What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colonoscopy preparation today..... (1 Viewer)

Just back home.... first food in almost 48 hours.... I lost 4.5 lbs.....was told things went well..... don't remember a thing....

Finished taking everything. Now it's just laying on the couch and running to the toilet every 45 minutes.

Back home. Just demolished a cheese omelet and some white toast.

Test went fine. IV anesthesia worked like a champ. No problems found. Good for another five years

I had my first full on colonoscopy a few weeks back, in prep for my (final) surgery with my illness that began a year back... I suppose the one benefit of having a colostomy bag is that I didn't need to spend half the night on the toilet... but goodness will I be glad to be pooping like a normal human again!

FWIW, while drinking the liquid sucked, it wasn't very hard. Just need to gulp it at once, and I tried to then do the follow up waters within 10-15 min.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I have one of these it never fails to amaze me how powerful medication is.  You can be on edge and wired as hell, sleep is the last thing you'd think of doing.  The docs/nurse hit you with that Verset or similar, and bam, out like a light.  

Crazy.

Every time I have one of these it never fails to amaze me how powerful medication is.  You can be on edge and wired as hell, sleep is the last thing you'd think of doing.  The docs/nurse hit you with that Verset or similar, and bam, out like a light.  

Crazy.
yep... I remember the doc coming in, saying a few things and then waking up.

I found it interesting that the anesthesiologist (sp?) asked me a few questions about my line of work before putting me under and then again after the procedure was over. I guess they do that to make sure they didn't fry my brain or that I was fit to leave.

Has anyone ever drank all the Gatorade and not had to go?  Or what's the longest you've waited before having to go to the bathroom after drinking all the medicine?

Has anyone ever drank all the Gatorade and not had to go?  Or what's the longest you've waited before having to go to the bathroom after drinking all the medicine?
I think it took me until after the second batch before it hit me.

Partially thru the Gatorade mix, not sure how much more I actually have left in me. 

Last round of dulcolax seems like total overkill
I skipped my last round and it was the wrong choice.  I vaguely remember the nurses rough housing me during the procedure because they were not happy with my "clean out."  The stink eyes I was getting afterwards had a whole new meaning if ya know what I mean.

I skipped my last round and it was the wrong choice.  I vaguely remember the nurses rough housing me during the procedure because they were not happy with my "clean out."  The stink eyes I was getting afterwards had a whole new meaning if ya know what I mean.
lol.....   i drank everything and woke up and felt like they hadn't touched me at all.  The nurses all sent me a card in the mail.

So had a colonoscopy this am (small polyp that's it, and 30th colonoscopy I believe) and now I can't sleep.  Had to prep both Wed & Thur so probably only got 4'ish hours of sleep those nights.  After the procedure today I slept from noon until 6 and I'm still up now.  Leaving at 6am for my kid's college scholarship interview (about 2 1/2hrs away).  If I fall asleep right now I'd have to get up in 3 1/2 hrs.  Should I just stay up and power through or get what sleep I can?  Tomorrow will be a pretty long day but Sunday I can mostly chill as I prep for a job interview. 

I'm not sleepy at all.

I played old man pick up basketball the morning of my prep day.

Huge mistake. Halfway thru the prep and I was so dehydrated that I thought I would die. One of the worst days of my life.

Had my first one a few months ago.  As others have said, the prep is the worst part.  I didn't do the gatorade concoction but went with the prep kit.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  Grape flavor.  Drank it down at appointed time, with water.  Had jello the day of prep.  Went fast enough.

Procedure was at 9 AM.  Wish it was a 7 AM.  The earlier the better!  

Good drugs, was out like a light and felt nothing.  The only thing I wasn't prepared for was the bloating since they pump air into the colon during.  I woke up and felt like I swallowed a basketball.  A little pain but mostly just discomfort.

Felt better when I could get in the car and let her rip tater chip.  A little groggy but was back to myself after a little nap at home.  Everything was good and I go back in 10 years. 

