What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Attending the NFL Draft (2 Viewers)

TheLastDispatch

Footballguy
I'm thinking about going to the draft this year with a few friends. I don't know anything about ticket availability or ticket prices though. I tried googling it and got mostly sites saying they sell draft tickets cheaper than the competition etc. but no real info. I tried searching the forums here, but inputting "draft" in any combination into the search filter comes up with a lot of other topics.

Tickets are only available on the day of the draft, correct?

How much do tickets usually go for?

Is it hard to get tickets(does it sell out in 5 minutes?)?

Anything else a first time draft-goer should know?

TIA

I'm thinking about going to the draft this year with a few friends. I don't know anything about ticket availability or ticket prices though. I tried googling it and got mostly sites saying they sell draft tickets cheaper than the competition etc. but no real info. I tried searching the forums here, but inputting "draft" in any combination into the search filter comes up with a lot of other topics.Tickets are only available on the day of the draft, correct?How much do tickets usually go for?Is it hard to get tickets(does it sell out in 5 minutes?)?Anything else a first time draft-goer should know?TIA
Bloom and co should provide great info, but from what I understand.Its free.Get on line Friday night like and expect to spend the night on a sidewalk with hundreds of people.

I'm thinking about going to the draft this year with a few friends. I don't know anything about ticket availability or ticket prices though. I tried googling it and got mostly sites saying they sell draft tickets cheaper than the competition etc. but no real info. I tried searching the forums here, but inputting "draft" in any combination into the search filter comes up with a lot of other topics.Tickets are only available on the day of the draft, correct?How much do tickets usually go for?Is it hard to get tickets(does it sell out in 5 minutes?)?Anything else a first time draft-goer should know?TIA
There was a thread about this from last year. I dont think you have to pay for the tickets though, right?

Tickets for the draft are free. Last year I went with two of my friends and we waited all night (7:30pm Friday night on) to get tickets. Be ready for a long and boring night, but great people to hang with as everyone around us were friendly and cool to hang around.

Cool, thanks guys. If you spend the night on the sidewalk are you pretty much guaranteed to get tickets? Or are tickets in such short supply that some people spend the night on the street and don't get tickets?

If it's the former, does that then mean you have a shot at tickets if you spend the night in a hotel and then just get there real early?

Cool, thanks guys. If you spend the night on the sidewalk are you pretty much guaranteed to get tickets? Or are tickets in such short supply that some people spend the night on the street and don't get tickets?If it's the former, does that then mean you have a shot at tickets if you spend the night in a hotel and then just get there real early?
From what i read in last year thread IIRC if you stay out all night you get a voucher for a ticket the next day i think. Getting there early is not an option IIRC.

Cool, thanks guys. If you spend the night on the sidewalk are you pretty much guaranteed to get tickets? Or are tickets in such short supply that some people spend the night on the street and don't get tickets?If it's the former, does that then mean you have a shot at tickets if you spend the night in a hotel and then just get there real early?
If you spend the night, you will get tickets. If you try to show up real early, you will not get tickets. Basically, if you get there any later than 3, you're not getting tickets. And the earlier you're there, the better seats you'll get as well. Although, last year they screwed over the people that waited the longest by moving the line. It's a good time, but you won't get much sleep, if any.Last year we got in line around 9 pm or so. They gave out vouchers around 7 am and then you had to get back there around an hour before the draft to get in line to go in.ETA: PM me if you want anymore details. I'm thinking about going again this year. If I have a ticket coming in the mail I'll probably be there. It was lots of fun though last year. I got to meet a bunch of the FBG staff as well as some other very cool message board guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went last year too and got in line at about 4 am after about a half hour of bowling to sober up. Waited in line until about 9:30 am to get my voucher. I witnessed the whole line moving thing and it was totally bogus! I would advise getting there around 8 or 9 pm Fri. night and wearing the most comfy shoes you can think of or bring a milk crate or camp chair to sit on and maybe a book. Before you go in to attend the actual draft you should definitely eat somewhere decent because the concessions suck. Ballpark type stuff with hot dogs as the feature item. Last year was cool because of some of the drama like the fall of Quinn and the Moss trade and Michael Bush's selection but as everyone can remember it was the longest first day ever. It should be way cooler with the format changes and I will definitely be back in '09 but not this year.

Get in line around 4am and you'll be fine.

I didn't mind the waiting part to bad -you get to talk football all night.

Come to the second day, stay all day -you'll get tickets for next year.

There were MAYBE 350 people at the second day and it's not as long as you think(3-4) hours.

Any more details from the FBG crew? I know some FBG staff is going to be there.

