What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL 2008 PITTBURGH PIRATES THREAD *** (1 Viewer)

Jason Bay isn't on board the bandwagon

On Jan. 25, the day PirateFest opened at David L. Lawrence Convention Center, Bay publicly expressed disappointment that management had not done more -- five waiver claims and a minor free-agent signing -- to bolster a team that went 68-94 last season, saying, "I think that, for a championship-quality team, you need to make more moves. And I'm not talking about the .500 team we can be. I don't think anyone in this room is going to tell you we're a championship-quality team."

Pirates sign Byung-Hyun Kim:

link

Pirates agree to terms with free-agent reliever Kim

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BRADENTON, Fla. - The Pirates this morning reached agreement on a one-year, $850,000 contract with free-agent pitcher Byung-Hyun Kim, pending a physical.

It is a major-league deal, one that could earn Kim an additional $1 million in performance bonuses.

Kim, a 29-year-old sidearm right-hander and native of South Korea, split last season between the Colorado Rockies, Arizona Diamondbacks and Florida Marlins, going 10-8 with a 6.08 ERA in 28 appearances, including 22 starts. In 394 Major League Baseball appearances, including 87 starts, he is 54-60 with a 4.42 ERA.

The Pirates' plan is to use Kim exclusively in the bullpen, where his addition will reduce the number of vacancies this spring to three.

A space on the full 40-man roster will have to be cleared for Kim.

Also today, the Pirates had their first full-squad workout under manager John Russell, a three-hour session with a focus on infield drills and live batting practice. Earlier in the morning, general manager Neal Huntington and Russell addressed the players to let them know of their expectations.

"I think we're a complete ball club, and I told the players that," Russell said. "We're not so much the power-hitting team that's going to hit a bunch of home runs, but we can handle the bat, we can pitch, we can play defense. It's a matter of putting it all together. The pieces are here, and I think a lot of the guys are starting to believe that. That's a good first step for us."

Pirates sign Byung-Hyun Kim:

link

Pirates agree to terms with free-agent reliever Kim

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

BRADENTON, Fla. - The Pirates this morning reached agreement on a one-year, $850,000 contract with free-agent pitcher Byung-Hyun Kim, pending a physical.

It is a major-league deal, one that could earn Kim an additional $1 million in performance bonuses.

Kim, a 29-year-old sidearm right-hander and native of South Korea, split last season between the Colorado Rockies, Arizona Diamondbacks and Florida Marlins, going 10-8 with a 6.08 ERA in 28 appearances, including 22 starts. In 394 Major League Baseball appearances, including 87 starts, he is 54-60 with a 4.42 ERA.

The Pirates' plan is to use Kim exclusively in the bullpen, where his addition will reduce the number of vacancies this spring to three.

A space on the full 40-man roster will have to be cleared for Kim.

Also today, the Pirates had their first full-squad workout under manager John Russell, a three-hour session with a focus on infield drills and live batting practice. Earlier in the morning, general manager Neal Huntington and Russell addressed the players to let them know of their expectations.

"I think we're a complete ball club, and I told the players that," Russell said. "We're not so much the power-hitting team that's going to hit a bunch of home runs, but we can handle the bat, we can pitch, we can play defense. It's a matter of putting it all together. The pieces are here, and I think a lot of the guys are starting to believe that. That's a good first step for us."
:goodposting: I really hate this team.......GO PENS!!!!!!!

i don't mind the kim signing. he's OK with coming in as a reliever. which means if he pitches well in that role, he can be traded for a prospect at the deadline.

as for the rest of the situation ... ugh. it's getting harder and harder. i mean, it's feb. 21 and i can't be the least bit optmistic that this team will finish anywhere other than last.

the astros made offseason moves to improve (or at least try to).

the cardinals have pujols and a young CF (rasmus) who is better than any pirates prospect at this point.

if this team could somehow find a way to get 5 runs on a consistent basis, they could be OK with the SP.

my biggest concern right now is which ian snell is going to show up this year? the one from the first half of last year who should have been an all-star or the one from the 2nd half who didn't want to be there?

It saddens me to say this, but the Pirates are probably the most inept franchise in all of professional sports right now. It's really embarrassing.

Nice to see that Gorzelanny's shoulder appears to be okay. In order to compete pretty much everyone is going to have to stay healthy and have near career years.

BRADENTON, Fla. — Tom Gorzelanny's delayed spring debut was an encouraging one.Gorzelanny pitched a scoreless inning Sunday in the Pirates' 7-5 loss to the Tampa Rays, four days after being scratched from a start because of shoulder soreness."I threw all my pitches and I felt good," said Gorzelanny, who led Pittsburgh's pitchers with 14 wins in 2007. "I threw some breaking balls, not necessarily all of them well, but it was important because they put a certain amount of strain on your arm but I threw them without feeling anything."

