What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (3 Viewers)

Hope everything goes well.
Thank you. Things got moving as the night wore on. Didn't sleep. The second dose I took at 3:30 am really cleared it all out, so as stated above, as tempting as it is, don't skip the last dose. No more liquids for me today..   

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I got through the prep and just stayed awake after the 3:30 am dose until 7 am when my friend picked me up. Kind of cute how people at the surgery center know me by name now. Ha! They asked me 2 different times what the output looked like to make sure it sounds clean in there. Room was like an exam room except with anesthesia and other stuff for the procedure set up. I thought it'd be in the OR but it was on the second floor which is all endoscopy procedures.

Gave me twilight anesthesia so I came to a few times but quickly went back to sleep. In recovery it's always hard for me to wake up from anesthesia. Once up, they gave me a drink of my choice and snacks since I was beyond starved and my stomach was angry. Not near as bad as chemo, but still wasn't pleasant for a long while afterwards.

Gastro came to me as I was waiting for my friend to pick me up and said 1 polyp that they sent to path, and I have diverticulosis. This is caused by a lot of pressure that creates pockets in the colon. I'm betting having the constipation issues that I had where meds didn't even work during chemo is a big culprit. Diverticulitis is when these pockets become infected or inflamed and that comes with sharp pain that doesn't let up. So my lower abdominal discomfort that comes and goes is not intestinal. This leads me back to thinking it must be my uterus that my cancer meds are irritating.

Anyway, just checked my online chart to see what the path says, and it's tubular adenoma. Had to google what that means. Basically it means pre-cancerous tumour. It can quickly grow, multiply and turn cancerous. Gastro wants to re-do procedure in 6 mo - max a year because it wasn't completely clean. There's a possibility that some polyps was missed if they were really small. He'd give me the gallon of can't remember the name, something lite. I thought oh hell no, I'm done. But after reading up on it, I may change my mind in a year. Depends (pun intended) on my mood and what else may be going on with me.

I was just told to increase fiber in my diet, which I have. I'm not about to go vegetarian or vegan..

About to embark on day 1 of colonoscopy prep.  That's right, day 1.  New doc I'm going to believes in 2 day preps so other than some scrambled eggs this morning, nothing but clear liquids and ####ting for me until Monday morning.  Oh, and the wife wants to cover our brand new windows with next day blinds.  I'll need about 15 so looks like Monday won't be the only day I get anally probed. 

About to embark on day 1 of colonoscopy prep.  That's right, day 1.  New doc I'm going to believes in 2 day preps so other than some scrambled eggs this morning, nothing but clear liquids and ####ting for me until Monday morning.  Oh, and the wife wants to cover our brand new windows with next day blinds.  I'll need about 15 so looks like Monday won't be the only day I get anally probed. 
Multiple days?  Yeeks. WTF?  I think he's just peddling the wares of Big Colo-rectal.

Makes zero sense.. Just had my first colonoscopy a couple weeks ago. I didn't even finish the jug of crap inducing liquid and was told that I did a good job of cleaning out.

Only one pulp found which was non-cancerous :thumbup:

Makes zero sense.. Just had my first colonoscopy a couple weeks ago. I didn't even finish the jug of crap inducing liquid and was told that I did a good job of cleaning out.

Only one pulp found which was non-cancerous: thumbup:
Yea, I've had a million of these done and never had to do a 2 day prep before.  I'll ask the doc about it right before I go under.  The prep's not too bad (aside from the ####ting your brains out and no eating), 8oz of Myralax in 32oz of gator-aid each night.

UC sufferer here. Although not so much suffering anymore. No more colon. No more rectum. 4 surgeries 2014 -2016 (2 emergency and 2 planned). Internal J-pouch now after toting an exterior ileostomy bag for 18 months- on both sides. Life if good now, poop normally again albeit more often and usually diarrhea.

I went through many colonoscopies leading up to the colon bursting. Docs would say, "any more scopes are just punching holes in the colon". I endured a failed scope because of "not clean" even though I was blowing clean (mayo clinic jax 2013) and they rescheduled 24 hours later and I had the terrific experience of waking up during the procedure and feeling the scope moving around within me. (It was like living in a David Cronenberg movie).

