What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SSL IV Commentary Thread (1 Viewer)

Sjax over LT and AD is a little surprising but it's not like you choose Larry Johnson with the #1 pick. I like SJax and I think that he will have a solid year if he stays healthy.

What's the fun in doing what everyone else is doing. Besides, we've been waiting so long for this thing to get off the ground, I thought I'd start it off with a bang!

If I were redrafting right now in a standard League that allowed trading during the Draft, I would have traded down to 3, and taken Jackson there. He's got an interesting schedule, with 6 Divisional Games where he should run wild vs some tough draws like the NFC East and the Patriots, but all in all, I see his situation improving and the Rams as a Team on the upswing. I'm excited to see what Al Saunders does with the weapons at his disposal without Gibbs overruling his play-calls.

Can't talk about any of the other 287 Players I chose not to select until the Draft moves on, but I definitely have my reasons for taking Jackson over a few other guys.

As they come off the board, I'll offer some comentary as to why chose this route.

Looking forward to the 2.16/3.01 Swing!

Guess everyone's absolutely stunned that I took Jackson at 1.01... :shrug:
Speechless! :thumbup:However, it appears that having to choose between LT & ADP has rendered teamramrod catatonic with surprise. :D
I took LT, but was very tempted by Peterson. I just like that LT gets more touches, especially in the passing game.The Jackson pick, was, well - he's not in my top-5 so, ya know...

Went with Portis at 1.05. He has a lot of tread off the tires, but I still think he can be counted on in a redraft. I have more faith in his talent than I do the other options in that range.

Went with Portis at 1.05. He has a lot of tread off the tires, but I still think he can be counted on in a redraft. I have more faith in his talent than I do the other options in that range.
I would have taken Portis if you didn't.And to the SJax pick, if you are in a league where you can't trade down, you take the player that you think has the most value. If you think Portis will be the #1 RB this year and you have the 1.01, then you take him because you can't trade down.

I like Portis as well - being a 16 team draft, it makes things very difficult to land players you want... without reaching a little.

I would have taken Portis if you didn't.And to the SJax pick, if you are in a league where you can't trade down, you take the player that you think has the most value. If you think Portis will be the #1 RB this year and you have the 1.01, then you take him because you can't trade down.
So no trades in this draft?

So no trades in this draft?
Right, no trades allowed.

1.01 nittanylion

1.02 switz

1.03 El Super Gringo

1.04 Road Warriors

1.05 EBF

1.06 Gamma1210

1.07 wraith5

1.08 anthony borbely

1.09 Norsemen

1.10 beachbum

1.11 MOP

1.12 bostonfred

1.13 comet

1.14 Steel Dillo

1.15 commuterman

1.16 teamramrod

This is full of people I don't see often in the Shark Pool. Outside of the 4 in bold, few of the names look familiar at all, this is gonna be really really tough.

Guess everyone's absolutely stunned that I took Jackson at 1.01... :lmao:
Speechless! :popcorn:However, it appears that having to choose between LT & ADP has rendered teamramrod catatonic with surprise. :D
I took LT, but was very tempted by Peterson. I just like that LT gets more touches, especially in the passing game.The Jackson pick, was, well - he's not in my top-5 so, ya know...
When they're all off the board, I'd be interested in knowing what 5 RB you have ahead of Jackson for 2008. Then we can trade analysis as to why that might be. Obviously, I have between 31 and infinity BEHIND him so, ya know... :D Seriously, though, it will be interesting to compare/contrast two diametrically opposed POV

Teamramrod takes Brady and Manning back-to-back... :ptts: Interesting strategy that will probably not pan out IMHO since one of those guys will be sitting each week.

Teamramrod takes Brady and Manning back-to-back... :boxing: Interesting strategy that will probably not pan out IMHO since one of those guys will be sitting each week.
Interesting is one way to put it. He locks up stud production at QB every week, but at what cost? He could've had two impact starters there instead of just one.

Teamramrod takes Brady and Manning back-to-back... :boxing: Interesting strategy that will probably not pan out IMHO since one of those guys will be sitting each week.
Interesting is one way to put it. He locks up stud production at QB every week, but at what cost? He could've had two impact starters there instead of just one.
Add in he'll be seriously weak at other positions now.

