What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PDSL2 - Cap'n Pasquino's 16 (1 Viewer)

AddaiS. SmithWittenThanks for the 4 spot Jeff. Steve Smith has been slipping in most drafts and is as good of a candidate for a top 5 finish as any of the over guys outside of TO and possibly Moss. I think the Cats have added the WRs that will compliment him. I was shocked to see Witten fall to 3.4. He's the top TE on my board because of lack of risk.
4 spot looks MONEY for these. Nicely done. I'm ready to draft. Let's roll fellas.
I had Smith, AJ, and Fitz cued up for 2.13. Thought Duke would grab Smith. Was definately hoping all the TEs would be on the board. There are 4 that I wouldn't mind having and I knew that one would survive the three guys behind me.

3.07 Brandon Marshall WR DEN

would it be too much to ask to put picks up with round and such rather than..............

WOW...another gift. I'll take Witten. Someone please pm next...out the door now.

Last edited by a moderator:
3.07 Brandon Marshall WR DEN

would it be too much to ask to put picks up with round and such rather than..............

WOW...another gift. I'll take Witten. Someone please pm next...out the door now.
Sorry, I usually color code and bold them. Was running late and figured you'd rather have the pick then wait until I got back 2.5 hrs later.

AddaiS. SmithWittenThanks for the 4 spot Jeff. Steve Smith has been slipping in most drafts and is as good of a candidate for a top 5 finish as any of the over guys outside of TO and possibly Moss. I think the Cats have added the WRs that will compliment him. I was shocked to see Witten fall to 3.4. He's the top TE on my board because of lack of risk.
Westbrook/Andre Johnson/Chad Johnson....I'll go toe to toe with your start anytime :tinfoilhat:I agree though...not sure why Smith is slipping as far as he is (or Ocho Cinco)

Westbrook/Andre Johnson/Chad Johnson....I'll go toe to toe with your start anytime :lmao:I agree though...not sure why Smith is slipping as far as he is (or Ocho Cinco)
kinda pointless to compare these anyway, right? i mean these drafts are won in the later rounds barring any brady/moss '07 type combos, right?

Westbrook/Andre Johnson/Chad Johnson....I'll go toe to toe with your start anytime :bye:I agree though...not sure why Smith is slipping as far as he is (or Ocho Cinco)
I was doing some research on Chad last night expecting Smith/AJ/Fitz to be gone. You can't argue with the consistancy of his numbers. Very safe pick to finish in the 3-7 range.I wouldn't trade rosters with you heads up, but I would have been very happy with the same start.

Westbrook/Andre Johnson/Chad Johnson....I'll go toe to toe with your start anytime :bye:I agree though...not sure why Smith is slipping as far as he is (or Ocho Cinco)
kinda pointless to compare these anyway, right? i mean these drafts are won in the later rounds barring any brady/moss '07 type combos, right?
Don't really agree...I've seen Fred dominate a league with LT out of the gate and Owens at the 2/3 turn. I also think that you can paint yourself into a corner with your early round selections.

Westbrook/Andre Johnson/Chad Johnson....I'll go toe to toe with your start anytime :thumbup:I agree though...not sure why Smith is slipping as far as he is (or Ocho Cinco)
Don't really agree...I've seen Fred dominate a league with LT out of the gate and Owens at the 2/3 turn. I also think that you can paint yourself into a corner with your early round selections.
It's usually tough drafting later for these exact reasons. It's generally difficult to make up the deficit between LT/Westbrook and the #10-14 RB. I welcome the challenge, but acknowledge that it's there. and yes, you can paint yourself into a corner early.

Okay, going a different route then I thought I'd be, but only b/c I didn't think this guy would be available 40 picks into the draft.

3.08: RB - Jamal Lewis

Will PM next guy.

Okay, going a different route then I thought I'd be, but only b/c I didn't think this guy would be available 40 picks into the draft.