I went from being extremely ill and nearly having my ticket punched to now a very active, happy lifestyle. I ricocheted from 185lbs to 110lbs and now back again to 185lbs...UC'ers, hang in there and don't let the flares get you down.

Yea, I've had a million of these done and never had to do a 2 day prep before.  I'll ask the doc about it right before I go under.  The prep's not too bad (aside from the ####ting your brains out and no eating), 8oz of Myralax in 32oz of gator-aid each night.
The no eating part was a killer.. Broth and Jello got old fast... I was chewing up Mints like they were... well ... Candy... ;)

You haven’t seen the size of JD’s ###/colon.

:mellow:  

I'm now firmly planted in the suck it up and get it done camp.

Just had my first colonoscopy on 11/20 at age 52.  Neither the prep or procedure was as bad as I made it out to be in my head.  Now to get to why I feel the way I do.

Colonoscopy found a polyp (removed and biopsied, non cancerous). They also found a golf ball sized mass partially obstructing the cecum (pouch where the small and large intestine's come together).  Both the biopsy and CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) blood test results were negative.  Still the mass needs to be surgically removed.  I was not experiencing any symptoms.  I was sent to a GI doc because routine blood tests came back with low hemoglobin and iron levels and a Fecal Occult Blood Test came back positive for blood in the stool (no blood was ever visible).

GI doc ordered CT scans of the Chest and Abdomen/Pelvis afterwards.  CT scan showed a large (9cm x 8.2cm x 7.7 cm) mass on my right kidney.  For comparison sake, an average kidney is about 11.2cm in length, so the mass is very large in relation to the kidney.  I've been referred to a Urologist at the University of Penn to have the mass/kidney removed.  No further testing has been performed.  After talking with some medical people and my own investigation, the mass will not be biopsied as kidney cancers are very mobile and they don't want to disturb it.  From my reading about 80% of such kidney masses are cancerous so I'm approaching this situation with that in mind.  My appointment at Penn is in 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll know more then.  Again, I did not experience any symptoms.  No pain, no blood, normal kidney function test results (4 times over the past year, test as a function of my diabetes).  I expect surgery to remove both the mass and kidney will happen early in 2018.  Kidney cancer, assuming it is cancer, doesn't respond well to chemo or radiation so surgery is the is the normal treatment.  I'll know a lot more after the initial consultation at Penn on 12/28.

i also met with a local Colon Rectal surgeon about the mass in the cecum.  He strongly suggested I go to see a Colon Rectal Surgeon at Penn and try and force the issue to have both surgeries done at the same time.  The appointment with the Colon Rectal guy at Penn is on 12/22.

Moral of the story, get your colonoscopy done when you should, it could keep you healthy.

Cheesey

I'm now firmly planted in the suck it up and get it done camp now.

Just had my first colonoscopy on 11/20 at age 52.  Neither the prep or procedure was as bad as I made it out to be in my head.  Now to get to why I feel the way I do.

Colonoscopy found a polyp (removed and biopsied, non cancerous). They also found a golf ball sized mass partially obstructing the cecum (pouch where the small and large intestine's come together).  Both the biopsy and CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) blood test results were negative.  Still the mass needs to be surgically removed.  I was not experiencing any symptoms.  I was sent to a GI doc because routine blood tests came back with low hemoglobin and iron levels and Fecal Occult Blood Test came back positive for blood in the stool (no blood was ever visible).

GI doc ordered CT scans of the Chest and Abdomen/Pelvis afterwards.  CT scan showed a large (9cm x 8.2cm x 7.7 cm) mass on my right kidney.  For comparison sake, an average kidney is about 11.2cm in length, so the mass is very large in relation to the kidney.  I've been referred to a Urologist at the University of Penn to have the mass/kidney removed.  No further testing has been performed.  After talking with some medical people and my own investigation, the mass will not be biopsied as kidney cancers are very mobile and they don't want to disturb it.  From my reading about 80% of such kidney masses are cancerous so I'm approaching this situation with that in mind.  My appointment at Penn is in 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll know more now.  Again, I did not experience any symptoms.  No pain, no blood, normal kidney function test results (4 times over the past year, test as a function of my diabetes).  I expect surgery to remove both the mass and kidney will happen early in 2018.  Kidney cancer, assuming it is cancer, doesn't respond well to chemo or radiation so surgery is the is the normal treatment.  I'll now a lot more after the initial consultation at Penn on 12/28.

i also met with a local Colon Rectal surgeon about the mass in the cecum.  He strongly suggested I go to see a Colon Rectal Surgeon at Penn and try and force the issue to have both surgeries done at the same time.  The appointment with the Colon Rectal guy at Penn is on 12/22.

Moral of the story, get your colonoscopy done when you should, it could keep you healthy.

Cheesey
T&P’s Cheesey.  Hoping all turns out well.

I'm now firmly planted in the suck it up and get it done camp.

Colonoscopy found a polyp (removed and biopsied, non cancerous). They also found a golf ball sized mass partially obstructing the cecum (pouch where the small and large intestine's come together).  Both the biopsy and CEA (carcinoembryonic antigen) blood test results were negative.  Still the mass needs to be surgically removed.  I was not experiencing any symptoms.  I was sent to a GI doc because routine blood tests came back with low hemoglobin and iron levels and a Fecal Occult Blood Test came back positive for blood in the stool (no blood was ever visible).

GI doc ordered CT scans of the Chest and Abdomen/Pelvis afterwards.  CT scan showed a large (9cm x 8.2cm x 7.7 cm) mass on my right kidney.  For comparison sake, an average kidney is about 11.2cm in length, so the mass is very large in relation to the kidney.  I've been referred to a Urologist at the University of Penn to have the mass/kidney removed.  No further testing has been performed.  After talking with some medical people and my own investigation, the mass will not be biopsied as kidney cancers are very mobile and they don't want to disturb it.  From my reading about 80% of such kidney masses are cancerous so I'm approaching this situation with that in mind.  My appointment at Penn is in 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll know more then.  Again, I did not experience any symptoms.  No pain, no blood, normal kidney function test results (4 times over the past year, test as a function of my diabetes).  I expect surgery to remove both the mass and kidney will happen early in 2018.  Kidney cancer, assuming it is cancer, doesn't respond well to chemo or radiation so surgery is the is the normal treatment.  I'll know a lot more after the initial consultation at Penn on 12/28.

Cheesey
Surgery asap is the best thing to do. Hope it goes well and it's not cancer. Major t's p's and  positive vibes. Xxx

Haven't been in here in a long time, so apologies if it has been discussed.
Has anyone gone without sedation? I have my consultation today and plan to ask about it. My GP thought it would be reasonable to do. 

Has anyone gone without sedation? I have my consultation today and plan to ask about it. My GP thought it would be reasonable to do. 
On my first colonoscopy, I was sedated but remained conscious throughout the procedure.  I could watch what the doctor was doing on the monitor and listen to the doctors conversation with whoever else was in the room.  On my second colonoscopy, they knocked me out.  on the third colonoscopy, I asked if they could just sedate me like they did the first time but leave me conscious.  I think they gave me some lip service like they would see what they could do....  then they knocked me out.  

So I don't know about going without any sedation at all, but when I asked to be left conscious for that last colonoscopy, they just knocked me out for it.  

It is probably easier for the medical team if you're knocked out. Plus they get to bilI for it. I just did a little Googling and some people have reported being fine with it even when they had to have polyps removed.

I did this in November. Results indicated a colonoscopy was in order. Colonoscopy done in January w/10 polyps removed, 1 needing a biopsy but all good in the end.

Fully sedated this time. 

About 20 years before I had scope done with concious sedation. Wife, she was a CRNA and was in the room, told me that I was pretty funny during the procedure. I could watch the video and provided narration like we were in the movie Fantastic Voyage.

I did this in November. Results indicated a colonoscopy was in order. Colonoscopy done in January w/10 polyps removed, 1 needing a biopsy but all good in the end.

Fully sedated this time. 

About 20 years before I had scope done with concious sedation. Wife, she was a CRNA and was in the room, told me that I was pretty funny during the procedure. I could watch the video and provided narration like we were in the movie Fantastic Voyage.
MA needs some good "one liners" to use during his procedure;

- (while looking at the monitor) "This is the schiztiest movie I've seen since Bad News Bears 2".

- "so Doc, ever do any time?"

- "oh, YEAH! ... that's just how I like it"

Okay  :D , but keep in mind, I’m a “her”  And I may end up brave enough to skip sedation, but don’t know that I need to see that monitor!

Okay  :D , but keep in mind, I’m a “her”  And I may end up brave enough to skip sedation, but don’t know that I need to see that monitor!
I'm due up in a bit for another one. I know I can do it without going under though I don't want to see the monitor, either. My bigger problem is being impatient and being knocked out erases most of that. Shoot me up, doc.

Well, I'm sorry to ruin the one-liner fun, but the doctor was relentless trying to convince me to take sedation. He said I could have the anesthesiologist hold back and see how it is going, but at that point I'd probably still be billed for him and would still need to have a pre-arranged ride pick up, so probably will just go with it. And, @Uruk-Hai , I'm not too strong in the patience area, myself.

The prep he is giving me is Clenpiq, which will require me to get up for 2nd round at 3:30am, assuming I can sleep.Might try to get back the original later appointment suggested, which would push to 5:30am, but prolong the whole event. Apparently the stuff I got last time is off the market for causing kidney failure.. :shock:  

- (while looking at the monitor) "This is the schiztiest movie I've seen since Bad News Bears 2".

“Honestly Doc, that erection is totally involuntary.  Please stop laughing.  OK, you can knock me out now.”

Call Al Gore. I know man-bear-pig is in here somewhere. 

Pissed that I didn't have a complete cleanse last aug when a pre cancer polyp was found. Not sure going to repeat it. Nowadays I don't feel like any more doc appts. 

Well that changes things just a bit doesn't it...

- "shouldn't you have bought me dinner first doc?"

- "usually I don't go this far until the second date."

- "Welcome to my amusement park doc. Roller coaster might me down for monthly repairs ... but the log ride is always open."

(and here's a uni-sex one for all to use) - "I came in for tonsillitis doc ... how long is that camera?"

:thumbup:   :lol:    :unsure:

So is it better to kill a night's sleep and get done sooner or have a chance at sleep and not have procedure til late morning/noon. I asked for an earlier time (9:30) before knowing that means Round 2 Prep would start at 3:30am and requires three glasses of water spaced 15-30 min after.

:thumbup:   :lol:    :unsure:

So is it better to kill a night's sleep and get done sooner or have a chance at sleep and not have procedure til late morning/noon. I asked for an earlier time (9:30) before knowing that means Round 2 Prep would start at 3:30am and requires three glasses of water spaced 15-30 min after.
Early as possible for me. I can sleep when I get home.

Makes sense. Maybe I should go the other way and see if I can go earlier (though the 9:30 means get there 8:30). Even if the prep doesn't keep me up, knowing I have to get up at 3:30 probably will. I'm neurotic that way.

BTW, despite what the materials say, doctor said they don't care about avoiding red and purple food any more.  :excited:

I got maybe 4 or 5 hours of sleep after starting the prep before it kicked in. Then I got no more shuteye before I had to go in. I think it hit me around midnight and I had to be at the hospital at 7. 

It's really not that bad - more annoying than anything.

A friend of mine did it without sedation, or with some form of very light pain relief of some sort. He did this on the advice of a family member who is a doctor.  It was a very bad experience for him and a decision he regretted tremendously.

My doctor said the only people he's done it for have been other doctors who were big on "control"  But maybe those were the only ones he couldn't talk out of it.  ;)  

I am scheduled for Tuesday.  My prep kit sits on the counter mocking me...
I went against doctors orders and did the Gatorade one posted here. Once it was over and he said everything was good and my cleanout was excellent, I told him. He wasn't happy that I didn't do it his way but oh well!

There is no way I would want to be anything close to awake for this.

Gimme me deep sleep and groggy recovery at home so my wife has to wait on me hand and foot and butt. 
My wife went to work when we got home. I even drove home.

Users who are viewing this thread