Teamramrod takes Brady and Manning back-to-back... :lmao: Interesting strategy that will probably not pan out IMHO since one of those guys will be sitting each week.
Plus they both have the same bye week...

Teamramrod takes Brady and Manning back-to-back... :shock: Interesting strategy that will probably not pan out IMHO since one of those guys will be sitting each week.
OUCHlook out he'll be the guy that grabs 5 QBs

Teamramrod takes Brady and Manning back-to-back... :confused: Interesting strategy that will probably not pan out IMHO since one of those guys will be sitting each week.
Great....I hope he doesn't bail on this abortion.New survivor nickname should be TeamErik.

Teamramrod takes Brady and Manning back-to-back... :moneybag: Interesting strategy that will probably not pan out IMHO since one of those guys will be sitting each week.
Great....I hope he doesn't bail on this abortion.New survivor nickname should be TeamErik.
Is this a Stern reference? The same BYE week is the icing on the cake for this strategy. There will be a lot of points left on the bench the first three weeks, and after that it may not matter.

Taking Manning and Brady back-to-back will not only impact Teamramrod but will have rippling effects to the rest of us as teams adjust to this strategy. Especially in light of the fact that both QBs have the same bye week. No doubt there will be another QB selected by Teamramrod... what happens if that comes in round 3 for him???

Teamramrod takes Brady and Manning back-to-back... :( Interesting strategy that will probably not pan out IMHO since one of those guys will be sitting each week.
:lol:

So the guy who could've had Tomlinson took Jackson, leaving him to the other guy who could have had Tomlinson, but timed out, so he went to the end of the draft and took Brady and Manning. Is that about right?

In the PDSL, I took Manning at 2.02 and never fully recovered. It was hard enough recovering from going with 1 QB early. I can't imagine the skill/luck teamarod is going to have to have to come out with quality at the other positions after going QB in 1 & 2.

bostonfred said:
So the guy who could've had Tomlinson took Jackson, leaving him to the other guy who could have had Tomlinson, but timed out, so he went to the end of the draft and took Brady and Manning. Is that about right?
:lmao:

Shadowfax said:
Teamramrod takes Brady and Manning back-to-back... :confused: Interesting strategy that will probably not pan out IMHO since one of those guys will be sitting each week.
:doh:
He could win immunity in week 3...of course Boston Fred will likely talk him into giving it to him use in week 4.

LMAO, BF...that about sums it up.

I planned on being disruptive, but little did I know my nefarious scheming would have such a percussive effect...MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I dunno, as a rule, I don't participate in Mocks until after the NFL Draft. If I start slotting players that early, I develop impressions that are difficult to purge when major post-draft transitions occur.

So, Steven Jackson at the 1.01...there were only 2, maybe 3 other RB's I considered with the Pick:

Tomlinson - somewhat worried about LT without having his backup around to keep him fresh, and on the sidelines when the game is in hand. Before, they had a guy that could actually BE LT when he took a breather. There's not a player in that backfield, in my opinion capable of plugging in and doing the things his former backup could. This could be the year the tread starts to wear thin on the tires...

Adrian Peterson - Every Team in the NFL with Minn on the schedule for '08 has already broken down the Peterson Highlight Reel multiple times. Not only that, there's this phenomenon in scouting that's like a side-effect - when you're scouting one guy, inadvertently, you get a scouting report on his TeamMates. No doubt, every one of them has seen everything about his QB as well, and that's something I'd rather have to work against than work with.

Westbrook - I hit the motherlode with Westbrook last year, and promptly traded him away, happy to have dodged any bullets involving the Player and the Team. I think there are Fantasy Starters on that Team, and don't doubt that if he plays 16 Games, he'll be worthy of a Top 5 Pick, but in Survivor, you have to bank on consistency, and I'll be darned if I'm going to be worried about the Injury Report come every Sunday AM in a League where I have no control over roster decisions, no trades, and no waivers. Too much ancillary Draft Planning has to go into taking a guy like that.

Addai - the whole recent mess involving the WR there has me spooked, I'll admit. If we take this Draft as a snapshot in time, right now, the Colts, in my opinion, have to many variables to take into account to accurately evaluate what to expect in September. They've signed a former backup, and drafted a someone I'd be absolutely uninterested in if he'd landed in any other scheme, but in this one, the sky might be the limit. Go figure. I'm not even gonna try right now.

As far as Jackson goes, I'm so excited to see what Al Saunders is going to do with all the weaps at his disposal in St Louis. As a local Redskins guy who gets his share of inside scoop straight from the Park, I can say with a certain degree of optimism that Gibbs held Saunders back last year, and that Saunders has been given carte blanche to prove this to the rest of the NFL in 2008. Smart move, Al, getting the backup QB you acquired for peanuts compared to what it would have cost to acquire the Redskins backup on the open market. Keep the QB Tandem upright, and everything else will follow, and give Jackson a very good chance to be the Statistically-strongest RB in 2008, and a worthy 1st Overall Selection.

That was very hard to do without mentioning the names of Players who haven't been drafted yet.

Shadowfax said:
Teamramrod takes Brady and Manning back-to-back... :goodposting: Interesting strategy that will probably not pan out IMHO since one of those guys will be sitting each week.
:goodposting:
He could win immunity in week 3...of course Boston Fred will likely talk him into giving it to him use in week 4.
ah now i got ya

LMAO, BF...that about sums it up.

I planned on being disruptive, but little did I know my nefarious scheming would have such a percussive effect...MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I dunno, as a rule, I don't participate in Mocks until after the NFL Draft. If I start slotting players that early, I develop impressions that are difficult to purge when major post-draft transitions occur.

So, Steven Jackson at the 1.01...there were only 2, maybe 3 other RB's I considered with the Pick:

Tomlinson - somewhat worried about LT without having his backup around to keep him fresh, and on the sidelines when the game is in hand. Before, they had a guy that could actually BE LT when he took a breather. There's not a player in that backfield, in my opinion capable of plugging in and doing the things his former backup could. This could be the year the tread starts to wear thin on the tires...

Adrian Peterson - Every Team in the NFL with Minn on the schedule for '08 has already broken down the Peterson Highlight Reel multiple times. Not only that, there's this phenomenon in scouting that's like a side-effect - when you're scouting one guy, inadvertently, you get a scouting report on his TeamMates. No doubt, every one of them has seen everything about his QB as well, and that's something I'd rather have to work against than work with.

Westbrook - I hit the motherlode with Westbrook last year, and promptly traded him away, happy to have dodged any bullets involving the Player and the Team. I think there are Fantasy Starters on that Team, and don't doubt that if he plays 16 Games, he'll be worthy of a Top 5 Pick, but in Survivor, you have to bank on consistency, and I'll be darned if I'm going to be worried about the Injury Report come every Sunday AM in a League where I have no control over roster decisions, no trades, and no waivers. Too much ancillary Draft Planning has to go into taking a guy like that.

Addai - the whole recent mess involving the WR there has me spooked, I'll admit. If we take this Draft as a snapshot in time, right now, the Colts, in my opinion, have to many variables to take into account to accurately evaluate what to expect in September. They've signed a former backup, and drafted a someone I'd be absolutely uninterested in if he'd landed in any other scheme, but in this one, the sky might be the limit. Go figure. I'm not even gonna try right now.

As far as Jackson goes, I'm so excited to see what Al Saunders is going to do with all the weaps at his disposal in St Louis. As a local Redskins guy who gets his share of inside scoop straight from the Park, I can say with a certain degree of optimism that Gibbs held Saunders back last year, and that Saunders has been given carte blanche to prove this to the rest of the NFL in 2008. Smart move, Al, getting the backup QB you acquired for peanuts compared to what it would have cost to acquire the Redskins backup on the open market. Keep the QB Tandem upright, and everything else will follow, and give Jackson a very good chance to be the Statistically-strongest RB in 2008, and a worthy 1st Overall Selection.

That was very hard to do without mentioning the names of Players who haven't been drafted yet.
I'll just highlight those concerns you had about other players, and mention that to me they apply to Jackson as well, if not more so.

I'm hoping this draft moves along because my access over the weekend will be limited.
switz, this is a slow draft with an eight hour clock. the clock is turned off overnight. you may want to check the rules, which are pinned at the top of the mock drafts forum. you seem to have caught on to rule #1, which is that the new guy always #####es about the clock.

I'm hoping this draft moves along because my access over the weekend will be limited.
switz, this is a slow draft with an eight hour clock. the clock is turned off overnight. you may want to check the rules, which are pinned at the top of the mock drafts forum. you seem to have caught on to rule #1, which is that the new guy always #####es about the clock.
I know it's a slow draft, it's just that my 2 picks will likely arrive over the weekend. That's all I'm concerned about. :goodposting:Eh, with 8 picks or so to go before me, I'm probably safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.16 tom brady

2.1 peyton manning
This strategy is absolutely stunning!!! Pretty much a waste of a pick. Can't wait to see what he grabs after 30 picks go off the board. What would truly be amazing is if he wins this league.
While I don't share the urge to be combative about it, I definitely agree that this is a unique and puzzling strategy. And, I might add, one that couldn't have been pulled off from the #2 slot.

ETA: AND they both have the same BYE week (4)
That was my 1st question...same bye week?However I want to see the rest of the draft before I make any final conclusions. The draft was pretty boring up to that point with everyone just loading in FBG cheatsheets basically, so I actually like it as it gives us something to talk about for the next 3 weeks.
Are you including yourself in that statement, MoP? :)

I don't know how often you see huge variation in first rounds, but typically I see them all about the same.

I know it's a slow draft, it's just that my 2 picks will likely arrive over the weekend. That's all I'm concerned about. :coffee:Eh, with 8 picks or so to go before me, I'm probably safe.
Best thing to do is to pm a list to one of the guys around here with no life and then check out for the weekend. In SSL2 I sent out lists for the next 3 rounds and then took a 4 day holiday.

1.16 tom brady

2.1 peyton manning
This strategy is absolutely stunning!!! Pretty much a waste of a pick. Can't wait to see what he grabs after 30 picks go off the board. What would truly be amazing is if he wins this league.
While I don't share the urge to be combative about it, I definitely agree that this is a unique and puzzling strategy. And, I might add, one that couldn't have been pulled off from the #2 slot.

That was my 1st question...same bye week?However I want to see the rest of the draft before I make any final conclusions. The draft was pretty boring up to that point with everyone just loading in FBG cheatsheets basically, so I actually like it as it gives us something to talk about for the next 3 weeks.
Are you including yourself in that statement, MoP? :rolleyes:

I don't know how often you see huge variation in first rounds, but typically I see them all about the same.
I guess I don't read FBGs cheatsheets, because I thought there were numerous REACH picks so far...

1.16 tom brady

2.1 peyton manning

Are you including yourself in that statement, MoP? :mellow:

I guess I don't read FBGs cheatsheets, because I thought there were numerous REACH picks so far...
Discuss? I'd have a hard time believing ANYONE's Top 5 RB's aren't off the board, which makes them free fodder for discussion. Would love to see your Top 5, in order.TIA, will answer yours.

And here is why....

1. I was at work and let my girlfriend pick for me.

2. http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2007/home/14877

It is actually 2, though she did type in the picks I told her too.

The link is to a hardcore league that i have been in for years. Three years ago, a guy took TO and Randy Moss with his first two picks. This past year, the same guy did the same thing. His team is the Thundering Mora's and he walked away with cash.

Now let me give you some reasons why I am not crazy.

1. Look at the RBs still on the board at 1.16. Do you see any studs?

2. There are a ton of threads on the main forum about RBBC and the changes it has made to FF. Picking RB, RB with your first two picks is no longer a hard and fast rule.

3. TB and PM are Studs+. Week 4 I am holding my breath, going to church 3 times a week and helping old ladies across the street. The rest of the time, I will lead this league in QB scoring. Can any other team say that about any other position?

4. None of you all have TB or PM :thumbup:

5. Look at the RBs and WRs still on the board. I get 3.16 and 4.1. I will still come away with 2 starting RBs. or maybe I wont.......... (not tipping my draft hand.) But come on. I was the guy laughing at Thundering Moras last year and look where I finished, winning the Toilet Bowl.

