Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pick

Navy Seals get drowned in training.

164 posts in this topic

Training to be a Navy Seal involves being drowned and revived 4 times. Is this true?

Wouldn't that be near-drowned?

Training to be a Navy Seal involves being drowned and revived 4 times. Is this true?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

That sounds a little excessive.

Found this...

Another important part of basic conditioning is drown-proofing. In this evolution, trainees must learn to swim with both their hands and their feet bound. To pass drown-proofing, trainees enter a 9-foot-deep pool and complete the following steps with their hands and feet tied:

bob for 5 minutes

float for 5 minutes

swim 100 meters

bob for 2 minutes

do some forward and backward flips

swim to the bottom of the pool and retrieve an object with their teeth

return to the surface and bob five more times

linky

No way

A HS friend of mine is a Navy Seal. One time over a few beers, he told me that he had died 2 times. I thought he was messing around, and went on to explain that it was part of swimming training. I didn't believe him. But he was adamant about it.

Another evolution is surf torture, also called "cold water conditioning." The water temperatures usually hover around 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18 C), and never go above 68 degrees F (20 C).

:lmao:These guys have obviously never swam in Lake Michigan in May.:lmao:

It seems to me to be a huge liability. I mean, I'm sure it happens all the time on accident. But on purpose? :lmao:

Military Channel often has a show about SEAL training. Haven't seen all the episodes, but haven't seen anything about drowning the trainees.

That is the only way to become immortal, no?

In Denver, we have SEALS that can swim really fast and do flips completely out of the water. They can also catch a fish with their teeth, balance a ball on their head and even honk horns. They're really really good. I can see why they consider themselves Elite.

Joking aside, you're a ####### stud if you can complete that training. It's crazy. Not only do you have to be in incredible shape, you also have to be proficient at a number of different skills.

from what my brother told me about ranger/special forces training, i completly buy the drowing 4 times thing

I've seen the shows and I'm impressed. But there's no way they do the drowning on purpose thing, right? Drown a guy, use CPR to bring him back, then do it again? That just sounds like a huge lawsuit to me.

I doubt it's mandated that you have to die 4 times, but I can see the usefulness of doing something like that. If you know the point of no return exactly, then you know how far you can really go in a mission situation.

Joking aside, you're a ####### stud if you can complete that training. It's crazy. Not only do you have to be in incredible shape, you also have to be proficient at a number of different skills.

:goodposting:

Military Channel often has a show about SEAL training. Haven't seen all the episodes, but haven't seen anything about drowning the trainees.

I've seen some of these shows, but never the entire series. IIRC, it was done about 7 or 8 years ago, but I agree, those SEALS/Rangers/Green Berets/Recon Marines/AF rescue jumpers are a bunch of tough MOFOs.

:thumbup:
The mental is the toughest part

I've had multiple friends that used to be SEALS. They have told me many training stories about training (not of actual deployed events) and no one ever mentioned being drowned. They have mentioned nearly bursting their ear drums in some pressure chamber though, but that's not nearly as cool as being drowned.

I used to read books about the SEALs and the training. I would not be the least bit surprised at this.

I've seen some of these shows, but never the entire series. IIRC, it was done about 7 or 8 years ago, but I agree, those SEALS/Rangers/Green Berets/Recon Marines/AF rescue jumpers are a bunch of tough MOFOs.
I used to be in Special Ops (Psychological Operations), and those guys are BAD MOFOs.I'd rank them, in terms of toughness and stuff they endure in training, like this:SEALSGreen BeretsRecon MarinesAF Rescue JumpersSOARRangersPSYOPCivil Affairs

If I told you, I'd have to kill you.
he's a Jazz fan. tell him.

It's absolutely true. Well, at least once, I don't know about 4 times.

I was just talking with two of my buddies who are Marine Special Forces Recon. They went through it, it's part their water training.

One told me he was hit with a black jack from behind, driven around an island in circles so he didn't know where he was, beaten for a day and a half, tied up and told he had 20 minutes to escape. The second he walked out of the building .50 cal rounds went off all around him and humvees ripped over hills. He said it was good times.

SOAR

What is this? Never heard of them.

...and the way they swept in and killed OBL & Mullah Omar was AWESOME.

Oh yeah, keep "training" guys. THAT's helpful...

I'd rank them, in terms of toughness and stuff they endure in training, like this:

What about Delta Force?

It's absolutely true. Well, at least once, I don't know about 4 times. I was just talking with two of my buddies who are Marine Special Forces Recon. They went through it, it's part their water training. One told me he was hit with a black jack from behind, driven around an island in circles so he didn't know where he was, beaten for a day and a half, tied up and told he had 20 minutes to escape. The second he walked out of the building .50 cal rounds went off all around him and humvees ripped over hills. He said it was good times.

Jesus Christ.

this is very true, im not sure about the amount of times but they do drown you and revive you. Its done to let the trainee experience near death and give him the ability to maintain his composure. Same reason why all military recruits are gassed and why correctional officers are pepper sprayed.

Seals are the most elite force out there, how could you not expect something like this?

...and the way they swept in and killed OBL & Mullah Omar was AWESOME. Oh yeah, keep "training" guys. THAT's helpful...

You're unbelievable.

SOAR

Ooops.Just kidding. They're the air wing that supports SOF.There is one group tougher than all mentioned in this thread, but um, we shouldn't discuss them at all.

I'd rank them, in terms of toughness and stuff they endure in training, like this:

What about ?

You would have to be seriously brainwashed to allow yourself to be killed for "training."

The Marines I know talked about a ton of stuff last night, but they said that by far, the toughest, craziest MFers out there were the British SAS. He said you could take a Marine Battalion versus 2 SAS and the Marines would win. But they'd lose half their men in doing so.

He also said that the Israeli special forces are flippin nuts too, they rappel down cliffs facing forwards doing top speed. Unbelievable stuff. These guys are cool ####.

SOAR

Ooops.Just kidding. They're the air wing that supports SOF.There is one group tougher than all mentioned in this thread, but um, we shouldn't discuss them at all.
You just did.

You would have to be seriously brainwashed to allow yourself to be killed for "training."

Not brainwashed, they just don't have the option of saying no.

this is very true, im not sure about the amount of times but they do drown you and revive you. Its done to let the trainee experience near death and give him the ability to maintain his composure. Same reason why all military recruits are gassed and why correctional officers are pepper sprayed.

Seals are the most elite force out there, how could you not expect something like this?

it depends on what you want to do. If you want attack a village along a shoreline/river or take over a ship then the SEALS are the way to go.

You want to have a team that can go and track something through the jungle or organize and train some groups to use gorilla warfare then the GBs are the ones you want.

SEALS can't track anything worth a #### and are notorious for getting their asses lost.

These accounts come directly from a GB that my brother used to work with.

He was a Colonel and had some incrediable stories to tell.