll over and play in the same contest you won in last year. We are honest guys and will make timely payouts. Roll over amounts, up to $10,000, will never expire and will be able to be used over multiple years. We will personally contact prizes winners over $10,000 and speak to them personally about their options. If you choose this option, you will have to agree to absolve International Fantasy Sports and the AFFL of any 2007 prize liability. If you decline this option, please note that Chicago Fantasy Sports will not be assuming any liability for 2007 prize payouts from International Fantasy Sports. 2. Take your chances in court, although, this option will be long and drawn out, and as we understand it, previous ownership has no funds if the lawsuit succeeds. We have also been told that IFS is filing bankruptcy. With option 1 at least you are guaranteed to get something for what is owed to you. 3. Choose not to play with us on principle. Choose not to get involved in a drawn out lawsuit. Just chalk it up to a loss and do nothing. Again, with option 1, at least you are playing fantasy football. Please follow this link to accept or decline option 1. If you accept, your credits will be available immediately. www.affl.com/prizes If, prior to February, you had elected to take credit for you prize winnings, that credit is still active. However, you will still need to accept option 1. If that gives you additional credit, your original discount code will be updated. We hope that you will choose to play with us. Although we cannot prove ourselves to you in advance, as we had hoped, we will certainly do so in the future. We hope to have the site up and running at 100% in the next few days. Because we never really considered this option until the last few days, there are some things that will need a little time to happen. We will need to have prize winnings placed in your respective accounts soon. Once they are in your accounts, you can choose to use them this year or in future years. We have also decided to cancel the platinum league for this year only. Although we are reluctant to do so, there is just not enough time to get enough participants in order to make the platinum league competitive. For our platinum players, please consider our gold contest, it costs only $600 to enter, $750 less than the platinum contest and the grand prize is only $15,000 less. Also, due to time constraints, drafts on August 16th and 17th will be cancelled. Emails containing further information will be sent out in the future. We know there may be some of you that are unhappy with this resolution and we want you to know that we are as well. We certainly did not envision this when we started, but as I said earlier, this is the only feasible option we have left. Wade J. Golab 773-908-0246Robert J. Smolarczyk 773-842-5954

I am no lawyer, but this is a bunch of bull#### right here. It does not seem legal to buy a company, and just assume the assets, but none of the liability. I know that one can purchase assets from companies, but they are operating under the same name, using the same software, website, etc. This would be like a company buying AIG and deciding they are going to keep taking payments on policies, but not paying out claims since "they did not write the policy themselves, so they shouldn't be responsible." There is no way that this Neil guy isn't pulling strings. I'm curious if any money changed hands. If so, Neil would presumably have some $$. I doubt it though, same shady scam with a different face to it.I agree it isn't worth pursuing in civil court, but there is absolutely criminal acitivity.
Asset purchases happen all the time. No liability transfers. Frustrating as heck, yes, but legal.Buying the assets and liabilities is not an "asset purchase".

Curiosity bump about the 2008 'winners' and what ended up happening.

This doubles as a cautionary bump as well.

-QG

Curiosity bump about the 2008 'winners' and what ended up happening.This doubles as a cautionary bump as well.-QG

won another $6-700 or so, no money yet or even notification about when its supposed to be coming. On the other hand, i have $9500 coming from WCOFF and havent received that either, so might be too early to sound the alarm.

Curiosity bump about the 2008 'winners' and what ended up happening.This doubles as a cautionary bump as well.-QG

won another $6-700 or so, no money yet or even notification about when its supposed to be coming. On the other hand, i have $9500 coming from WCOFF and havent received that either, so might be too early to sound the alarm.
obviously curious what happened (if anything) this time.GL, GB-QG

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I feel I should keep eveybody up to date on this issue.

I received my winnings from CHICAGO FANTASY SPORTS LLC (AFFL) this afternoon. I deposited the check into my bank today. Once the check clears I will post in this thread to confirm; it may take several days because of the size of the prize.

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I feel I should keep eveybody up to date on this issue.

I received my winnings from CHICAGO FANTASY SPORTS LLC (AFFL) this afternoon. I deposited the check into my bank today. Once the check clears I will post in this thread to confirm; it may take several days because of the size of the prize.

:moneybag: Well played Mr.Golab/Mr. Smolarczyk, well played!

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I feel I should keep eveybody up to date on this issue. I received my winnings from CHICAGO FANTASY SPORTS LLC (AFFL) this afternoon. I deposited the check into my bank today. Once the check clears I will post in this thread to confirm; it may take several days because of the size of the prize.

Monday Morning Update:The funds became available and I withdrew on the deposit this morning.I was extremely disappointed last year when the previous commish of AFFL did not make payment, as I was owed over $5000. I heard all of the arguments about taking legal action, but decided in the end to roll over my winnings into "store credits" which became my teams for the 2008 contest. I ended up winning over $10,000, and those are the funds which became available today. Normally, I would simply feel extremely fortunate and go about my business privately, but I wanted to take a moment to commend Wade and Rob publically (in front of the best fantasy community on the internet IMO) because they took a risk and saved the reputation of a high-stakes contest in our field of interest. I compete in most of the national high-stakes fantasy tournaments and know first-hand the kind of damage non-payment can do to our industry. I'm pleased to say that I'm looking forward to competing in their contest in 2009

awaiting the update from aerolaw...-QG

We did get paid by the date promised. Unfortunately, there is now another high stakes contest that has been around a while that has not paid its winners yet, and are offering no date on which to expect payment. All they are saying is they have always paid, so dont worry. I am not going to name them at this point, hoping for the best.