I went two years ago with little info. The group I was with just sort of winged it. It worked out great, but we definitely got lucky. Any tips you fellas can provide to shave off an hour or two from the time in line would be greatly appreciated. I'll be in town starting Wednesday the 23rd.

Faletti and I and Big Sean Baca from draftguys.com will be there. We plan on hanging out with the line all night talking draft - we've also got some very cool Draftguys TV promo ideas we're kicking around that would take place that night for the true diehards.

Did they still give out tickets for the following year on day 2? I can't make in on day one but am thinking about going for day 2 if I can get tickets for 2009 then.

Did they still give out tickets for the following year on day 2? I can't make in on day one but am thinking about going for day 2 if I can get tickets for 2009 then.
every year ive been there, if you are there for the last pick, you get to fill out a "day 2 diehard" form that gets you a ticket for day 1 of next year's draft. Theres no guarantee they'll do it again, but it seems like a program they are happy with.

Just mailed in my form letter telling me my ticket will be mailed out ten days from the start of the

draft. With the start time being knocked back to 3:00 I think you can get in line around 4-6 am

and be fine.

last year I showed up at 3:30 am and ended up in the 3rd mezz 600 section.

The seating ends at the 700 section. No bad seats in the house.

With the start time pushed back, it's hard to say when you'll have to get in line for Day 1 at this point. If you're there early enough, you'll sit in the lower section unless security decides to screw everyone over again and change where the line starts.

For Day 2, you can walk right up and in. You won't have to stand in line at all. There was hardly anyone there for Day 2 last year.

With the start time pushed back, it's hard to say when you'll have to get in line for Day 1 at this point. If you're there early enough, you'll sit in the lower section unless security decides to screw everyone over again and change where the line starts.For Day 2, you can walk right up and in. You won't have to stand in line at all. There was hardly anyone there for Day 2 last year.
What time does Day 2 begin? Could you "walk right in" an hour before it ends, and then collect the voucher for next year?

Get in line around 4am and you'll be fine. I didn't mind the waiting part to bad -you get to talk football all night. Come to the second day, stay all day -you'll get tickets for next year. There were MAYBE 350 people at the second day and it's not as long as you think(3-4) hours.
Hi there!!long time reader of the shark pool, first time poster... i actually created this acct just so i could chime in on this topic...first things first... the second round last year was not 3-4 hours, it was more like 7 or 8 but still not as bad as the first day was when we got out at 1130 pm!!!last year we got there around 11:30 pm on friday night, and were about 400th in line... the NFL people kept "insisting" that we should all go home and that they were going to form "their" line at 3 am...thing is noone left, so when they formed "their" line, it did indeed cut of the people that had been there the longest, and about a thousand people ended up running down the street at 3 am... it was actually fairly amusing :(i did not mind this line formation, as they moved the line so that i was about the 50th person in line, so we got front row seats, and got very valuable sleep time before the actual draft started.i would still recomend however getting there no later than 130 or 2 am, as i know for a fact that there were people in line last year that did not get tickets (not sure how many, but i listened to grumblings on the streets right before the draft started, and some of these people were the ones running down the street, to get to the other side of the line).The food inside sucks, and is very expensive, and worst of all they dont sell booze :goodposting: (im gonna try to sneak a flask in this year)The "free tix" for next year is a prgram they have called NFL draft "day 2 diehards" in which they give you a form before the first pick of day two (they do not give them out once the first pick has been made), and they dont collect them until Mr. irrelavent has been called.you cannot leave the building or they will not let you back in... it makes for a very long day but it is all worth it when you dont have to sleep on the sidewalk the next year round.i have my tix bieng mailed to me this year, and of course as allways they are free :goodposting: If anyone has any more questions i would be glad to answer them... all in all its a great time, and i look forward to the next one they day i leave NY after the draft (long time comming)Thanks for readingBam

you dont need tix for day two, not enough people show up to fill out the seats... it is open seating first come first served, then you stay the whole day and turn in your form for tix next yearyou cant get a form once the first pick has been made, so no you cant show up late and still get the diehard voucher... hence the name "diehard" youre not really a diehard if you arent there the whole day :shrug: Bam

The NFL released this info the other day on draft times, when the lines will begin ect....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

Posted: 04/04/2008 E-mail

The fan's guide to the 2008 NFL Draft

National Football League

The NFL announced procedures for fans wishing to attend the 73rd NFL Draft on Saturday and Sunday, April 26-27, at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. This year's draft will start at 3 p.m. on Saturday and will conclude with the final selection of Round 2. The third round will begin on Sunday at 10 a.m.