3.08: RB - Jamal Lewis

Will PM next guy.
Ah boo, you got my guy. I'll finish off the top tier TE's for everyone though.3.09: Tony Gonzalez, TE, KC

BassNBrew said:
renesauz said:
BassNBrew said:
Westbrook/Andre Johnson/Chad Johnson....I'll go toe to toe with your start anytime :kicksrock: I agree though...not sure why Smith is slipping as far as he is (or Ocho Cinco)
I was doing some research on Chad last night expecting Smith/AJ/Fitz to be gone. You can't argue with the consistancy of his numbers. Very safe pick to finish in the 3-7 range.I wouldn't trade rosters with you heads up, but I would have been very happy with the same start.
Historically I agree with you, but there's a decent chance that Chad's a problem child this year. He might even hold out. That risk is tough to take on in your Top 3 picks.That said, RB-WR-WR feels like a good play like usual at the start of these drafts.

2.07 DeAngelo Williams, "THE" RB, CAROLINA PANTHERS

PM'ing next.
I hope you're right, but I think you just burned a pick.
You a Panthers fan? I still believe in this kid. His production puts him on par with Maroney. 5 YPC vs LM's 4.5, and he likely gets alot of Foster's 247 carries. This equates to BIG TIME production. Granted there's a small chance a rookie comes in, but even then, it's safe to assume when healthy, he's Carolina's main man and 250 carries is expected.
I'm sure he would have been available in the 3rd round for you and possibily the 4th. You're going to need him to really light it up to make up for the lost value.

Not the way I planned, but I can't pass on the value. I don't like taking older RBs, but he should be good for another year.

4.03 Edgerin James RB ARI

Road Warriors said:
3.13 Greg Jennings WR GB
Gamma1210 said:
3.15: WR - Donald Driver

PMing
I'd be interested in some discussion of these picks. Driver going after Jennings is interesting, I assume it's the "Rodgers loved Jennings when he played this year" effect. Both going in the third round is also interesting - it seems like there's very little discount considering their HoF QB just retired.

Road Warriors said:
3.13 Greg Jennings WR GB
Gamma1210 said:

PMing
I'd be interested in some discussion of these picks. Driver going after Jennings is interesting, I assume it's the "Rodgers loved Jennings when he played this year" effect. Both going in the third round is also interesting - it seems like there's very little discount considering their HoF QB just retired.
:confused: That's not it.. Jennings ADP in the WSL 1-3 was 17th WR taken Driver was 26.7!!!!

I drafted Jennings at wr 19 in WSL 2 and I agree with the overall downgrade without Farve...

I thought Driver was great value at 26.7 though with Farve.

Road Warriors said:
3.13 Greg Jennings WR GB
Gamma1210 said:

PMing
:goodposting: That's not it.. Jennings ADP in the WSL 1-3 was 17th WR taken Driver was 26.7!!!!

I drafted Jennings at wr 19 in WSL 2 and I agree with the overall downgrade without Farve...

I ike Jennings a lot for the future, but when most of his FF points were due to TDs and his QB (arguably best QB ever) retired, leaving him a starter with no real experience, I wouldn't go near him in a redraft this early.

Road Warriors said:
3.13 Greg Jennings WR GB
Gamma1210 said:

PMing
:goodposting: That's not it.. Jennings ADP in the WSL 1-3 was 17th WR taken Driver was 26.7!!!!

I ike Jennings a lot for the future, but when most of his FF points were due to TDs and his QB (arguably best QB ever) retired, leaving him a starter with no real experience, I wouldn't go near him in a redraft this early.
Best. Ball.

PM'ing next.
You a Panthers fan? I still believe in this kid. His production puts him on par with Maroney. 5 YPC vs LM's 4.5, and he likely gets alot of Foster's 247 carries. This equates to BIG TIME production. Granted there's a small chance a rookie comes in, but even then, it's safe to assume when healthy, he's Carolina's main man and 250 carries is expected.
I'm sure he would have been available in the 3rd round for you and possibily the 4th. You're going to need him to really light it up to make up for the lost value.
I'll talk more about this after the draft, but my rationale was he would certainly NOT be available for me in the 4th and a slight chance I miss him in the 3rd. My strategy going in was WR, RB, QB and he was a player I didn't want to risk losing out on by going WR, QB, RB.