I've not been encouraged by his signings this off-season but Neal Huntington's introductory speech had to be promising for Buc fans, right?

"We are going to utilize several objective measures of player performance to evaluate and develop players. We'll rely on the more traditional objective evaluations: OPS (on base percentage plus slugging percentage) , WHIP (walks and hits per inning pitched), Runs Created, ERC (Component ERA), GB/FB (ground ball to fly ball ratio), K/9 (strikeouts per nine innings), K/BB (strikeouts to walks ratio), BB%, etc., but we'll also look to rely on some of the more recent variations: VORP (value over replacement player), Relative Performance, EqAve (equivalent average), EqOBP (equivalent on base percentage), EqSLG (equivalent slugging percentage), BIP% (balls put into play percentage), wOBA (weighted on base average), Range Factor, PMR (probabilistic model of range) and Zone Rating."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not been encouraged by his signings this off-season but Neal Huntington's introductory speech had to be promising for Buc fans, right?"We are going to utilize several objective measures of player performance to evaluate and develop players. We'll rely on the more traditional objective evaluations: OPS (on base percentage plus slugging percentage) , WHIP (walks and hits per inning pitched), Runs Created, ERC (Component ERA), GB/FB (ground ball to fly ball ratio), K/9 (strikeouts per nine innings), K/BB (strikeouts to walks ratio), BB%, etc., but we'll also look to rely on some of the more recent variations: VORP (value over replacement player), Relative Performance, EqAve (equivalent average), EqOBP (equivalent on base percentage), EqSLG (equivalent slugging percentage), BIP% (balls put into play percentage), wOBA (weighted on base average), Range Factor, PMR (probabilistic model of range) and Zone Rating."
How does all this apply to Chris Gomez? :mellow:

Easily the worst team in baseball this year. Shocked if they don't lose a hundred.
I don't think they are worse than Baltimore. The Pirates pitched well sometimes last year, hit well sometimes last year, but never could do both well at the same time. I expect them to win 70 to 75 games this year, and if things break right, 80 games.

Easily the worst team in baseball this year. Shocked if they don't lose a hundred.
I don't think they are worse than Baltimore. The Pirates pitched well sometimes last year, hit well sometimes last year, but never could do both well at the same time. I expect them to win 70 to 75 games this year, and if things break right, 80 games.
You know, I think I've heard this somewhere before. Yes, I know I have. Now if I could just put my finger on it. Wait, wait, I think it's coming to me. Yes, I've got it.EVERY YEAR FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS!!!!!

Bump for taking 2 out of 3 against the Braves!

Sure they were ugly wins but they are now sitting 2-1, taking a couple of games away from a good Atlanta Braves team. The bullpen needs to improve after giving up 14+ runs in the first 2 games of the season; Bay, LaRoche, and Bautista need to pick up their play batting (altough I'll give it up for Bay who has a .750 base pct. in the last 2 games). Hopefully Wilson's injury is what they are projecting, which is a Calf Strain, and hopefully be back in time for the home opener.

Raise the Jolly Roger! :kicksrock:

Woohoo, it's April 15th and the Buccos are over .500!! :confused: When's the parade?
Only one error last night for the buccos. Thats impressive for the worst defensive team in baseball. I don't know how this team keeps winning while shooting themselves in the foot.

I don't know how long McLouth and Nady can stay hot but they have been carrying the team offensively. If Sanchez, LaRouche, Bay and Bautista could heat up they could have a scary lineup.

Woohoo, it's April 15th and the Buccos are over .500!! :lmao: When's the parade?
I don't know if this team can keep this up, but they are a scrapy team. Winning in whatever way possible and definitely not the pretty way. As a Pirate fan though I will take it any way it comes. Go Bucs!

Matt Morris is one of the worst free agent acquisitions the Pirates have ever made and that is saying a lot considering the many mistakes made by Pirate management over the years.

I will be shocked if he records a win this season as a starter. He gets rocked every time he goes out on the mound.

Matt Morris is one of the worst free agent acquisitions the Pirates have ever made and that is saying a lot considering the many mistakes made by Pirate management over the years.

I will be shocked if he records a win this season as a starter. He gets rocked every time he goes out on the mound.
It's even worse than that. They actually gave up 2 players for the privilege of paying this guy $13.5 million.

It's even worse than that. They actually gave up 2 players for the privilege of paying this guy $13.5 million.
It has the days of Derek Bell written all over it...

Operation Shutdown?

Operation Shutdown?
Well, I guess I was think how bad a signing Bell was; a Cam Bonifay special. I am not saying that Morris will give up and repeat operation shutdown. Although it may be the best move for the Pirate team.

Big day game for the Buccos. Cubs owned them in Pittsburgh but the red-hot Snell will hopefully play the role of savior.

