What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

how many people play fantasy football? (1 Viewer)

I'm Rick James

Footballguy
Does anyone know how many people play fanatasy football?

Just curious as to how high the number is now.

I did a google search and have seen from as low as 13 million to as high as 19 million. I thought there were more.

Does anyone know how many people play fanatasy football?Just curious as to how high the number is now.I did a google search and have seen from as low as 13 million to as high as 19 million. I thought there were more.
Latest numbers I heard last summer were 15-20 Million fantasy players, with >80% in fantasy football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets get a count, I'll start.

10 leagues,

16 family

5 freinds

15 co-workers

13 public strangers

Bunches of FBG Survivor league guys

I think any stat will be skewed grossly.

First, do you count a yahoo free league as a fantasy player? I don't

Do you consider 1 player playing in multiple leagues as 1 or how many leagues that person plays in.

Stictly speaking Fantasy Football, I'd find it hard to believe that 5% of our population in the US plays fantasy football. It is estimated that 30million watch football.

I'd would guess that 5 million individuals or less are involved in a competitive for money league, and the target market is males 18-35. Not saying women or people outside that age range don't also play.

I think any stat will be skewed grossly.First, do you count a yahoo free league as a fantasy player? I don'tDo you consider 1 player playing in multiple leagues as 1 or how many leagues that person plays in.Stictly speaking Fantasy Football, I'd find it hard to believe that 5% of our population in the US plays fantasy football. It is estimated that 30million watch football.I'd would guess that 5 million individuals or less are involved in a competitive for money league, and the target market is males 18-35. Not saying women or people outside that age range don't also play.
You guys in the US tend to ignore the rest of the world. Here in Germany I guess we have about 60'000 to 80'000 players and I know guys in the UK, Australia and Italy also playing fantasy football. If you summ up the non-US players I could imagine that you come up with 500'000 to 600'000 players.

I think family leagues defy the all male typical age bracket.

Also, there a lot of women that think they know more than the men around them, even about football.

16 family league 4 female, Ages 27 - 64

Kids league Ages 10 - 14 (my nephews)

Nothing like crushing yo mama in the playoffs and a cry, cry, cry chant phone call.

More importantly, how many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?

UW72 said:
thehobbit said:
I think any stat will be skewed grossly.First, do you count a yahoo free league as a fantasy player? I don'tDo you consider 1 player playing in multiple leagues as 1 or how many leagues that person plays in.Stictly speaking Fantasy Football, I'd find it hard to believe that 5% of our population in the US plays fantasy football. It is estimated that 30million watch football.I'd would guess that 5 million individuals or less are involved in a competitive for money league, and the target market is males 18-35. Not saying women or people outside that age range don't also play.
You guys in the US tend to ignore the rest of the world. Here in Germany I guess we have about 60'000 to 80'000 players and I know guys in the UK, Australia and Italy also playing fantasy football. If you summ up the non-US players I could imagine that you come up with 500'000 to 600'000 players.
Hey - your commas are upside down. They should look like this: 500,000 to 600,000. NOT 500'000. And you wonder why we ignore the rest of the world.Edit to add: I know 44 people (in real life, not on-line) that play fantasy football.

UW72 said:
thehobbit said:
Hey - your commas are upside down. They should look like this: 500,000 to 600,000. NOT 500'000. And you wonder why we ignore the rest of the world.Edit to add: I know 44 people (in real life, not on-line) that play fantasy football.
:goodposting: about the commas (',)I am in 3 money leagues (24 team' 12 team' 10 team)Taking out common players in the leagues' it,s 41 players just in my 3 leagues. I know many others that play also.I like this new comma thing' it,s kinda cool. Do we change apostrophes too? You do have to re-train yourself how to type though.

Kenlin said:
King of the Wolfies said:
thehobbit said:
the target market is males 18-35. Not saying women or people outside that age range don't also play.
:whistle:
I agree with the King. I think you need to add about 10 years on to each end of your range and you will be closer to the target market.
you guys need to read the definition of a target market. ;) (yes, i play and i don't fall within the "target market" )here's an older thread with some figures.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...175&hl=CNBC

60000 to 80000 players from Germany?Tell me where to find them...
on www.fantasy-football.deor on www.footballforum.deOK, the numbers maybe to high but I know at least 20 personally who play and when I calculate up to everyone who joined NFLE games or games of the GFL It will be somewhere about 50'000.

60000 to 80000 players from Germany?Tell me where to find them...
on www.fantasy-football.deor on www.footballforum.deOK, the numbers maybe to high but I know at least 20 personally who play and when I calculate up to everyone who joined NFLE games or games of the GFL It will be somewhere about 50'000.
You forgot to mention nfl-talk.net. :goodposting: I still think the number is way to high. 6000 to 8000 sounds more realistic to me, even though the number of players is rising from year to year.

Users who are viewing this thread