What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSLs / 2008 Survivor (1 Viewer)

Which draft section is worst

• Slots 1-4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slots 5-8

• Slots 9-12

• Slots 13-16

• Total voters

Jeff Pasquino

Footballguy
Reaching out to the WSL participants.

After your draft and looking over other teams, which draft spots do you favor and why?

Secondly, which draft spots do you think are unfavorable and why?

:goodposting:

There seems to be a sweet spot in the middle where you can grab a good RB, then go WR/WR or RB-TE-WR and have the makeup of a nice looking squad.

Seems Gates-Winslow-Witten are all going in round2 this year.

I think 5 & 6 is the best slots this year. You still get a stud running back (Steven Jackson, Bush or Addai/Westbrook if they drop for any reason) and then you aren't too far back to get a top WR or TE in the 2nd. Then your options in the 3rd are wide-open, which is more than I can say for a number of other slots.

9 or lower has some real issues, but I think the guys from 11-14 are probably going to have the hardest time of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue-Kun said:
I think 5 & 6 is the best slots this year. You still get a stud running back (Steven Jackson, Bush or Addai/Westbrook if they drop for any reason) and then you aren't too far back to get a top WR or TE in the 2nd. Then your options in the 3rd are wide-open, which is more than I can say for a number of other slots.9 or lower has some real issues, but I think the guys from 11-14 are probably going to have the hardest time of it.
Disagree. I went Grant/Parker out of the 12 hole. In WSL1 I like several of the teams drafted around me. Seems like there's a dead spot at the front end of the draft where the options are numerous and nothing stands out.2.14. beachbum - Jason Witten, TE2, DAL2.15. Fiddles - Ronnie Brown, RB18, NE2.16. Dickey Moe - Kellen Winslow, TE3, CLE3.01. Dickey Moe - Wes Welker, WR10, NE3.02. Fiddles - Jamal Lewis, RB19, CLE3.03. Beachbum - Anquan Boldin, WR11, AZ2.14 Jeff Terfertiller Torry Holt--WR9--STL2.15 jmills Braylon Edwards--WR10--CLE2.16 Commuterman Marques Colston--WR11--NOS3.01 Commuterman Tony Romo--QB3--DAL3.02 jmills Drew Brees--QB4--NOS3.03 Jeff Terfertiller Plaxico Burress--WR12--NYG2.14 old milwaukee Braylon Edwards, WR7 Cleveland2.15 Atomic Punk Carson Palmer, QB3 Cincinnati2.16 Jeff Pasquino Drew Brees, QB4 New Orleans3.01 Jeff Pasquino Andre Johnson, WR8 Houston 3.02 Atomic Punk LenDale White, RB19 Tennessee3.03 old milwaukee Tony Romo, QB5 Dallas2.14 Rudy - Jason Witten - TE3 - Dall 2.15 Pimpin Ain't Easy - Larry Fitzgerald - WR6 - Arz 2.16 Fullback Fro - Braylon Edwards WR7 - Clev3.01 Fullback Fro - Drew Brees - QB3 - NO3.02 Pimpin Ain't Easy - Chad Johnson -WR8 - Cincy3.03 Rudy - Darren McFadden - RB21 - RookieWhile I won't say these are bad picks, I see just as many good options available later in round 3.

1st pick - I'm always a fan of getting a top pick and then the top pick every odd round.

Middle picks - great to have for best chance for value picks and not worry about runs

Last picks - don't like them this year with top QB, TE, and WR more vague

Ends also add the pressure of predicting runs.

Having drafted at 1.01 in WSL2 and 1.09 in WSL4, I think I can add some good commentary on this.

(I'd like to hear from a few dual league drafters too).

1.01 gets you nice picks, but the runs can crush you. You also have to reach a little if you like a guy, figuring "he won't come back to me".

Fortunately I've drafted enough of these now to get a feel of what goes when and not get caught by the runs, but it still isn't the greatest.

Drafting in the middle I don't fear a run. If you can get a Top 5-10 RB in the middle of round 1 and still have shots at stud WR(s) in Rounds 2 and 3 and/or an elite TE, I think that also helps.

I think value exists throughout the draft, so the pressure to take a guy too early and fear of a run counteracts drafting at the top. I'd rather be in the middle - Pick 7-10 seems about right.

I get this question for about ten months a year - both for football and baseball, and I have two standard answers.

Note - If YOU firmly believe that there is one single player (or perhaps two) that are heads and shoulders above the rest of the field (from time to time we all do) and that having that particular player is such an advantage (usually it doesn't turn out that way and even when it does it is hard to predict which years that is the case) then that is the spot that YOU want and will feel most comfortable with.

BUT - here are the two answers

1) The spot in the middle of the draft you feel most comfortable with - for several reasons - you will get a better pick in the second round (and maybe fourth if that is not past the premier talent dropoff); you are better protected against any runs that may ensue (all drafts/leagues have a life of their own and these don't happen in all drafts); and finally, the drafters at either end have two close picks - the first is usually just best player available, but with their second, they have to weigh BPA against ALL the other players that will be drafted in all the picks before their next one - this often causes them to reach, slightly or tremendously, for the player they feel will best help their team (note - they may well be right) - BUT this presents tremendous opportunity for those drafters in the MIDDLE of the draft to take advantage of the talent that inevitably falls while at least a couple of people on Each end are making those reaches.