The NFL Draft is a free event; however seating is extremely limited.

The following procedure applies to Saturday only:

Wristbands to secure a ticket and entry into the Draft will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 26 on the 50th Street side of Radio City Music Hall. All persons wishing to attend the Draft must be present in order to receive a wristband. No exceptions will be made. Please remember that fans arrive very early. Fans who receive wristbands will then be able to line up beginning at 1:00 p.m. with doors opening at 1:45 p.m.

Fan entry will take place at the "Carriage Door Entrance" located on 50th Street between 5th and 6th Avenues.

Fans who attend Day Two of the Draft (Sunday) in its entirety will be eligible to receive a ticket for the 2009 NFL Draft by filling out a form distributed only at Radio City prior to the first selection of the third round. These forms will only be accepted at the conclusion of Day Two, after the final selection has been made, to designated NFL staff members on-site. Only one form per person will be allowed. Doors will open to fans at 9 a.m. on Sunday.

Other opportunities for fans to experience the excitement of the 2008 NFL Draft include the NFL Draft Preview on Friday and NFL Draft Fan Central on Saturday.

NFL Draft Preview will take place at the Winter Garden in the World Financial Center on Friday, April 25 at 12:00 p.m. NFL Draft Preview is a free event where fans can see the top college football prospects for the 2008 NFL Draft. Players from the New York Jets and the Super Bowl XLII Champion New York Giants also will appear and NFL Network's Jamie Dukes will host the event. The Winter Garden at the World Financial Center is located at 225 Vesey Street in lower Manhattan. For directions, click here.

NFL Draft Fan Central will be open to all fans on Saturday, April 26 from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on 51st Street between 6th and 7th avenues. NFL Draft Fan Central is a free event and will feature interactive football activities, Giants and Jets player autograph sessions and live coverage of the 2008 NFL Draft on the NFL Network big screen.

Held in New York City since 1965, the NFL Draft will be televised nationally by NFL Network and ESPN. This is the third consecutive year that the Draft will be held at Radio City Music Hall.

Get in line around 4am and you'll be fine. I didn't mind the waiting part to bad -you get to talk football all night. Come to the second day, stay all day -you'll get tickets for next year. There were MAYBE 350 people at the second day and it's not as long as you think(3-4) hours.
Hi there!!long time reader of the shark pool, first time poster... i actually created this acct just so i could chime in on this topic...first things first... the second round last year was not 3-4 hours, it was more like 7 or 8 but still not as bad as the first day was when we got out at 1130 pm!!!last year we got there around 11:30 pm on friday night, and were about 400th in line... the NFL people kept "insisting" that we should all go home and that they were going to form "their" line at 3 am...thing is noone left, so when they formed "their" line, it did indeed cut of the people that had been there the longest, and about a thousand people ended up running down the street at 3 am... it was actually fairly amusing :)i did not mind this line formation, as they moved the line so that i was about the 50th person in line, so we got front row seats, and got very valuable sleep time before the actual draft started.i would still recomend however getting there no later than 130 or 2 am, as i know for a fact that there were people in line last year that did not get tickets (not sure how many, but i listened to grumblings on the streets right before the draft started, and some of these people were the ones running down the street, to get to the other side of the line).The food inside sucks, and is very expensive, and worst of all they dont sell booze :no: (im gonna try to sneak a flask in this year)The "free tix" for next year is a prgram they have called NFL draft "day 2 diehards" in which they give you a form before the first pick of day two (they do not give them out once the first pick has been made), and they dont collect them until Mr. irrelavent has been called.you cannot leave the building or they will not let you back in... it makes for a very long day but it is all worth it when you dont have to sleep on the sidewalk the next year round.i have my tix bieng mailed to me this year, and of course as allways they are free :thumbup: If anyone has any more questions i would be glad to answer them... all in all its a great time, and i look forward to the next one they day i leave NY after the draft (long time comming)Thanks for readingBam
Hi Everyone just have a few questionsWhen you say lined up where actually were you? and also where did the "nfl line" start and do you think its going to happen again this year as well?sorry for the questions but this is going to be my first draft attendence and im just trying to plan this out as much as i can

r33mo

The line is/was in front of Radio City.

Most likely they will have 3/4ths of the side walk sectioned off for guys in line.

Last year around 5 am the line went half way around the building.