Can the Pirates just part ways with Laroche at this point? I know it would be admitting they made a mistake and it wouldn't make them a better team (because they have absolutely no other options) but at least Pirates fans would no longer have to puke in their mouth every time this loser steps up to the plate. What a waste!!!

Quote from Jason Bay after yesterday's loss......"It seems like we're a streaky team," "It's just that the losing streaks are lasting a little longer than the winning streaks. That makes it tough to catch up."

Sorry Bay......you're just a bad team. You play on a team thats been bad for 15 years. Once a season, you may pull a 4 or 5 game winning streak out of your #### but that does not make you a streaky team.

Quote of the day from the nightly call-in show.

If you want Adam Laroche to start hitting, have Matt Morris pitch to him.

Hate to bump/quote my own post but my prediction did come true.

Quote of the day from the nightly call-in show.If you want Adam Laroche to start hitting, have Matt Morris pitch to him.
That's awesome. It's time to blow up this team. Trade away anyone decent that won't be around 3 to 5 years from now. Bay, Sanchez, Nady, Jack Wilson (if anyone will take him), LaRoche after he starts hitting since April is almost over, etc. Keep the pitching, although it's been nothing special. Maybe even deal McClouth since McClutchen should come up eventually.

Quote of the day from the nightly call-in show.

If you want Adam Laroche to start hitting, have Matt Morris pitch to him.
That's awesome. It's time to blow up this team. Trade away anyone decent that won't be around 3 to 5 years from now. Bay, Sanchez, Nady, Jack Wilson (if anyone will take him), LaRoche after he starts hitting since April is almost over, etc. Keep the pitching, although it's been nothing special. Maybe even deal McClouth since McClutchen should come up eventually.
screw it. maybe some other gm out there still believes in some of these guys. if they turn into jason schmidt, so be it. snell has been average if that since the all-star break. gorzellany, maholm, duke. they're all bottom of the rotation guys. no one is emerging as a no. 1 starter. its discouraging.

When Wilson gets back, this lineup will look good.

If the pitching can even be decent, this may be the year we win 81.
This is a very, very big IF and the reason why I see this team finishing the season their usual 20+ games below .500.
They will be better than that unless they have a big talent sell off.
Even despite their mini hot streak right now, I still don't see the Pirates as a 71+ win team. They have one of the worst defenses in baseball (although it will improve when Wilson returns), one of the worst pitching staffs in baseball (and this despite Duke overperforming in my opinion) and a lineup that only has a few legitimate threats. Also, what makes you think they won't have a big talent sell off? They do have a few veteran players that could land them some nice prospects. I don't see the Pirates believing that they could contend for the playoffs by the all star break. I know I'm sounding pessimistic here but 15+ seasons of losing will do that to a person. I just think it's the same old tune with this team........

Went to my first, and probably last Pirates game of the year. Thankfully they were free tickets.

What a pathetic exhibition that was. Fielding errors, baserunning errors, mental errors, and general lack of hustle. And absolutely atrocious pitching. Twelve runs on nineteen hits. Carlos Zambrano was 4 for 5 with a run and 2 RBI.

But hey, the fireworks were awfully impressive. And after spending most of the game watching people walking up and down the aisle in front of me with no regard for the fact that the game was going on, it's pretty clear that the fireworks were the only reason most of the fans were there anyway.

Keep up the good work, Bucs.

:popcorn:

Heard a pretty amazing stat yesterday. The Pirates are 20-0 when leading after the 6th inning. That's pretty impressive bullpen work. If this team had even average starting pitching they'd probably be contending. But they always manage to come up with a big weak spot.

The stats may not reflect it in a huge way, but I've been very impressed with the maturation of Dumatrait this season.

What the hell man?

Ian Snell pitches a wildly effective 6 innings with 91 pitches. The dude was all over the place, but he's shutting out the Nats (shocking, I know) through 6. His turn comes up to bat in the bottom of the sixth, so you'd figure ok, time to pinch hit one of the scrubs they have on the bench and turn it over to the bullpen for the final three innings. Right? NOPE. Out trots Snell, and the inning starts off with a double and a walk, and then they take out Snell. Is it just the Pirate uni that makes the managers turn into dunces? McClendon, Tracy...were they just victims of the uni???

It was really important that Snell leave this game with a feeling of confidence...leave the field on a good note. Just sucked watching the manager try as hard as he could to find some way to make Snell have a bad night.

Edit to add: I'm even madder now, seeing that the Nationals had a lefty on the mound and the Bucs had Jason Michaels on the bench....a guy that might actually do some damage.

Marte came in and gave up a run scoring hit, so of course now Snell and the Pirate fans might get cheated out of a win.

Second edit: Then the Pirates have the bases loaded, one out, and score one run...the two outs? LaRoche and Batista back to back strikeouts.

Pirate fans, I don't know how you keep it together watching this team. I'm about ready to pull my hair out.

Users who are viewing this thread