2) THE best spot in any draft is between two morons - advantages are obvious as they constantly take a homer pick or player who would be available in two more rounds, or just forget a player or position.............just saying.

Reaching out to the WSL participants. After your draft and looking over other teams, which draft spots do you favor and why?Secondly, which draft spots do you think are unfavorable and why? :rolleyes:
When you can get a Stud RB and then a Stud WR in rounds 1 and 2 and walk away with Chad Johnson in round three, then you discovered the perfect sweet spot of the draft, or well, it smacked you upside the head.For you that was pick 9.... But, that was the only WSL you would have gotten him in - Looks like the others you'd be picking from Buress or Marshall.......Not like you can predict that - So, If I wanted to pick the spot I would be most happy with I'd say it would be picks 5-8 in this poll....

Reaching out to the WSL participants. After your draft and looking over other teams, which draft spots do you favor and why?Secondly, which draft spots do you think are unfavorable and why? <_<
When you can get a Stud RB and then a Stud WR in rounds 1 and 2 and walk away with Chad Johnson in round three, then you discovered the perfect sweet spot of the draft, or well, it smacked you upside the head.For you that was pick 9.... But, that was the only WSL you would have gotten him in - Looks like the others you'd be picking from Buress or Marshall.......Not like you can predict that - So, If I wanted to pick the spot I would be most happy with I'd say it would be picks 5-8 in this poll....
Ok, what's your least desirable spot?

Reaching out to the WSL participants. After your draft and looking over other teams, which draft spots do you favor and why?Secondly, which draft spots do you think are unfavorable and why? :rolleyes:
Ok, what's your least desirable spot?
13.. I pulled off a pretty good team anyway but, that's me. :penalty:

I really liked the 5 spot. To get Steven Jackson, Steve Smith, and Chad Johnson as your first three seems like a pretty good deal. The only problem was that I then went for another receiver in the 4th with Walker because there was little value at RB. But then, to still get Thomas Jones in the 5th seemed like incredible value when he had over 320 touches last year. I tend to target guys who have low TD totals because I don't think that is very predictive of their future value. In any case, the 5 spot seems better than average for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked the 5 spot. To get Steven Jackson, Steve Smith, and Chad Johnson as your first three seems like a pretty good deal. The only problem was that I then went for another receiver in the 4th with Walker because there was little value at RB. But then, to still get Thomas Jones in the 5th seemed like incredible value when he had over 320 touches last year. I tend to target guys who have low TD totals because I don't think that is very predictive of their future value. In any case, the 5 spot seems better than average for sure.
:fishing: And The majority seem to be picking your team as the best...Great point on TD's also - I remember back when people said Holt was adverse to gettting Td's. People would actually write that Holt is a great yardage guy but can't get TD"s and I was like WTH :fishing:

I get this question for about ten months a year - both for football and baseball, and I have two standard answers.Note - If YOU firmly believe that there is one single player (or perhaps two) that are heads and shoulders above the rest of the field (from time to time we all do) and that having that particular player is such an advantage (usually it doesn't turn out that way and even when it does it is hard to predict which years that is the case) then that is the spot that YOU want and will feel most comfortable with.BUT - here are the two answers1) The spot in the middle of the draft you feel most comfortable with - for several reasons - you will get a better pick in the second round (and maybe fourth if that is not past the premier talent dropoff); you are better protected against any runs that may ensue (all drafts/leagues have a life of their own and these don't happen in all drafts); and finally, the drafters at either end have two close picks - the first is usually just best player available, but with their second, they have to weigh BPA against ALL the other players that will be drafted in all the picks before their next one - this often causes them to reach, slightly or tremendously, for the player they feel will best help their team (note - they may well be right) - BUT this presents tremendous opportunity for those drafters in the MIDDLE of the draft to take advantage of the talent that inevitably falls while at least a couple of people on Each end are making those reaches.2) THE best spot in any draft is between two morons - advantages are obvious as they constantly take a homer pick or player who would be available in two more rounds, or just forget a player or position.............just saying.
:shrug: I'm not liking the 10 spot in W4, but I'm behind Jeff. The 1st round was good, I'll happily take Portis there, far ahead of the next RBs - MB3 and Parker (although FWP could be a huge value). Missed out on the truly elite WRs and RB2 in the 2nd, and the WR1s I'd feel comfortable with in the 3rd (JP took 85 right before my pick). From that point on, there probably isn't much of a difference. I probably could have drafted more strategically, but the 10 spot, behind a person who has done these before, is among the more challenging draft slots I've had.

Looking at the results so far and subtracting the 'worst' from the 'best' for each quarter of the draft:

5-8 = +15

1-4 = +7

9-12 = -5

13-16 = -17

Users who are viewing this thread