We did get paid by the date promised. Unfortunately, there is now another high stakes contest that has been around a while that has not paid its winners yet, and are offering no date on which to expect payment. All they are saying is they have always paid, so dont worry. I am not going to name them at this point, hoping for the best.
Glad ya got paid - hope it works out with the other one!

Which other high stakes contest has yet to pay its winners?

The SHOW EVERYONE has been waiting for...

TONIGHT... on REDvsBLUE...

SPECIAL GUESTS... the NEW OWNERS of the AFFL.

Who are they?

Are they involved in some way with Neil Wickham?

Why did they buy the AFFL with such a damaged name?

Why were the free entries offered?

What questions do you have for them?

What do you want to say to them?

Join our LIVE chat or call the show LIVE at 347-324-5404. This should be a good one!

Tonight, Friday, 6/26/2009 at 11pm EST.

Here's tonight's link: SPECIAL INVESTIGATIVE SHOW - The NEW AFFL

If you miss the show, it's archived on our show page at: SHOWPAGE -

Make sure and subscribe to our show! Click the iTunes button this week and I'll give you a FREE subscription!

My name is Stephen McGarvey and I was the Gold winner ($75,000 plus the trophy) in the 2007 season. Despite what many of you may have heard, I was never compensated as being a grand prize winner. For the first year, I tried to work with the new owners, but they did not hold up their end of the bargain and were dishonest. I have been actively pursuing a lawsuit for the last few months and spoke to two of my lawyers today who told me that although I have an excellent case, it would be in my best interest to file the lawsuit in the state of Nevada since that is where AFFL was originally registered. I am reaching out to the football community to ask if anyone knows of anyone that practices law in Nevada that could help me. I would appreciate any help. You can email me at steve_mcgarvey@comcast.net.

Thanks, Stephen

My name is Stephen McGarvey and I was the Gold winner ($75,000 plus the trophy) in the 2007 season. Despite what many of you may have heard, I was never compensated as being a grand prize winner. For the first year, I tried to work with the new owners, but they did not hold up their end of the bargain and were dishonest. I have been actively pursuing a lawsuit for the last few months and spoke to two of my lawyers today who told me that although I have an excellent case, it would be in my best interest to file the lawsuit in the state of Nevada since that is where AFFL was originally registered. I am reaching out to the football community to ask if anyone knows of anyone that practices law in Nevada that could help me. I would appreciate any help. You can email me at steve_mcgarvey@comcast.net. Thanks, Stephen

Stephen,If we were so dishonest with you why did you play with us last year. What is it we did that was so dishonest? You never once called me with any complaints or questions. I know your complaint is with the old owner but I would like to help patch things up with us. You can call me anytime.

My name is Stephen McGarvey and I was the Gold winner ($75,000 plus the trophy) in the 2007 season. Despite what many of you may have heard, I was never compensated as being a grand prize winner. For the first year, I tried to work with the new owners, but they did not hold up their end of the bargain and were dishonest. I have been actively pursuing a lawsuit for the last few months and spoke to two of my lawyers today who told me that although I have an excellent case, it would be in my best interest to file the lawsuit in the state of Nevada since that is where AFFL was originally registered. I am reaching out to the football community to ask if anyone knows of anyone that practices law in Nevada that could help me. I would appreciate any help. You can email me at steve_mcgarvey@comcast.net. Thanks, Stephen

Stephen,If we were so dishonest with you why did you play with us last year. What is it we did that was so dishonest? You never once called me with any complaints or questions. I know your complaint is with the old owner but I would like to help patch things up with us. You can call me anytime.
This might have something to do with him not getting paid the amount he won ($75,000).He won the money and should have been paid - regardless of anything else.

Maybe he played because he was led to believe he would be paid, and decided to have faith. Lots of reasons he might have played despite the circumstances.

The issue with the 07 prize winners has been resolved. 08 prize winners have been paid. Renaming the contest was something Wade and I discussed but will probably keep the name as is. We feel we worked hard to do all that we could to save it and will keep the name the same. We changed the software some, where it is now more like a commissioner product that we will be unveiling late in August and looking for people to beta test it this year for us.

Well, I never did get paid my 2007 winnings ($700) after months of being led that I just might. Although, I was offered a $700 credit which I did use to purchase teams in various leagues for 2008. Did not have much luck in last years fantasy season, but did manage to win a couple hundred dollars. Check was received in a timely manner. Although, there was one glitch...I deposited an unsigned check and it bounced and was charged $10. Wade/Bob did re-issue another check immediately and also sent me another check for my $10.

Yes, I will more than likely participate in a couple of leagues with the AFFL again this year and just hope for the best. Seems like the 2008 season was a success for the new owners and hopefully 2009 is as well!

The issue with the 07 prize winners has been resolved. 08 prize winners have been paid. Renaming the contest was something Wade and I discussed but will probably keep the name as is. We feel we worked hard to do all that we could to save it and will keep the name the same. We changed the software some, where it is now more like a commissioner product that we will be unveiling late in August and looking for people to beta test it this year for us.

:goodposting: