What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2008 Cubs bandwagon. All aboard! *** (2 Viewers)

Night Hawks

Footballguy
Unless I missed it elsewhere. :angry:

Here we go!!! Where all my Cub fans at?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at the game on MSN and they have Sheets batting 8th and Kendall 9th is that right?

I'll jump on board. But i'll jump back off when they face the Blue Jays in the World Series :thumbup:

As a Cardinal fan I was all set to crow about how the Redbirds thumped the reigning NL champs and the Cubs choked to the Brewers....but then the damn game got rained out (one of the 64 we were going to win this year) and reality set in again.

Night Hawks said:
Unless I missed it elsewhere. :mellow: Here we go!!! Where all my Cub fans at?
:hey: Still here, and ready for the season.Tough loss today.Ramirez had best quit being a lazy ### and go after every popup he can. :thumbdown: to ####u.

Game two starts in a few hours. :unsure:

Ted Lilly (0-0) vs. Jeff Suppan (0-0)

After sparring in a scoreless game for eight innings on Monday, both teams put three runs on the board against their opponents' supposed closers in the 9th inning. The Brewers, however, managed to score in the top of the 10th and made a strong debut from Kosuke ####udome (3-for-3, 3-run homer in the 9th innning) and a solid pitching effort from Carlos Zambrano (6.2 IP, 0 R, 5 K) go for naught. Lilly is coming off a solid first season with the Cubs (15-8, 3.83 ERA) and is one of two lefties in the starting rotation. Suppan is also beginning his second season with his team and went 12-12 in a season during which the Brewers finished just two games behind the Cubs for the NL Central title.

Not sure how I missed this one, but I'm in and ready to go. :pickle:

Looking for a nice rebound today, hopefully Lilly can give 7 strong innings and our bats can wake up before the 9 inning today. I will say 5-2 Cubs win.

Yowza. Yet another clunker from the offense.
Is it overreacting to say I just threw up in my mouth? At this rate I'll be walking around naked with a radio in one hand and an empty bottle of tequila jammed in one of my eye sockets to take away the pain before the month is over.

Can we get some sort of extended spring training clause? Soto just tried to frame a pitch by moving the glove out of the strike zone. Jeez.

Game 3

Ryan Dempster (0-0) vs. Dave Bush (0-0) 1:20 p.m. CST

As Cubs fans are put on suicide watch - relax, it's not that bad yet - Dempster makes his return as a starting pitcher, nearly three years after his last start after serving as the Cubs closer for the last three years. His best year as a starter was with the Marlins in 2000 when he went 14-10 with a 3.66 ERA. Meanwhile, Bush will make his season debut as the Brewers try to sweep the season-opening NL Central series. In Wednesday's game, the Cubs bats were once again silent while the Brewers struck as early as possible with Rickie Weeks leading off the game with his first home run of the season. The Brewers belted out 14 hits in the 8-2 victory as left fielder Ryan Braun and Jason Kendall has three hits apiece. For the Cubs, Derrek Lee had two extra-base hits with a double and his first home run of the season. Geovany Soto also homered.

Nice win today. :heart: Nice to put one in the left hand column. Much better all around than yesterday's game. Yesterday's loss was pathetic. just horrible fundamentals, making mistakes 12 year olds make.

It looks like a nice weekend of weather in Chicago for the Astro's series.

Let's see if they can take at least 2 of 3.

Nice win yesterday. Dempster looked sharp. Tough error on ####udome.

Game 4

Chicago Cubs (1-2) vs. Houston Astros (1-3)

Rich Hill (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. Chris Sampson (0-0, 0.00 ERA) 1:20 p.m. CST

The Cubs took the final game of the Brewers series Thursday behind 6 strong innings from former closer Ryan Dempster (1-0). He allowed just one earned run on three hits and Kerry Wood rebounded from his Opening Day struggle to pitch a perfect ninth inning and earn his first save. Alfonso Soriano, who moved back to the leadoff spot after two games in the No. 2 hole, had a hit and 2 RBI and was one of four Cubs to steal a base in the 6-3 win. The Cubs face another NL Central team as their season-opening homestand continues. Sampson has fared well against the Cubs during his young career. The third-year starter is 2-0 with a 0.60 ERA against them in his career. Although he had an erratic spring, Hill is coming off his best season as a Cub. He finished 2007 11-8 with a 3.92 ERA.

I threw some money on the Cubs today and while working in the yard I have the game on xm radio. First off xm radio is freaking awesome I can listen to any game I want or record it and listen later. Anyway this is the first time I have heard the Cubs home radio broadcast. These guys are funny. When something goes wrong it is like their mother died and when they take the lead you would think they won the world series. I am :eek: listening to these guys. Seems like there is no in between they are way low or way to high emotionally during the game.

:lmao: there they go again "oh man, oh, oh, oh man" :lmao:

Nice to see the offense explode on Oswalt without much from Soriano or Ramirez. I really question why Marquis is the fifth starter and why Marshall is in the minors and not #5. Wood did that easily but Marmol did the hard work. Really looking like it could be a great 1-2 punch at the back end.

Nice to see the offense explode on Oswalt without much from Soriano or Ramirez. I really question why Marquis is the fifth starter and why Marshall is in the minors and not #5. Wood did that easily but Marmol did the hard work. Really looking like it could be a great 1-2 punch at the back end.
:goodposting: Marmol is as shut down as shut down can be and like you say if Wood can get going that's huge to end the games.

I threw some money on the Cubs today and while working in the yard I have the game on xm radio. First off xm radio is freaking awesome I can listen to any game I want or record it and listen later. Anyway this is the first time I have heard the Cubs home radio broadcast. These guys are funny. When something goes wrong it is like their mother died and when they take the lead you would think they won the world series. I am :lmao: listening to these guys. Seems like there is no in between they are way low or way to high emotionally during the game.

:lmao: there they go again "oh man, oh, oh, oh man" :lmao:
Click

I threw some money on the Cubs today and while working in the yard I have the game on xm radio. First off xm radio is freaking awesome I can listen to any game I want or record it and listen later. Anyway this is the first time I have heard the Cubs home radio broadcast. These guys are funny. When something goes wrong it is like their mother died and when they take the lead you would think they won the world series. I am :lmao: listening to these guys. Seems like there is no in between they are way low or way to high emotionally during the game. :lmao: there they go again "oh man, oh, oh, oh man" :lmao:
If it's Ron Santo doing commentary, it's comedy gold. Love listening to those broadcasts.

Emerson Biggens said:
boubucarow said:
:unsure: Marmol is as shut down as shut down can be and like you say if Wood can get going that's huge to end the games.
Also, I actually think Wuertz should be the 3rd reliever in front of those two. What I would love to see is Howry take the 7th, Wuertz the 8th, and Wood the 9th. Marmol comes in to shut the door on the biggest threat from the 6th to the 8th. Managers never run their bullpen that way but I would love to see it.

Nice game Lee and ####u. I really enjoy watching ####u play, very very fundamentally sound. He's a true baseball plater, not just a good athlete without a brain.

I too would like to see Marshall or even Lieber in the fifth spot in the rotation.

I would like Howry to get straightened out, and Soriano out of his horrible slump.

Also, as much as I'd like to give Pie a real opportunity, I like what Reed Johnson brings to the table.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, let's see if we can't take this series and start from scratch again.

Game 6

Chicago Cubs (2-3) vs. Houston Astros (2-4)

Carlos Zambrano (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. Brandon Backe (0-1, 3.60 ERA)

The Cubs offense broke out big late in Saturday's game behind four hits from Derek Lee and a clutch, 2-run double by Kosuke ####udome in a 5-run seventh inning. The Cubs trailed 5-2 in the sixth inning before they scored seven runs in the next three innings and beat Houston's ace, Roy Oswalt, 9-7. Jason Marquis struggled in his season debut but the cause for concern could be Bob Howry. He gave up two runs in just a third of an inning. Howry has now been scored upon in all three of his outings and sports a 16.88 ERA. Zambrano returns to the mound after getting a no decision on Opening Day.

Back to even. Marmol and Wood finish off the game with 3 strikeouts and no hits allowed in the 8th and 9th in a one run game. Glad Zambrano got the win.

Users who are viewing this thread