Hi there!!long time reader of the shark pool, first time poster... i actually created this acct just so i could chime in on this topic...first things first... the second round last year was not 3-4 hours, it was more like 7 or 8 but still not as bad as the first day was when we got out at 1130 pm!!!last year we got there around 11:30 pm on friday night, and were about 400th in line... the NFL people kept "insisting" that we should all go home and that they were going to form "their" line at 3 am...thing is noone left, so when they formed "their" line, it did indeed cut of the people that had been there the longest, and about a thousand people ended up running down the street at 3 am... it was actually fairly amusing :excited:i did not mind this line formation, as they moved the line so that i was about the 50th person in line, so we got front row seats, and got very valuable sleep time before the actual draft started.i would still recomend however getting there no later than 130 or 2 am, as i know for a fact that there were people in line last year that did not get tickets (not sure how many, but i listened to grumblings on the streets right before the draft started, and some of these people were the ones running down the street, to get to the other side of the line).The food inside sucks, and is very expensive, and worst of all they dont sell booze :lmao: (im gonna try to sneak a flask in this year)The "free tix" for next year is a prgram they have called NFL draft "day 2 diehards" in which they give you a form before the first pick of day two (they do not give them out once the first pick has been made), and they dont collect them until Mr. irrelavent has been called.you cannot leave the building or they will not let you back in... it makes for a very long day but it is all worth it when you dont have to sleep on the sidewalk the next year round.i have my tix bieng mailed to me this year, and of course as allways they are free :lmao: If anyone has any more questions i would be glad to answer them... all in all its a great time, and i look forward to the next one they day i leave NY after the draft (long time comming)Thanks for readingBam
Hi Everyone just have a few questionsWhen you say lined up where actually were you? and also where did the "nfl line" start and do you think its going to happen again this year as well?sorry for the questions but this is going to be my first draft attendence and im just trying to plan this out as much as i can
Sorry for late response on this, just got back from Hawaii :goodposting: RCMH is on 50th between Avenue of the Americas (6th), and 5th st.The line was started by fans at around 10 pm the night before based upon where the tix were handed out the year before. That door was cloer to the 5th ave side of 50th street.Their "official" line was moved to the door closest to the front entrance on 50th and ave of the americas. So when this line was formed, everyone between the 5th ave doors, and the 6th ave doors, just turned around (moving eveyone that was first in line to about 200th in line). The origonal line continued past the front 6th ave doors, and curved north up the Ave of the Americas. Everyone who was in line on ave of the americas had to then run down 50th street to get back in line, the end of which was now at the 5th street doors.Either way, dont fret, you litterally can not miss this line, the entire sidewalk is blocked off, and there will be hundereds to thousands of people in line depending upon what time you get there... get there before 2am and you are pretty much guaranteed a spot... the earlier you get there the more likely your seats will be better.Who knows if they will change the line again, you know how the NFL is these days... noone is gonna tell them where thier line starts... just gotta go with the flow, and dont give up :)BAM

Hey guys,

this is a very helpful thread.

Quick question though, did people in the line bring beer/food? I know there must be open container rules, but it just seems like it would be fun to crack a few cold ones while we are waiting with other NFL fans.

Hey guys, this is a very helpful thread.Quick question though, did people in the line bring beer/food? I know there must be open container rules, but it just seems like it would be fun to crack a few cold ones while we are waiting with other NFL fans.
I don't remember any coolers. Once you've been there for a while, guys are pretty cool about letting you go grab something to eat/go to the bathroom and get back in line.Just be careful once the NFL puts up actual barriers. If you get out of line at that point, they may force you to the end of the line, even if it's because you're being treated by the paramedics. :shrug:

Hey guys, this is a very helpful thread.Quick question though, did people in the line bring beer/food? I know there must be open container rules, but it just seems like it would be fun to crack a few cold ones while we are waiting with other NFL fans.
The police were definately doing their best to enforce some sort of "no drinking in public" law, but it seemed that they didnt start that until around 4am IIRC (which is when the bars close there).The line is about 10 feet wide, all people, so if your up against the wall, and you sit down, and you dont make a fool of yourself, you will have a human sheild and you should be just fine...Even when the cops did bust people they just made them pour our their malty beverages... no fines, no harm, no foul, just dont be one of "those guys" who starts drama in a line with 2000 other people, and all will be well.Also, the night is sooo looong, i found that if i had drank, i would not have had a good time come 5 or 6 am.They do not sell booze inside however so if you plan on drinking at all during the weekend, perhaps in line is the easiest choice :goodposting: BAM

Only if your really stupid do you get caught with an open container.

Plastic cup is your friend here. The police do cruise bye every few minutes.

Even after the barricades come up you can still get back in the same spot.

What happens is your going to end up talking with the people around you

and they'll hold your spot.