Glad I got it done at 51.  Don't wait on this one, friends.  

In the waiting room.  Feel like I'm gonna hurl.  Hopefully nobody snipes me in the music draft while I'm out!  Im 42, and the youngest here.

Just went through this on Tuesday.  Prep is the worst.  I had to down 4 dulcolax tablets and 2, 10 oz bottles of that citrate crap. Then I got to drink a bunch of water after. I will fully enjoy my 10 year reprieve.

Just went through this on Tuesday.  Prep is the worst.  I had to down 4 dulcolax tablets and 2, 10 oz bottles of that citrate crap. Then I got to drink a bunch of water after. I will fully enjoy my 10 year reprieve.
I have to go every 3-4 it seems.  Just thinking of mirilax makea me want to vomit.

On the upside, the actual procedure is a cinch. Get knocked out and then it's over.
Absolute nightmare story from my work colleague a couple weeks ago. On the advice of his brother (a Dr.) he asked for some form of mild or reduced type of sedation - I don't know the details, but he was not knocked out. God only knows why he did this. I had to cut him off when he started describing what happened, but he essentially woke up in the middle of the procedure. His comments involved the words "extremely painful" before I gave him the "say no more" sign.

Mine was a piece of cake - crashed, woke up none the wiser, got the 10 year clean bill.

I was alert for at least part of my procedure. I watched the screen on the wall and saw them moving around and snipping a polyp. Felt nothing really though.

Yikes..had not seen my neighbor in about a month.  Ran into his wife at CVS and said how is everything.  Said he husband was having a colonoscopy 6 weeks ago and part his colon or intestine was punctured and was leaking into his system and he started going septic and almost died.  Was in ICU for 20 days and is still in the hospital and the had to put a bag on his side.  She said hopefully it can be reversed in time. The man is 54 and it was his first one.  Now I am paranoid as I am supposed to get my first one in the coming months. 

Yikes..had not seen my neighbor in about a month.  Ran into his wife at CVS and said how is everything.  Said he husband was having a colonoscopy 6 weeks ago and part his colon or intestine was punctured and was leaking into his system and he started going septic and almost died.  Was in ICU for 20 days and is still in the hospital and the had to put a bag on his side.  She said hopefully it can be reversed in time. The man is 54 and it was his first one.  Now I am paranoid as I am supposed to get my first one in the coming months. 
This is the best reason to have them done in hospitals.  Fortunately cases like the above are rare so while you're better off at a hospital, the odds are still very long anything bad will happen.

This is the best reason to have them done in hospitals.  Fortunately cases like the above are rare so while you're better off at a hospital, the odds are still very long anything bad will happen.
What about the non-invasive ones they are advertising?  You poop into this kit and send it to a lab.

So I'm starting to not be really high finally.  I woke up during the colonoscopy for a minute then they wacked me with drugs I assume.  I think they keep you half conscious in case you need to move around for them.  Maybe that's why this keeo happening.   It's usually the endo where I wake up.

Just read this thread as in 2.5 weeks I'll be having my first one. Funny dudes in here. I'm almost 3 years late on it. Having pelvic pain so they are insisting I get this done. The prep sounds worse than the pelvic u/s I had to do twice where you drink 32 oz of water by 1 hour to the appt and hold. Always bonus when they run 45 min late..

What I gathered in this thread is:

No meat 48 hours prior. Eat light, fruits/veggies/broth and basically fast the day before to help for an easier time in prep.

Get an early procedure time. I'm already scheduled even though I haven't seen the gastro yet to get this in before my next sx, and it's at 10:30 am. Will change that.

Ask if can do OTC stuff for the cleanse. On chemo, Equate stool softener AND laxative was gold. You want both, not one or the other to make it easier on your system. Much rather pop pills than drink that chalk ####.

Buy plenty of flushable baby wipes, gatorade, light colour jello, beef broth...