6. My stones are the size of basketballs. :excited: You all know that deep down inside, you wanted to try a move like this. Albeit, (yes Bears fan, it is a word) this is a free league with nothing at stake, but still, I will archive this thread and repost like a blogger on Mt Dew mixed with Red Bull in January if I pull this off.

7. I have not searched the boards, but how many of the commentators also posted that Bilichek destroyed the Pats chemistry last year wit the Moss signing? :popcorn:

Now for your worries.

BnB, I wont bail on this so-called abortion :boxing: To quote Kid Rock, I am in it to win it like Yzerman....

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
And here is why....

The link is to a hardcore league that i have been in for years. Three years ago, a guy took TO and Randy Moss with his first two picks. This past year, the same guy did the same thing. His team is the Thundering Mora's and he walked away with cash.

2. There are a ton of threads on the main forum about RBBC and the changes it has made to FF. Picking RB, RB with your first two picks is no longer a hard and fast rule.

3. TB and PM are Studs+. Week 4 I am holding my breath, going to church 3 times a week and helping old ladies across the street. The rest of the time, I will lead this league in QB scoring. Can any other team say that about any other position?

5. Look at the RBs and WRs still on the board. I get 3.16 and 4.1. I will still come away with 2 starting RBs. or maybe I wont.......... (not tipping my draft hand.) But come on. I was the guy laughing at Thundering Moras last year and look where I finished, winning the Toilet Bowl.

6. My stones are the size of basketballs. :excited: You all know that deep down inside, you wanted to try a move like this. Albeit, (yes Bears fan, it is a word) this is a free league with nothing at stake, but still, I will archive this thread and repost like a blogger on Mt Dew mixed with Red Bull in January if I pull this off.

7. I have not searched the boards, but how many of the commentators also posted that Bilichek destroyed the Pats chemistry last year wit the Moss signing? :popcorn:

Now for your worries.

BnB, I wont bail on this so-called abortion :boxing: To quote Kid Rock, I am in it to win it like Yzerman....

Peace
1. Yes. There were three I would have considered at 2.5 that won't be there at 3.12. I would be thrilled to have any of them, but I wanted Fitzgerald. 2. Nobody has picked RB, RB so far. The second round has gone QB (you), WR, WR, WR, WR, WR, WR, WR so far. You're going to be way behind at WR now.

3. Someone will be able to say that about every position. The guy with Tomlinson will probably lay claim to the #1 RB position, unless the first guy to go RB, RB does. But yes, I agree that you're going to score more at QB than most of the rest of us.

4. None of us have Brady or Manning. But just about all of us will have two quarterbacks to try to come up with the same score you get at QB each week.

5. If you come away with 2 starting RBs at the next two rounds, you will have no receivers. If you take two receivers, you'll have no running backs.

6. You may have elephantitis. People with that condition usually complain about their aching balls.

7. I agree that drafting Brady and Manning on the same team will not adversely affect your fantasy team's chemistry.

And here is why....

7. I have not searched the boards, but how many of the commentators also posted that Bilichek destroyed the Pats chemistry last year wit the Moss signing? :banned:

Now for your worries.

Peace
Cool and good luck. Look out if Romo or Brees are on the board at the 3/4 turn.

Boldin = most underrated WR in the NFL
How do you figure that? The thing I don't like about Boldin is that 1/2 of his games end up being pedestrian or worse. Sure, he blows up in the other 1/2 and catches a dozen balls for 120 yds or 2 TDs... but in this format I think that's a lot of risk for a 2nd round pick. Steve Smith, on the other hand, has all of the pieces in place to have another 2005 season this year.

The only active WR with a higher career yards/game average than Boldin is Torry Holt.

Boldin is a bankable WR1 who catches tons of balls and racks up yardage, yet he never gets the hype of the other elite receivers.

The only active WR with a higher career yards/game average than Boldin is Torry Holt. Boldin is a bankable WR1 who catches tons of balls and racks up yardage, yet he never gets the hype of the other elite receivers.
then why is he always gone before i can pick him?

The only active WR with a higher career yards/game average than Boldin is Torry Holt. Boldin is a bankable WR1 who catches tons of balls and racks up yardage, yet he never gets the hype of the other elite receivers.
then why is he always gone before i can pick him?
Because you wait until he'd provide the best value on the board before you'd pick him?

Users who are viewing this thread