All the things that people on this board rag about happen in line-such as

A guy in line with a blue tooth and it's 3AM, or thirty something geeks with

their jerseys tucked into their chinos(with athletic shoes and white socks)

Point is it's all good. you're all there for FOOTBALL

Funny thing happened last year, on a side note...

this 14 year old kid turns the corner at around 3 am wearing a Ryan Leaf jersey (i didnt even know they made those)

he took about 20 steps towards the line and was heckled so much, he turned and sprinted away, never to be seen again (at least with that jersey on)

Moral: If your gonna sport a LEAF jersey, you better be prepared to deal with the heckling, and have some heckles of your own to shoot back with!!! :shrug:

BAM

I don't remember any coolers. Once you've been there for a while, guys are pretty cool about letting you go grab something to eat/go to the bathroom and get back in line.Just be careful once the NFL puts up actual barriers. If you get out of line at that point, they may force you to the end of the line, even if it's because you're being treated by the paramedics. :thumbup:
That was my friend that they kicked out because he had an anxiety attack :thumbdown: Life on occasion is more important than football!

I don't remember any coolers. Once you've been there for a while, guys are pretty cool about letting you go grab something to eat/go to the bathroom and get back in line.Just be careful once the NFL puts up actual barriers. If you get out of line at that point, they may force you to the end of the line, even if it's because you're being treated by the paramedics. :thumbup:
That was my friend that they kicked out because he had an anxiety attack :thumbup: Life on occasion is more important than football!
When??? :loco: J/K... did your friend get tix for this year so he doesnt have to wait in line?i have my own ticket for this year, but i might wait in line this anyways, becuase i have friend who did not receive his ticket (he was there with me the whole time, and submitted his day 2 diehard form at the same time as mine) and he has to wait in line... so if i wait in line again, i may have an extra... not for sure if im going to yet, but i may.BAM

Bump. Any FBGs have plans for meeting up at an ungodly hour to stand in line together for the wristbands? I did not go last year, but went in 2006. I will be getting into town tomorrow.

Also any tips on restaurants (and bathrooms) near Radio City?

fossdboss said:
Bump. Any FBGs have plans for meeting up at an ungodly hour to stand in line together for the wristbands? I did not go last year, but went in 2006. I will be getting into town tomorrow.Also any tips on restaurants (and bathrooms) near Radio City?
Im not a New Yorker, so i have no idea about any restaurants, but there is a McDonnald's two blocks down Ave of the America's, which has a bathroom... and hamburgers if your crazy enough to eat them...Last year we got out of day one so late that the only restaurant open (like midnight) was the Olive Garden on timesquare, which i was not thrilled about... but, it turns out they have a very nice restaurant up there (if you overlook the food).it's a second floor place and you have pretty much a 180-230 (im not good with angles) degree view of timesquare... pretty sweet.That bieng said, in Manhattan, i am sure there are plenty of better places to eat, and frankly since i have tickets this year, i am going to find one :)i missed the earlier posts regarding the wristbands and whatnot... it appears that things will be a bit different this year, with the draft starting afternoon and all... i cant imagine wating from midnight until 10 am for a wristband... maybe it means you could get in line later than before???and whats up with these wristbands... its not even assigned seating??Oh well... since things are working out to be so much different... not sure how much good i am anymore :violin: hahahBAM

I really don't know what time I plan on showing up. Can't figure what the best move is.

Part of me wants to take a nap after the Hornets game and then try to hit the line at about 2am.

Part of me also wants to eat a couple of tabs right after the Hornets game and just "wing it."

Well, this will be the first time in 5 Years running that I've missed being there live for Day 1...

...just so happens it's my Easter (Eastern Orthodox Christian), so just a lil bit o' a conflict there.

However, Easter's over after Midnight Mass tonight...

...and I'll be catching a 5:30 AM Train from DC to Manhattan on Sunday AM!!!

Day 1 is Day 1...

...but Day 2 is for Diehards!!!

Bumping this old thread because this was all I could find. If there is something more up to date you could point me that way...

Anyone attend this years draft and what was the process for getting in on day 1? Same as in years past or have things changed recently?

I will be booking my plane tickets next month and finding a room on Airbnb.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Bumping this old thread because this was all I could find. If there is something more up to date you could point me that way... Anyone attend this years draft and what was the process for getting in on day 1? Same as in years past or have things changed recently? I will be booking my plane tickets next month and finding a room on Airbnb. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
I don't know what the process is exactly, but I saw a tweet from Rich Risen Wednesday night about the line outside Radio City. So I'm guessing the process is similar to previous years. But how it works exactly now I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread