What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (2 Viewers)

Copeman said:
Had my 30th colonoscopy on Tuesday.
30?
Colon cancer at 21.
Sheesh. Yeah, that'll do it. Hope everything is good now.
Oh yea, all good. I carry the gene (Lynch syndrome) for colon cancer and due to the Lynch I'm at higher risk for some other cancers too, so some type of cancer will likely hit me up again before a whole lot longer (I'm 47). Just have to be vigilant with any changes in my health, make good nutrition decisions (not 100% here particularly with booze), and, cliched as it is, try to enjoy each day like it's my last.

The way I look at things, if I had been born even 20 years earlier, who knows if the cancer would have been detected or if chemo or radiation would have been around to eradicate it. I try to live like I'm on house money time.

Of course, none of the above prevents me from being an ####### from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of fellow multi-colonoscopy dudes in here. Colon cancer at 21, I have had a grand total of 30 colonscopies (I'm 47 now). Had 2 a year for a couple of years after surgery.

Weigh yourself before and after pooping commences, it might be the only thing that makes you feel good during that 18 hour period.
Whoa, how did you even find it at 21?

I'm 37 and doc wants me to get one, a little freaked out. 

Whoa, how did you even find it at 21?

I'm 37 and doc wants me to get one, a little freaked out. 
I was super lucky in two ways, first the tumor attached to the wall of the colon but grew into the colon rather than through the wall.  Second, the symptoms were pretty obvious, pain, blood, etc. and I didn't ignore them.

Much longer and it's probable that the tumor would have penetrated the colon wall and spread through the blood or lymphatic system.  The reason colon cancer is such a high % killer is that this spreading often happens before the tumor is detected.

Anyway, like I said, I was very very lucky and have tried to live the rest of my life with that in mind.

I was super lucky in two ways, first the tumor attached to the wall of the colon but grew into the colon rather than through the wall.  Second, the symptoms were pretty obvious, pain, blood, etc. and I didn't ignore them.

Much longer and it's probable that the tumor would have penetrated the colon wall and spread through the blood or lymphatic system.  The reason colon cancer is such a high % killer is that this spreading often happens before the tumor is detected.

Anyway, like I said, I was very very lucky and have tried to live the rest of my life with that in mind.
Great to hear man, was pain significant? 

I think the middle ground is to eat plenty but pick something that won't make your trips to  :toilet:  too awful.

-QG

Went in for office visit to set up colonoscopy. Not experiencing any adverse symptoms but turned 50 last year. Had colonoscopy a few years ago due to family history and that turned up clean.

Told them family history (father died of colon cancer, older brother currently battling stomach cancer) and doctor said he thinks I should look at Colaris genetic testing to see if I am susceptible to gastric cancer. Wants to know if he should do Upper GI while I'm on the table. Supposed to consist of overnight fast, gargle with solution and spit.

Spent yesterday going back and forth between insurance company (couldn't tell me cost without procedure code), doctor's office (we don't do the billing,, talk to the lab company), Myriad labs(Test costs 4 grand not sure if family history is strong enough for insurance to cover), back to insurance (unsure if they would cover, ask doctor to preauthorize it. If covered 80% is covered rest should be picked up by my HSA).

Anybody ever had the genetic testing done? Not sure I want to call doctor back and ask to preauthorize it, or ask him to just go ahead and Upper GI, or just bag the whole thing (and just do the colonoscopy)

Went in for office visit to set up colonoscopy. Not experiencing any adverse symptoms but turned 50 last year. Had colonoscopy a few years ago due to family history and that turned up clean.

Told them family history (father died of colon cancer, older brother currently battling stomach cancer) and doctor said he thinks I should look at Colaris genetic testing to see if I am susceptible to gastric cancer. Wants to know if he should do Upper GI while I'm on the table. Supposed to consist of overnight fast, gargle with solution and spit.

Spent yesterday going back and forth between insurance company (couldn't tell me cost without procedure code), doctor's office (we don't do the billing,, talk to the lab company), Myriad labs(Test costs 4 grand not sure if family history is strong enough for insurance to cover), back to insurance (unsure if they would cover, ask doctor to preauthorize it. If covered 80% is covered rest should be picked up by my HSA).

Anybody ever had the genetic testing done? Not sure I want to call doctor back and ask to preauthorize it, or ask him to just go ahead and Upper GI, or just bag the whole thing (and just do the colonoscopy)
I've had genetic testing done on me and my son.  I think it cost like $200 - $300 bucks after some insurance payment.  I always use my FSA card for this kind of stuff.

Take 4 days off and look at my calendar a few hours ago.... and I have a colonoscopy on Wednesday. Tomorrow is going to be so much fun after all the food today.

While a colonoscopy is a little personal, it's not like she's getting tested for STDs.  Lots of people get a colonoscopy done and nothing embarrassing (or overly personal) about it IMO.  
I agree with the bolded, but she's 18.  I'd say this is pretty rare and perhaps reveals some underlying health problems/concerns.

Still, kids these days share everything.  I'm surprised she didn't post the video.

You taking anything else or just a bunch of Docolax?  Regardless, you should be feeling the stirrings of your upcoming eruption any time now.
one at 10am and one at 3pm today.

5pm full bottle of Miralax with Gatorade.  32 oz in 4 glasses every 15 minutes

Tomorrow, the other 32 oz of the mix at 8:30am.

My appt is at 2:30pm.

A tiny rumble just occurred.

one at 10am and one at 3pm today.

5pm full bottle of Miralax with Gatorade.  32 oz in 4 glasses every 15 minutes

Tomorrow, the other 32 oz of the mix at 8:30am.

My appt is at 2:30pm.

A tiny rumble just occurred.
The Miralax will get the tsunami started for sure.  Batten down the hatches.

Gatorade mix makes we want to puke. It appears that are now reaching the old material.  
I had no problem with the Gatorade mix and considered myself lucky with the advice in this thread to go with that instead of the jug of stuff my doctor wanted me to take. That apparently is vile and tough to get down.

Getzlaf15 said:
I recorded my weight at the start and will let you know.

Almost four hours in.  Cramping has begun. Oh and I was starving two hours ago.  
brohans do not do this or otis will make this his diet and then we willl a colonoscpy diet thread curing the ffas ails or something and look i will do just about anything to keep the weight offf but i aint going there i will stick to the old pride of idaho taters from down underground take that to the bank 

???

I didn't need baby wipes or anything out of the ordinary. No leakage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting my prep at 2 PM eastern today to get ready for tomorrow morning.

Only good thing out of this is that I'll be home for both Euro semifinals.

on my last Gatorade mix.  Hasn't been that bad at all.  Drink and flush out.  i guess I was pretty cleaned out before this started.

Dread when i do go in for this. Last 2 days of a stomach virus...i feel like i should just go in asking the doc for a colonoscopy tomorrow,  im pretty well cleaned out now.

Partially thru the Gatorade mix, not sure how much more I actually have left in me. 

Last round of dulcolax seems like total overkill

Users who are viewing this thread