Road Warriors said:
3.13 Greg Jennings WR GB
Gamma1210 said:

PMing

Best. Ball.
Do you think Jennings comes close to last year's stats - including TDs?With Favre, I would easily take him before this, with Rodgers... maybe in the late 4th, early 5th?

Road Warriors said:
3.13 Greg Jennings WR GB
Gamma1210 said:

PMing
:thumbdown: That's not it.. Jennings ADP in the WSL 1-3 was 17th WR taken Driver was 26.7!!!!

Best. Ball.
Do you think Jennings comes close to last year's stats - including TDs?With Favre, I would easily take him before this, with Rodgers... maybe in the late 4th, early 5th?
Haven't done projections for him yet, but I would think that his big game abillities would have him a bit higher than Driver, who seems to be more of the possession guy at this point in his career. I still like Driver, but I think that the chances of Driver's numbers to increase are better than Jennings (simply because of the few TDs for Driver last year).Jennings has the ability to put up some bigger games, probably more so than Driver at this point. However GB is likely to run more and throw less as part of their offense next year, so I'd think Jennings is more likely to have less stats than 2007.

So I'm saying more that this format (Best Ball) favors a bigger play WR like Jennings than a steady WR like Driver - but both are certainly WR2 material. It would greatly depends on the rest of your team's roster as to which was the better fit.

PM'ing next.
I'll talk more about this after the draft, but my rationale was he would certainly NOT be available for me in the 4th and a slight chance I miss him in the 3rd. My strategy going in was WR, RB, QB and he was a player I didn't want to risk losing out on by going WR, QB, RB.
You took Williams at 23. He went at 52 in League 3. He's still on the board in League 1 and League 4 (both through 51 picks).Whether he would have made it back to you or not, he's going to have to do a lot to be worth the #23 pick.

PM'ing next.
If it makes you feel better, I probably would have taken him instead of Edge.

PM'ing next.
You took Williams at 23. He went at 52 in League 3. He's still on the board in League 1 and League 4 (both through 51 picks).Whether he would have made it back to you or not, he's going to have to do a lot to be worth the #23 pick.
very riskyI know TL has super man love for DeAngelo.

I think he drafted him on every one of his SL teams last year.

He will get his shot, so we'll see

Road Warriors said:
3.13 Greg Jennings WR GB
Gamma1210 said:

PMing
:) That's not it.. Jennings ADP in the WSL 1-3 was 17th WR taken Driver was 26.7!!!!

Best. Ball.
Haven't done projections for him yet, but I would think that his big game abillities would have him a bit higher than Driver, who seems to be more of the possession guy at this point in his career. I still like Driver, but I think that the chances of Driver's numbers to increase are better than Jennings (simply because of the few TDs for Driver last year).Jennings has the ability to put up some bigger games, probably more so than Driver at this point. However GB is likely to run more and throw less as part of their offense next year, so I'd think Jennings is more likely to have less stats than 2007.

So I'm saying more that this format (Best Ball) favors a bigger play WR like Jennings than a steady WR like Driver - but both are certainly WR2 material. It would greatly depends on the rest of your team's roster as to which was the better fit.
I'm not arguing Jennings vs. Driver, I'd avoid both at this spot although I'd take GJ first. I'm very happy Holmes fell and Jennings was taken - same logic you just stated.

PM'ing next.

Not trying to turn this into a "Justify DWill that early thread", but at RB18, an up and comer with young, fresh legs, will always get the nod from me in this format, rather than an unknown with competition (Turner), a couple of old backs approaching 30 (Edge/Jamal/Graham) or a Rookie. In Survivor, its WIN or go home. An injury week can kill you. In all fairness, these were the only backs available to take, and much of this "DWILL" strategy was formed when I took Moss in the first. Sure, I thought there was a chance I might get lucky and snag a Maroney, but I'm hopefully gaining on everyone's WR1, so I can afford to give a little back to my RB1 WITH tremendous upside. DWill finished RB29 and Foster RB30 last year. DWill did it with only 144 carries while Foster had 230. Those carries have to go somewhere, and while I'm sure a vet is coming to help, I think we see a flip / flop in 2008, with DWill getting the 230 and yet to be named RB with the 144. Another 90 carries puts DWill as a Top 10 back if he continues his average.

