What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coxsackie Virus (1 Viewer)

El Floppo

Footballguy
Our 10mo old woke up in the middle of the night with a 103 fever and completely miserable... brought him in to the doc who said he had this "Coxsackie Virus" (as in, Coxsackie, NY) which is also called Foot and Hand Virus.

Painful ulcers in the back of the mouth that makes him completely miserable in pain, along with the fever. The Foot and Hand part of it is when the ulcers appear on- yes- his feet and hands. That hasn't happened yet.

Doc says we've got 3-4 days of this, with only Motrin to help. Poor kid can't sleep much, which means we can't sleep much- total hell for all in Floppo-land, but especially for the usually happy and smiling Floppolinho- literally nothing but tears since last night.

I dunno what to expect here- but if any of you guys knows anything first hand, or can offer any advice... I am all appreciative ears.

eta: It's "Hand Foot and Mouth" disease... I should mention that he isn't showing any signs on his hands or feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oof, that sucks. No advice, but a lot of sympathy. A sick and unhappy baby is no fun at all.

I see it every day during certain times of year as it is quite common. The hand and foot lesions are less common and look more like pimples on the palms and soles rather than the ulcerations you see in the mouth.

Because it's viral, there's nothing you give him to shorten the duration, but luckily it does only last a few days. I typically recommend a combination of Ibuprofen and/or Tylenol in conjunction with a topical numbing agent (Anbesol, Oragel, etc)) for the painful oral lesions. And keep pushing the fluids.

GL.

There are a number of viruses in that larger family that cause oral lesions (herpangina) -- not all cause the painful palm and sole lesions, too.

Don't be surprised if the lesions are there for as long as ten days. In most cases, though, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th days are the most symptomatic. If you can get through those days without too much fussing, you'll be fine. You've already hit the high points of treatment -- ibuprofen, cold liquids are the mainstays and usually take care of the vast majority of symptoms. The rare kids who have a more severe or prolonged course may need further intervention. I'm generally not a big fan of the two other pain relieving measures -- Magic Mouthwash (a concoction with benadryl and topical lidocaine which has to be applied topically -- painful) or Tylenol with Codeine (may not be any more effective than ibuprofen and comes with some constipation and sleepiness). Neither of those are a great option in infants. You might try the Orajel if it's really a struggle or consider letting the little one chew on a cold teething toy. Short of that, you need a time machine to boot you forward to the weekend. :shrug:

Severe cases in which kids refuse liquids sometimes warrant IV hydration, but those are rare enough that you shouldn't worry over that.

You should be watching for signs of dehydration (if the symptoms are severe and last over 48 hours), poor pain control, or conditions that can mimic herpangina (i.e. severe drug reactions). You may also see a skin rash with these viruses, which, although it shouldn't be concerning, would warrant a phone call to your doctor for reassurance. As always, viruses are contagious. Most kids outside the toddler age just get low grade fever and sore throat, if you've got older kids at home.

Again, though, most cases are self-limiting and don't become a big problem.

Hope the little guy is feeling better soon.

There are a number of viruses in that larger family that cause oral lesions (herpangina) -- not all cause the painful palm and sole lesions, too.Don't be surprised if the lesions are there for as long as ten days. In most cases, though, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th days are the most symptomatic. If you can get through those days without too much fussing, you'll be fine. You've already hit the high points of treatment -- ibuprofen, cold liquids are the mainstays and usually take care of the vast majority of symptoms. The rare kids who have a more severe or prolonged course may need further intervention. I'm generally not a big fan of the two other pain relieving measures -- Magic Mouthwash (a concoction with benadryl and topical lidocaine which has to be applied topically -- painful) or Tylenol with Codeine (may not be any more effective than ibuprofen and comes with some constipation and sleepiness). Neither of those are a great option in infants. You might try the Orajel if it's really a struggle or consider letting the little one chew on a cold teething toy. Short of that, you need a time machine to boot you forward to the weekend. ;)Severe cases in which kids refuse liquids sometimes warrant IV hydration, but those are rare enough that you shouldn't worry over that.You should be watching for signs of dehydration (if the symptoms are severe and last over 48 hours), poor pain control, or conditions that can mimic herpangina (i.e. severe drug reactions). You may also see a skin rash with these viruses, which, although it shouldn't be concerning, would warrant a phone call to your doctor for reassurance. As always, viruses are contagious. Most kids outside the toddler age just get low grade fever and sore throat, if you've got older kids at home.Again, though, most cases are self-limiting and don't become a big problem. Hope the little guy is feeling better soon.
:X This is much more common than one would think, especially in kids at your child's age. Everything they touch, they put in their mouths. They touch everything with their hands, and put those in their mouths.