Eat light the day after.

Anything else?

Oh and as for this being covered by insurance since it's preventive, let's hope that doesn't change with the repubtard healthcare bill they are trying to shove down our throats. Scary as hell, esp if you have a life threatening dx, are at high risk for mets/recur and other lovely issues that keep cropping up.

My dad had one a few weeks ago and he had pre-cancerous polyps. Not the first time. He told me that if your parents have them, you're three-fold more at risk. So that means I'm at risk.

My wife just had one done last week and they found one pre-cancerous polyp. 

So, our kids are screwed. 

My dad had one a few weeks ago and he had pre-cancerous polyps. Not the first time. He told me that if your parents have them, you're three-fold more at risk. So that means I'm at risk.

My wife just had one done last week and they found one pre-cancerous polyp. 

So, our kids are screwed. 
Well....yes you are screwed by the only form of cancer that can be detected early.  Be thankful that your family was smart.

I may be out there some times.  But mom and dad had colon cancer.  They were never checked, they just died.  But all of us have had scopes.   And plups removed, we were smarter then them, because we knew what they had.

I may be out there some times.  But mom and dad had colon cancer.  They were never checked, they just died.  But all of us have had scopes.   And plups removed, we were smarter then them, because we knew what they had.
You should probably get gene tested, particularly if any other of their relatives got colon cancer.

i have ulcerative colitis and have bi-annual colonoscopy screening. polyps are discovered and removed every time.

How close are we to being able to detect this with some kind of blood test or something?  I'm 41 and hoping I can avoid this madness via technology.  

How close are we to being able to detect this with some kind of blood test or something?  I'm 41 and hoping I can avoid this madness via technology.  
It's really not that bad. Plus you end up losing a few pounds during the flush. Good times.

Not sure this is possible.  I had a colonoscopy where I wasn't clean and they stopped, woke me up and told me sorry not gonna happen.  My understanding is you're either clean or not clean and if you're not the procedure doesn't happen.

Had to go thru all the prep a few weeks later, don't skip the last dose.

My friend got the kit where you can send a sample of your stool to. This is only good, well if it is any good, if you aren't at risk. Friend's sis died of pancreatic cancer, dad of stomach cancer. I'm trying to get her to go for this. Of course my whining about it isn't helping.. But esp with history of cancer in the fam, not just colon, you should do it. Words from my pcp for the past 3 years, which until my lower abdominal issues which have yet to be dx'd what it is, it wasn't on top of my to do list. Now almost every ache and pain I think mets(!) so no matter how awful a test is I force myself to get checked.

Night before colonoscopy. 5 pm. Taking 4 doculax pills and a 10 oz bottle of lemon flavour magnesium citrate to go with the no red, orange, blue and not sure about green drinks. I was expecting horrible flavour but am pleasantly surprised. Tastes like pure lemon juice, very sour. I had it in the fridge for a few days as things taste better cold. After taste is like the fake sugars but not too bad. Will down lemonade after I finish this to get rid of the after taste.

5 hours in and nothing too bad. I'm sure just eating a lite tuna salad yesterday and the rest was fluids helps a lot. I will never have beef broth or chicken broth alone again. Made me nauseous and left a film in my mouth that I can't get rid of even with lemonade. That's the worst part, along with being hungry. Alarm set for 3:30 am to get up, drink last drink with 2 more pills. Friend taking me to check in 7 am and procedure around 8. Don't anticipate a horrible night.

5 hours in and nothing too bad. I'm sure just eating a lite tuna salad yesterday and the rest was fluids helps a lot. I will never have beef broth or chicken broth alone again. Made me nauseous and left a film in my mouth that I can't get rid of even with lemonade. That's the worst part, along with being hungry. Alarm set for 3:30 am to get up, drink last drink with 2 more pills. Friend taking me to check in 7 am and procedure around 8. Don't anticipate a horrible night.
Hope everything goes well.

Users who are viewing this thread