TL,

I think what a couple guys are saying is that it is almost a certainty that he would have still been there for you in the next round....not that they think you're nuts for being high on him.

It's almost more of a strategy critique then a rankings critique. Let's say he is worth what you say he is...the #23 pick, but you COULD have had him at #41. Isn't there at least ONE other player (even if a WR or QB) that you thought worthy of a #23/24 pick?

Had you taken that other player, you PROBABLY could have gotten DWill at #41, and had TWO PLAYERS WORTHY OF BEING TAKEN AT #23!!!!

A sleeper pick is not a sleeper pick if he's taken too early...he's an unnecessary gamble. Had you taken that "other #23", the very worst thing that could have happened is that you got a player worthy of being #23....just like you get with DWill IF YOU ARE RIGHT!

FWIW..I happen to agree with you. I think DWill is badly under-rated this year, and I expect he will be worthy of pick #23, but when you are in the far minority, you have to play the odds, and look for better value. Better value is not ALWAYS the best player.

ETA: I'll write more on this later, as I have a couple of players that fall into similar categories, but don't wish to tip my hand too much for THIS draft.

TL,

I think what a couple guys are saying is that it is almost a certainty that he would have still been there for you in the next round....not that they think you're nuts for being high on him.

It's almost more of a strategy critique then a rankings critique. Let's say he is worth what you say he is...the #23 pick, but you COULD have had him at #41. Isn't there at least ONE other player (even if a WR or QB) that you thought worthy of a #23/24 pick?

Had you taken that other player, you PROBABLY could have gotten DWill at #41, and had TWO PLAYERS WORTHY OF BEING TAKEN AT #23!!!!

A sleeper pick is not a sleeper pick if he's taken too early...he's an unnecessary gamble. Had you taken that "other #23", the very worst thing that could have happened is that you got a player worthy of being #23....just like you get with DWill IF YOU ARE RIGHT!

FWIW..I happen to agree with you. I think DWill is badly under-rated this year, and I expect he will be worthy of pick #23, but when you are in the far minority, you have to play the odds, and look for better value. Better value is not ALWAYS the best player.

ETA: I'll write more on this later, as I have a couple of players that fall into similar categories, but don't wish to tip my hand too much for THIS draft.
Good stuff and I agree whole heartedly with your analysis, however what's missing is my fundamental strategy of my first 3 picks. WR, RB, QB. If I replace that with WR, QB, RB, it doesn't change anything. Peyton and Brady were already off the board, so ROMO was my guy here in the 3rd. To take him in the 2nd and RISK losing out on my top rated RB didn't make sense. I analyzed the winning teams this offseason and found a few things that I'll share after this draft is over.

PM'ing next.

Not trying to turn this into a "Justify DWill that early thread", but at RB18, an up and comer with young, fresh legs, will always get the nod from me in this format, rather than an unknown with competition (Turner), a couple of old backs approaching 30 (Edge/Jamal/Graham) or a Rookie. In Survivor, its WIN or go home. An injury week can kill you. In all fairness, these were the only backs available to take, and much of this "DWILL" strategy was formed when I took Moss in the first. Sure, I thought there was a chance I might get lucky and snag a Maroney, but I'm hopefully gaining on everyone's WR1, so I can afford to give a little back to my RB1 WITH tremendous upside. DWill finished RB29 and Foster RB30 last year. DWill did it with only 144 carries while Foster had 230. Those carries have to go somewhere, and while I'm sure a vet is coming to help, I think we see a flip / flop in 2008, with DWill getting the 230 and yet to be named RB with the 144. Another 90 carries puts DWill as a Top 10 back if he continues his average.
I could care less who you (or anyone else) picks . . . this is not even my league.But running the numbers, Williams had 139 fantasy points in this format. Adding 90 carries at his lifetime 4.6 ypc = + 41.4 fantasy points. That would have given him 180 points and would have ranked him 18th. But last year was not a great year for RB production, and that total would have ranked 26th in 2006. Also, Carolina has ranked bottom 5 in rushing TD the last two years. Maybe that will change this year, but they have a long way to go to having a great running game in CAR.

PM'ing next.

I could care less who you (or anyone else) picks . . . this is not even my league.But running the numbers, Williams had 139 fantasy points in this format. Adding 90 carries at his lifetime 4.6 ypc = + 41.4 fantasy points. That would have given him 180 points and would have ranked him 18th. But last year was not a great year for RB production, and that total would have ranked 26th in 2006. Also, Carolina has ranked bottom 5 in rushing TD the last two years. Maybe that will change this year, but they have a long way to go to having a great running game in CAR.
Flawed when you don't account for TDs or receptions with the additional playing time, but your point about Carolina production is valid.

PM'ing next.

Flawed when you don't account for TDs or receptions with the additional playing time, but your point about Carolina production is valid.
What do you forsee DWill producing this year (carries/yardage/TD/receptions/yardage/TD)?

What do you forsee DWill producing this year (carries/yardage/TD/receptions/yardage/TD)?
I'll be releasing that information with my RB BOOM and BUST picks later this month.
Looking forward to it...love seeing thoughts outside the mainstream. Again...it isn't the pick, but the timing of the pick I would question. Taking him where you did means you HAVE to be right just to keep pace, instead of letting BEING RIGHT put you AHEAD of the pace.Maybe you couldn't have had both Romo and DWill if you'd waited, but you can't convince me that you're getting better value this way. Sounds (and looks) like you're trying to force the draft to fit your desires(favorite players, whatever), instead of letting the draft come to you and finding the value plays.

I'll be releasing that information with my RB BOOM and BUST picks later this month.
Looking forward to it...love seeing thoughts outside the mainstream. Again...it isn't the pick, but the timing of the pick I would question. Taking him where you did means you HAVE to be right just to keep pace, instead of letting BEING RIGHT put you AHEAD of the pace.Maybe you couldn't have had both Romo and DWill if you'd waited, but you can't convince me that you're getting better value this way. Sounds (and looks) like you're trying to force the draft to fit your desires(favorite players, whatever), instead of letting the draft come to you and finding the value plays.
All I was trying to figure out was what DWill has to do to be worth the #23 pick. And based on what the Panthers RBs have produced in recent years, he would either need a huge chunk of the workload and/or a huge jump in production.In 6 years with Fox as HC, CAR has averaged:14th in rushing attempts20th in rushing yards21st in rushing TD23rd in rushing yards per attemptThat would be my concern as a Williams owner, no matter where he was drafted for fantasy purposes. If he ends up splitting time, I have a hard time taking him as my #2 pick in a 16 team league. If he doesn't, IMO the best he could do is break even based on his draft position. As others have mentioned, if he was taken in the 5th round (which is where he seems to be going in the other PDSL leagues), he at least has some upside if he pans out and limited risk if he doesn't.

Road Warriors said:
3.13 Greg Jennings WR GB
Gamma1210 said:

PMing
:lmao: That's not it.. Jennings ADP in the WSL 1-3 was 17th WR taken Driver was 26.7!!!!

I wanted Holmes at my pick but he went right before so I decided to go with Driver because I think his TDs last year were an outlier. I personally like Rodgers and think the team will let him throw (not as much as Favre but enough). I like Driver to finish above his ADP that I had him, and even though I took him a little early, he would not have made it to the end of the 5th. That is a disadvantage of being on either end of the draft, if you really want someone, you have to reach. He doesn't have as much upside as say Evans, but he also should be scoring for me every week.

Users who are viewing this thread