Amazing stuff guys! Profoundly thankful for your answers.

Question for yous... I was sick myself over the weekend- steady fever for 3 days, and a bronchial/sinusitis type thing (I've got a history of chronic bronchitis). Floppolinho got sick literally the same night my own fever broke.

We're trying to figure out where he might have gotten this: Music class? Lot of instruments shoved in tiny little mouths and supposedly wiped clean before reuse. Supposedly. Swim Class? He just went for his first class... but we've got our money on that.

Or...

Could he have caught this from me? The wife would really love to have me to blame here, considering she was taking care of my whimpering butt for 3 days and is now stuck on the point with Jr (I'm still pretty sick myself, but have to sleep/work- I'm doing what I can for the little guy, but coughing up honkers onto him overnight doesn't seem like the best "wellness" plan for us right now)

Amazing stuff guys! Profoundly thankful for your answers.Question for yous... I was sick myself over the weekend- steady fever for 3 days, and a bronchial/sinusitis type thing (I've got a history of chronic bronchitis). Floppolinho got sick literally the same night my own fever broke.We're trying to figure out where he might have gotten this: Music class? Lot of instruments shoved in tiny little mouths and supposedly wiped clean before reuse. Supposedly. Swim Class? He just went for his first class... but we've got our money on that.Or...Could he have caught this from me? The wife would really love to have me to blame here, considering she was taking care of my whimpering butt for 3 days and is now stuck on the point with Jr (I'm still pretty sick myself, but have to sleep/work- I'm doing what I can for the little guy, but coughing up honkers onto him overnight doesn't seem like the best "wellness" plan for us right now)
Could have been any of the above or an unrelated exposure. More likely the musical instruments (or another source at the music class) given that you're pretty likely to have had what the little guy has now when you were much younger. And, depending on the virus, certain incubation periods might mean that the illness he gets next week might be the one you have this week. :confused: Sorry. Less likely the swim class. But it's really impossible to know.Music class for 10 month olds? How's that going?

Amazing stuff guys! Profoundly thankful for your answers.Question for yous... I was sick myself over the weekend- steady fever for 3 days, and a bronchial/sinusitis type thing (I've got a history of chronic bronchitis). Floppolinho got sick literally the same night my own fever broke.We're trying to figure out where he might have gotten this: Music class? Lot of instruments shoved in tiny little mouths and supposedly wiped clean before reuse. Supposedly. Swim Class? He just went for his first class... but we've got our money on that.Or...Could he have caught this from me? The wife would really love to have me to blame here, considering she was taking care of my whimpering butt for 3 days and is now stuck on the point with Jr (I'm still pretty sick myself, but have to sleep/work- I'm doing what I can for the little guy, but coughing up honkers onto him overnight doesn't seem like the best "wellness" plan for us right now)
Ours had this too in the same timeframe. It's about a week and it's over. Everybody gets this at some point. Just pump them full of advil or whatever round the clock and wait it out.

Well, that was a ####ty week. :goodposting:

But Floppolihno is completely back to health today (sleeping and eating like normal).

Thanks again for the advice and info... sometimes I just want to hug the FFA.

Ok so a kid in day care was diagnosed with this. A few days later my son got a rash and a mild sore throat. Brought him to the doctor and mentioned the other kid had coxsackie and the doc said he didnt think it was that because my son would be in a lot of pain and his rash was on his leg, butt, and face, not anywhere it usually is displayed (hands, feet, throat).

Anyway about a week later i get horrible tonsilitis. Goto doc and he gives me antibiotic which doesnt do much. Today i woke up with a rash all over my arm, nose and one on my finger that feels like i have a splinter. Anyone know if its possible if my son got a very mild case of coxsackie and i got a worse case? My throat is still killing me. Going on 3 days without solid foods.

shadyridr said:
Ok so a kid in day care was diagnosed with this. A few days later my son got a rash and a mild sore throat. Brought him to the doctor and mentioned the other kid had coxsackie and the doc said he didnt think it was that because my son would be in a lot of pain and his rash was on his leg, butt, and face, not anywhere it usually is displayed (hands, feet, throat).

Anyway about a week later i get horrible tonsilitis. Goto doc and he gives me antibiotic which doesnt do much. Today i woke up with a rash all over my arm, nose and one on my finger that feels like i have a splinter. Anyone know if its possible if my son got a very mild case of coxsackie and i got a worse case? My throat is still killing me. Going on 3 days without solid foods.
Wouldn't be surprised...it's very contagious.

#1 reason I hate going to theme parks - specifically water parks.

Great Wolf Lodge

Hershey Park

Perti dish of bacteria

shadyridr said:

Kids get it from eating other kids ####. Adults dont usually get it because they dont eat kids ####. You been eating ####?

shadyridr said:

Kids get it from eating other kids ####. Adults dont usually get it because they dont eat kids ####. You been eating ####?
i eat pieces of #### like you for breakfast.

fwiw- I think it's likely how you respond to it is going to be different than your kid... so yeah, it's possible.

hope you and kid are feeling better soon.

Just got a notice from daycare that a kid in our son's room was just diagnosed with this. I'm praying our kid doesn't get this. He's had an ear infection off and on for a month, and just started getting over the latest one. He was sick half the winter, and now this...Anybody know how contagious this crap is? I'm getting sick of missing days of work b/c our daycare seems to be a communicable disease playground.

Just got a notice from daycare that a kid in our son's room was just diagnosed with this. I'm praying our kid doesn't get this. He's had an ear infection off and on for a month, and just started getting over the latest one. He was sick half the winter, and now this...Anybody know how contagious this crap is? I'm getting sick of missing days of work b/c our daycare seems to be a communicable disease playground.
It's very contagious but severity varies it seems. My daughter had it and had a few bumps and sores. My son had it was hard to find a place to touch him where it didn't hurt.

Our 10mo old woke up in the middle of the night with a 103 fever and completely miserable... brought him in to the doc who said he had this "Coxsackie Virus" (as in, Coxsackie, NY) which is also called Foot and Hand Virus.

Painful ulcers in the back of the mouth that makes him completely miserable in pain, along with the fever. The Foot and Hand part of it is when the ulcers appear on- yes- his feet and hands. That hasn't happened yet.

Doc says we've got 3-4 days of this, with only Motrin to help. Poor kid can't sleep much, which means we can't sleep much- total hell for all in Floppo-land, but especially for the usually happy and smiling Floppolinho- literally nothing but tears since last night.

I dunno what to expect here- but if any of you guys knows anything first hand, or can offer any advice... I am all appreciative ears.

eta: It's "Hand Foot and Mouth" disease... I should mention that he isn't showing any signs on his hands or feet.
IIRC it's one of those kids diseases than they all get, but no one tells you about until you have kids. Like the "no sleep for six months" thing. The silence is evolutionary IMO -- societies that talked about it soon died out.

There was an all-over red body rash mixed in there at some point that surprised no one too, but I can't remember what it's called.

See my last post Nick. I was literally sick for the better part of 18 months after our kid started daycare. Repeated ear infections -- clogged for months at a time. Ruptured eardrum. Too many colds to count. Flu. Norovirus. Cytomegalovirus (with nerve damage in back and hips). Good times!

Between my kid being in daycare and me being at a poker table for 20 or so hours a week a few years back my family had antibodies against Ebola and other things much worse.

See my last post Nick. I was literally sick for the better part of 18 months after our kid started daycare. Repeated ear infections -- clogged for months at a time. Ruptured eardrum. Too many colds to count. Flu. Norovirus. Cytomegalovirus (with nerve damage in back and hips). Good times!
I've been sick for a month now... :hifive:

GL, FatNick Jr.

if he gets it, you just ride it out with Motrin. sucks for everybody under your roof- but especially the kid.

Pretty sure Coxsackie was an alias I used on the Mansfield Town message board I frequented a few years ago

GL, FatNick Jr.

if he gets it, you just ride it out with Motrin. sucks for everybody under your roof- but especially the kid.
Gracias. I hope he manages to avoid this one. Poor little guy has had a rough few months. Nearly lost one of his bottom teeth over Memorial Day. That one had us both going nuts b/c he was bleeding and crying and he looked like a boxer. Thank god it was just really loose and seems to be OK now.

GL, FatNick Jr.

Gracias. I hope he manages to avoid this one. Poor little guy has had a rough few months. Nearly lost one of his bottom teeth over Memorial Day. That one had us both going nuts b/c he was bleeding and crying and he looked like a boxer. Thank god it was just really loose and seems to be OK now.
worst part for us was that he used his bottle as a pacifier as well as for food. with the lesions in his mouth it hurt him to go to the bottle, so no pacification. had to just walk him around in our arms until he'd go down.

damn- that sucked, but I kinda miss carrying either of the kids around like that... so little.

Good Lord...what do people that live in that area call themselves?

Coxsackians?

Coxsackers?

Son had this almost a year ago, affected the wife 10 times worse than him. It's contagious as all get-up.

My kid picked it up at daycare at it was bad. But then my wife got it from him and it was torture. The blisters on her hands and feet were so bad she couldn't walk, open a pill bottle, sleep... I got one blister on my toe and a day of fever. GL. Keep your kid home a few days if you can.

El Floppo said:
Fat Nick said:
El Floppo said:
GL, FatNick Jr.

worst part for us was that he used his bottle as a pacifier as well as for food. with the lesions in his mouth it hurt him to go to the bottle, so no pacification. had to just walk him around in our arms until he'd go down.

damn- that sucked, but I kinda miss carrying either of the kids around like that... so little.
We just took him off the pacifier this weekend. Working OK so far. He got to keep it a week longer b/c of the tooth. I can't even imagine if drinking a bottle hurt b/c that's the one thing that calms him.

I agree - I love carrying the little guy upstairs for bed after his last bottle. He's just so peaceful and cuddly.

Nick Vermeil said:
My kid picked it up at daycare at it was bad. But then my wife got it from him and it was torture. The blisters on her hands and feet were so bad she couldn't walk, open a pill bottle, sleep... I got one blister on my toe and a day of fever. GL. Keep your kid home a few days if you can.
Oof...Neither the wife nor I can afford that kind of stuff. I wish we could keep the little guy home, but we're both buried at work. It's a juggling act just to get him to and from daycare lately. I feel like I need a break from life sometimes.

tdoss said:
Good Lord...what do people that live in that area call themselves?

Coxsackians?

Coxsackers?
I used to go with Coxsackers. Spent a few weeks there during back to back years for work. Holy hell was that awful. Nearest and best "hotel" was a weird B&B type inn 45 minutes away. There's some weird kind of Amish cult there too.

On Monday our daycare sent out an infectious disease notice that a kid in my son's room had a confirmed case of Coxsackie. Yesterday he came home with some small bumps, mainly on his arms, and a few bigger bumps on his hands and feet. Nothing too bad, but we took him to the doctor this AM.

Confirmed Coxsackie. Great. He's got to stay out of daycare for 2 days. Wife is with him today, and I'm with him tomorrow. Praying neither of us get it.

In the last month, one of us has had to take off work for random kid problems, including an ear infection, surgery to get tubes put in, follow-up for the tubes, diarrhea, and now Coxsackie. We have 1 kid, and both work. I honestly don't know how people have careers and kids without hiring a full-time stay at home nanny. Neither of us can get through a month without multiple days off. And it's not like you can get much work done at home with him either because when he's sick he's super needy.

gl, nick.

yeah- those first years are freaking tough with the kid petrie-dish coming home with every possible ailment. our son came home from Kindergarten one day with Scarlet Fever. like a Dickens' novel. Thanks NYC public schools. two full-time working parents means you can afford to get a sitter at least.

gl, nick.

yeah- those first years are freaking tough with the kid petrie-dish coming home with every possible ailment. our son came home from Kindergarten one day with Scarlet Fever. like a Dickens' novel. Thanks NYC public schools. two full-time working parents means you can afford to get a sitter at least.
Scarlet Fever? Jesus.

Re. the sitter - I mentioned to the wife that it might make sense to at least consider finding someone. Our challenge is that we're both transplants with no family, and limited friends in the are where we live. Our closest friends live 20 minutes away, but both work full-time as well (and are expecting their 1st kid any day now).

Our normal "Parent's night out" babysitter works for the daycare full-time as well, so she's unavailable should the kid get sick and not be able to go in to daycare. I think we need to find a babysitting granny or something somewhere.

Fat Nick said:
On Monday our daycare sent out an infectious disease notice that a kid in my son's room had a confirmed case of Coxsackie. Yesterday he came home with some small bumps, mainly on his arms, and a few bigger bumps on his hands and feet. Nothing too bad, but we took him to the doctor this AM.

Confirmed Coxsackie. Great. He's got to stay out of daycare for 2 days. Wife is with him today, and I'm with him tomorrow. Praying neither of us get it.

In the last month, one of us has had to take off work for random kid problems, including an ear infection, surgery to get tubes put in, follow-up for the tubes, diarrhea, and now Coxsackie. We have 1 kid, and both work. I honestly don't know how people have careers and kids without hiring a full-time stay at home nanny. Neither of us can get through a month without multiple days off. And it's not like you can get much work done at home with him either because when he's sick he's super needy.
Welcome to the club. Daycare is a complete germ fest. Once my son went to Kindergarten he stopped getting sick. He had perfect attendance Sept, Oct, Nov, & Dec of 2014. We sent him back to his old daycare this summer and he's already been sick twice.

Users who are viewing this thread